Wings snap at low g's

BlackPixxel

@BIGNEWY

Could you check again with the Dev-Team? From your response it seems like they misunderstood the issue.

The issue is NOT that at high speed the oscillations etc. can cause failure.

The issue is that at high speeds the G-limiter in the Su-33 is no longer working and happily allows for the overload to exceed the structural limits (in my video in yesterdays post, the overload goes above the range of the instrument, which means more than 10 G!).

If possible, change the thread title to "G-Limiter not working at high speeds" to prevent confusion. The current title is wrong.

Edited by BlackPixxel

• ED Team
1 hour ago, BlackPixxel said:

@BIGNEWY

Could you check again with the Dev-Team? From your response it seems like they misunderstood the issue.

The issue is NOT that at high speed the oscillations etc. can cause failure.

The issue is that at high speeds the G-limiter in the Su-33 is no longer working and happily allows for the overload to exceed the structural limits (in my video in yesterdays post, the overload goes above the range of the instrument, which means more than 10 G!).

If possible, change the thread title to "G-Limiter not working at high speeds" to prevent confusion. The current title is wrong.

They understand the problem, I have a full report on it. I will ask for an update on progress and try and get an ETA on the fix.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

Pilot error. Plain and simple. Exactly how many G does the Su33 need to take before something breaks? In the real world they (Su30) already have issues with structural cracks. As far as limiters go, the F16Ns were retired because the adversary pilots cracked the wing spars. That was a doomed maneuver in the video. There is more to flying than just hauling back on the stick with the throttle open. You can break any airplane. At 1600kph you should not be yanking the stick.

This aircraft has a G-limiter. And at high speeds it fails to work in DCS. It suddenly allows for 10+ G. The G-limiter of the S-27 on the other hand works at high speed.

It is a programming issue in the game. A bug. Plain and simple.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:58 PM, Zeagle said:
Pilot error. Plain and simple. Exactly how many G does the Su33 need to take before something breaks? In the real world they (Su30) already have issues with structural cracks. As far as limiters go, the F16Ns were retired because the adversary pilots cracked the wing spars. That was a doomed maneuver in the video. There is more to flying than just hauling back on the stick with the throttle open. You can break any airplane. At 1600kph you should not be yanking the stick.

Funny but, you're comparing cracks and retired airframes with many flown hours, vs an insta failure due to game bug....

Or maybe you're trying to say, ED has modelled age related wear and tear and corrosion on the 33s? LOL

Did you know that actual 33s have reinforced wings due to heavier loading? What we have in DCS is a prototype Su-27K... this is straight from a rl Russian pilot who flew flankers. Unfortunately line 33s are top secret stuff... But I would assume they have a much stronger airframe and can withstand more Gs.

Anyway, Zeagle, clearly you don't fly the flankers enough to understand the issue.

@ED when will this be fixed?

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

No I am saying your pilot doesn't know how to fly. Limiters are mechanical devices. I am sure you can pull the wings off anything if you try hard enough. Anyway, I don't care, you guys can have whatever limiters you want in game. I was just relating to real world flying. No pilot would have made that maneuver on purpose.

Edited by Zeagle

8 minutes ago, Zeagle said:

No I am saying your pilot doesn't know how to fly. Limiters are mechanical devices. I am sure you can pull the wings off anything if you try hard enough. Anyway, I don't care, you guys can have whatever limiters you want in game. I was just relating to real world flying. No pilot would have made that maneuver on purpose.

You do realize that was an intentional test to showcase the bug, right? 😅

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

8 hours ago, Zeagle said:

No pilot would have made that maneuver on purpose.

Doesn't matter. If there is a device that should prevent this - it should work. The test is just there to prove it doesn't.

Or you want to tell me you never did anything stupid in DCS just because you can? One of the benefits of simulation is pushing the envelope and do risky stuff that no RL pilot would. There's no point to remind that.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 5/26/2021 at 5:08 PM, Zeagle said:

Yeah that device is the pilot.

Do you understand what a G-limiter does?

Why would the G-limiter work properly at all speeds in the Su-27, but in the Su-33 (with upgraded FBW) it would not work at all speeds?

It is a bug.

• 1 year later...
  • ED Team

Hi all, 

thank you for your patience with this bug, 

I am pleased to announce I have today tested a fix for the Su-33 G limiter and results look good. 

We should see the fix in public builds soon. 

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Wings snap at low g's
13 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

thank you for your patience with this bug, 

I am pleased to announce I have today tested a fix for the Su-33 G limiter and results look good. 

We should see the fix in public builds soon. 

Great news!

• Like 2

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.