F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

• 2 weeks later...
quick question for the pro's. I have a custom skin that changes to another skin when I zoom away from the jet in external camera. How do I fix this?

you need to do work on the HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.dds file. I have a skin I downloaded, where the original person who made the skin, never worked on that file, so when I zoomed out it was an entirely different skin.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there anyone else whom is getting weird pixelation in their skins similar to what happens with reds currently? I'll post some pics in a moment, but no matter what I do my skins become very pixelated compared to anyone else's I use in-game.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Is there anyone else whom is getting weird pixelation in their skins similar to what happens with reds currently? I'll post some pics in a moment, but no matter what I do my skins become very pixelated compared to anyone else's I use in-game.

I'm having these since 2.5.3 (ie before HB F-14 is out), and not only red edges. The blue edges on the pupin dog CAG skin have that too.

I'm having these since 2.5.3 (ie before HB F-14 is out), and not only red edges. The blue edges on the pupin dog CAG skin have that too.

So I figured out one thing, I wasn't saving my dds with mipmaps! This was causing everything to because very pixelated especially decals, but now it's all good!

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

So I figured out one thing, I wasn't saving my dds with mipmaps! This was causing everything to because very pixelated especially decals, but now it's all good!

Oh..

I removed mipmaps from every skin I fly (don't have time to batch convert those AI skins yet)......

But then, still DCS problem as those texture without mipmaps show normally before 2.5.3 (up to certain OB ver, didn't exact remember the number tho). :joystick:

Anyone else have a problem with the tail.psd not opening, due to some sort of "unexpected end of file" warning? Every other .psd opens just fine, just not the tail one.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Anyone else have a problem with the tail.psd not opening, due to some sort of "unexpected end of file" warning? Every other .psd opens just fine, just not the tail one.

Usually that means that the file has been corrupted on disk, though sometimes it means that the file has the wrong extension and can't be read correctly. (From PS Help)

Try unzipping the template again or downloading a new one.

Usually that means that the file has been corrupted on disk, though sometimes it means that the file has the wrong extension and can't be read correctly. (From PS Help)

Try unzipping the template again or downloading a new one.

That's what I thought, and yet the next two downloads all did the same thing. I grabbed them from the link in this thread, Mediafire I think?

Weird that all the others work just fine.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

That's what I thought, and yet the next two downloads all did the same thing. I grabbed them from the link in this thread, Mediafire I think?

Weird that all the others work just fine.

What program and version of said program are you using to open the .psd files??

What program and version of said program are you using to open the .psd files??

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 x64, according to the Help window.

I've used Paint Shop Pro for years and years for skinning, but it wouldn't open these newer .psd's, so I purchased a license for Photoshop. It opens every other .psd in the zip just fine, not the tail one for some strange reason.

Baby Steps in Photoshop

Just a few questions as I am a complete newbie to Photoshop and this paintkit.

1. In the paintkit I see various liveries in their own layer. Do I just start to work on one of the existing layers and can I then save it under another name?

Or what is the best way to go about that?

2. These is quite a few fonts missing, how do I find them?

3. When I am done with being artistic, how do I save the file to something less gargantuan as 1 Gigabyte?

What is the process from being done with the artwork to make sure it works ingame?

Thank you All! :D

1. In the paintkit I see various liveries in their own layer. Do I just start to work on one of the existing layers and can I then save it under another name?

3. When I am done with being artistic, how do I save the file to something less gargantuan as 1 Gigabyte?

What is the process from being done with the artwork to make sure it works ingame?

Thank you All! :D

Awesome screename.

Yes start a new layer in a new folder. to keep it neat and tidy..

What I did was deleted all the liveries but kept a few layers that I wanted

You need to download them.. I don't know what fonts HB used but I would like to know.

Save them as DDS, use the intel plugin...

BUT REMEMBER TO SAVE THEM AS PSD BEFORE YOU EXIT THE PROGRAM

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

When you open the .psd up and the warning pops up about the missing font should tell you there what font is missing.

Edit: see this post for fonts. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3885275&postcount=303

Also when using the intel plug-in for .dds, when saving make sure you select the mipmap option.

Edited by wfg.Reaper

• 2 weeks later...

I started a Blue Angels livery for the F-14, but I've hit a roadblock, I can't use the F-14 template as it crashes gimp. I'm also unsure how to do the US Navy text on the bottom of the wings and on the side of the engines. If anyone is interested in finishing it off please comment below or send me a PM.

Quick question: If I create a separate RIO helmet, where do I put it in the "HB_F14_LOD1_3in1" file? There is only one helmet square.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

Quick question: If I create a separate RIO helmet, where do I put it in the "HB_F14_LOD1_3in1" file? There is only one helmet square.

I don't believe there's a RIO helmet mapped in the 3in1 LOD.

Hi all,

I’m very new to skinning but I’m keen to make some skins for the Tomcat. For some reason the paint kit Cobra posted on pg 30 of this thread won’t download fully for me - it gets to about 90% then stops. I’m also not able to open and modify any of the liveries that come with the f14 module by copying them to my saved games folder and renaming them and then modifying them with GIMP like I did with the Hornet.

Is anyone able to post a fresh link to the generic paint kit or offer some other advice to me? I’m at a bit of a loss how to proceed from here.

Cheers,

Darbzy

"I'm not completely worthless, I can be used as a bad example!"