F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Hi all,

I’m very new to skinning but I’m keen to make some skins for the Tomcat. For some reason the paint kit Cobra posted on pg 30 of this thread won’t download fully for me - it gets to about 90% then stops. I’m also not able to open and modify any of the liveries that come with the f14 module by copying them to my saved games folder and renaming them and then modifying them with GIMP like I did with the Hornet.

Is anyone able to post a fresh link to the generic paint kit or offer some other advice to me? I’m at a bit of a loss how to proceed from here.

Cheers,

Darbzy

Hi Darbzy

I had already made my own Fully Layered Template with Gimp before the Paint kit was released so if you want it here it is http://www.mediafire.com/file/bzbrw36k6rlsltr/F14-B+Tomcat+Template.rar.

I have made it a bit more user friendly than the HB paint kit and there a far fewer element Layers so less overwhelming also its in Gimp so should load a lot quicker for you.

For some reason Heatblur have made the F14 Skins in PSD format that cant be opened in normal way but after a lot of searching i found a free piece of software that opens them,its a bit fidely but it works.

GO TO https://www.freephototool.com/ File > Open > go to F14b Liveries Folder > select Skin Folder >

click on part you want to work on and it will appear in window > Press File > Export as > JPG > A box will appear called 'Save for web' drag quality to 100% then Save.

Another box will open just click OK and a larger image will open now Copy and Paste into Gimp.

The image is by already 4096 x 4096 so no scaling is required.

Make sure you add all the individual elements that you have changed are applied to the HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.dds otherwise the skin you created will disappear at distance

Now you can create your own skins BUT remember to Export as .dds BC1/DXT1 > Generate Minmaps

Use the Modelviewer(in bin folder) to check that the skin you created is working

Good Luck and Happy Skinning

Regards

Keith:thumbup:

Edited by Warlord64

Stumbled across this beautiful F-14B livery... in case all you skin masters need inspiration ;)

f-14b-tomcat-vf-11-red-rippers-aa101-162912-retirement-scheme-2005.jpg

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Anyone notice for the default this little detail is off by a little bit?

[ATTACH]214301[/ATTACH]

I changed it on this F14 stored in a barn for 15 years I've been working on.

[ATTACH]214302[/ATTACH]

Edited by TexasWarbird

I7 8770K @Stock / 32 GB DDR4 / ASUS Prime Z370-A / MSI Armor GTX 1070 8GB / Samsung 850Pro x 4 Drives in R0 @ (2GBS R&W) / Windows 10 Pro

There is already such a skin. Well 99% alike...

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303958/

I have already got that one. It's the CAG bird Ripper 100. The one I posted is Ripper 101, the C/O bird in retro paint scheme from the same era - and it's great to hear Jack likes it too :) It will be a great wingman for the existing Ripper skins.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

34798697725_4c00500a5f_o.jpg

So cool. Since the Rippers and the Dogs were CVW-7 sister squadrons, your two retro birds will be quite a sight on the same carrier deck.

anyone got a good photoshop rough met tutorial????

Check this thread : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193596

I suggest you to work with 3 folders (one per primary color, R,G,B) and apply layers styles on each folder to filters colors (don't remember if it's already done in the HB paintkit). It is easier to "paint" each channel this way, as you only have to care about the channel lightness.

Sorry, my photoshop is in French... For a quick translation:

"Couches R V B" = "Channels R G B" This is what you'll need to (un)check to filter each channel.

LlvfhJF.png

You don't need to really pay attention to the red channel as it's the ambient occlusion. You only need to modify it when converting specular maps to roughmet.

Pay attention to your diffuse (color) map when using high metallic (Blue=255 on roughmet) values... And don't forget that "chrome" liveries are also affected by the normal maps.

Nose normal map was edited (perfectly flat, 128,128,255 : R = light coming from left, G = light coming from top, B = Deepness), rear normal map is default.

Diffuse : 255,255,255

Roughmet : 255,0,255

I know, this is the F-5E, not the cat...

IXpzBwg.jpg

A few references...

For the green (255=rough,mat) and blue (255=met) channels :

G 0 / B ~255 : chrome. Use pure white (or nearly pure white) for the diffuse map. A light grey may render a very dark metal in game.

G 40 / B 220 : steel

G 15 / B 220 : engines

G 10 / B 200 : Aluminium

G 110 / B 210 : Gun metal. Use a medium gray for the diffuse map.

G ~10 / B ~10 : High gloss paints (mostly for airliners and acro teams). Avoid G0 B0, doesn't render well (looks like cheap plastic) except when diffuse map is almost pure white.

G 100~230 / B 5 : Mat paints

G 150~200 / B 2 : Rubber (tires...)

G 170 / B 50 : Radar radome

You can have pretty good examples by googling "PBR textures". Don't forget that some softwares doesn't exactly map R=AO / G=Rough / B=Metal. Sometimes you have to invert the green channel...

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Photo based texture WIP.

oxAJwRj.jpg

Looking really great :thumbup: Is there a Chance that you'll do the Gipsy 101 from the last flight era as well? The one with the yellow tail emblem. It shouldnt be too many changes from the skin youre working on :)

Looking really great :thumbup: Is there a Chance that you'll do the Gipsy 101 from the last flight era as well? The one with the yellow tail emblem. It shouldnt be too many changes from the skin youre working on :)

Thank you!

I am now working on the VF-32 OIF pack.

Of course, AC101 is also included.

Future plans are undecided, but I will also work on the VF-32 Final Gypsy Roll 2005 Pack.

But before that, VF-103 OIF is planned.

JE0QPtF.jpg

n9TKwT5.jpg

GkSIKuf.jpg

hp1z4SA.jpg