F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

You guys were both right; that comma made the difference...and also AFAIK there is no way to make separate suits for pilot and RIO to show up; both get the same pilot suit.

S!

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

For fans of Ward Carroll's outstanding Tomcat novel Punk's War. Just starting out, now. Since the squadron tail art is never described, the squadron colors and patch art only hinted at, and the air wing completely fictional there will be a lot of artistic interpretation.

1172804567_VF-104CAG.thumb.png.44874c1fa08d4e3d12dec55763ec9c1f.png

2051700903_VF-104Line.thumb.png.b39444c8ade1e7de5943fdcb3f88ec95.png

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

For fans of Ward Carroll's outstanding Tomcat novel Punk's War. Just starting out, now. Since the squadron tail art is never described, the squadron colors and patch art only hinted at, and the air wing completely fictional there will be a lot of artistic interpretation.

Oh shoot, I never did do those. I had sketched out a few ideas for the tails and such but never followed through with it. I had been thinking of something akin to a drawn bow with 6 arrows (Phoenix/Tomcat symbology) but never quite got exactly what I wanted.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Oh shoot, I never did do those. I had sketched out a few ideas for the tails and such but never followed through with it. I had been thinking of something akin to a drawn bow with 6 arrows (Phoenix/Tomcat symbology) but never quite got exactly what I wanted.

Do it anyway. I'd love to see other interpretations.

What I have here is just a modification of FSU's Seminole arrow. I was also tempted to use the insignia of the real VA-104 Hell's Archers that was disbanded in 1959, which was a nuclear missile nocked into a bow.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Do it anyway. I'd love to see other interpretations.

What I have here is just a modification of FSU's Seminole arrow. I was also tempted to use the insignia of the real VA-104 Hell's Archers that was disbanded in 1959, which was a nuclear missile nocked into a bow.

I'll have to dig everything back up. I do remember trying to write down as many character names as possible at one point to fill out the squadron some.

One place I kept coming back to was using Artemis or a similar goddess of the hunt and a Greek bow. I really wanted to do the 6 arrow symbology because the whole 6 targets, 6 Phoenixes thing but it's just not symmetrical as 5 arrows.

It's also about damn time we had Afghanistan and Iraq maps, but we're also not getting GWOT era Tomcats so I guess that's somewhat moot. I really wanted to find a way to do some of the missions from the books, even the more boring ones to make a very real feeling campaign. Like the night mission where you've been patrolling for hours, almost out of fuel, the tanker breaks, and you try to make for UAE.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

At least in the first book, VF-104 is not using the F-14B(U). The HUD symbology is described occasionally, and matches the original HUD we have in the HB module. This might be an oversight by the author, who stopped flying Tomcats a few years before the B(U) entered service. Either way, aside from the PTID and late-introduced JDAM capability, what we have in the module is as capable as what is described in the books.

I'd really like to see a map of the western Persian gulf covering from Kazerun west to Arar and from KKMC north to Baghdad. This would include the majority of the Iraq NFZ, which is where the US Navy pretty much lived for the entirety of the 90s. Enough area for Iran-Iraq War and Desert Storm missions and campaigns as well.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Since my favorite F-14B livery has been covered by someone else, I figured I would produce a second favorite. This is VF-143 circa 2004, covering the workup for and early deployment for OEF, which was VF-143's final cruise in the F-14. This skin pack will cover 9 of VF-143's 10 aircraft from 2004. The 10th, AG100, was covered by 59th_Jack's VF-143 2005 skin pack and unlike the remainder of the squadron, probably wasn't painted differently in the first half of the cruise than the last half, so I saw no purpose in covering this aircraft twice.

Per usual due to limited information, no crew names will appear on canopy rails.

Screen_200707_144637.thumb.jpg.36934e1b3f90cb1664a5d5c5d0ab11db.jpg

Screen_200707_144647.thumb.jpg.c76579ac10acc3af572001a327984dde.jpg

Screen_200707_144707.thumb.jpg.95e0c17a4d0eb132bc019f94f490212e.jpg

Screen_200707_144716.thumb.jpg.f5cee7d86cf2e88eae33813636a4ca5e.jpg

Screen_200707_144730.thumb.jpg.1697efcc97dee1d2f3526ba9acd42592.jpg

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I may end up getting murdered by @ensamvarg and the other art guys, but the NACA ducts are still white/glowy/weird, and it turns out the Tomcat shouldn't have any NACA duct on the right engine nacelle.

I threw a bug thread up in case y'all want to review the pics, but basically go look for F-14 walkarounds and pay close attention to the area where the main gear locks into the fuselage, and the area immediately behind it, then look at the model and textures in game. The port for the locking bar things doesn't align with the little panel "cutout" on the textures, and there's no NACA on any photos I can see of the right engine.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4421787#post4421787

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I may end up getting murdered by @ensamvarg and the other art guys, but the NACA ducts are still white/glowy/weird, and it turns out the Tomcat shouldn't have any NACA duct on the right engine nacelle.

I threw a bug thread up in case y'all want to review the pics, but basically go look for F-14 walkarounds and pay close attention to the area where the main gear locks into the fuselage, and the area immediately behind it, then look at the model and textures in game. The port for the locking bar things doesn't align with the little panel "cutout" on the textures, and there's no NACA on any photos I can see of the right engine.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4421787#post4421787

No murder. We appreciate the reports. :)

Question regarding AJS37 template. The google drive link above only has FUSELAGE_1 / FUSELAGE_2 / FUSELAGE_T. Where are the others?

I realize this is in the F-14 thread but I don't see the Viggen paint template linked anywhere else.

Since my favorite F-14B livery has been covered by someone else, I figured I would produce a second favorite. This is VF-143 circa 2004, covering the workup for and early deployment for OEF, which was VF-143's final cruise in the F-14. This skin pack will cover 9 of VF-143's 10 aircraft from 2004. The 10th, AG100, was covered by 59th_Jack's VF-143 2005 skin pack and unlike the remainder of the squadron, probably wasn't painted differently in the first half of the cruise than the last half, so I saw no purpose in covering this aircraft twice.

Per usual due to limited information, no crew names will appear on canopy rails.

I've been checking for these on the user download page ever since you posted, when do you think you will release these VF-143 skins? Great job on the VF-102 set BTW!

I've been checking for these on the user download page ever since you posted, when do you think you will release these VF-143 skins? Great job on the VF-102 set BTW!

Thank you. Real life got in the way for a while. Skins are done, but I haven't had time to get good screen shots and package them all up. Should be this week I hope.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Question regarding AJS37 template. The google drive link above only has FUSELAGE_1 / FUSELAGE_2 / FUSELAGE_T. Where are the others?

I realize this is in the F-14 thread but I don't see the Viggen paint template linked anywhere else.

Thanks for that!

Added the wings. Not sure how I managed to miss copying those. :)

Fixed.

Hi,

I'm in need of some help.

Doing a livery for a friend of mine he'd like to have a somewhat personalized VF-32 (100) livery. Rather then modifying one that's already made by some of the skin artists here who did an excellent job I'd like to make it from scratch using the template to practice creating liveries on my own.

However there's a couple of things I'm finding hard to find.

First is the nose art of the F14 100 of the VF-32

XtsVCCX.png

Normally for the skins I've made I've had no issues with finding decals or emblems that are either have a transparent background and high resolution or just high resolution allowing me to make the background transparent myself. The above picture is the best I could find when it comes to that nose art.

Then there's the ''Deus et Patria'' and the Crew names, can someone tell me what Font is being used?

Thank you very much for your time and help you can provide.

Kind regards,

Edited by HunterICX

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone knows why the (my skin) disappeares when zooming out a bit further and then are replaced with another F14 skin...? Not zooming out much but a bit. Same is in F3 view.

Please see attachments screenshots.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jw02pZzKObEjIuQloAEN5PFhg2BwxpHJ/view?usp=sharing

To this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10LusNmftiAzbLsf2RXHKEjRxGAqKC5hZ/view?usp=sharing

And how do I create a "HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.ddsv" from/ for my own skin? Might that be the reseaon why Im loosing my skin when zooming out in F2/ F3 view? Im not using that one at all in my aircraft folder right now... Is that needed?

:joystick::pilotfly::joystick:

Edited by Dhorse

It is, you have to resize your altered textures and paste them on the appropriate slots. They should be 512x512, if you use a grid snap then they should be pretty easy to accurately place.

hmmm, ok. Any good tutorials on this?

I thouth the "Intel Texture Works (v1.04) " "Mip Maps: Auto Generate" did this by itself? :book:

Also, what is the "HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.dds" actually doing ?

Will I need to save all my .dds images then as a regular IMAGE (like .png ? ) first, then paste each image onto the HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.psd and then generate the HB_F14_LOD1_3in1 as a .dds then?

Edited by Dhorse

Need some help... My drop tanks will not show after saving and looking into a bit further none of my drop tanks show for any aircraft. I checked the description.lua and the original line reads: {"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANKS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK",false};

I noticed that it says DROPTANKS with an S at the end but the file is DROPTANK. So I changed and saved and still nothing.