So, Victory

dawgie79

After all your great write-ups of different procedures and tips and such, when are you gonna jump behind a stick with a camera mounted at the screen, and show off your tips in (digital/virtual) practise to us?

Would help a lot of us I imagine. We can't have enough tutorials and vids. :)

Again thanks for your insightful contributions on the F-14!

I hate video. Believe it or not, I'm also running on a Mac Pro under Bootcamp, and don't have Teamspeak or any sort of Capture software.

I know a lot of folks like to be spoon fed and think of themselves as visual learners and so forth, but you simply have to strap in and figure this out step by step. If all you do is rage around and expect to be proficient in two days, you will be disappointed and never progress.

In the guides, there are tips for how to induce a spin and practice recovery, how to find power settings for your configuration in the Case I pattern. You have to put in the work.

There was a guy that made a two hour video on the Case I pattern for the Hornet. How many times did you watch it? A paper can be referenced at any time, even while the sim is paused. Video has a place, but for overview and familiarization when a student hasn't had access to the cockpit, but it doesn't have depth.

You have a simulator in your hands. It is an extremely valuable asset. Go fly it.

Viewpoints are my own.

Written stuff has advantages video won't ever overcome, like the ability to go search for missing information few lines or paragraphs before, instant.

If you missed a point on a previous sentence, getting the info back is a matter of seconds, and being written, your eyes have seen it, you know it's there, somewhere around previous page, for example.

I keep missing important stuff and have to re-watch entire sequences of videos pretty often, not knowing where the missing info is.

You typically see in videos the check lists and such being enumerated on a corner of the screen. This kind of stuff is better suited for written media.

Video is not the answer for everything.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Video is only useful when describing an operation is much harder than showing it. For example, tying a special type of knot.

In a sim where everything you're supposed to do can be properly described in terms of cockpit actions, distances, vectors, etc..., video is next to useless.

Now there are different methods in learning, my son barely retains anything he reads but if you read it to him he retains it very well, once we adopted that method of learning for him his school work improved immensely. Being very dyslexic, reading for him was a big handicap, thankfully he is now getting better at it, but even at now 22 he is a very slow reader but he does speak fluent Flemish and English.

His cousin had the same problem and had to read everything out loud to retain it, but it was effective and she left university with magna cum laude and one of the highest passes at Leuven University as a pharmacist.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

To each their own. I prefer text as well.

Text and maybe some pictures if needed.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

To each their own. I prefer text as well.

Indeed, to each their own.

In my case, I learn much, much easier when seeing (hearing) something than reading about it. Has been for nearly 40 yrs now. Pity it doesn't seem to get acknowledged here (at least, that's the feeling I get when reading these replies), but I'll keep flying of course, and keep an eye on youtube.

Thanks anyway folks. :)

Indeed, to each their own.

In my case, I learn much, much easier when seeing (hearing) something than reading about it. Has been for nearly 40 yrs now. Pity it doesn't seem to get acknowledged here (at least, that's the feeling I get when reading these replies), but I'll keep flying of course, and keep an eye on youtube.

Thanks anyway folks. :)

Do you take notes when viewing/hearing?

There is no way to learn the volume of information you are responsible for in aviation by video. That obviously holds true for a broad spectrum of professions.

Viewpoints are my own.

Combination of both. Instead of videos, an actual instructor is even better. I've had things understood in 3 minutes of video that I needed to read up for 5 hours beforehoof, but that at least makes me remember that stuff for more than just 3 days. Taking the theory to practice is the key.

I've learned a profession, totally without any instructor. Right when I finished that, I felt like I knew nothing at all and I wasn't given a chance anywhere to work in that business, literally confirming what I felt. Wasted time... That's not how learning works. Books and reading are supplementary, but also mandatory at the same time. But just that alone doesn't cut anything.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Do you take notes when viewing/hearing?

There is no way to learn the volume of information you are responsible for in aviation by video. That obviously holds true for a broad spectrum of professions.

No, I don't. My learning is best by doing something or seeing (sometimes hearing) how you do something. Or talking about it. Over and over again.

I'm just more of a visualiser than a reader.

Besides that I exclusively fly in VR so even if I'd want to I can't take/read notes during flying.

Of course I've read things, sure I did, and still do, and I can remember most things as well. But to translate a few written words into the practical world is not well suited for me. So yeah, there are video's I've watched 5 times or something (excellent example for me was the vid by Lex Talionis regarding On Speed AoA and such in the F/A-18C -->

).

I'll manage. Thanks.

Lex's short vids are good, but the information could be presented in less time if necessary. My Case I Tips are just that, they assume as stated, that you are familiar with the pattern and how to fly a basic approach. Otherwise, the LSO's wouldn't let you near the ship in the first place. It is the nuances of flying that pattern in the F14 sim. The sim carrier landing handling will be getting better over time.

I am responsible currently for about ten thousand pages of flight manuals, operations manuals, Air way manuals, chart notes, policy documents, etc, etc, etc. Reading is the only way, and lots and lots and lots of notes. Sort of like Tips sheets. We have a pilot who has made up a Study Guide that seeks to address most of the basic aircraft operation knowledge. It's 176 pages long.

No question that we are producing a generation of video addicts. Each has a place.

Some of the guys posting videos make money off of their production. They should, it takes many hours to produce such quality work. Another reason for my deference to them.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

Well, you and others keep saying reading is the only way, but with respect, not everyone is the same. Reading and doing are two very different things for me.

I'll read your writings for reference, but will keep on searching/watching vids. My question was just curiosity, so never mind then. :)

Thanks again for your efforts and time.

Confucius said:

«I hear and i forget,

I see and I rememeber,

I do and I understand.»

First of all, personally, I think that, in order to learn procedures, it's instrumental to practise them.

I can read a manual or watch a video, but usually, unless it's something simple, I need to practise what I'm trying to learn in order to understand it and learn it properly.

Of course you need a source of info to know what to do...

I think that video has its pros and cons. One of the pros you guys haven't mentioned is that you see the buttons and knobs being activated in the cockpit and so, even if you didn't know/remember where the doohickey to control something is located, you can learn it fast.

Honestly, when I read manuals sometimes I struggle because I don't know what they are talking about and I have to go back to the controls/instrument list chapter to see where the doohickey is located and maybe there is a picture showing a cockpit with numbers aside each dial and the list of descriptions doesn't fit the page and so I have to read the descriprion in the following page, go back to look at the picture and then go back to the chapter where they mentioned the dial.

I see mainly two ways of learning an aircraft for myself:

•I study the manual like I were about to have an examination and move to the next chapter only when I know what I've studied by heart. This feels more like a professional approach to me.

•I watch videos and familiarize with the airplane; I just learn some reference values like rotation speed etc., then, after I've got a decent grasp of it, I read the manual to find out details.

And, in either case, I practise.

EDIT: And thanks @Victory for his work.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

Confucius said:

«I hear and i forget,

I see and I rememeber,

I do and I understand.»

First of all, personally, I think that, in order to learn procedures, it's instrumental to practise them.

I can read a manual or watch a video, but usually, unless it's something simple, I need to practise what I'm trying to learn in order to understand it and learn it properly.

Of course you need a source of info to know what to do...

I think that video has its pros and cons. One of the pros you guys haven't mentioned is that you see the buttons and knobs being activated in the cockpit and so, even if you didn't know/remember where the doohickey to control something is located, you can learn it fast.

Honestly, when I read manuals sometimes I struggle because I don't know what they are talking about and I have to go back to the controls/instrument list chapter to see where the doohickey is located and maybe there is a picture showing a cockpit with numbers aside each dial and the list of descriptions doesn't fit the page and so I have to read the descriprion in the following page, go back to look at the picture and then go back to the chapter where they mentioned the dial.

I see mainly two ways of learning an aircraft for myself:

•I study the manual like I were about to have an examination and move to the next chapter only when I know what I've studied by heart. This feels more like a professional approach to me.

•I watch videos and familiarize with the airplane; I just learn some reference values like rotation speed etc., then, after I've got a decent grasp of it, I read the manual to find out details.

And, in either case, I practise.

EDIT: And thanks @Victory for his work.

This is pretty similar to my approach. I read the manual, to get an idea of each new area to learn, then I try to find a video demonstrating it. After that, I go into DCS and practice the hell out of it, using either the documentation, or videos as reference.

Also, making your own kneeboards for whatever you're practicing can go a long way, too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lex's short vids are good, but the information could be presented in less time. My Case I Tips are just that, they assume as stated, that you are familiar with the pattern and how to fly a basic approach. Otherwise, the LSO's wouldn't let you near the ship in the first place. It is the nuances of flying that pattern in the F14 sim. The sim carrier landing handling will be getting better over time.

I am responsible currently for about ten thousand pages of flight manuals, operations manuals, Air way manuals, chart notes, policy documents, etc, etc, etc. Reading is the only way, and lots and lots and lots of notes. Sort of like Tips sheets. We have a pilot who has made up a Study Guide that seeks to address most of the basic aircraft operation knowledge. It's 176 pages long.

No question that we are producing a generation of video addicts. Each has a place.

Victory can you read my bug reprt on Friendlys showing up as hostile pls.

Edited by 1Shot1KiLL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dawgie79 Come talk to us in our discord. It was put together exactly for this reason. We will fly with ya and since i can be in the back seat of the 14, i can literally act as an IP.

Also, I often use pen and paper :)

Now we're talking Old School!

I came up through Training Command during the chalk board and Overhead Projector era, which was quickly supplanted by the White Board and Slide Tray Era, and then digital to include Power Point (the latter was a huge step in the wrong direction)!.

The hilarious aspect was that guys were mesmerized by the White Board, and thought of any reason to stand up, hold forth about anything, and scribble on it.

Of course the USN still uses grease boards and backwards writing for many things...

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

I’ve experienced death by PowerPoint in many briefings, trainings, seminars, etc., military and civilian. Instructors/presenters use it as an excuse to be lazy, creating slides of bullet points and then directly reading those bullet points verbatim. Drives me crazy and makes me wish I had rotten fruit to chuck their direction.

But I’ve also seen PP used to it’s full potential! It’s a powerful tool when used properly and like any tool its effectiveness depends on the person wielding it. I think the hate PP gets is a little unjustified. Most peoples frustrations can be attributed to bad/lazy presenters.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

My aircrew traing always followed the TALK - SHOW - DO approach for all new evolutions. So instructor talks through the procedure/process, shows you how to do it once, then you get in and do it in the sim/proc trainer. Get it right and on you go to do it for real and move on to the next thing. Don't get it right and you're outta there.

But that is just for procedures/actions. All the tech and theory - death by powerpoint and big manuals!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This assumes that the written manual is actually well written and organized to be clear. I haven't seen yours Victory but I found the HTML starter version of the f14B not very useful. I'm sure that will improve over time.

For the F14b, I find that a combination of sim time, manual study and video (quality not withstanding) to be the best way to learn for me.

If i had solely relied on the manual I would be far behind where I am now.

In my opinion the medium of presentation doesn't really matter. Video, text, scale model, who cares?

The real issue is how well it's made. There's a ton of crappy "tutorials" out there, in both video and text formats.

As long as it's well-structured and sensible I don't care what format it's in; I'll take it.