Officially building new PC! I need advice!

Intell is the way to go ... I was a die hard AMD fanboi for a long time until the release of the new generation of Intell processors entered the market... I'm afraid that AMD has lost it to Intell at this point in time... and I'm not so sure that AMD will ever catch up to the competition....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That AMD X2 6000+ system would be awesome fast (compared to your laptop) and a bargin too.

It would NOT be a mistake to jump on that system if you want a fast gaming PC for the next couple years NOW!

If you can wait till Christmas - Santa might have some awesome new goodies in his bag. (He usually does)

Remember the days you'd pay $1031 (June 06') for a 2.8Ghz FX-62? You can get one now for $200.

Both AMD (X2 6000+ $170) and Intel (E6850 $310) have a top 3.0Ghz dual core for the desktop market.

(There is also the AMD FX-74 QuadFather @ 3.0Ghz $310 but it's a strange duck. For the next few months anyway

Intel is the only real Quad choice around without going into the Opteron dual CPU workstation option)

Today AMD's top dual core CPU sells for $170 and Intel's top desktop dual core CPU goes for $310.

(I'm leaving out the top end Intel CPUs that cost $500+ mainly the Core2 Quads for the moment).

Why is AMD's top CPU (X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz) selling for $170 which is about the same price ($180) as the C2D Conroe E6550 (2.33Ghz)?

It's because AMD has dropped its prices to compete with Intel (which has been turning the screws on AMD big time).

Leaving clock speed aside, dollar for dollar, AMD is matching Intel in performance.

So on average the X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz $170 performs very close to the E6550 2.33Ghz $180.

I need more people tell me how Intel is better before i can deside to go with them.

Use the CPU Charts over at Tom's Hardware website to compare CPUs in about 35 different benchmarks.

Notice where the other AMD (green) and Intel (blue) CPUs end up also.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=921&model2=874&chart=435

Right now AMD is, price vs performance, competitive with Intel in dual core CPUs.

AMD (and Intel too for that matter) are a real performance bargin for those that

just want a fast PC without doing any overclocking.

OK, if that's the case why does everyone think and talk like VMFA-Blaze

"I'm afraid that AMD has lost it to Intell at this point in time."

IMO thats not strictly true. But AMD is being pushed HARD to stay competitive.

It's time to talk about overclocking, and its probably the reason VMFA-Blaze, and a lot of other gamers,

buy into Intel's "dominance".

Roughly speaking you can overclock the AMDs a little (10-15%) and C2Ds a LOT (25-40+%).

The older AMD X2s (think Toledo core) overclock better (percentage wise) than the newer Windsor core.

But if you take a budget CPU from AMD and Intel and overclock both to 3.0ghz you're still

going to have that X2 6000+ vs C2D E6850 performance gap. And only the C2Ds can overclock into the 3.6-4.0Ghz

without having to resort to extreme measures.

Whats out there in the near future for hard core gamers?

CPUs: Intel Wolfdale (Penryn) 45nm Quad vs AMD Phenom (Barcelona) 65mn Quad

Motherboards: Intel X38 (Bearlake) vs AMDs AM2+ (Stars)

Video Cards: nVidia G90 vs AMD RD7xx

VMFA-Blaze also said "and I'm not so sure that AMD will ever catch up to the competition".

I think it's safe to say at this point that it doesnt look like AMD will jump back into the performance lead going into 2008.

Intel is simply quite a bit faster right now.. it's that simple. Also don't bother with buying E6850... better buy E6600 which is cheaper and this E6850 is just a marketing scam because E6850 is nothing but E6600 with raised FSB.

E6600 is 266FSB x9 multiplier

E6850 is 333FSB x9 multiplier

Notice anything here? What you should notice is that if you overclock E6600 and raise it's FSB to 333 you get E6850... makes sense?

So basically E6850 is nothing but overclocked E6600, which you can do yourself anyway by raising the FSB on the motherboard...

I notice you don't do any PC upgrades for a few years, instead you buy a system and keep it untill you buy next one few years later. I understand you had good experience with AMD over Intel so far, and yes you are right that they were faster in gaming... but what you are wrong is to assum this is still the case. Intel is much faster for gaming right now so if you want a really good system you should go Intel CPU and not AMD.

Also your assumption that Intel CPU (hardware) is not very good or compatible with AMD video cards is just not on... if you had some issues before with sound card I can tell you straight away that had nothing to do with Intel CPU's... what it could be is sound card drivers having issues with motherboard chipset drivers... or OS... but definitely nothing to do with CPU.

Listen to advices people give here, there are quite a few people that'll guide you in the right direction and if so many tell you Intel is better you should take note of that. If you are still nto sure do a bit more reading on current hardware it can only be helpful to you.

Information is the real power ;)

No longer active in DCS...

The same can be said about the Q6600

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Wow point taken i will buy intel! Im not joking eighter. I cant respond very much because half of the keyboard is missing. Rec center here in Iraq is poorly supported by kbr Rep. civilian contractors......ahhhhhhhh sorry this very annoying...im using on screen keyboard taking way to long to type!!

|Windows 8 64bit|I7-950| |X58Mobo| |1T HDD| |18gigs PC3-16000 TC 2000mhz||Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Graphics||Cougar HOTAS-CHPedals/TIR5ProClip|

Intel is simply quite a bit faster right now.. it's that simple. Also don't bother with buying E6850... better buy E6600 which is cheaper and this E6850 is just a marketing scam because E6850 is nothing but E6600 with raised FSB.

Kuky it does make sence... alot too thank you. Okay since i agree in buying Intel so whats the recommendation on graphics card and mother board. Both, i want the lastest if possible.

|Windows 8 64bit|I7-950| |X58Mobo| |1T HDD| |18gigs PC3-16000 TC 2000mhz||Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Graphics||Cougar HOTAS-CHPedals/TIR5ProClip|

The most important question is when are you giving your old PC to your parents?... Penryn and Barcelona loom

I will return in September and then i will take 14 days of leave to see my parents. I will give them the computer then. I am going to start ordering parts in few weeks and that for sure too!

Oh BTW I found another source of internet but i have to pay! About the Rec Center here for some reason they dont support in giving new equipment and they wont let us use our laptops on there broadband. Last year it was different. Guys i dont want to be B*tchy on here and im sorry if i sound that way!

Hey Fudd what does Penryn and Barcelona mean?

Since you have the money now maybe the question is - how soon do you want the new system? OK-Ordering in about a month, thats good to know.

You have the budget you need to both get a very good system now and upgrade later.

Brand loyalty is OK too. Yes, Intel is doing better at the moment but its not a "bad" idea to stick with AMD.

-> There is no reason not to look at both an AMD and Intel options.

If you want quad core now the only option is Intel.

Barcelona are the new 65nm sized CPUs. Penryn are the 45nm sized CPUs.

Both AMD and Intel are releasing the new Barcelona/Penryn CPUs this fall both will release the server Opteron/Xeon models (rumor is Intel will drop the Extreme Edition Penryn desktop CPU at the same time) first.

There will also be desktop CPUs based on Barcelona and Penryn.

It will be into 2008 before the desktop AMD Phenom X4(quad) X2(dual) and Intel Yorkfield (quad) / Wolfdale (dual) are available for sale.

Motherboards that support the Phenom X4/X2 and Yorkie/Wolfie are available now.

AM2+ Biostar TF560 A2+

P35 boards from ASUS, Gigabyte and others

CPUs that can carry you over to till its time to upgrade to Phenom X4/Yorkfield

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz @ about $70 overclocks into the 2.8-3-0 range.

Intel Dual-Core E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz @ about $95 overclocks into the 2.6-2.8 range.

Even without heavy overclocking both CPUs will run LockOn (and anything else great).

What about video cards? Do you have to wait for the 9800GTX and RD7xx?

You could get a mid-range GPU now and upgrade when you're not happy with the performance any more. For around $250 you can get a 8800GTS 320 that will have you gaming now. The ATI 2900HD would run you at least $100 more.

You have the budget you need to both get a great system now and upgrade later.

Would you be happy with the budget CPUs now and the Quad cores in say 5-6 months? Or do you want a Quad now?

Are you OK with overclocking?

Im okay with getting a quad now. I never tryied to overclock because its dangerous and make the processor overheat. This is what i heard though so i cant take any chances unless i know 100% what i am doing.

I do plan to upgrade, only the graphics card and ram. Those two are the only thing i really care about. Processor i want to spend as much as i can into and get it out of my mind of trying to upgrade CPU when the new ones come out.

Also don't bother with buying E6850... better buy E6600 which is cheaper and this E6850 is just a marketing scam because E6850 is nothing but E6600 with raised FSB.

Notice anything here? What you should notice is that if you overclock E6600 and raise it's FSB to 333 you get E6850... makes sense?

So basically E6850 is nothing but overclocked E6600, which you can do yourself anyway by raising the FSB on the motherboard...

AFAIK the 6850 has lower voltage so overclocks better and much cooler than the 6600.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Also your assumption that Intel CPU (hardware) is not very good or compatible with AMD video cards is just not on... if you had some issues before with sound card I can tell you straight away that had nothing to do with Intel CPU's... what it could be is sound card drivers having issues with motherboard chipset drivers... or OS... but definitely nothing to do with CPU.

Listen to advices people give here, there are quite a few people that'll guide you in the right direction and if so many tell you Intel is better you should take note of that. If you are still nto sure do a bit more reading on current hardware it can only be helpful to you.

Information is the real power ;)

I agree with you 100% about the advice that people give me and i will take it. Yes i did have alot of issues of having my sound card crap on my games when it runs it for a while. I upgrade to Vista a month ago and had all of my updates done but one thing failed my my graphics card upgrading drivers to 7.7 or higher because this stupid installer installs.

OH BTW i spent 10 bucks on drivers for my notebook SB ZS card, which is crap i dont understand why they charge me for drivers to take full effect!

I had trouble updating my chipset drivers and i tried everything from intel website. Sagernotebook support dint have vista chipset drivers so i ran out of luck there. But anyways this laptop is my parents so i dont really care what happenes to it now.

firstly if you are a gamer , leave vista alone until they improve its compatibility etc

stick with winxp for gaming - thats not my advice , but from most forums , most gamers and most pc gaming magazines - vista yes one day , when they fix it etc , but not yet !

What's the problem with Vista? It runs all of my games fine for me.

here is the new pc i have just purchsed for uk pounds 1100 - spec below

ASUS P5N-E SLI

nvidia 8800gtx 768 mb 3d card

E6850+3GHZ

4GB CORSAIR XMS2

2X 250GB SATA 2

SoundBlaster Audigy

THERMALTAKE SOPRANO CASE (BLACK)

DVDR+RW LIGHTSCRIBE DVD DRIVE

700W PSU(You really do need a high quality PSU For 8800gtx and e6850!)And 8 USB ports+Ethernet

XP Home SP2 WITH DISK

its coming to me next week - i play games , do 3dmax , do video editing to make dvds of my toddler , record music - electronic drums and make mp3s , as well as all the usual stuff ,like web , burn dvds etc etc

my pc i am on now is 6 years old - its an athlon 1900+ - so 1.6 ghz - has 640 ram , and has an old soundblaster card , dvd burner - 2 hds totalling 100gb and an old nvidia geforce 4 ti 4200 128mc 3d card

this AMD pc has been brilliant - but i have about 40 pc games here i can't play , and this pc is now throwing errors and lockups - so its time to upgrade , hence my new purchase below ) this machine has been very well used and pushed to its limits , and has never let me down - and as far as i a concerned AMD did and still does rock !

but on doing alot of research over months and months - intel currently rock a bit more with the core 2 duo chips - hence i opted for the e6850 at 3 ghz - i never have and never will overclock - so i wanted a genuine factory speed 3ghz cpu

over years i have had intel dx 33 dx2-66 cpu , amd 500 1333 and 1900+ cpu's - they have all rocked -

and intel / amd competition is healthy for us as gamers / customers -

i have always had soundblaster sound cards for gaming - never had any major problems - note new motherboards now have soundcards built in - but i still opt for a soundblaster card in my new pc - a basic card for gaming that does 7.1 audio etc

so in conclusion , don't be an amd / intel fan boy , be savvy , do research on price / performance etc , and make right decision for you

i know i have chosen the right new pc for me - the e6850 intel at 3ghz not overclocked - and i know and hope it will last me a good few years , like the amd 1900 did - if in the future , next time i buy a pc, amd are back at the top - i will happily go back and buy amd cpu , but right now intel are in the lead at this purchase time

i hope this info / insight proves helpful

Roger :-)

I don't want to debate vista - but even uk pc gaming magazines advise not to upgrade to vista yet !

i read alot of pc gaming forums etc , and for me thats good enough along with what i read , make your own mind up - i won't touch it yet - nor will many others !

if its good for you cool ) but i do my research , and make my own mind up - suggest all do the same )

Yeah vista does has its issues but it seems to making progress though.

Okay heres some more questions.

If am understanding correctly intel motherboards can support AMD Processors vise versa?

Which graphics card to go for now? ATI or Invidia. Im interested in Crossfire or SLI capability!

it doesn't matter what graphics card you chose... both nVidia and ATI work with both Intel and AMD CPU's. For Intel CPU's I think i975 is best but you can chose motherboard with i965 or nForce nf-650i or nf-680i chipset

No longer active in DCS...

well Nvidia is in the lead right now , in terms of 3d card horsepower - i have never had a ati 3d card , always had the 3dfx cards , then went to nvidia

you can get an 8800 gts nvidia in 2 flavours - 320 mb and 640 mb - but the current top beast is the 8800 gtx with 768 mb on board - it has all the pipelines intact - and should last you a good few years when proper dx10 games come out - also it will eat crysis and other titles !

all the reviews of the 8800 gtx say you can turn up all the details on your games to max - run 16 times aa and af settings - run in rezs like 1600 + , and the card and games keep going and giving - it is an awesome card !

check youtube for videos of guys demoing games on these cards

you could get 2 and run sli wtf ? - but you need to make sure your new pc case has the appropriate psu - power supply unit to run the card - i think 580 watts for 1 card alone - my pc builder is putting in a 700 jeantech silent psu to run both the 8800 gtx and the intel e6850 3ghz - so its important to build and power for the hardware you choose

in terms of price on the 8800 320 / 640 / and 768 versions - there is not a great difference in price - if you intend like me to keep your new pc for quite a good few years and want to keep gaming - go for the 768 mb , you won't be disapointed

i recomend read alot of web reviews on the 8800 gtx

generally speaking right now intel and nvidia are top - tech wise / price wise and speed wise - where as ati and amd , are bringing up the rear - maybe in a few years the positions will be reversed , but right now Intel and nvidia are at the forefront

man i hate to say intel are top , becoz amd has done so much to bring down prices and stuff over the years , and the competition etc - i was so pleased 6 years ago to buy amd again for my 1900+ , as i was so pleased to be not giving even more money to intel to make them more dominant !

unfortunately 2 days ago - i bought the intel e6850 cpu - mentally it hurt a bit - but the tech truth is ,right now the intel core 2 duo is the best buy / tech chip for my needs etc

anyway hope this helps )

make sure you read some good online reviews on both the nvidia and ati cards on offer now , and make up your own mind - and visit youtube to check out vids of the games and 3d cards running )

Roger )

My decision now is

Intel 6800 (or higher maybe) quad core, i dont know about the motherboard, and im going with 8800gtx.

Now Im going to look for a good upgradable MOBO, power supply, case, and advanced cooling system. Ram im just going to buy one stick of the 3gb corsair for 300 bucks because that sounds awsome and will keep me happy for a year or more.

Thank you guys for all the support ill be looking around still but right now im really busy in trying to work and getting ready to move out of Iraq.

Asus Striker extreme is a good bd. to use with the e6800.. It has the Nvidia 680i chip set... This allows you to run SLI and has all of the bells and whistles..

Or a less expensive model, like I have is the Asus P5N32-E SLI, This also has the 680i chip and has the the Nvidia Bios as well...

There was a problem with both of these boards when they were first released at the beginning of the year.. I had one but couldn't get it to install properly so I RMA'd it back to M'Wave... I then bought a Commando.. This board installed with some very minor issues, but I wasn't SLI compatible... I could run my BFG 8800 GTS with out any problem but I just couldn't run SLI as this board was actually designed for crossfire (PCI-E).. So I was planning on going with a crossfire set up but when the reviews finally were released for the ATI DX10 cards weren't that favorable...

Well I just went and sold the commando on e-bay and bought another P5N-32-E SLI ..

Asus has done some modifications to this board since its release so I only had only some small issues when reinstalling the Bd.. Its very stable now and I just recently added another 8800 GTS and installed SLI...

I'm happy now with this setup, so with a little trial and error I've finally gotten the system that I was looking for ....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Asus Striker extreme is a good bd. to use with the e6800.. It has the Nvidia 680i chip set... This allows you to run SLI and has all of the bells and whistles..

Hey my roomate is building a system so he got a computer magazine and it was shown on the magazine of the ASUS Striker which i already read about and realized that the best thing out right now. So i already decided to go with the striker because 400 bucks is really cheap for that kind of a board that has support up to 8gigs of ram.

So now i set my goal for the ASUS striker MOBO, 8800gtx Ultra graphics card (SLI compatible) my correction on the ram it is 2gigs not 3 for the corsair i mentioned in a post before. I talk with another friend here and he got him self a nice set up himself. Similar to mine but little bit not as powerful. He did have nicest cooling processor device that was huge looking inside the medium size tower. He told me that it was the best processor fan cooler out yet. So ill find out where he bought it and order it soon.

I am planning to start ordering parts in September 1st. Only the major ones like MOBO, CPU, Graphics card, all rest im going to research little more. Hey Blaze gas prices are a monster back at the US, so im going to be in the barracks alot playing games and this system is going to be decked out because of it. Also I wont be just playing games ill be studying hard even though its going to be very difficult for me. I got a huge truck, which i made it that way when i bought it, you can say its my sweet heart because it is!

Never will i own a car no matter what the gas price is. Safety is my main priority.

You should be able to get a Asus Striker Extreme for about $300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131074

Support for 8GBs or RAM is pretty much the standard. ALL gaming motherboards will support 8GB of RAM these days. You can find a $90 motherboard that supports 16GB of RAM - Asus P5NSLI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131032

(OK, the MB chipset supports 16GB but you can only fit 8GB on the board as built)

DD2RAM should be installed in pairs for best performance. Higher bandwidth & lower latency is good.

I'm getting the idea that you want a "brag box" instead of powerful computer at a good price. Is that right? Nothing wrong with that and you have the budget to go that route. If that's your intention let us know - it helps to make it easier for us to make suggestions for you.

If you're going for the top end CPUs you'll "pay to play".

(a) Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Kentsfield 3.0GHz 2 x 4MB L2

$1,400 or $466 per Ghz

(b) Core 2 Extreme QX6800 Kentsfield 2.93GHz 2 x 4MB L2

1,070 or $365 per Ghz

I know you're not keen on over clocking. But if you do get the QX6850 you'll need to know that there will be people out there with more powerful computers that spend a LOT less.

© Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2

$556 or $209 per Ghz

(d) Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2

$299 or $124 per Ghz

Q6700 2.66Ghz vs QX6850 3.0Ghz = $844 more expensive

Q6600 2.4Ghz vs QX6850 3.0Ghz = $1,101 more expensive

You'll see people buying the Q6600 and over clocking them above 3.0Ghz to around 3.45 Ghz.

-> Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz or 15% faster than the QX6850 for $1,101 less.

6600higherih6.jpg

Over clocking a modern motherboard and C2D or C2Q CPU isn't difficult. The motherboards are "smart" enough to help you do it easily.

Asus has the AI (Artificial Intelligence) Booster. Safe and easy to use.

asusaics3.jpg

You could easily over clock the Quad Q6700 to 3.0Ghz (QX6850 speed) and save $844.

With that savings you can easily afford to get a LCD Touch Screen (or two) for a TouchBuddy set up and still have some gas money left over.

11.jpg

Zorlac, WildBill Kelso and Ruggbutt are doing some pretty amazing things. Above pic is from Ruggbutt's Touchbuddy screenshots.

While you've been away the price of gas has dropped. Even here in California we're back down under $2.75 (from a high of $3.69). I think you'd still have a couple hundred left over to pay for gas to go crusing for chicks every now and then.

No one wants to tell you how to spend your money but I know everyone wants to see you get the most enjoyment out of your hard earned bucks.