Oculus rift s is coming!

boedha68

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably try it. I still need to get another GTX 1080 or better gpu so my son can have VR. I will probably try RIFT S and give my son the one I like the least our of the RIFT or RIFT S.

Happy Birthday Son! ;)

I'm sorting through what to go with as well. Since I'm currently using a GTX1080. To me, the HP with the 2160x2160 is gonna take a rig and GPU upgrade from what I currently have. (At least my gut tells me). I don't want to upgrade the whole kit and caboodle just yet. So maybe I go Rift S and maintain my current rig. Sell the CV1, or gift it to a kid as well. Then a year or 18 months or so, I upgrade the whole rig, GPU, and with the next VR "all the fan boy rage" thingy...

Before anyone pipes in... Yep, I've been around the tech block enough in my life, that I know there's always the "next thingy" around the corner... The perpetual waiting will drive us insane... ;)

I've gotta sort through this. My CV1 has brought me intense flight sim pleasure for almost the last 2 years. Regardless, VR is the ONLY way to fly! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Seems like the Rift S is meant to attract new users, rather than to entice CV1 users to upgrade.

Still though, having less SDE alone might be reason enough for me to upgrade.

Well, maybe, it is not a huge leap, that's for sure. But the other implications are way more grave. This one out, there is not going to be another High-end Rift 2019. This means that the old roadmaps with foveated rendering or vari-focals are not coming so soon, at least not from Oculus. Oculus is not going to be the one to bring out the first real 2nd gen and certainly not 2019 at all, otherwise S would not bring the sails. In fact Zuckerberg has plucked the goose laying the gold-eggs, good riddance.

The biggest problem of Rift S is 80Hz monitors. I havent idea why they did it.

It means = 40 fps (so not 45 like normal Rift) in most cases.

45 or 40 fps makes a difference.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Maybe except that part where you try to run VR helmet with 2x 2160x2160 screens with a decent frame rate in DCS.

Yo don't need to use all the resolution right now ... you can set less that 1.0 supersampling, you'll have the same software resolution that Rift S, and less SDE.

But when the software improves (FFR) or you have a better graphics card, your HMD will be ready

As a rift CV1 owner I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'd like to have more infos first: CV1 was ok with my previous gtx 1070, now I've upgraded to rtx 2070 and I play with PD 1.2. With rift s I could set PD = 1 having a clearer picture. It's not only about display, they declare better lenses as well, so maybe it could worth. A further higher resolution as the pimax means less fps and I want a balanced system. 80 Hz over 90 is not a big deal IMHO, DCS runs well at 45 fps and they'll upgrade with advanced ASW and ATW features. The biggest advantage IMHO is to get rid of the external sensors (I have three of them, with 4 USB ports only for rift setting; with rift s I'll need just one USB) and the ability to look outside by means of the camera, without the need to wear off the headset. If I sell my rift headset with touch and 3 sensors for 200 €, I can buy a rift s for 250. My only concern is about the tracking quality without the external sensors: not a feature for DCS (I play with hotas and mouse), but I do not want to spend money for a downgrade. I'll wait for reviews and comparisons rift vs rift s when the s will be out, but I do not think oculus will sell something worst than its present headset.

To sell my rift for 200 € and add € 250 to have:

1) better lenses and slightly better resolution without the need to raise the pixel density

2) same tracking quality without external sensors (3 more free USB ports)

3) AR other than VR and the ability to look at my desk without putting off the headset every time

4) an headphone jack in the headset in order to plug my favourite headphones

well it worths for me.

Since Wags has mentioned they have discovered the terrain engine is the main cause of the VR performance issues, I believe performance will improve once ED improves the engine.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Since Wags has mentioned they have discovered the terrain engine is the main cause of the VR performance issues, I believe performance will improve once ED improves the engine.

2 more weeks... errr years!

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well, I was on the fence with waiting for the Rift S or going with an Odyssey +.

The poor specs of the Rift S have pretty much made my mind up.

I was hoping for better as I sold my original Rift a few months back.

Well, and for me, coming from the Rift CV1, then having moved to the O+, with it's AMOLED magic (i.e., darker nights and more vibrant colors in DCS, etc), seeing the Rift S with it's back-lit LCD screens would mean even more washed out looking nights in DCS than the original Rift, is really a damn shame.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Odyssey + has only two cameras for tracking. How tracking is with your headset?

Perfect tracking with two cameras. I had similar good tracking with my Rift CV1 (which only had two base stations).

The additional cameras on the Rift S are really meant for improved tracking of the hand controllers.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Didn't I said it something new could be just around the corner, in one of the thread a newcomer started, but I can't find it right now despite searching for like 20 mins.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Switching from oculus to wmr will make me loose what I bought on the oculus store, but I could think about it. I'm more concerned about 80 Hz as YoYo said (but maybe oculus tested it and it's ok) and about tracking quality without external sensors. I think I'll wait to read comparisons between rift and rift s, when the s will be out.

One of the best qualities of CV1 is lightweight and ergonomics, if rift s will be better, in this field it could be a no brainer.

One of my biggest doubts about the S is the sound. Looks a bit weedy to me, and the strap looks too bulky to get a decent set of headphones over it.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

It's a crying shame they excluded the headphone solution from CV1. The audio is shockingly good.

Yeah, that's a bit puzzling . I mean I get that there will be sound, but if it's not a headphone, others around you will get annoyed, I would think.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's a crying shame they excluded the headphone solution from CV1. The audio is shockingly good.

^^

Yes this!

I love my Rift audio, and especially like using the in ear Oculus Earbuds with the Rift.

Audio is a big plus in the feature department for the Rift and sounds like they virtually scrapped it.

Crazy.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

One of my biggest doubts about the S is the sound. Looks a bit weedy to me, and the strap looks too bulky to get a decent set of headphones over it.

And that sir becomes a major pain. I had an ear speaker fail and it become apparent just how utilitarian those built in ear speakers are when you have to use a pair of headphones in addition to the Rift, fortunately the HMD got replaced under warranty.

Aside, I think Rift has lost the plot or more to it "we" aren't buying enough software to keep Mark & Co in a manner they've become accustomed to because instead of developing a better Rift they've come out with a better sales gadget. IMHO.

My next VR HMD wont be a Rift. :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Aside, I think Rift has lost the plot or more to it "we" aren't buying enough software to keep Mark & Co in a manner they've become accustomed to because instead of developing a better Rift they've come out with a better sales gadget. IMHO.

The association with Facebook was the only thing making me question getting the next Oculus product. The quality, technology, and ease of use still had me convinced that I would hold out for the next Oculus product, in spite of Facebook. And then I see what their latest offering is.........

Well, I guess I'll be getting the new HP when it comes out. The Rift S is such a disappointment, :mad:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

There's an old saying, "you get what you pay for",

just saying.... :hmm:

Definitely true. When the price on the Rift S was published, my hopes started to fizzle. I thought "$349.00? With hand controllers? Probably not going to be worth the hype if it costs that little." The publishing of the specs confirmed what I feared.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: