Officially building new PC! I need advice!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Troffmeister;

I couldn't find the same AI Booster references in the P5N-E SLI manual as were in the Striker and 680i manuals. The only OC'ing reference I saw was that you could store multiple OC'ing profiles in the BIOS. I'd suggest looking around the ASUS forums to see if you can find out more info there.

Over clocking draws more power and creates more heat. If you were to overclock your CPU 20% to 3.6Ghz you'd draw about 90watts extra under load. Taken to extremes, yes it can shorten the life of the CPU or motherboard components. But with a good CPU cooler and decent case cooling you're only talking about shortening the component lifespan a small percentage. With a little care to avoid common system killers most systems have a life span over 10 years (thats physical life span - not useful lifespan).

On the other hand..... Google did turn up some Specs that make it look like ASUS P5N-E SLI has the AI booster.

http://www.hothardware.com/printarticle.aspx?articleid=944

Special Features

• ASUS EZ DIY (Q-Connector, CrashFree BIOS2, EZ Flash2)
  • Intelligent Overclocking Tools (AI NOS, AI Overclocking, ASUS AI Booster Utility, O.C Profile)
  • Overclocking Protection (ASUS C.P.R.)
  • ASUS Music Alarm
  • ASUS MyLogo3
  • ASUS Q-Fan 2
  • Uses 100% High-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors
  • GreenASUS - RoHS compliant
  • Silent Pipe Cooling

Thanks for the info - very interesting and helpful - i confess to being very scared to attempt to overclock , especially on a brand new machine !

We have all been there. Just be conservative in your first overclock (Don't go haywire on the voltage and the MHz). If there is anything that you are not sure of, post a question here. Good luck!

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

On the other hand..... Google did turn up some Specs that make it look like ASUS P5N-E SLI has the AI booster.

http://www.hothardware.com/printarticle.aspx?articleid=944

check out the Asus forums and you'll see that the P5N32-E SLI is actually the same board as the Striker, but without all of the extra lights and the external RAID connection...

And yes it does have the overclocking booster for windows... I'm not going to take the time out to check right now but I think the P5N-E has the detuned version 650i chip, so its somewhat less powerful then the P5N32-E SLI 680i ...

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I am having a difficulty deciding in which processor to get. The reason why is because of the price and overclocking thing. I do want the most expensive processor because that will have me not worrying about overclocking trying to boost my performance and ill just have it the same. It would be great to have a cheap processor and overclock it but something is wrong with that i have a bad feeling. I can care less you if you have better system than me and i could care less if i do have better than others. Its just i want not have to upgrade soo soon. Hey thanks for the info im looking over it when i get time everybody. Very nice info guyz:D

|Windows 8 64bit|I7-950| |X58Mobo| |1T HDD| |18gigs PC3-16000 TC 2000mhz||Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Graphics||Cougar HOTAS-CHPedals/TIR5ProClip|

well whatever cpu you get , a new faster one will come along too quickly , thats just pcs for you )

mentally for me upgrade wise ,i wanted to double my speed from my amd 1.6 ghz to a genuine 3ghz - hence i got the intel core 2 duo e6850 - its factory clocked at 3ghz and guaranteed etc - and the price is not stupidly high !

my advice would be core 2 duo at least 3ghz - the money you save now , could buy you a new cpu in say 2 or 3 years time , when god only knows what speed and cores new cpus will have , and also will allow software / games etc to catch up in terms of dx10 , fully exploiting the 8800 gtx 3d card - and maybe then new games will be written for dual cores or more - as the customer user base of these cpus increases - also by then probably vista will be more established with gamers .

Often the man who waits is the man who wins , if you can get great performance now at reasonable cost , grab it , and save your extra cash for the next big leap , a few years down the road )

Roger

Another question whats the significant about the e6850 for 300 bucks with same 1333mhz and the QX6850 same amount of BUS for 1199 bucks?

|Windows 8 64bit|I7-950| |X58Mobo| |1T HDD| |18gigs PC3-16000 TC 2000mhz||Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Graphics||Cougar HOTAS-CHPedals/TIR5ProClip|

Another question whats the significant about the e6850 for 300 bucks with same 1333mhz and the QX6850 same amount of BUS for 1199 bucks?

E6850 is a dual core processor, and QX6850 is a quad core processor. Also, QX6850 is an extreme series processor, meaning you can adjust the CPU multiplier up or down. Whereas, you can only adjust the CPU multiplier down with the E6850 processor.

The product of the CPU multiplier and the FSB gives you the operating frequency for the CPU. For example, the QX6850 has a CPU multiplier of 9 and a FSB of 333 MHz. 9 x 333 MHz = 3 GHz, which is the default frequency of the CPU. Without changing the FSB, you theoretically overclock by changing the multiplier. A multiplier of 10 gives you an 11% overclock to 3.33 GHz.

How far you can overclock a processor depends a lot on:

Experience

Quality of the motherboard, memory, and power supply

Cooling solution

Luck

I have seen people in xtremesystems forum who overclock the Q6600 and E6850 to beyond 4 Ghz, but these are very experienced overclockers who either have a liquid cooling setup or a phase change cooling setup.

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

The QX6850 is made for over OC'ing fanatics. It comes with an "unlocked multiplier" which can help to get higher over clocking results. How high you want to go depends on what you want to spend on exotic cooling (Peltier/Tec and water cooling for example) that can get you overclocks above 5Ghz. People that overclock PCs that way don't play games at the highest possible OC'd speed. They back it off a lot to use the PC on a daily basis.

With the more ordinary aftermarket air cooling that most people use they get something closing in on 4Ghz. But "your mileage may vary". In this Anandtech article "Bring it on, QX6850 Overclocking" the QX6850 they had didn't make it past 4Ghz. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3042&p=1

The E6850 can be over clocked too (which Kuky already pointed out was "kind of" an already overclocked E6600). With the right cooling, motherboard and RAM it won't be far behind the QX6850. Maybe within ~10% which probably means 3-5 FPS in games.

Thats a very good question. The easy answer is $900. The rest of the answer (for gaming) might be just a little bit faster gaming. For a game like Lock On the QX6800 and E6850 will run Lock On at just about the same FPS. As far as we know that should hold true for Black Shark as well. The same is true for any other games that dont support multi-threading on dual or quad CPUs.

Here is a game that does support multiple core CPUs.

new073tp0.jpg

So for this game the answer would be the $900 extra dollars gets you about four extra FPS in the game.

Here is a great article that compares all the top CPUs (AMD & Intel).

I think it will help you sort out the price vs performance questions of the 3.0Ghz E6850 and QX6850.

"Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850: Four Cores at Three Gigahertz"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2extreme-qx6850.html

icon.gif

The next you may want to ask:

What does the price difference between the Asus Striker Extreme $300 and Asus ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium $210 mean?

The answer should be - about 1-2 FPS in games.

Another good question to ask would be:

What is the best way to spend $3-4K over the next 2-3 years to get the best gaming performance over that time?

IMO the answer to that is to spend $2-2.5K now to get the best "bang for the buck" performance and in 18 months spend $1-1.5K to get an upgraded CPU and video card to drop into the system.

E6850 is a dual core processor, and QX6850 is a quad core processor. Also, QX6850 is an extreme series processor, meaning you can adjust the CPU multiplier up or down. Whereas, you can only adjust the CPU multiplier down with the E6850 processor.

The product of the CPU multiplier and the FSB gives you the operating frequency for the CPU. For example, the QX6850 has a CPU multiplier of 9 and a FSB of 333 MHz. 9 x 333 MHz = 3 GHz, which is the default frequency of the CPU. Without changing the FSB, you theoretically overclock by changing the multiplier. A multiplier of 10 gives you an 11% overclock to 3.33 GHz.

How far you can overclock a processor depends a lot on:

Experience

Quality of the motherboard, memory, and power supply

Cooling solution

Luck

I have seen people in xtremesystems forum who overclock the Q6600 and E6850 to beyond 4 Ghz, but these are very experienced overclockers who either have a liquid cooling setup or a phase change cooling setup.

Im not worried about the cooling and power supply and mother board because i will be going all out on that. Meaning i will buy the best in what its offered in order keep my system not going nuts on me.

Talking only processors is main priority here and i understand what you said Walternowi.

[/qoute]

The next you may want to ask:

What does the price difference between the Asus Striker Extreme $300 and Asus ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium $210 mean?[/qoute]

No its more like this: why build almost no performance difference with two different priceses. Are they trying to get people like me in buying a cool sounding "Striker" for 300 bucks? While theres a almost same board for less!

[/qoute]

What is the best way to spend $3-4K over the next 2-3 years to get the best gaming performance over that time?

IMO the answer to that is to spend $2-2.5K now to get the best "bang for the buck" performance and in 18 months spend $1-1.5K to get an upgraded CPU and video card to drop into the system.

Very good question and nice answer!

That Supreme Commander game I think is more GPU limited then CPU. 49.8fps for E6600 compared with 52.3fps for E6850 tells me the game is not CPU limited, at what ever resolution/settings it was benchmarked at. LockOn is mostly CPU limited so maybe only if you'd compare average values you might see that E6850 will give not much overhead over E6600... but the minimum framerate will be in linear relation to CPU performance (25% faster CPU will give 25% faster frame rate) but then again if you are getting 15fps over a city in LockOn with highest settings... 25% more is still not that much as you'd get maybe 19fps. 19 over 15 is still something but nothing to now go crazy about :D

If you don't want to spend huge amount ov money, you can either get E6600 and overclosk it to 3GHz or buy E6850 and have it at default speed... you get same thing. You'd still need same RAM as well same motherboard, PSU etc... no difference what so ever.

I'd say the only difference between the two is that Intel has most likely provided bit better cooling solution for E6850 compared to E6600, but that's about it. If you'd want to overclock bt more.. which you still can by raising the FSB beyond 333 in BIOS, you'd probably want to get better cooling solution anyway so you might as well do that with E6600.

I have my E6600 running at 3.1GHz 24/7 right now and it's been like this for about 2 months (had it as 3GHz since I bought it) and it's as good as it can be if you don't want to give your arm and a leg for unlocked multiplier CPU and extreme o/c :D

In near future there are always going to be new CPU's and unless they change the bloody socked again or something that would need you get new motherboard, you can just buy new CPU later on.

No longer active in DCS...

well i read 2 good web reviews last night , one was scary !

scary one was on toms hardware i think - a general do and don'ts about overclocking and the pros and cons and the risks involved - taking into account my wife , and what she would do to me if i overclocked and fried our new pc which is to arrive next week - i think i can say i am scared scared scared and scared again to even attempt to overclock , both from a financial point of view and also the prospect of my testicles ending up in the george foreman grill - lol

so i won't be overclocking my new rig period

the other article was a review of the intel e6850 core 2 duo - which basically said it was a sweet cpu - good cooling energy consumption etc - and it said its wicked fast on games and excellent for encoding videos etc -

i use my pc to encode from my sony dv handycam, avi format to dvd , and burn dvd disk footage of my toddler

- i have 8 hours of footage here to make into dvd - becoz my old pc is throwing errors and is no longer capable of doing video conversion - this was the catalyst to get this new pc purchase

anyway in conclusion - 1 i won't overclock - 2 i am even more happy in the purchase choice i made on reading that review - all i need now is for the new pc to arrive - so i can test / use it and hopefully be very happy with it - fingers crossed )

Roger

I have my E6600 running at 3.1GHz 24/7 right now

Push your limits a little bit Kuky :blow:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

Raised Dead... Start a Build list so people can give you advice based on what the PC will actually look like... You could even format it with this.

CPU

Mother board

Ram

GPU

Operating System

Discrete Sound Card

HSF

Monitor

Psu

Case

Hard Drive(s)

Optical Drive

Keyboard

Mouse

HSF Thermal Paste

Raised Dead... Start a Build list so people can give you advice based on what the PC will actually look like... You could even format it with this.

CPU

Mother board

Ram

GPU

Operating System

Discrete Sound Card

HSF

Monitor

Psu

Case

Hard Drive(s)

Optical Drive

Keyboard

Mouse

HSF Thermal Paste

CPU- qx6850 (20% probability of purchase, I need more time to think and research)

Motherboard- Striker ASUS

GPU- 8800gtx Ultra

Operating System- Home edition Vista ( I will upgrade to Ultimate)

Discrete Sound Card- X-Fi Fidelity SB

HSF ? whats is that?

Monitor- This is the one i got now-->

PSU- I have not had but little research on this!

Case- Still researching (looking for one that will fit water cooling system)

Hard Driver- Ony one raptor hardrive with 200 or less gigs with 10,000rpm

Optical Drive- I already have external DVD/CDROM all support for all formats

Keyboard- Zboard

Mouse- I got G5 logitec and im happy with it!

HSF Thermal paste- I need info in what that is!

I am so excited about this system and cant wait to build it. This is effecting me in not even using my laptop i got now. Its that bad.

Oh adding to my post up there

Monitor looks like this ----> http://www.gsaamerica.com/samsung_lcd/214t.htm

(Can i get some feed back on what you all think about this monitor?! :)

And the Ram is going to be Corsair 2gig

Ok cool.... this gives it a much better look

CPU- qx6850 (20% probability of purchase, I need more time to think and research)

If you aren't going to overclock then I guess go for this one... Penryn is set for Nov. 11th ... I think thats just beyond your buy date.

EDIT: Wow....1,100$ for a QX6850 ... If you have the time and inclination consider overclocking... You can do 5 hours of research and save yourself 800$ by getting a Q6600 GO stepping

------------------------

The Striker is a 965 Board... I would go P35... It's newer but not so new that there are crappy BIOSes... Typically better OC potential with Quad cores and thus its sort of a future proofing measure, granted you get into OCing

---------------------------

GPU- 8800gtx Ultra

Ultra or GTX? they are two different things... Ultra is over priced, and if all you're playing is LOMAC then a 8800gts makes more sense.

---------------------------

Operating System- Home edition Vista ( I will upgrade to Ultimate)

I haven't been down the Vista path yet... why get Home just to eventually go ultimate?

--------------------------

HSF ? whats is that?

HSF = Heat Sink and Fan .... No need to really obsess over a HSF if you arent OCing... but if you do OC... Its a must to have a good one.

PSU- I have not had but little research on this!

There are only a handful of places to trust, and this is because all the rest merely stick a digital multi meter in the end of some PSU leads and call it a day. One cannot fully test a PSU this way.

The good sites are JonnyGuru, HardOCP, PCPer, and more recently Anandtech

Here's a good and recently updated list... ignore Tier One, I know that sounds odd but these PSU's are overkill for your system and/or harder to find

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

I think an Enermax Infinity 720 looks good for you

Case- Still researching (looking for one that will fit water cooling system)

There are tons... but one does tend to fall in love with Cases with removable motherboard trays... Its all preference though

Hard Driver- Ony one raptor hardrive with 200 or less gigs with 10,000rpm

Still king if you're going to have one HD

-------------------------

HSF Thermal paste- The thermal paste you use between the heat sink and cpu... no big worry if you aren't overclocking

• Like 1

review of the intel e6850 core 2 duo - which basically said it was a sweet cpu -
A year ago a ~3Ghz C2D CPU (X6800@2.93Ghz) cost more than $1000. You're getting a slightly faster C2D now for about $320 or so. A year ago I got the E6400 (2.13Ghz) for $225 which would overclock easily 3Ghz. But I have had it running for over a year now @ E6700 (2.66Ghz) speeds with a FSB overclock from 266mhz to 333mhz for a 1333 effective FSB speed. I saved about $325 over the cost of a E6700 (about $550 then) which was just about the cost of a really nice 20" widescreen LCD.

If you were happy about the E6850 bang for the buck the Asus P5N E SLI is an even better bang for the buck choice. You save about $175 over the Asus Striker Extreme and lost almost no performance.

"So the Striker Extreme doesn't quite live up to our admittedly lofty expectations, but the P5N-E SLI more than exceeds what we typically ask from a

$120 motherboard. For the most part, the board is every bit as fast as the Striker. You also get a decent array of BIOS options and just enough onboard peripherals."

Read the full review P5N-E SLI and Striker Extreme @ http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/asus-6x0i-mobos/index.x?pg=1

Originally Posted by Raised_Dead85;

No its more like this: why build almost no performance difference with two different priceses. Are they trying to get people like me in buying a cool sounding "Striker" for 300 bucks? While theres a almost same board for less!

Well there are SOME difference between the P5N-E SLI board Troffmeister got and the Striker Extreme board you're looking at. The Striker has fancy blue LED and tiny LCD screens. It has a bigger copper heatsink and "more BIOS tweaking & overclocking options than any sane person could ever need". It does have a few extra SATA ports (6vs4), an extra e-SATA port (2vs1) and a slightly better audio chip. The SLI channels are x16 vs x8 for the P5N-E. And it does come with a free game and a keychain. Thats what you get for an extra $175. What you dont get is an extra $175 worth of performance. The $125 motherboard performs just about as well as the $300 bard.

chaostheory.gif

3dmark06-overall.gif

quake4.gif

And even in SLI rigs:

multigpu-3dmark06-sm3.gif

multigpu-quake4.gif

EDIT: Wow....1,100$ for a QX6850 ... If you have the time and inclination consider overclocking... You can do 5 hours of research and save yourself 800$ by getting a Q6600 GO stepping

I took about 2 mins to find it out by myself. It will do the same QX6850 clock easy. A good Cooling system is imperative though. Mines on air.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The Striker is a 965 Board... I would go P35... It's newer but not so new that there are crappy BIOSes... Typically better OC potential with Quad cores and thus its sort of a future proofing measure, granted you get into OCing

Just a correction to 3Sqn-Fudd's note. The Striker is a nVidia 680i chipset, not Intel P965.

The P35 boards are good choices being the more modern Bearlake chipset. Just about all the motherboards you'll even think about getting will take the Penryn CPUs when they do start showing up for sale.

But if you're even thinking about SLI any time in the future the nVidia SLI chipsets are the way to go. We don't often recommend SLI setups but its nice to have the option if you find a real need for it in the future.

(1) QX6850@$1100/Striker Extreme@$300/8800Ultra@$600 = $2000

(2) QX6850@$1100/Striker Extreme@$300/2x8800GTX@$525x2 = $2450

(3) E6850@$325/Striker Extreme@$300/8800Ultra@$600 = $1225

(4) E6850@$325/Asus P5N-E SLI@$125/2x8800GTX@$525x2 = $1500

(5) E6850@$325/Striker Extreme@$300/2x8800GTX@$525x2 = $1625

(6) E6850@$325/Asus P5N-E SLI@$125/8800GT2@$250 = $700

(7) Yorkfield@$999/BearlakeX-38@$250/G92 9800GTX@$650 = $1899

If you sat down and played Lock On on each of the first six systems above you couldnt tell the difference by playing the game. They'd all "feel" the same. But for future games like BioShock, Crysis and other 2008 releases #6 wouldn't be the best choice. #2, #3,#4 or #5 would be the best choices available now. #7 will be the best choice but not available right away.