[BUG] Right engine does not spin up after re-spawning form being shot down

AMRAAM_Missiles

This happened to us just now. I was RIO and friend was pilot. We had been playing for a while, and changed planes a few times due to getting shot down etc. Suddenly we were unable to start the R engine, even after getting in a new AC. Playing online on the hoggit server.

A guide on how to properly report this would be nice.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to solve this bug is for it to happen to me while I'm running in debug mode. No one on the entire HB test team has ever seen it as far as I know. Don't hold your breath.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

Hi guys,

I really don't know if this strategy would help, but reading this before my first coffee today I thought the following:

In the past (I think it related to the Viggen in the early stages), the module had problems when entering the cockpit when pressing "Fly again" ...

@airhunter: did you do a "preliminary cockpit check", like making sure EACH AND EVERY SINGLE switch set to the position where it should be.

Now my idea: If this above IS(!) the case, clicking all of the switches to their "other" positions and then switch them back to the intended position which is required for normal engine start. Maybe the switches are set correctly, but they are not activating the function they should or something isn't set correctly in the sim when entering the cockpit (even the power levers, ...). It would be interesting if fuel valves are opened when going from cut off to idle, this could be tested by watching the fuel indicator or fuel flow indicator.

I cannot test it today, since I am not at home.

I had this problem in the past as well, but found no solution to work around other than re-starting DCS. I really want to help :noexpression:

Anyway guys, good luck in finding this really nasty one!

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hi guys,

I really don't know if this strategy would help, but reading this before my first coffee today I thought the following:

In the past (I think it related to the Viggen in the early stages), the module had problems when entering the cockpit when pressing "Fly again" ...

@airhunter: did you do a "preliminary cockpit check", like making sure EACH AND EVERY SINGLE switch set to the position where it should be.

Now my idea: If this above IS(!) the case, clicking all of the switches to their "other" positions and then switch them back to the intended position which is required for normal engine start. Maybe the switches are set correctly, but they are not activating the function they should or something isn't set correctly in the sim when entering the cockpit (even the power levers, ...). It would be interesting if fuel valves are opened when going from cut off to idle, this could be tested by watching the fuel indicator or fuel flow indicator.

I cannot test it today, since I am not at home.

I had this problem in the past as well, but found no solution to work around other than re-starting DCS. I really want to help :noexpression:

Anyway guys, good luck in finding this really nasty one!

This is in general a great idea, and we expect it to be some kind of initialization issue as well (and maybe it got fixed in the last update, we have to see yet), but the problem with what you suggest is, that you would have to know it will happen. And then test it for every switch, which ofc is not possible. Say you would flick all the switches and it doesnt happen, how would you know it was the switch flicking and not the bug just not happening this time... Reasons like this is why it is so hard for us to find this bug. Especially since not a single tester or dev of ours had it so far.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I will do some tests in MP maybe this evening, I hope the problem appears (sounds strange :lol:).

I think I'll start with the power levers, then move to electric systems, and maybe then to the fuel systems. I read in the forums that people tried out "everything" to light it up, with no success.

"Re-setting" a single switch/lever, then crank, then fuel open, and look.

Then going to the next one, crank, then fuel open, look.

After one hour of looking: come back to the forum for whining :D

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Flew 2 hours, mostly on Stennis and SC.

Changed aircraft a few times.

Nothing.

Didn't have the problem.

Damn.

Frustrated.

Going for lunch now.

Love the F-14 module.

:music_whistling:

my computer:

Nothing.

Didn't have the problem.

Damn.

Frustrated.

Going for lunch now.

Love the F-14 module.

Now you see why I don't/can't spend 8 hours of free time on a weekend hoping this will happen to find the cause. Time like that is better spent on other bugs or new features. Like I said, no one on the HB test team has ever even seen this bug. That's how rare is it.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

Nothing.

Didn't have the problem.

Damn.

Frustrated.

Going for lunch now.

Love the F-14 module.

It is really appreciated that you do that, Viper, but honestly, I'd much rather see you spend your time enjoying the kitty, not worrying too much about this most illusive bug. I am sure, at some point, somewhere down the line, it will make simply "click" and we will either stumble over the reason or find it by accident or finally get a great idea that will solve it, it cannot evade us forever. But spending your precious weekend time to hunt it down, is nothing we would ever ask you to do. Luckily it happens so rarely, that it is not a game breaker, even if you have to restart DCS in the worst case.

Again, thanks a lot for your effort though, it is always appreciated. :)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Again, thanks a lot for your effort though, it is always appreciated. :)

Thanks for your kind words, but I had a lot of fun flying the cat anyway, thus it is not worth mentioning it. I even enjoy spending time in DCS just flying around without any plans or special intentions, it is a great joy to fly (especially the CAT) and watch the beautiful landscape of Caucasus, that I am happy after flying a few touch & go's. It is a true simulation, thus as a user I can always decide how deep I dig into all this. And because of this, so many "ways" to "use" DCS or interact with the sim are open; its a dream.

The CAT was the thing that had to happen someday (after Fleet Defender, Tornado, Falcon, etc.), and the DCS CAT is lucky to have HB as its creator/programmer.

Happy hunting folks!

my computer:

Probably not worth your time pinning down

Strangely enough I had the problem come back a few times in the Hoggit GAW server taking off from the stennis. Been on PGAW and haven't had the problem a single time the last month so I thought it was gone.

A little more clear data that worked perfectly each time for starting up in flight:

1.Disable Asymmetric thrust limiter (for burner take off from carrier)

2.Turn on Air-start

3. Turn on SEC for right engine.

And that's it. Lit up in flight easily and quickly above 200 knots.

For what it's worth, if you guys can't pin it down easily it's probably not worth wasting your time looking for. Odds are it's some random interaction with spaghetti code related to the core engine that none of use even realized was there.

I have had this a couple of times after being shot. Is the engine damage not clearing on the respawn ?

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

looks like you can't start up engine which you take damage.in this case,after repaire i unable to start up left engine,and combind HYD Pressrue is 0 all the time...

still testing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=237816&stc=1&d=1590855888

Screen_200530_230959.thumb.png.50d68084a0290c898c34328db45dd494.png

I7-4790K | RTX2070 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | 24G DDR3 | 東芝 TOSHIBA HG5d M.2 256GB SSD | Q200 EX

• 4 weeks later...

Just encountered this bug (3 aircraft in a row) today after having played 10 DCS sessions with about 2 f-14 cold starts each in the past. Human RIO and I go shot down in MP server, respawned in f14 #1 cranked right engine stuck at ~25%, jumped in f14 #2 cranked right engine stuck at ~25%, jumped in f14 #3 cranked left engine first no problem then cranked right engine stuck at ~25%.

• 1 month later...

Last night on latest beta I experienced this bug. I didn't even use MP through the Internet. Just in SP mission made as one client (common for Sedlo missions).

1. Played normally a few trials on mission "Debridging..." and quiting after getting hit (so highly probable engine failures).

2. Then tried this mission

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=267847

and failed to start right engine (left one started ok).

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

This is definitely a bug, will look into it tonight. Sounds like some damage states aren’t being cleared properly after a re-init.

Indeed.

Is this occurring at all in SP?

Yes it is: I just had it happen in the BVR Instant Action mission in the SoH map. Step by step this is what happened:

- I shot down both MiG-29s, then turned to the Phantoms but they were landing, so I turned towards the tanker.

- Apparently the tanker had the right basket reserved for me, and the left one for my wingman, since nothing happened when I tried to connect to the left basket.

- My wingman meanwhile, who was 5+ nm behind me when I approached the tanker, had used this time to creep up on me, and decided it was a good idea to completely ignore my presence when going for the left basket, colliding with me. This took out my left rudder and left engine.

- My wingman turned towards Ras Al Khaimah and made an emergency landing there, while I turned to Al Minhad, since it's marked Blue in that mission, aiming for a repair to then resume my flight to the Stennis.

- I repaired, started up my right engine which went fine, but the left one failed to start: the engine start switch was in the left position, but the needle for combined hydraulic pressure didn't rise, and was stuck at 0. Therefore, the left engine failed to start, and I had no choice but to end the mission right there and then.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Indeed.

Yes it is: I just had it happen in the BVR Instant Action mission in the SoH map. Step by step this is what happened:

- I shot down both MiG-29s, then turned to the Phantoms but they were landing, so I turned towards the tanker.

- Apparently the tanker had the right basket reserved for me, and the left one for my wingman, since nothing happened when I tried to connect to the left basket.

- My wingman meanwhile, who was 5+ nm behind me when I approached the tanker, had used this time to creep up on me, and decided it was a good idea to completely ignore my presence when going for the left basket, colliding with me. This took out my left rudder and left engine.

- My wingman turned towards Ras Al Khaimah and made an emergency landing there, while I turned to Al Minhad, since it's marked Blue in that mission, aiming for a repair to then resume my flight to the Stennis.

- I repaired, started up my right engine which went fine, but the left one failed to start: the engine start switch was in the left position, but the needle for combined hydraulic pressure didn't rise, and was stuck at 0. Therefore, the left engine failed to start, and I had no choice but to end the mission right there and then.

I reported almost the same thing as a bug a while back, never got hydraulics back following a repair.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]