[NO BUG] Disk space

Redglyph

DCS 2.5.4.28461

The F14 is currently by far the largest module, it takes more than 3 GB of disk space, and another 5.4 GB in the CoreMods folder. So about 8.5 GB only for one module!

SSD space is precious, and download times are getting long, would it be possible to reduce that somewhat?

Some of that seems to come from uncompressed files.

For example,

- "Soundtrack" takes 540 MB, those are *.WAV files that could be compressed. Actually they're present twice: their *.ogg counterparts already eat up 100 MB in Sounds/Walkman. Are those .WAV files related to DCS? And are they necessary? Perhaps they could be optionally downloaded on another site for who wants them?

- the manual is 252 MB! That's more than a scanned book of the same size, and it makes the reader struggling when going through. There is an option to compress the images when building a PDF document, it should be used.

I'm pretty sure the textures can be compressed too.

The problem is, if we remove those files ourselves, they are downloaded again on each update.

Edited by Cobra847

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

You need a bigger SSD, fortunately they have come down in price a lot .. a 240 GB unit costs less than us$ 50 on my country.

I used to have Windows + DCS on a single 256 GB drive, but a few months ago I simply added a second 256 GB drive and thus kept Windows on the original drive and moved DCS onto the new one, avoiding a reactivation of DCS (that would have been needed if I had replaced the drive with a bigger one and thus forced to reinstall windows).

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Sorry differ but in my opinion they need to optimize a little bit instead of asking everyone to buy a larger disk, 8.5 GB is completely off the mark. Recently, M3 said they'd make an effort for the MiG-21bis, which was also taking a ridiculous amount of disk.

Unnecessary stuff like those WAV files have nothing to do in there.

Yes, some SSD are cheaper... and probably also less reliable or less performant. In any case, I'm not eager to reinstall everything for that kind of reason.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Sorry differ but in my opinion they need to optimize a little bit instead of asking everyone to buy a larger disk, 8.5 GB is completely off the mark. Recently, M3 said they'd make an effort for the MiG-21bis, which was also taking a ridiculous amount of disk.

Unnecessary stuff like those WAV files have nothing to do in there.

And here we have different opinions. Most A++ game today comes out with 50-120GB diskspace required so 8 GB for a module is far from big. look at some of the Pro modules of other Flightsims, 3-5GB are normal.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fine, let's encourage them to waste precious disk space because another completely unrelated game is taking more. That's a very good argument.

And yet not long ago, similar reports were made for the Fishbed which was taking less than this (and for relevant files).

Fine, let's encourage them to waste precious disk space because another completely unrelated game is taking more. That's a very good argument.

And yet not long ago, similar reports were made for the Fishbed which was taking less than this (and for relevant files).

I think the point he is making is that compared to other games, DCS's space requirements are not excessive.

As has been pointed out, SSD drives are really cheap, so buying another 240Gb drive for DCS is only about a $50 investment.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

There are always two sides. Compressing something means it has to be uncompressed before use. Not the best option when people (including you) complain about loading times and performance.

You won't get a product which has more features, better optics than other products for the same or less diskspace, period. This time the backseat is no trainer seat with some blinking lights...

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As has been answered, cheap SSDs are not always the best, and comparing a simulation that requires a fast SSD with a game which doesn't isn't a good argument. I repeat, the problem is not only SSD but very long downloading times, and most probably disk loading to the memory, memory occupancy, and so on (no wonder one gets regular freezes).

Just disregarding a problem saying "I don't have this problem so you should not have this problem either" is also very selfish IMHO, but it seems the norm here.

So have it your way, let's encourage 3rd parties to include unrelated files in DCS, and sorry to point out a problem that was already pointed out and fixed in another module :p Jeez, some people.

You can't have more for less, you pretty much have two cockpit, so double the texture and a lot of jester voice over. It's pretty logical for this one to be larger than other module.

I think dev do their best to optimize everything from perf to space but it's still a balance between quality vs perf/space etc

You can't have more for less, you pretty much have two cockpit, so double the texture and a lot of jester voice over. It's pretty logical for this one to be larger than other module.

I think dev do their best to optimize everything from perf to space but it's still a balance between quality vs perf/space etc

:thumbup:

BTW @Redglyph, what you called unnecessary files is the Soundtrack you also paid for. You are free to delete these 540Mb but in my case I prefer to keep these files since my standard music player don't like *ogg files so I will forgive Heatblur adding this second wav version to the download.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As has been answered, cheap SSDs are not always the best, and comparing a simulation that requires a fast SSD with a game which doesn't isn't a good argument. I repeat, the problem is not only SSD but very long downloading times, and most probably disk loading to the memory, memory occupancy, and so on (no wonder one gets regular freezes).

Just disregarding a problem saying "I don't have this problem so you should not have this problem either" is also very selfish IMHO, but it seems the norm here.

So have it your way, let's encourage 3rd parties to include unrelated files in DCS, and sorry to point out a problem that was already pointed out and fixed in another module :p Jeez, some people.

Really not sure what your real gripe is here. no one is saying 'if I don't have....'. All that is being suggested is that fast SSD space is real cheap these days, and that is what is needed for a stutter free experience in DCS.

Incidentally, you are wrong about 'cheap SSDs are not always the best'. Yes they are. The Samsung 860 250Gb is around $50. Can't get much better than that.

However, at the end of the day, it's your choice. I feel, that people are only trying to make helpful suggestions, but your opinion would seem to be different, and that's fair enough.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry differ but in my opinion they need to optimize a little bit ...

I just was trying to be helpful, as waiting for an optimization to be developed didnt seem a good alternative if you want to play the game today.

Yes, some SSD are cheaper... and probably also less reliable or less performant.

That supossed unreliability is just an assumption, I've had this cheap SSD (Western Digital brand) in use 6 months without a single problem yet, and it has a 1 year warranty, in case it does fail on the upcoming semester ... and I'm not using it to store irreplaceable data, as a software program can always be downloadad again.

In any case, I'm not eager to reinstall everything for that kind of reason.

That's why I suggested ADDING a drive rather than replacing .. I didnt need to reinstall anything, just edited the DCS shortcuts and that's it.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The problem here is coming from most people not reading correctly a post. I won't even try to answer this further, it was not meant as a debate anyway.

It will come naturally later from someone else anyway.

The soundtrack .wav files are just the included Meteor Album that HB said would be included with the aircraft - you can move it to your 'storage' drive or w/e if you like. Same with the manual - no need to leave it on your DCS drive.

Agree with your concerns in updating these every time - but I was under the assumption that DCS updates these days just downloaded the files that have been changed - not the entire aircraft install?

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem here is coming from most people not reading correctly a post. I won't even try to answer this further, it was not meant as a debate anyway.

It will come naturally later from someone else anyway.

what I don't understand how do you want it changed? would you like the music and manual be able to be downloaded separately? would you compress the files and then have them uncompress on the machine side, once it's download or keep them compressed until you need them?

I know you said you aren't going to answer again, but maybe someone else will chime in. I play x-plane 11 and most of the planes are 5-10gb and the scenery is 3-10gb each. I also have a 500gb dedicated to DCS and another 500gb dedicated to x-plane.

The OST is not unrelated. I'd prefer to distribute it in .wav instead of lossy formats.

We're in the days of AAA games taking 100Gb+ once installed. I don't think 8GB is too much to ask for. :)

I know it's a bit of a pain, but we can't really do that much about this.

I do agree that the manual need image compression though

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The OST is not unrelated. I'd prefer to distribute it in .wav instead of lossy formats.

We're in the days of AAA games taking 100Gb+ once installed. I don't think 8GB is too much to ask for.

8 GB is nothing. The preponderance of posters here have little to no problem with the size of the module. Please focus your dev efforts elsewhere.

Oh, and great job on the Cat :thumbup: