F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Used photoshop online to convert all dds from the Maverick&Goose helmets skin (basically the 201 livery default) into png and from there on I created my own templates. They are primitive and in no way good to be used generally but for the moment they do their job. There's one LOD file which needs a bit of fiddling but I am not too woried about. It only affects the livery when you see the plane from far away. In any case, I ended with almost 800Mb in size. Probably the official paint kit will be even bigger, who knows.

Screen_190319_140635.thumb.png.9044803526da7d2a66a5f95b7e10685e.png

Screen_190320_211233.thumb.png.07dac785b2ba87de82a1cfa20f4c40ad.png

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

Anyone able to help an old, set in his ways skinner?

Having used the Nvidia DDS method for so long I don't mind admitting I am a bit lost with this new way (at least to me) of creating a skin.

I have "Frankensteined" a PSD template of sorts but there is now one thing that is baffling me:

The "LOD1 3 in 1"!!

I understand that the BC3 format is essentially equivalant to the DXT5 format (I think) but the "LOD1 3 in 1" has me stumped.

I assume it is a mipmap but how do you create it?

Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

Signed:

Confused of Staffordshire.

Lod file is used when you see the aircraft from distance. I assume the reason would be so that game engine won’t have to load the whole gig of dds file at such distance. Because you won’t see much anyway, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

One more thing, don’t bother too much eith it. Pick the default dds, smudge a bit around decals , give it a general look to resemble your skin and be on your way up in the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

That's what I thought Zayets, but how is the "LOD 1...." created?

With the Nvidia DDS plug in the mip maps are created when the DDS file is saved as a DXT5 with mipmaps.

The "LOD1..." comprises of ALL the files which is what is confusing me.

That's what I thought Zayets, but how is the "LOD 1...." created?

With the Nvidia DDS plug in the mip maps are created when the DDS file is saved as a DXT5 with mipmaps.

The "LOD1..." comprises of ALL the files which is what is confusing me.

Manually. You scale the texture by the appropriate percentage and place it appropriately in the texture.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Manually. You scale the texture by the appropriate percentage and place it appropriately in the texture.

Thanks Cobra, I'll try that.

But out of curiosity would using the Nvidia "DXT5 with mipmaps" method I use on the F-86/F-5E/F-18C cause any issues?

The intel plugin gives better image quality with colours IMPO. plus the fact it saves the files 10 x faster. When doing the textures for the Mig19, that was the bane of my life lol

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

The intel plugin gives better image quality with colours IMPO. plus the fact it saves the files 10 x faster. When doing the textures for the Mig19, that was the bane of my life lol

Lol, it sure does. The Nvidia one takes forever.

Does anyone have a clean set of tails, no markings, they'd be willing to send me?

Thanks Cobra, I'll try that.

But out of curiosity would using the Nvidia "DXT5 with mipmaps" method I use on the F-86/F-5E/F-18C cause any issues?

Quality will be worse using DXT5. But generally no significant issues beyond that.

(except slow as heck export times, as noted by mithandra) :)

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I see some liveres on mods section. has paint kit been released already?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

An Starscream skin.... Just saying...

IIRC, StarScream was an F-15, but I'm totally on board...

I'm mocking up a fictonal Israeli Airforce skin based on the 1994 Peace Marble IV F-16s.

And eagerly waiting the painkit :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=207058&stc=1&d=1553282532

attachment.php?attachmentid=207059&stc=1&d=1553282590

while at it, any tips for a novice? it will be my first proper skin.

850354684_144thMockup.thumb.jpeg.9bfa49621cdf856e4f64a2334bd79404.jpeg

44074928_144thMockup2.thumb.jpeg.6d5ba3cb4cccadd6227553858268a3f9.jpeg

IIRC, StarScream was an F-15, but I'm totally on board...

I'm mocking up a fictonal Israeli Airforce skin based on the 1994 Peace Marble IV F-16s.

And eagerly waiting the painkit :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=207058&stc=1&d=1553282532

attachment.php?attachmentid=207059&stc=1&d=1553282590

while at it, any tips for a novice? it will be my first proper skin.

Dammit, you're right! Just checked it