Tomcat In Rift.

Tinkickef

As I sit here gritting my teeth, watching peeps asking how do I get Jester to pour me a cup of coffee, while I wait patiently for the Tom to become available on release version, I have the one important question that no one seems to have commented on...

Of course, after a couple of years of being on open beta, right from 2.0 release, until a couple of months ago and getting fed up with the Hornet radar getting broken time and time again, so redirecting my updater to release version instead, plus a reluctance to revert back to OB branch just for the Cat; it is entirely my own fault I cannot answer my own question.

So how does the F14 look in the Oculus Rift and how is the overall performance, esp on the ground in PG map?

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Looks good in VR overall but gauges suck to read at pd 1.0. Performance is between the mig 21 and the hornet for me.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have a heavily over clocked 1080FE that's water cooled. I don't have any problems reading gauges in the cockpit but I have heard some people complain that. Best looking cockpit so far. I occasionally drop a few frames, but its not enough to irritate me. If you dont already though make sure you open the oculus debug tool and use it to disable asynchronus spacewarp. It helps DCS VR in all modules, especially when your low to the ground and the wing tips start to stutter/blur.

It looks incredible. My CPU and RAM is newer, but running on a 2080. Runs perfectly with settings to high (including shadows) and mirrors on. The amount of detail and depth is mind blowing. You're going to love it!

Matthew 'Mags' Maclauchlan

Oculus CV1, Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS/Pedals

My system is a 4790k and a Strix 1080. The Tomcat runs beautifully in the CV1. Seems to take longer than any other module to load, maybe 50 secs from main menu to sat in the cockpit.... however once in the the drivers seat it runs great. I have to lean forward to read the dials (i've got limited vision anyway so that may be why) but the dials are clearly readable, and the Cat looks phenomenal.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Currently running PD at 2.1, which is visibly better than 1.8, but yes, the law of diminishing returns, when upping PD; rules supreme.

The main worry I had was in reading the airspeed indicator, I had a little trouble in the F5, although truth be said, I have not flown the "mig28" for awhile and not since I upgraded from my venerable, much abused gtx980ti.

I note the F14 gauge looks very similar.

I remain patient..... now where are my joss sticks? Ommmmmmm. Curses I must not succumb to the hype. Where's the Dalai Lama when you need him.

I need to meditate, then aviate.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.