F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

I just doublechecked, that should be the correct LUA entry:

{"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANKS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK",false};

Can you get snipping tool and post a screenshot of your livery folder with the drop tank filename visible?

Double-double check your filename is HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK.dds in the livery folder, and make sure you actually saved your DDS. I use BC7 compression, have not had issues.

Edited by LanceCriminal86

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Hi,

I'm in need of some help.

Doing a livery for a friend of mine he'd like to have a somewhat personalized VF-32 (100) livery. Rather then modifying one that's already made by some of the skin artists here who did an excellent job I'd like to make it from scratch using the template to practice creating liveries on my own.

However there's a couple of things I'm finding hard to find.

First is the nose art of the F14 100 of the VF-32

Normally for the skins I've made I've had no issues with finding decals or emblems that are either have a transparent background and high resolution or just high resolution allowing me to make the background transparent myself. The above picture is the best I could find when it comes to that nose art.

Then there's the ''Deus et Patria'' and the Crew names, can someone tell me what Font is being used?

Thank you very much for your time and help you can provide.

Kind regards,

This may help.

1982357218_nasoceana2005051.jpg.c6efcd36e33937356284409f3a299954.jpg

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

I just doublechecked, that should be the correct LUA entry:

{"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANKS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK",false};

Can you get snipping tool and post a screenshot of your livery folder with the drop tank filename visible?

Double-double check your filename is HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK.dds in the livery folder, and make sure you actually saved your DDS. I use BC7 compression, have not had issues.

I can confirm that it is named: HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK.dds I'm also saving it as dds with BC7. So here is what is really strange. In game No drop tank liveries show for any aircraft of the aircraft that have them. I checked the description.lua and the entries are there. I think I have a much larger issue.

I'm in need of some help.

Doing a livery for a friend of mine he'd like to have a somewhat personalized VF-32 (100) livery. Rather then modifying one that's already made by some of the skin artists here who did an excellent job I'd like to make it from scratch using the template to practice creating liveries on my own.

I had the decal sheet scanned from a previous build. Hope this helps!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-dObG0Tb68OyEv8n4PG5GYR6UtlZr620/view?usp=sharing

Edited by timber29

Tried to search but didn't find results, sry if already stated somewhere. I just updated the rig and now running 1440P with maxed out settings. I notice several of the default and add on skins drop resolution when zoomed slightly out becoming blurry. However several like Flying_Isoko's and Timber29's seem to keep the high resolution regardless of distance. Is this a function of the painters skin or is there a game setting on my end I can adjust? Thanks

Tried to search but didn't find results, sry if already stated somewhere. I just updated the rig and now running 1440P with maxed out settings. I notice several of the default and add on skins drop resolution when zoomed slightly out becoming blurry. However several like Flying_Isoko's and Timber29's seem to keep the high resolution regardless of distance. Is this a function of the painters skin or is there a game setting on my end I can adjust? Thanks

I'm not sure, I do run my game with max settings though. Maybe resolution of HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.dds file? I don't change the resolution on my repaints just reduce the canvas size when I insert into HB_F14_LOD1_3in1 file.

Since my favorite F-14B livery has been covered by someone else, I figured I would produce a second favorite. This is VF-143 circa 2004, covering the workup for and early deployment for OEF, which was VF-143's final cruise in the F-14. This skin pack will cover 9 of VF-143's 10 aircraft from 2004. The 10th, AG100, was covered by 59th_Jack's VF-143 2005 skin pack and unlike the remainder of the squadron, probably wasn't painted differently in the first half of the cruise than the last half, so I saw no purpose in covering this aircraft twice.

Per usual due to limited information, no crew names will appear on canopy rails.

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 1 month later...

Your work is great! I've had your VF-143 and VF-102 sets since they were released and they are so nicely done. It's great to have a whole squadron set. Please don't stop there..How about some more squadron sets? Your work is much appreciated.

Your work is great! I've had your VF-143 and VF-102 sets since they were released and they are so nicely done. It's great to have a whole squadron set. Please don't stop there..How about some more squadron sets? Your work is much appreciated.

Thank you. I don't have any more planned for the B yet, but when the A comes out, you can bet I'll be tackling VF-14 and VF-41 in 1999, and probably VF-154 for 2000 and 2003, but it will be some time until I get to them.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Thank you. I don't have any more planned for the B yet, but when the A comes out, you can bet I'll be tackling VF-14 and VF-41 in 1999, and probably VF-154 for 2000 and 2003, but it will be some time until I get to them.

Sounds great, I'll be looking forward to it!

Which carriers were they on in that time period?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Dibs on VF-201 and VF-202!

I've been gathering photos and references since around the paint kit dropped for the B. Once the A hits and the revised models/paint kits happen I'll push to finish them.

And yeah, there are a few changes that are eventually going to have to happen whenever the NACA duct on the right engine is removed and the textures for the main her locking points get shifted so they align properly.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Which carriers were they on in that time period?

VF-41 and -14 were on the Theodore Roosevelt. VF-154 were on the Kitty Hawk, though for 2003 half of the squadron deployed to Al Udeid Air Base. I know VF-154 can't make use of any available carriers for DCS, but I like their liveries and think they did some interesting things. I forgot to add that I'll probably also do VF-211 around 2002 while they were aboard John Stennis, so that's 5 I have planned.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to give the livery modding thing a try. To be honest the youtube videos and directions were pretty intimidating at first but I think I am about 80% there. The issue I'm having seems to deal with the mipmap process. Up close everything looks fine; however, zooming out (exactly 13 cycles) in DCS removes the texture. It's a bummer, I love working on these "digital" model kits. I'm using NVIDIA's texture tool and Photoshop 2021. Can anyone provide any help or tips on this issue?

123195091_364765074949353_3587367618428432193_n.thumb.png.eda29e09b3f2445bf85c881268711a6d.png

123080742_2493729350924977_2677401758518448586_n.thumb.png.678e91714ca036cab78f929cdd694d68.png

1172289597_DDsCapture.thumb.PNG.8e5f98275d1281931e4d051cd38b9edc.PNG

You haven't also edited the 3-in-1 LOD texture to match. The LOD stepdown for DCS is rather close, with several markings still being legible. Best thing to do is to copy your edited full-sized textures to the 3-in-1 in the order in which they appear on the 3-in-1 and then reduce them in size (12.5% for most of the textures, but 25% for others). In Photoshop, the copied and reduced textures will sort-of snap on to their respective cells in the 3-in-1. Once you have them lined up, merge visible and save.

• Like 1

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Adding to what Swordsman said, I recommend doing the 3-in-1 LOD last (when all of your other textures are complete. I actually keep a 3-in-1 template to make for easier updates as well when I update main textures.

Finally, I recommend using Model Viewer 2 rather than viewing textures in game. This is better for checking those texture line-ups, zooming in, playing with light, and it loads a lot quicker. You can also update a texture and click "reload textures" to instantly see the change you made. Using Skatezilla's Launcher lets you launch Model Viewer 2 directly from the GUI. You may still need to use the game to see certain things (like the 3-in-1 LOD), but 99% of what you do can be done with MV2.

• Like 1