How do you fire the AIM 54?

SmokeFan

You need Jester to lock a target, either in STT mode or in TWS mode. Alternatively you can flip the ACM switch and fire them blind, but be aware that they will go for the first thing they see and if they can't see anything within their radar cone they will be trashed.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

A track would help.

Short description

• Missile Prep,

• A/A Mode

• Select (PH),

• Lock

• Fire (hold trigger until missile leaves the rail).

Long Description

TWS

• Manoeuvre so Jester has targets ahead on the TID

• Watch as Jester ID's the unkowns and HAFU's change

(AWG-9 prioritises them, Jester makes mistakes and gives v.little verbal feedback)

• Keep the targets in the TID radar cone

(Use the TID 20NM dashed lines to judge distance)

• At desired range ... Fire (hold trigger until missile leaves the rail)

• Fire again, against 2nd, etc. priority target(s) as req'ed.

• Continue supporting the missile(s) by keeping the target(s) in the TID radar cone until the AIM-54 is active or misses.

Note: PK is low vs fighters.

ACM Modes

• Use TID for SA and to merge to 10-15 NM

• If Jester cannot STT lock, use PAL to acquire/lock target (Target Designate Switch - Fwd, page 24)

• At desired range/position ... Fire (hold trigger until missile leaves the rail)

• Support missile as req'ed

• Switch to alt. ACM modes/weapons as req'ed or 'reset' before engaging again, etc.

AIM-54 and Jester TWS

ACM - Radar Acquisition Modes

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I beg to differ on this little bit. The Phoenix is quite deadly when employed correctly, even against small fighters like the F5. I've already had very good success rates with it both in Multiplayer and Singleplayer.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You need Jester to lock a target, either in STT mode or in TWS mode. Alternatively you can flip the ACM switch and fire them blind, but be aware that they will go for the first thing they see and if they can't see anything within their radar cone they will be trashed.

A track would help.

Short description

• Missile Prep,

• A/A Mode

• Select (PH),

• Lock

• Fire (hold trigger until missile leaves the rail).

Long Description

TWS

• Manoeuvre so Jester has targets ahead on the TID

• Watch as Jester ID's the unkowns and HAFU's change

(AWG-9 prioritises them, Jester makes mistakes and gives v.little verbal feedback)

• Keep the targets in the TID radar cone

(Use the TID 20NM dashed lines to judge distance)

• At desired range ... Fire (hold trigger until missile leaves the rail)

• Fire again, against 2nd, etc. priority target(s) as req'ed.

• Continue supporting the missile(s) by keeping the target(s) in the TID radar cone until the AIM-54 is active or misses.

ACM Modes

• Use TID for SA and to merge to 10-15 NM

• If Jester cannot STT lock, use PAL to acquire/lock target (Target Designate Switch - Fwd, page 24)

• At desired range/position ... Fire (hold trigger until missile leaves the rail)

• Support missile as req'ed

• Switch to alt. ACM modes/weapons as req'ed or 'reset' before engaging again, etc.

AIM-54 and Jester TWS

ACM - Radar Acquisition Modes

Wait until the Hot Trigger light on the master arm panel is illuminated and then hold down the trigger, missile will leave the rail after about a 1-2 second delay

Thanks guys

So I locked up a target, with PAL, Target desk forward and fired my Phoenix but the missile just went str8. Didn't shoot down the mig or nothing.

Also Jester will not lock up targets. Everytime I ask him to STT target ahead...he says unable, or no can do?

Edited by SmokeFan

So I locked up a target, with PAL, Target desk forward and fired my Phoenix but the missile just went str8. Didn't shoot down the mig or nothing.

Please post a track, otherwise we're just guessing.

Target Designation Switch forward in A/A mode, enters PAL (Pilot Auto Lock-on), pressing forward a second time deselects PAL, so drops lock.

Also Jester will not lock up targets. Everytime I ask him to STT target ahead...he says unable, or no can do?

Same, I see a target(s) on TID but he either can't STT lock or loses lock quickly, hence why I've been using TWS at range or switched to the ACM radar modes.

I'm still learning and YMMV

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080