Queston about RIO spot for private multiplayer

kitsunelegend

Is someone who doesn't own the F-14 able to sit in the backseat of the tomcat? Or does DCS still do that dumb thing where all parties have to own said aircraft in order to use any part of it at all, even if their friend owns it and controls it from the pilot's seat?

I'm asking cause I'd like to take my bestie up for a joy ride, but theres a good chance he wont be able to purchase the cat for the foreseeable future due to the fact his "ball and chain" keeps him from spending that kind of money all willy nilly

Would be nice if ED did what the IL-2 devs do and let non-owners take up secondary positions in multicrew aircraft. I know having that feature made me pull the trigger on a quite a few different purchases for IL-2 after getting to take a ride in one of the gunner's spots... I would think that maybe that could be a selling point for some people...

Is someone who doesn't own the F-14 able to sit in the backseat of the tomcat? Or does DCS still do that dumb thing where all parties have to own said aircraft in order to use any part of it at all, even if their friend owns it and controls it from the pilot's seat?

I'm asking cause I'd like to take my bestie up for a joy ride, but theres a good chance he wont be able to purchase the cat for the foreseeable future due to the fact his "ball and chain" keeps him from spending that kind of money all willy nilly

Would be nice if ED did what the IL-2 devs do and let non-owners take up secondary positions in multicrew aircraft. I know having that feature made me pull the trigger on a quite a few different purchases for IL-2 after getting to take a ride in one of the gunner's spots... I would think that maybe that could be a selling point for some people...

Secondary positions? As in have someone able to fly in the RIO seat but have all the functions disabled? I'm not following.

Heatblur has two packs on for a discount.

I mean the RIO isn't really a secondary position. He basically is more important than the pilot. Literally the pilot is just a chauffeur, taking the weapons officer around so he can blow shiz up. So really, if you wanted that, your buddy would have to be flying, rather than being the RIO.

All in all, a demo would be cool. But, why would they do that? Why not just make you spend that 80 bucks for your buddy if he can't. Seems like a profitable situation to me.

❤️

Secondary positions? As in have someone able to fly in the RIO seat but have all the functions disabled? I'm not following.

Heatblur has two packs on for a discount.

Secondary as in co-pilot, gunner, spotter, what have you. Like, they have access to all the functions of their spot, bar actually being able to fly the aircraft. So if the owner/pilot leaves, they get kicked from the plane. if the pilot is killed/ejects, they have to bail, ect. Its what the IL-2 devs have set up for their multicrew vehicles. You dont have to own the vehicle in question in order to take up a gunner's seat. You just wont be able fly and/or drive the tank or plane directly. The owner of said vehicle would have to do that.

So on something like the Huey for example, they'd be able to use all the functions like the co-pilot or door gunners except being able to directly fly the huey itself, and would have to bail in the case of the pilot getting knocked out. Its a great way to give friends a taste of the actual vehicle in case they aren't able to purchase the module themselves right away, or are on the fence about buying it.

Same could be done with maps. You could play on them on servers, but wont have access to them in single player or the mission editor.

As for the discounts, where exactly are these located? Cause I checked the main DCS store page, and found nothing. The tomcat is still listed at $80 USD

Secondary as in co-pilot, gunner, spotter, what have you. Like, they have access to all the functions of their spot, bar actually being able to fly the aircraft. So if the owner/pilot leaves, they get kicked from the plane. if the pilot is killed/ejects, they have to bail, ect. Its what the IL-2 devs have set up for their multicrew vehicles. You dont have to own the vehicle in question in order to take up a gunner's seat. You just wont be able fly and/or drive the tank or plane directly. The owner of said vehicle would have to do that.

So on something like the Huey for example, they'd be able to use all the functions like the co-pilot or door gunners except being able to directly fly the huey itself, and would have to bail in the case of the pilot getting knocked out. Its a great way to give friends a taste of the actual vehicle in case they aren't able to purchase the module themselves right away, or are on the fence about buying it.

Same could be done with maps. You could play on them on servers, but wont have access to them in single player or the mission editor.

As for the discounts, where exactly are these located? Cause I checked the main DCS store page, and found nothing. The tomcat is still listed at $80 USD

Like Pony said above, the RIO pit is basically an entire advanced module minus the flight model - it's deep man.

heatblur.se - they sell two pack licenses for a discount.

As with all things, there is supply and demand. I'm guessing they don't see the need to do this because demand is just fine.

If you want to entire someone to play DCS, download it, and do some P-51 work, or grab the A-4. If that doesn't convince them, being a door gunner won't either.

You can't ask a niche market software system to use big publisher type antics to sell product. You don't want that at all. DCS is pretty specific. Those who enjoy sims, will enjoy it. Those with the money to afford multiple modules are likely less than those who can't afford. it. That said, there are at least three fantastic free, fun, enjoyable modules to let you understand DCS.

The model works fine.

hey Smee have you seen a decent Manual other than the NATOP for DCS F14. The heat Blur seems Like its very incomplete. I'm trying to do some Night Ops but seems Like a lot of stuff just isn't working.

Thrustmaster A10 Warthog

Thrustmaster Rudder

Naturalpoint TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

ACPI x64 PC

Corsair K70 RGB LUX

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Intel i7-8700K@3.70GHz

GeFORCE GTX 1080 Ti

16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15

hey Smee have you seen a decent Manual other than the NATOP for DCS F14. The heat Blur seems Like its very incomplete. I'm trying to do some Night Ops but seems Like a lot of stuff just isn't working.
Negative. I rely a lot on the RIO school video on YT.

What stuff isn't working? (Sorry OP -> OT).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Like Pony said above, the RIO pit is basically an entire advanced module minus the flight model - it's deep man.

heatblur.se - they sell two pack licenses for a discount.

As with all things, there is supply and demand. I'm guessing they don't see the need to do this because demand is just fine.

If you want to entire someone to play DCS, download it, and do some P-51 work, or grab the A-4. If that doesn't convince them, being a door gunner won't either.

You can't ask a niche market software system to use big publisher type antics to sell product. You don't want that at all. DCS is pretty specific. Those who enjoy sims, will enjoy it. Those with the money to afford multiple modules are likely less than those who can't afford. it. That said, there are at least three fantastic free, fun, enjoyable modules to let you understand DCS.

The model works fine.

IL-2 is anything BUT "big publisher" actually. If anything, they're only slightly bigger than DCS, but only because they offer slightly MORE than DCS does, in terms of aircraft numbers. Only major difference, is that IL-2 is mainly WWII eastern front (but with western front planned and already being developed)

If anything, they're still just as niche as DCS.

But I can tell you from personally experience, being able to fly in the gunner seat of my friend's Ju-52 pushed me over the fence into actually buying the plane over in IL-2. And its currently one of my all time favorite aircraft in the game now (until they add the C-47 that is)

Hell, just being able to fly on maps you dont own on multiplayer servers is huge, even more so with the WWII asset pack. In fact, that was a major point of contention for a friend of mine back when one of the korean/cold war servers he played a ton on was thinking of switching over to the WWII asset pack for the server. He was upset because if they HAD switched over to using it, he would no longer be able to fly on that server simply because he didn't own the asset pack. And afaik, there aren't many korean/cold war servers available anymore.

And imho, gating that stuff off like that, especially for multiplayer, is a really bad thing, especially if you want more people playing your game/sim.

IL-2 is anything BUT "big publisher" actually. If anything, they're only slightly bigger than DCS, but only because they offer slightly MORE than DCS does, in terms of aircraft numbers. Only major difference, is that IL-2 is mainly WWII eastern front (but with western front planned and already being developed)

If anything, they're still just as niche as DCS.

But I can tell you from personally experience, being able to fly in the gunner seat of my friend's Ju-52 pushed me over the fence into actually buying the plane over in IL-2. And its currently one of my all time favorite aircraft in the game now (until they add the C-47 that is)

Hell, just being able to fly on maps you dont own on multiplayer servers is huge, even more so with the WWII asset pack. In fact, that was a major point of contention for a friend of mine back when one of the korean/cold war servers he played a ton on was thinking of switching over to the WWII asset pack for the server. He was upset because if they HAD switched over to using it, he would no longer be able to fly on that server simply because he didn't own the asset pack. And afaik, there aren't many korean/cold war servers available anymore.

And imho, gating that stuff off like that, especially for multiplayer, is a really bad thing, especially if you want more people playing your game/sim.

It's published by Ubisoft.

I would think that a 5 day try before buy would make sense, but that's about it. (And it's possible there is a return policy on licenses - I've never checked that out - maybe you could?)

It's published by Ubisoft.

I would think that a 5 day try before buy would make sense, but that's about it. (And it's possible there is a return policy on licenses - I've never checked that out - maybe you could?)

Uhhhhh wat? Ubisoft? What IL-2 are you talking about? The one I'm talking about is IL-2 Great Battles series (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban) which is developed and published by 777 Studios and 1C Game Studios. They're the same guys that made Rise of Flight. In fact the engine for IL-2 is heavily based off of the one for Rise of Flight.

I mean hell, does Ubisoft even have a flight simulator? Cause last I checked I dont think they do.

Uhhhhh wat? Ubisoft? What IL-2 are you talking about? The one I'm talking about is IL-2 Great Battles series (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban) which is developed and published by 777 Studios and 1C Game Studios. They're the same guys that made Rise of Flight. In fact the engine for IL-2 is heavily based off of the one for Rise of Flight.

I mean hell, does Ubisoft even have a flight simulator? Cause last I checked I dont think they do.

Publisher isn't the same as a developer. I'm confident in my understanding. You can verify yours if you wish. Also you should have a look at 1Cs revenue.

Would be nice if ED did what the IL-2 devs do and let non-owners take up secondary positions in multicrew aircraft.

This betrays your ignorance of just how in-depth and complicated the RIO's role is. You will spend far more time learning the backseat than the frontseat in the Tomcat. Giving it away for free would be odd given that the RIO seat alone is more sophisticated of a simulation than most other entire DCS modules.

This betrays your ignorance of just how in-depth and complicated the RIO's role is. You will spend far more time learning the backseat than the frontseat in the Tomcat. Giving it away for free would be odd given that the RIO seat alone is more sophisticated of a simulation than most other entire DCS modules.
I'm pretty sure he'll just keep replying all day and all night. He's altruistic, clearly, trying to help ED with sales. . .. .. .. . .. .

Publisher isn't the same as a developer. I'm confident in my understanding. You can verify yours if you wish. Also you should have a look at 1Cs revenue.

I know the difference between a dev and a publisher. This isn't my first rodeo hun. 1C is the main publisher, while 777 are the main devs and partner publishers. You can check their main website, and nowhere on it does it list "Ubisoft" in any fashion. Not to mention, most if not all games owned and/or published by Ubisoft are typically launched through Uplay. IL-2 is both on steam and through their own unaffiliated website.

Whoever told you differently was giving false info.

Secondly, I dont appreciate the border line personal attacks, when I'm only trying to give suggestions based on my own, and my friend's personal experiences. Most people dont get into flight sims because they dont want to fly or spend money getting a flight stick set up, thats why this genre of game is niche. Having multiplayer seats for door gunners and back seats that dont require people to own said aircraft, but doesn't give them full control over said aircraft, would bring in more people who normally wouldn't want to get stuck in in the first place. Which can then also lead more people buying stuff, and actually wanting to get stuck in.

Maybe ED ignores this suggestion. Or maybe they listen. Who knows. But nothing will ever happen if nobody makes the suggestion or brings up the idea in the first place.

Maybe ED can do a minimum purchase thing? Spend $15 and you get access to multicrew as a second seat or a door gunner, but not the actual aircraft itself, so they could only fly it with a friend who does own it.

In fact, why not give your own ideas, instead of just saying "oh that wont work!" or "oh thats a bad idea" hm?

I can hust speak for myselfe, but I would also think that this option would increase sales.

With the f-14s complexity it is understandable that it is not possible, but for less complex planes it would be. I was multiple times on the fence of buying the l-39 for example, and beimg able to fly in the backseat would probably have made me buy it, but I haven‘t.

Maps on Multiplayer are also an eternal discussion, and also speaking purely about myselfe, I was on the fence of buying pg very long, and if I could have tried it in multiplayer, I would have bought it ways earlier. Also because we mainly fly on private servers and most of us are still in school, if one person is online that does not have persian gulf, we can‘t use it.

Additionaly, Multiplayer is a small nice and if it would grow, more people would join squadrons and give them a new aspect to dcs, with more motivation and more motivation to buy new modules.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

I know the difference between a dev and a publisher. This isn't my first rodeo hun. 1C is the main publisher, while 777 are the main devs and partner publishers. You can check their main website, and nowhere on it does it list "Ubisoft" in any fashion. Not to mention, most if not all games owned and/or published by Ubisoft are typically launched through Uplay. IL-2 is both on steam and through their own unaffiliated website.

Whoever told you differently was giving false info.

Secondly, I dont appreciate the border line personal attacks, when I'm only trying to give suggestions based on my own, and my friend's personal experiences. Most people dont get into flight sims because they dont want to fly or spend money getting a flight stick set up, thats why this genre of game is niche. Having multiplayer seats for door gunners and back seats that dont require people to own said aircraft, but doesn't give them full control over said aircraft, would bring in more people who normally wouldn't want to get stuck in in the first place. Which can then also lead more people buying stuff, and actually wanting to get stuck in.

Maybe ED ignores this suggestion. Or maybe they listen. Who knows. But nothing will ever happen if nobody makes the suggestion or brings up the idea in the first place.

Maybe ED can do a minimum purchase thing? Spend $15 and you get access to multicrew as a second seat or a door gunner, but not the actual aircraft itself, so they could only fly it with a friend who does own it.

In fact, why not give your own ideas, instead of just saying "oh that wont work!" or "oh thats a bad idea" hm?

Final comments:

I've already suggested a method to allow for try before buy - feel free to find it if you wish.

Mods are there for issues with personal attacks - again, feel free.

I don't think there is a problem with access to the game. Soon there will be two free maps, and there are now at least three free phenomenal airframes to use. Perhaps as more multicrew a/c become available, they can look at it again, however there would have to be a business case that states there are a significant amount of people who don't want to fly, but rather want to operate the A/C's systems instead. I assume VR and these more complex systems models will likely create a new genre of game/game-play, but we aren't there yet.

We're both correct: Ubi published it early on, and it looks as if they are now done with it.

Finally, you aren't supposed to use quotation marks for something that wasn't written/said. But feel free to do what you wish.

Happy hunting.

I can hust speak for myselfe, but I would also think that this option would increase sales.

With the f-14s complexity it is understandable that it is not possible, but for less complex planes it would be. I was multiple times on the fence of buying the l-39 for example, and beimg able to fly in the backseat would probably have made me buy it, but I haven‘t.

Maps on Multiplayer are also an eternal discussion, and also speaking purely about myselfe, I was on the fence of buying pg very long, and if I could have tried it in multiplayer, I would have bought it ways earlier. Also because we mainly fly on private servers and most of us are still in school, if one person is online that does not have persian gulf, we can‘t use it.

Additionally, Multiplayer is a small nice and if it would grow, more people would join squadrons and give them a new aspect to dcs, with more motivation and more motivation to buy new modules.

It is possible. The business hypothesis would have to state that the investment required to allow such operation would create significant return on investment.

With the amount of content that is out there now, Youtube and other, it should be possible to understand what you are getting into before you buy it. As immersive technologies become the norm, you will eventually be able to 'hope into a stream' and see everything as is. No, you won't be able to touch, but you will definitely get the experience and hopefully, will have the confidence to invest. Certainly an interesting debate that I'm sure ED is bringing up on a recurring basis.