F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Is anyone able to make the Jolly Rogers with a yellow nose?

F-14A_VF-84_at_NAS_Fallon_1988.JPEG

DCS A-10C II Warthog, DCS AV-8B, DCS F/A-18C. DCS F-16C DCS KA-50 III, DCS F-14B. DCS AH-64 Apache. DCS Mirage F1. DCS F-15E.
System: Z690 - i9-12900k - RTX 3080ti - 32gb ram - 2tb NVME - 2x2tb HDD - TM Hotas Warthog - MFG Rudders - Trackir/VR

Look yet did not find.. Thank you very very much

DCS A-10C II Warthog, DCS AV-8B, DCS F/A-18C. DCS F-16C DCS KA-50 III, DCS F-14B. DCS AH-64 Apache. DCS Mirage F1. DCS F-15E.
System: Z690 - i9-12900k - RTX 3080ti - 32gb ram - 2tb NVME - 2x2tb HDD - TM Hotas Warthog - MFG Rudders - Trackir/VR

isoko, when are yours going to be released? Looking forward to it. I always used your skins in the aero**** Tomcat....awesome work!

BTW, thanks to all you guys who have released skins so far! I dabble a little bit in skins myself, but with the F-14B, we're a little bit limited and the best one's are already being handled it seems. One thing I'd like to see more of is guys trying to replicate the HGU-55 helmets - I lived in VA Beach right outside Oceana and spent a lot of time on base and never saw the old lids on any A+ or B pilots...

Looking forward to the A model, the door will be blown wide open when that drops.

Usually that means that the file has been corrupted on disk, though sometimes it means that the file has the wrong extension and can't be read correctly. (From PS Help)

Try unzipping the template again or downloading a new one.

Downloaded twice from the link on Page 1 of the thread. Used WinZip and WinRAR and both errored out:

Extracting file: D:\Games\DCS Related\DCS Edits\F14 Livery\HB-F-14_Paintkit-v1.0.rar

Extracting to "D:\Games\DCS Related\DCS Edits\F14 Livery\HB-F-14_Paintkit-v1.0"

Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_01.psd

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_02.psd

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_03.psd

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_04.psd

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK.psd

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS.psd

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS_01.psd

Extracting HB_F14_EXT_TAIL.psd

Error: Bad data in file "D:\Games\DCS Related\DCS Edits\F14 Livery\HB-F-14_Paintkit-v1.0\HB_F14_EXT_TAIL.psd"

Irrecoverable Error: Bad data detected.

Anyone have a second download spot?

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

VF-32 Swordsmen Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003 PACK

Thanks guys!:lol:

My Skin release still takes a while.

Those paintings are a fun time for me.

- VF-32 2003' Special tire markings -

zXCTzA8.jpg

UrWQ8HJ.jpg

- Customized Walk way of anti-slip coatings -

MoOJULt.jpg

sSTnfBJ.jpg

- Modex sticker in cockpit -

mwfK37j.jpg

hey guys when I make a custom skin it pops in and out when I zoom in and out on the plane. what am I doing wrong

These peramiters are based on the skin being made in Gimp but similar with PS.

First flatten the skin and when you Export as .dds you need to set the compression to say BC1/DTX1 then in mipmaps box apply generate mipmaps

The mipmaps are the most impotant as they will show the skin in decreasing scales of resolution in game when zooming out

These peramiters are based on the skin being made in Gimp but similar with PS.

First flatten the skin and when you Export as .dds you need to set the compression to say BC1/DTX1 then in mipmaps box apply generate mipmaps

The mipmaps are the most impotant as they will show the skin in decreasing scales of resolution in game when zooming out

Thanks man I'll give that a shot.

I'm using the Intel plugin will using the option for auto generate mipmaps work ok?

Looking good, though a slight bluish on the gray. Probably how the original picture captures the colors, but original top color should be FS35237 according to official USN docs. It has a very, very slight blue hue to it, but not as much as what's depicted in the reference photo. Might be the dirt/grime reflecting the sky color?

Edited by Nealius

Looking good, though a slight bluish on the gray. Probably how the original picture captures the colors, but original top color should be FS35237 according to official USN docs. It has a very, very slight blue hue to it, but not as much as what's depicted in the reference photo. Might be the dirt/grime reflecting the sky color?

Thanks guys!

Exactly. I used FS35237 toning, based on photographic texture. I paint almost the same color as the link you showed me.

However, in DCS, the color of the skin changes significantly due to daytime, nighttime, bad weather, fine weather, etc., so the color as it is is different from the Tomcat. Therefore, some toning is carried out.

The color is really difficult:doh:

K1XKV3A.jpg

LQXQuGd.jpg

Hi. Newbie here.

I'm having trouble with the process for creating the livery folders that would go into DCS for the F14-b.

I've downloaded the paintkit, and can edit the .psd files just fine.

I assume after that, I should save them as .dds files.

But then what? How do I generate, for example, the description file that I see in the existing livery folders?

And are there other steps I need to take?

I've searched this thread pretty thoroughly and not found a step-by-step.

If someone can point me to one, or type one up, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance....