Velocity Vector wrong?

Rhinozherous

Hello!

Is anyone else having a bit of a problem with the VV? When in landing mode the VV is always deviated onto the left or right side of the hud as if there is crosswind, but I had no winds in some Training missions.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Hello!

Is anyone else having a bit of a problem with the VV? When in landing mode the VV is always deviated onto the left or right side of the hud as if there is crosswind, but I had no winds in some Training missions.

Also noticed that, and sometimes the HUD and VDI pitch ladder with roll misalignment... usually after pulling to many (insane) G's.

Don't know if it's related or not with the deviated VV (fligh path marker).

edit

If the above stuff is related to a system damage malfunction (by excessive G's), then it's correct.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I've had the same thing happen to me a few times. Usually, a little bit of pedal input will bring it back to center. Guess I got spoiled by the the Hornet's FBW...

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

It is possible to overG the INS which would cause it to accumulate a lot of extra error. Also things like repeatedly taking off and landing could do it, I remember during the livestream HB talked about how one of them had an INS failure on takeoff because of how bumpy it is. Any of these could definitely cause the VV to be incorrect

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

The F14 has a mechanical gyro that drifts and precesses, backed up by an AHRS, with the data displayed on a HUD that updates slowly. This is modeled in the sim, and frankly, works a little better than in the aircraft and probably needs to be de-tuned.

There is a reason I keep recommending that you not use the HUD for landing.

Viewpoints are my own.

The F14 has a mechanical gyro that drifts and precesses, backed up by an AHRS, with the data displayed on a HUD that updates slowly. This is modeled in the sim, and frankly, works a little better than in the aircraft and probably needs to be de-tuned.

There is a reason I keep recommending that you not use the HUD for landing.

But But But my Head is so much enslaved by the hornet, i simply cant without. :helpsmilie::lol:

Funfact, i give a friend who is new to DCS and Tomcat, a little ride as my RIO. Cause he know nothing (jon snow), i just made pilot startup and fly without alignment. After approaching carrier with tacan and go into landing pattern, i switch to landing HUD and see.... no velocity vector or other usefull HUD information. :megalol:

It takes 4 Bolters but the 5. try was a 4-wire.

But But But my Head is so much enslaved by the hornet, i simply cant without. :helpsmilie::lol:

Funfact, i give a friend who is new to DCS and Tomcat, a little ride as my RIO. Cause he know nothing (jon snow), i just made pilot startup and fly without alignment. After approaching carrier with tacan and go into landing pattern, i switch to landing HUD and see.... no velocity vector or other usefull HUD information. :megalol:

It takes 4 Bolters but the 5. try was a 4-wire.

Yup, thats because you didn't do an alignment.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I was also worried by the ladder and the VV (watch the takeoff run) until I saw this video and later heard the Fighter Pilot podcast episode on the F-14:

Now every time someone says "backup" in front of "attitude indicator" for the small cockpit instument, I can't help but smile, because I would never trust that so called HUD with my life in IMC conditions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was also worried by the ladder and the VV (watch the takeoff run) until I saw this video and later heard the Fighter Pilot podcast episode on the F-14:

Now every time someone says "backup" in front of "attitude indicator" for the small cockpit instument, I can't help but smile, because I would never trust that so called HUD with my life in IMC conditions.

exactly, in IMC, my face is glued to the dash. :thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Notice he is flying in Landing Mode. Look at the update rate and the VSI and VV jumping and jittering. The E bracket movement is coarse and sluggish.

The pitch rates are phenomenal. Gets the nose vertical starting with a 150 KIAS entry with the gear and flaps down. "Piece of Cake."

Constantly checking fuel. Sharp crew, obviously.

Notice where the HUD pitch bar and aircraft symbol are when they are on the ground.

• Like 1

Viewpoints are my own.

I'm surprised just how jittery even the VVI is. It's one instrument that I find really helpful in the Sim. Guess I'll just turn off the HUD completely for max realism...

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• 1 year later...

I'm mostly pointificating, but so far it seems if you pull much more than 6g in the cat, the hud goes all wonky.

I always stay under 5g myself...

Ummm, not really, to this point I don't think I have had a landing where the HUD wasn't bent six ways from sundays when coming in for a landing.

I'm sure the mechanics love me..

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I'm mostly pointificating, but so far it seems if you pull much more than 6g in the cat, the hud goes all wonky.

I always stay under 5g myself...

Ummm, not really, to this point I don't think I have had a landing where the HUD wasn't bent six ways from sundays when coming in for a landing.

I'm sure the mechanics love me..

The Tomcat is a bit of a snake like that: she will totally invite you to mishandle her, but god forbid you do, she will punish you severely right away. :-)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

You must have missed ED's understanding of "backup ADI"s in most of their modules, particularly the Ka-50 and A-10. Those are useless after just like 3 minutes in. The Tomcat HUD is a wealth of information compared to that even after the IMU getting slightly cracked.

As for the video, I'm just wondering what "devices" are. Heard phrased like "devices are in" several times and have no clue what they're referring to. Could those be the spoilers? I mean, they could just have called them "things" right away... rdlaught.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

As for the video, I'm just wondering what "devices" are. Heard phrased like "devices are in" several times and have no clue what they're referring to. Could those be the spoilers? I mean, they could just have called them "things" right away...

High lift devices. That is the generic name for flaps & slats in aviation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Tomcat is a bit of a snake like that: she will totally invite you to mishandle her, but god forbid you do, she will punish you severely right away. :-)

Nah, when the instruments starts going wonky I just start ignoring them :pilotfly:

Landing is mostly under the mentality of "Git-er-down".:joystick:

If this wasn't a sim, and RL, I'm sure I would fly nicer, not so much out of my own hubris. but I'm sure the mechanical crew would break out the pilot adjustment tool.

angry-mechanic-picture-id174663065

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.