Upgraded from GTX970 to RTX2060!

OnlyforDCS

I’ve got the same GPU as you, and I’ve been watching the gtx1660 ti, and 1660 depending on how much you want to spend. They’re the new versions of the 1060 and pretty close to the same price. Performance of a 1070 for the Ti version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, GTX770 @1080p

Thank you Rick, will look at them!

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

The RTX2060 is almost as fast as a GTX1080, and you can find them quite cheap. No idea how cheap or expensive they are in portugal but you should never buy an older generation card if a newer, much faster card is available for pretty much the same price. Unless you are buying used cards. That could also work, I imagine a used 1070 would be a pretty sweet deal.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Well...

I admit that the Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6GB (not OC) was very nice and appealing.

But the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce 6GB OC was the final choice.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Btw guys for people struggling with VRAM there is a mod for the Tomcat in the user files which half the resolution of the cockpit and external textures. These mods GREATLY reduce the VRAM load of the Tomcat and made performance much better for me in VR while in multiplayer.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Well...

I admit that the Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6GB (not OC) was very nice and appealing.

But the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce 6GB OC was the final choice.

Let me know how it goes. I’m really interested in that exact one. I’m only holding off to see what else is up and coming in the next month

DCS is funny when it comes to VR. Im running pretty meager settings but guys with 1080s or 2080s arent doing alot better which is weird. Im sure the 1060 would work. Probably pretty similiar to the 980m.
Thanks.

I will look out for a good VR set to buy.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thanks.

I will look out for a good VR set to buy.

I think my card works with the rift, precisely because the rift has the lowest res. I doubt I'd get good results with a higher res headset. The 2060 is gonna be faster though so YMMV (about double spd according to bench tests)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Let me know how it goes. I’m really interested in that exact one. I’m only holding off to see what else is up and coming in the next month

First impressions with the Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC 6 Gb Windforce (vs the old GTX 770 DirectCU 2 Gb).

For brief flights with the F-14 in Caucasus map, around Anapa Vityazevo; sometimes intercepting a bomber, or playing the Carrier Landing (instant action):

- the noticeable stutters (with old GPU), are now almost non existent;

- when changing Pilot / RIO seats the textures load considerably faster;

- when changing views from different aircraft (F2), the textures also load faster;

- the Carrier Landing instant action mission, had pratically no stutters, (and it has several AC and ships).

Remarkable aspects:

- I suspect this GPU is now taking some of the workload from the CPU's back;

- the CPU fans are now more quiet... reading HM monitor is as follows:

- CPU temps dropped to 63 ºC; (with the old GPU, the CPU was hitting 71 ºC);

- GPU memory used was 95 % (old GPU was always 100 %);

- GPU (processor?) was 43 % (old GPU was always 100 %);

- the RAM usage when getting to desktop with DCS running, is now roughly 7 Gb, (with the old GPU was roughly 11 Gb).

Hope it's useful!

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

So after tweaking things in the video settings and not having much effect, I have decided I need a new video card. Despite the fact that I am currently running a VGA ASUS|GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 2G RT for video, CPU INTEL|CORE I5 4690 3.5G 6M CPU, MEM 8G|KINGSTON HX318C10FB/8 RAM, SSD 120G|SAMSUNG MZ-7TE120BW for the main hard drive, but run games off of the HDD 1T|WD WD1003FZEX R for this rig that I built in 2014, I've not had a problem running DCS (save for mission load times of about 3-5 minutes for say the F/A-18C). Video in game has been pretty smooth and rarely stuttery.

Once I go to the F-14B though, then it takes 6-10 minutes for the initial load of a mission, then an additional 3 minutes or so in-game before things start to catch up and I can use TrackIR without stutter. The game itself may still be a bit slow here and there though. For instance, Jester will call that a bandit is on my six even though I've got the gun pipper on him at my 12:00.

Shutting the game down takes forever too.

So here's my question. I can't afford to build a whole new rig right now. So I've decided to upgrade crucial parts until which when I can afford a new rig, I can transfer the new parts to the other new parts to make a new rig. Based on how things run now, what should I upgrade and in what order?

I am thinking first and foremost the video card, then add RAM, then an SSD, then finally the CPU. I noticed also that the majority of my wait time si sitting waiting for the mission to load. Since that does not involve video (I am staring at the splash screen not the cockpit) then that is all an issue of CPU and HD, not GPU. The choppy video is when the GPU is the problem. So that's why I thought to start with the GPU...if I have to wait long for loading, at least whenit's done I don't have to worry about choppy video--I'll just go get a beer or something while waiting. Also, is it worth to go 8GB VRAM or is 6 enough?

Anyway, what do you think?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

First impressions with the Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC 6 Gb Windforce (vs the old GTX 770 DirectCU 2 Gb).

For brief flights with the F-14 in Caucasus map, around Anapa Vityazevo; sometimes intercepting a bomber, or playing the Carrier Landing (instant action):

- the noticeable stutters (with old GPU), are now almost non existent;

- when changing Pilot / RIO seats the textures load considerably faster;

- when changing views from different aircraft (F2), the textures also load faster;

- the Carrier Landing instant action mission, had pratically no stutters, (and it has several AC and ships).

Remarkable aspects:

- I suspect this GPU is now taking some of the workload from the CPU's back;

- the CPU fans are now more quiet... reading HM monitor is as follows:

- CPU temps dropped to 63 ºC; (with the old GPU, the CPU was hitting 71 ºC);

- GPU memory used was 95 % (old GPU was always 100 %);

- GPU (processor?) was 43 % (old GPU was always 100 %);

- the RAM usage when getting to desktop with DCS running, is now roughly 7 Gb, (with the old GPU was roughly 11 Gb).

Hope it's useful!

Good to know. So it’s giving you room to increase your cpu usage settings and get more eye candy too on the gpu side

Good to know. So it’s giving you room to increase your cpu usage settings and get more eye candy too on the gpu side

I see you basically have the same graphics card as me. HOw is your video performance with that GTX770? You have 2 GB VRAM, right? I'm wondering if I only need more DDR3 RAM then and not necessarily a new graphics card.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I see you basically have the same graphics card as me. HOw is your video performance with that GTX770? You have 2 GB VRAM, right? I'm wondering if I only need more DDR3 RAM then and not necessarily a new graphics card.

v6,

boNes

That was my previous GPU, sufficient to say that I've never dared to try MP.

In SP even in some less populated areas around airfields (Caucasus map), stutters were somewhat frequent, and at the instant action missions, the same.

Essentially what I describe in my previous post.

edit

Regarding your bold, from my experience be advised that, my 16 Gb of RAM were never completely used, and the GTX 770 was the main component bootllenecking my system.

Now with the new GPU, actually my system is using less RAM.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

v6,

boNes

I have no problems aside from a long load time. I’ve got my settings somewhere in the middle. I don’t however have the F14 which I hear is a resource hog. I’m looking at upgrading my gpu but there’s rumors of more releases in the next month or so (maybe a gtx1670??) so I’m holding off. Anything better than that is probably wasted on my computer. Oh. I play 1080p resolution so there’s that too.

FYI in the next patch/hotfix we should hopefuly see some improvements as per Cobra's last post on this subject.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

[...] I noticed also that the majority of my wait time si sitting waiting for the mission to load. Since that does not involve video (I am staring at the splash screen not the cockpit) then that is all an issue of CPU and HD, not GPU. The choppy video is when the GPU is the problem. So that's why I thought to start with the GPU...if I have to wait long for loading, at least whenit's done I don't have to worry about choppy video--I'll just go get a beer or something while waiting. Also, is it worth to go 8GB VRAM or is 6 enough?

v6,

boNes

I think it's the HDD only. The CPU is still good (especially in single core performance).

Just upgraded from FX8350 to I5 4690k (used).:megalol:

My CPU is overclocked to 4.4GHz. I've got a RX580 8GB, SSD, 16GB DDR-1600, 1920*1080.

Loading times doesn't really matter, I don't have to wait long. With high settings (and MSAA 2x, no SSAA)I get about 50-60 FPS.

Visual Quality is nice:D. Only thing I'm really sad about is that I have to forego the mirrors:cry::cry:. With mirrors on it's unplayable for me.

--------------------------

If you upgrade your CPU later (and buy new), you will also need new memory, beside the Mainboard.

You should really go for a new GPU first. RTX if you have the money. Or used 1070/1080?

SSD is really a siginficant game changer in terms of loading times not only in DCS, but for windows in particular. But waiting is clearly a better disadvantage as DCS crashing all the time...

Hope this made any sense:D

Edited by Cornelius

Cornelius,

Thanks. I tried overclocking my GPU last night. It was already pretty much 80% on the scale so I bumped it up to nearly all they way but I didn't really notice much change in the FPS. Maybe a tad. As the flight progressed, it got better but there would still be some frame freeze every minute or so.

The load times were unchanged, maybe even worse. I rebooted the PC before firing up the sim, not loading anything else (other than startup progs) and it took from clicking the mission to pit, 13 minutes. That's a new record, it used to be 10.

So, it seems as if the card needs to be changed right now.

Do you concur?

v6,

boNes

So after tweaking things in the video settings and not having much effect, I have decided I need a new video card. Despite the fact that I am currently running a VGA ASUS|GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 2G RT for video, CPU INTEL|CORE I5 4690 3.5G 6M CPU, MEM 8G|KINGSTON HX318C10FB/8 RAM, SSD 120G|SAMSUNG MZ-7TE120BW for the main hard drive, but run games off of the HDD 1T|WD WD1003FZEX R for this rig that I built in 2014, I've not had a problem running DCS (save for mission load times of about 3-5 minutes for say the F/A-18C). Video in game has been pretty smooth and rarely stuttery.

Once I go to the F-14B though, then it takes 6-10 minutes for the initial load of a mission, then an additional 3 minutes or so in-game before things start to catch up and I can use TrackIR without stutter. The game itself may still be a bit slow here and there though. For instance, Jester will call that a bandit is on my six even though I've got the gun pipper on him at my 12:00.

Shutting the game down takes forever too.

So here's my question. I can't afford to build a whole new rig right now. So I've decided to upgrade crucial parts until which when I can afford a new rig, I can transfer the new parts to the other new parts to make a new rig. Based on how things run now, what should I upgrade and in what order?

I am thinking first and foremost the video card, then add RAM, then an SSD, then finally the CPU. I noticed also that the majority of my wait time si sitting waiting for the mission to load. Since that does not involve video (I am staring at the splash screen not the cockpit) then that is all an issue of CPU and HD, not GPU. The choppy video is when the GPU is the problem. So that's why I thought to start with the GPU...if I have to wait long for loading, at least whenit's done I don't have to worry about choppy video--I'll just go get a beer or something while waiting. Also, is it worth to go 8GB VRAM or is 6 enough?

v6,

boNes

I would definitely recommend upgrading the Video card first with at least a GTX1660 Ti 6GB or go with a RTX 2060 6GB. After that I recommend just getting another 8GB stick of RAM that matches what you already have. There is no point in spending too much on RAM that would most likely not be supported with newer motherboards anyhow. As for the SSD I would also wait till you upgrade the motherboard so you can have the option to install a NVMe M.2 SSD that is even faster than a regular SSD.

@Top Jockey: your 4790 is better shaped to run this than your GTX770. GPU first in your case.

Hi there,

I’ve been longing to start playing DCS for awhile now. I spent a small fortune on a desktop pretty much entirely so I could play at being a fighter pilot, as close as I can get due to my age!

I was wondering if someone could take a look at the following spec and let me know if I need to make any last minute tweaks before it gets put together? Absolutely noob so please be constructive:

Intel 8th Generation 3.6GHz Quad Core

(1x) Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

(1x) Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24

(1x) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

(1x) WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (WDS200T2B0A)

(1x) Phanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Midi Tower Case - Noise Dampened White

(1x) ASUS PCE-AC56 Dual-Band Wireless AC1300 PCI-E Adapter (90IG00K0-BM0000)

Hope to hear from anyone re this setup, to my horror I’ve also just read the above say “get at least a 1660!” It’s not even built and it’s out of date! Do I need to be changing the GX chip?

Thanks

S

Edited by blanco77
Extra info

Hi there,

I’ve been longing to start playing DCS for awhile now. I spent a small fortune on a desktop pretty much entirely so I could play at being a fighter pilot, as close as I can get due to my age!

I was wondering if someone could take a look at the following spec and let me know if I need to make any last minute tweaks before it gets put together? Absolutely noob so please be constructive:

Intel 8th Generation 3.6GHz Quad Core

(1x) Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

(1x) Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24

(1x) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

(1x) WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (WDS200T2B0A)

(1x) Phanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Midi Tower Case - Noise Dampened White

(1x) ASUS PCE-AC56 Dual-Band Wireless AC1300 PCI-E Adapter (90IG00K0-BM0000)

Hope to hear from anyone re this setup, to my horror I’ve also just read the above say “get at least a 1660!” It’s not even built and it’s out of date! Do I need to be changing the GX chip?

Thanks

S

This build looks pretty good to me. The plain 1660 is a bit out of date but not the 1660Ti. It performs somewhere in between old GTX 1070 and the 1070ti.

You can check out some benchmark tests against other cards and a 1660ti review here.