F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

10 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Clubleaf skins are uploaded, will have some VF-74 skins from the same cruise out very soon! 

GlUAkbM.png

Vca5MXJ.png

Nice. I feel the need for an Achille Lauro mission 😄

• Like 1

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen moustaches,

I fly in a virtual wing with amongst another squadron, a squadron of tomcats. We have customs skins for them which look great and are exported to heatblur’s specs. However, we all experience stuttering when we recover and there are tomcats on the deck already with our custom paint. The stuttering occurs in close which is a horrible time to have these and is making recovery very scary. I suspect it’s to do with the switching between far and near skin.

How can I remedy this? Is there a way to preload the detailed skin earlier? Any other suggestion?

Thanks a bunch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 10:36 AM, r_vandenbroek said:

Gentlemen moustaches,

I fly in a virtual wing with amongst another squadron, a squadron of tomcats. We have customs skins for them which look great and are exported to heatblur’s specs. However, we all experience stuttering when we recover and there are tomcats on the deck already with our custom paint. The stuttering occurs in close which is a horrible time to have these and is making recovery very scary. I suspect it’s to do with the switching between far and near skin.

How can I remedy this? Is there a way to preload the detailed skin earlier? Any other suggestion?

Thanks a bunch.

This is most likely caused by the client having to load the texture files for each jet on the deck as the rendering changes from the low detail distant texture (only a few files, like the 3 in 1 LOD) to the high detail close textures (depending on the skin, up to several dozen files). If you have not done so already look into compression methods for the dds files for your skins so the individual files will be smaller (in terms of megabytes) and load quicker. Maybe not as helpful but you could place fewer jets on deck, or install your skins on faster storage media. There are other space saving techniques like using a common texture folder for shared textures for your squadron: things like helmets, pilot model, intake ramps, pylons, fuel tanks, roughness maps, etc. You can direct your description.lua file to load shared textures from that common folder instead of every skin having its own duplicate copy of those files.

Hope that helps

• Thanks 1
VF-111 SUNDOWNERS

VF-111_forum_sig.png

VF-111 Discord

4 hours ago, DarkJedi_7 said:

Question....   Should the F-14A USAF (the right one) be removed from User Files ?

It should, and you don't seem to realise that it's not because you took the idea of my work (on the left) and recreated it, it's because you downloaded my work, painted over it, and uploaded it with my work still present in your files. I'm not trying to be metaphorical or reference IP here, my brush lines are literally still in the files. Please respect the "Do Not Redistribute" license I uploaded my livery with and delete your stolen work.

• Like 2

I'm a bit confused with adding paints. I used to have a bunch of them but hard drive crashed and Im starting over. I set up the folder structure matching the aircraft but the paints do not appear. Can I get the correct pathing please?

paints.png

55 minutes ago, tekrc said:

I'm a bit confused with adding paints. I used to have a bunch of them but hard drive crashed and Im starting over. I set up the folder structure matching the aircraft but the paints do not appear. Can I get the correct pathing please?

paints.png

Get rid of the folder you have that is just F14 and keep the rest of the path the same. So: Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries/F-14A-135-GR

On 3/17/2022 at 11:51 PM, DarkJedi_7 said:

Question....   Should the F-14A USAF (the right one) be removed from User Files ?

Screen_220318_142922.png

If you altered someone else's skin, without permission, and then uploaded it to UserFiles against their wishes, then absolutely.

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

2 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

If you altered someone else's skin, without permission, and then uploaded it to UserFiles against their wishes, then absolutely.

I'm gald it's removed but then why shoud he care when he declined to create a post-Vietnam pattern and out of respect I did show it to him first.

Edited by DarkJedi_7

On 3/19/2022 at 7:43 PM, DarkJedi_7 said:

I'm gald it's removed but then why shoud he care when he declined to create a post-Vietnam pattern and out of respect I did show it to him first.

So did he provide explicit approval for you to upload it though it's really just you painting over his existing work? By that sort of logic, if I were to decline making a VF-84 package, would that provide you permission to rip my textures from VF-32, paint over the existing names to apply new names(if gone to that extent), and paint over the tail in Jolly Rogers markings to then release under your name?

I do wish you would do VF-84, though.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

1 hour ago, Uxi said:

His work is fantastic but, don't we have enough Jolly Roger's liveries? The User files are full of them in any form, fictional to whatever decade the artist decided it to be.

This is not a knock on anyone. I've downloaded almost all of them (VF-84 and VF-103). But there are a few squadrons that have been ignored and others overdone. The variety and accuracy that @_YaeSakura_ provides is just awesome!

• Like 3

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

5 hours ago, Uxi said:

Need not worry, I'll get to VF-84's first 12 jets down the line. I was really just using Jolly Rogers as an example since they're the most fondly looked towards(generally speaking).

3 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

His work is fantastic but, don't we have enough Jolly Roger's liveries? The User files are full of them in any form, fictional to whatever decade the artist decided it to be.

This is not a knock on anyone. I've downloaded almost all of them (VF-84 and VF-103). But there are a few squadrons that have been ignored and others overdone. The variety and accuracy that @_YaeSakura_ provides is just awesome!

Hopefully with some additional free time that'll be in my hands soon, I'll be able to redo VF-143 and VF-142. Need to adjust the overall paint colors, correct anti-glare shapes, and correct modex sizes. And hopefully also be able to include a bit more of the pilot names though the timeframe I'm looking at appears to be almost a void in terms of photos and documentation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

No full squadrons yet, no and arguably not with his level of detail.  It's one of the most popular squadrons for a reason....   

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

3 hours ago, _YaeSakura_ said:

Need not worry, I'll get to VF-84's first 12 jets down the line. I was really just using Jolly Rogers as an example since they're the most fondly looked towards(generally speaking).

Hopefully with some additional free time that'll be in my hands soon, I'll be able to redo VF-143 and VF-142. Need to adjust the overall paint colors, correct anti-glare shapes, and correct modex sizes. And hopefully also be able to include a bit more of the pilot names though the timeframe I'm looking at appears to be almost a void in terms of photos and documentation.

What time period are you looking to do? I have a large collection of photos of VF-142 and am slowly working my way through painting their last cruise. I'm happy to share any reference images if you want.

37 minutes ago, Uxi said:

No full squadrons yet, no and arguably not with his level of detail.  It's one of the most popular squadrons for a reason....   

True and true. IRT the "not up to his level of detail" it is kind of a discredit to some of those artists to say that. They do good work as well! VF-84 is only popular because of movies and such using the Skull and Crossbones (maybe Robotech as well)! I was amazed when he selected VF-142 and VF-143. There's a plethora of Tomcat squadron liveries that need some love. It's like the market is flooded with that livery! I was working on a late 90's VF-24 (Rage), but I ran out of time to finish it. I suck at Photoshop so there's that! 

I look forward to his VF-84. I will no doubt download it, the VF-41 line was awesome.

1 hour ago, Wingmate said:

What time period are you looking to do? I have a large collection of photos of VF-142 and am slowly working my way through painting their last cruise. I'm happy to share any reference images if you want.

Sort of doubting much can be found, but 1976. The supposed 5-6 month Mediterranean Cruise on the USS America, which the Cruise Book is apparently not available online.

1 hour ago, Jackjack171 said:

True and true. IRT the "not up to his level of detail" it is kind of a discredit to some of those artists to say that. They do good work as well! VF-84 is only popular because of movies and such using the Skull and Crossbones (maybe Robotech as well)! I was amazed when he selected VF-142 and VF-143. There's a plethora of Tomcat squadron liveries that need some love. It's like the market is flooded with that livery! I was working on a late 90's VF-24 (Rage), but I ran out of time to finish it. I suck at Photoshop so there's that! 

I look forward to his VF-84. I will no doubt download it, the VF-41 line was awesome.

To provide a roadmap of what I plan to tackle, I'm currently going in order of Block numbers.
Block 70: VF-1 Wolfpack & VF-2 Bounty Hunters
Block 75: VF-14 Tophatters(collab w/ friend) & VF-32 Swordsmen
Block 80: VF-143 Pukin' Dogs & VF-142 Ghostriders
Block 85: VF-211 Checkmates(also collab w/ friend) & VF-24 Red Checkertails/Renegades
Block 90: VF-114 Aardvarks & VF-213 Black Lions
Block 95: VF-41 Black Aces & VF-84 Jolly Rogers
Block 100: VF-51 Screaming Eagles & VF-111 Sundowners

At least, this is what I have in mind to do. All the jets I hope to get done are each respective squadron's first batch of aircraft, not replacements from later on(unless if one was delivered in the same year from a very early and unfortunate accident).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _YaeSakura_ said:

Sort of doubting much can be found, but 1976. The supposed 5-6 month Mediterranean Cruise on the USS America, which the Cruise Book is apparently not available online.

To provide a roadmap of what I plan to tackle, I'm currently going in order of Block numbers.
Block 70: VF-1 Wolfpack & VF-2 Bounty Hunters
Block 75: VF-14 Tophatters(collab w/ friend) & VF-32 Swordsmen
Block 80: VF-143 Pukin' Dogs & VF-142 Ghostriders
Block 85: VF-211 Checkmates(also collab w/ friend) & VF-24 Red Checkertails/Renegades
Block 90: VF-114 Aardvarks & VF-213 Black Lions
Block 95: VF-41 Black Aces & VF-84 Jolly Rogers
Block 100: VF-51 Screaming Eagles & VF-111 Sundowners

At least, this is what I have in mind to do. All the jets I hope to get done are each respective squadron's first batch of aircraft, not replacements from later on(unless if one was delivered in the same year from a very early and unfortunate accident).

Now that's a list! Looking forward to them.

5 hours ago, Uxi said:

We have a full squadron set...VF-103 Final Tomcat Cruise 2004 by mckronenberg...VF-103 not VF-84, but Jolly Rogers nonetheless  

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319743/

Edited by ShinyMikey
forgot something
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, ShinyMikey said:

We have a full squadron set...VF-103 Final Tomcat Cruise 2004 by mckronenberg...VF-103 not VF-84, but Jolly Rogers nonetheless  

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319743/

And Im also Planning on making a VF-84 pack at some point, currently working on 211. 

• Like 3

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png