Oculus rift s is coming!

boedha68

They have demoed it and the word is "soon", my guess Q2/3 probably the same with the new rift-S.

The interesting thing about the Rift-S is that it looks very similar to the high end HP set which does use 2160x2160 per eye displays. But no official word yet on the res aside from the fact it would be an "incremental" upgrade. So I'm gonna guess 1600x1400 for the rift.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify something. Lots of the time I was misinterpreted so read carefully what I'm writing and take it just as some calculations based on facts not as I'm pushing to some of this VR device. Just take my guessing as part of the information to take it into consideration before you make a decision what to buy. Nothing else.

everything I was predicting with Pimax5K+ was shown in the end as for right information same as my concern about price. I personally will not purchase Pimax5K+ and period. Simply it is not worth that money for what you got and this product is just transition to second generation VR and don't have future. Pimax8KX, maybe if they manage to make it at all.

I'm not buying it or recommended but in the end, it is your choice, not my.

Let's finish here with Pimax. RIP

About Rift S as I say and we should get first specs on GDC19 so as they say will be a cheaper version of Rift with a slightly better picture but without IPD adjustment what growing rumors about one single display with the split picture.

Cosmos is interesting and that 2160x2160 is questionable. No one so far ddidn't see this displays in practical use. You have in mind they depend highly on good optics because of this display have much smaller diagonal size then for example in WMR's 1440x1440. So if WMR optics have magnification 3x to spread this 1440 to 110° this 2160x2160, due to its size, will need minimum 6x magnification what increase the possible distortion of the picture.

That means the lens should be much better quality and that is also increasing price. It is not impossible but is it economically justified for mass production as a consumer product?

If Cosmos will be with that display for an affordable price will be awsome.

Just to get you to picture what that means I will compare it with WMR and Pimax5k+ PPD.

WMR PPD is around 14 so same for O+ or Vive PRO.

Pimax5K+ PPD is around 18

Cosmos PPD will be around 21

Pimax8KX PPD will be around 28

Perfect targeted PPD for VR is 30 and up.

This is just to get a picture where we are right now and what we could expect in the near future. More about Cosmos we should know in Q3 this year so we will see.

ITs complicated.

What you "see" in VR is a function of pixels per degree FOV. With a 1080p monitor you are in the 30-40ppd range, retinal level resultion is about 70, but you hit the point of diminishing returns past about 30ppd. Currently the rift is like 13ppd, VivePro/O+ and other like ~17. I think once headsets get into the mid20's and 30's people will be pretty happy with how VR looks.

Pushing enough pixels fast enough though is the issue. BUT here is something people are forgetting. If you consider the guy with a rift running PD 2.0 or whatever, he can basically run a headset at PD1.0 with 2x as many pixels with no loss in performance since he's already doing it (Actually a boost most likely since you don't have to downscale). The reason people are running those higher PD's is because the down-scaled image looks better/smoother etc, but its still down-scaled. Now imagine no down-scaling necessary with a higher res display.

Anyhow, I hope the Rift-S is better than 1600x1440... Or at least that it has some good anti-SDE if its that (which means it would be an O+ at that point).

Personally I think the new cosmos with 2160x2160 (most likely) will be new gold standard.

I think I understand what you’re saying regarding the PD versus screen resolution. Are you suggesting that something like the COSMOS, assuming a 2160 x 2160 resolution without any changes to pixel density would be adequately run on something like my RTX? Moreover, would it be successfully run by my RTX with DCS?

That’s a screen resolution of more than 4 million pixels per eye! Is that a realistic expectation for DCS if we simply leave pixel density as is?

Forgive the inane questions, there’s so much I have to learn.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I think I understand what you’re saying regarding the PD versus screen resolution. Are you suggesting that something like the COSMOS, assuming a 2160 x 2160 resolution without any changes to pixel density would be adequately run on something like my RTX? Moreover, would it be successfully run by my RTX with DCS?

That’s a screen resolution of more than 4 million pixels per eye! Is that a realistic expectation for DCS if we simply leave pixel density as is?

Forgive the inane questions, there’s so much I have to learn.

No such thing as inane questions.

All PD is is super sampling, which basically renders a scene at a higher than screen resolution, and then down-samples it to screen resolution. If you truily are Willie Nelson, that means you might remember things like 320x240 displays, and what a big step up 640x480 was. Thats basically what we are gonna see if you go from something like the current Rift (1080x1200) to (2160x2160). You will also save some horsepower in terms of rendering if you don't super sample (since it will just render the higher res scene and not have to do the extra work of down sampling it).

Frankly I'm looking at the Cosmos or the new HP rig (which does have 2160 screens). The system I'm planning to run it will be a 2080ti and 9700k proc. I can't guarantee it will work with DCS, but I bet it will be ok. Especially if ED "fixes" the current VR frames issues with the terrain engine before then.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

WMR PPD is around 14 so same for O+ or Vive PRO.

Pimax5K+ PPD is around 18

Cosmos PPD will be around 21

Pimax8KX PPD will be around 28

Perfect targeted PPD for VR is 30 and up.

Just curious where you are getting these numbers? Most sources I've seen quote the original rift as being ~13ppd. And the O+ being more like 17-18. Its more complicated than just pixels/FOV since the lens design affects things alot.

Just curious where you are getting these numbers? Most sources I've seen quote the original rift as being ~13ppd. And the O+ being more like 17-18. It's more complicated than just pixels/FOV since the lens design affects things a lot.

This is not exactly official numbers but it is pretty accurate.

It is based on horizontal resolution/horizontal FOV per eye.

This per eye is important because HMD FOV is for both eyes so for 110° FOV one eye sees around 100° this additional 10° is a stereoscopic difference per eye.

So it is simple for WMR/Vive PRO is 1440/100 = 14.4 so around 14.

As I say it is not an exact official number and for that, we need more precise specification and no one provide it. But this is good to get the picture in the numbers. So far all of my predictions and assumptions based on such and similar calculation was proven after the release of certain products and multiple users reviews.

So what is your calc for the rift?

The HP unit is top of my list right now.

The HP unit is top of my list right now.

Yeah it is looking pretty sweet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah it is looking pretty sweet.

My guesses for this years VR...

HP 2160x2160 114deg fov (this is close to the ref spec produced by Qualcomm, and many manufactures will copy it)

VIVE cosmos (2160x2160 most likely 100-120deg FOV

Rift-S, anyone's guess, my best guess is it will be cheaper than many other units but 1600x1440 display but I hope I'm wrong. It does look alot like the HP set so maybe there is hope.

Samsung... Heard nothing, but the O+ is like 250 bucks right now and its pretty recent.

HTC... Supposedly coming out with something, probably pretty close to the qualcomm spec.

Now I have little doubt many titles will be able to run 2160x2160, but given what Dog DCS is in VR...

What do You think about performance of 2160x2160? The same as Pimax 5k+, better, worse? Anticipations for sure.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Harlikwin, it’s not as big a dog as you think, an upgrade to a 1080ti minimum over the 980 you show in your signature will give you quite an improvement straight away. I went from the 1080 to a 1080ti and saw a good deal of improvement. I don’t want that to sound snarky, my step-son built a 980ti SLI rig and the next year I bought the 1080 and it beat his SLI bench marks by two fold. The only reason I haven’t jumped to try the 2080ti is the meager 30-35% increase in performance as we don’t get the benefit of the newer feature set in DCS, yet - fingers crossed.

My guesses for this years VR...

HP 2160x2160 114deg fov (this is close to the ref spec produced by Qualcomm, and many manufactures will copy it)

VIVE cosmos (2160x2160 most likely 100-120deg FOV

Rift-S, anyone's guess, my best guess is it will be cheaper than many other units but 1600x1440 display but I hope I'm wrong. It does look alot like the HP set so maybe there is hope.

Samsung... Heard nothing, but the O+ is like 250 bucks right now and its pretty recent.

HTC... Supposedly coming out with something, probably pretty close to the qualcomm spec.

Now I have little doubt many titles will be able to run 2160x2160, but given what Dog DCS is in VR...

Edited by Fusedspine33

So what is your calc for the rift?

That is with same condition as other HMD. Vive havethe same, 11 and it is pretty much close to the Oculus claim for 13 which I think is little exaggerated.

Edited by wormeaten

So what are your views on the new HP Reverb? It looks good to me, the casual browser.

2160 x 2160 and 114 degree FoV

Take this 114° with grain of salt. It is 114° diagonal which is less than 110° horizontal.

The same trick to deception is used by Pimax where they claim 200° FOV diagonal what in the end was 170° horizontal.

So this 114° could be trick to look better when in reality it isn't.

And now some new rumors about Rift S.

Edited: Rift S is starting at 5:05. I put it in the link but on this forum this not working as should be so you need to jump manually.

For new HP news just start a video from the beginning.

Edited by wormeaten

:D Yep for $ 300,00 a great upgrade. And not $ 1400,00 for a HTC Vive pro kit. Savings: $ 1100 for a big upgrade AMD Ryzen 3700X, 32 GB DDR4, New Motherboard. :D Well a Megadeal! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Rift S Announced!

Spring 2019.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/

$ 399.00

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Rift S Announced!

Spring 2019.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/

$ 399.00

cool, thanks!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Don B

This looks interesting my cv1 has been awesome - doesn't more pixels mean harder contact spotting though?

It will mean everything looks better. And why the HP set is the one I'm currently most excited about since its:

a) has the highest pixel density (20's) of any headset (current stuff is in the low to high teens)

b) Its gonna be 600 bucks

c) It uses WMR software which works with DCS.

Some reading on the subject with some pictures of where we are at and where we are going...

https://www.roadtovr.com/understanding-pixel-density-retinal-resolution-and-why-its-important-for-vr-and-ar-headsets/

https://www.toptal.com/designers/ui/the-industry-could-do-without-pixel-density-and-ppi-marketing

Official Rift S site:

https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/

Well thats super interesting... Litereally the same minimum specs as the current rift... That doesn't bode well for increased res..