Am I dumb?

reddog832

O I've had DCS sims for ages. Flown the BlackShark, then the A10C then the AV8 and the Hornet but I took a look at the F14 (though I dearly love it) (and the movie) and my brain just switched off. I mean I understand the F16 BMS radar and the Hornet.....but the kit in the F14 just has me staring bog eyed at all the blips and symbols. I mean how come all those dudes are flying about and shooting /bombing stuff already? Its gonna take me ages just to get this beast off the floor

It's called doing homework and hands-on training. Tons of stuff out there, go read, go fly, go have fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

O I've had DCS sims for ages. Flown the BlackShark, then the A10C then the AV8 and the Hornet but I took a look at the F14 (though I dearly love it) (and the movie) and my brain just switched off. I mean I understand the F16 BMS radar and the Hornet.....but the kit in the F14 just has me staring bog eyed at all the blips and symbols. I mean how come all those dudes are flying about and shooting /bombing stuff already? Its gonna take me ages just to get this beast off the floor

Only gonna speak for myself here but I started reading the NATOPS manual like last year and the HB manual once it was released. Always be prepared. :pilotfly:

But other than that there were/are plenty of tremendous tutorials on YouTube from various content creators which cover all the basics you need to get up and running and be profficient.

As a genereal tip: Start with the basics by watching the tutorials, referencing the online Heatblur manual and of course practice practice practice. Nothing beats actual experience. After that you can always dive deeper into the matter via the NATOPS manual, reference specific system functions and procedures etc.

You're not alone man :P

Lack of spare time will make it take ages for me to learn the F-14... and the little time I do have I don't want to spend reading manuals (no offence meant). Still I enjoy every minute I can get inside that cockpit

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Ive been into BMS so long, getting back to DCS is going to be a labor of love. Been waiting for a MP CPIT since Janes LB2

Thanks for the video links. WIthout such, I never would have gotten the DCS BF109 and MiG15 off the ground.

Just learn it bit by bit. Flown 8 hours so far just learning start up and basic airmanship...

...Practice. Practice. Practice some more.

This. They don't call them "study sims" for nothing. I've had it since Wednesday, and I'm only now remembering how to do a cold start.

Don't rush it. It will come.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

No you're not dumb but you are a little guilty of underestimating the module.

Remember this is pretty much like (don't get triggered people) learning to operate the real aircraft. Its not something you're going to pick up 100% over a few hours.

Stick with it, time and effort will take you to the top.

God Speed!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Yeah, its not you. I can do basic things like T/O and land. I cant even start it up. But I will a month from now. Some folks spent a ton of time pre-learning, that's all. The rest of us will catch up though.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, its not you. I can do basic things like T/O and land. I cant even start it up. But I will a month from now. Some folks spent a ton of time pre-learning, that's all. The rest of us will catch up though.

Starting the bird from the pilot seat is fairly easy, systems operation as well. Really like those little arrows you can set on the airspeed indicator, glance at it and see instantly how fast you need to fly for a landing for instance (VR).

Flying it properly though, whole other ball game.

Landing on an airfield, yeah sure. On the carrier? Ask me again in a few weeks. ;)

Am I dumb?

It definitely has a fair bit of a learning curve compared to other aircrafts like Hornet, Harrier, A-10C which share some common grounds in terms of operations.

I find the E-bracket to be a challenge to follow during landing as it tends to go all over the places and ended up relying on AOA indexer instead. It is also more difficult to stay on AOA while turning in for final approach.

The cockpit shake is pretty cool though and makes other planes feel sterile to fly in comparison.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

If you break it down into different systems, and learn things one at a time, it becomes immensely easier.

Real life pilots don't start out doing a start-up, get into a dogfight, bomb a target, circumnavigate the globe, and then land on their first flights, do they?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

T/O = ok

Land in an airfield = ok

Land in Carrier = I tried once only, successfully, I got the last cable, and the landing was very strong, I do not know how the landing gear did not break.

Bombing, Shooting Down, track any thing, pop chaffs = not yet

Flares = ok

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

New found level of respect to real F-14 pilots out there. They sure had their hands full with it.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

I am just doing instant action missions as free flight, dogfight and bvr at the moment and landed the bird every time successful except for the first time where i rolled of into the grass, cause i forgot to bind the nosewheel steering. I don't know if i got a much better pilot in the last couple of months, or the ai is set to easy, but it's quite easy for me to take down that su27 after a couple of turns i am right behind him and splash him. Was not able to win the bvr engagement so far against those 2 nasty mig29. :)

The best thing for me is that its non-fbw. For me it feels like i have wasted to much money on the m2000c and the hornet since both feel to sterile to me. Once on a free flight with the f18, i went to the toilette, got me a drink from the fridge and returned 3-4 mins later so see the bird is still flying cause i forgot to hit the pause key. Was kinda surreal for me since i flew a lot of migs and su27/33.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick