HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I am definitely interested in the Reverb, it`s 90% of what the new rift should have been instead of the damp squib/afterthought the Rift S is. For simmmers the Rift S is pointless when much better res units are on the field for a little extra cash. I`m skipping oculus for now, and likely will still hold onto my old rift though I`m a bit jaded of it`s low-res at this stage. Roll on the Reverb and I`ll also watch HTC to see if they bring something worth considering at a similar price. HP look like the new goto option for any serious simmers.

Forget about oculus for the next couple of years.

Well that's your thought and I respect It, no need to consider not a real simmer Who thinks the Rift s Is his perfect spot between resolution and performance. You can be a real simmer even if you do not own a 2080ti. "Go for an hp and forget Oculus or you're not a real Simmer" Is disrespectful.

Well that's your thought and I respect It, no need to consider not a real simmer Who thinks the Rift s Is his perfect spot between resolution and performance. You can be a real simmer even if you do not own a 2080ti. "Go for an hp and forget Oculus or you're not a real Simmer" Is disrespectful.

I think you need to relax a small bit and be less of a snowflake in your efforts to stand up for oculus, unless you are on the payroll. They have PR people employed to do that job. I never mentioned the phrase "real simmers", I said "serious simmers". Serious simmers will always put hi-res/fidelity and sufficient tracking for seated vr above everything else. If the tracking and controls are also good for standing games etc. then all the better, but they will not be the priority. I`ll take the far higher res, built in headphones and proven design of the reverb over the inferior lenovo from oculus all day long.

What's the difference between a real Simmer and a serious Simmer? Am I a facetious Simmer? I am as serious as you are, even if I simply upgrade my Rift with 200 bucks instead of buying a new hp or pimax for 800. You can be a serious runner even if you run barefoot and do not own the last fashion sneakers out there.

(1) the assertion that when reducing FOV (PIMAX 5K+ has 3 settings: 170/150/125) - the “edge” pixels are simply disabled and go unused so total PPD goes unchanged. I’d love to see a link about this if you don’t mind.

This is done by software, Pi tool, so this is the only way to do it. Another possible way will be by physically changing lenses and reducing screen size which is not the case here. So this is it 100%.

(2) binocular overlap for PIMAX 5k+ is 100 degrees (“central view”) - I couldn’t find anything official about this, unfortunately. If you can share a link or some such I’d greatly appreciate it.

No one doesn't official in specs. There are some YouTubers who was trying to measure it and there are some tools for it but it is impossible to get 100% accurate data simply because every individual cant see VR world exactly the same so we have to take some average values based on multiple sources.

For accurate values, we will need multiple testing under the same condition and no one did it yet at all.

(3) PPD calculations here don’t include another important aspect - the distance between retina and the screen. The greater the distance, the greater the PPD. At 3cm in a headset the difference is non-trivial. Is this traditionally taken into account?

As I describe before this values I used same principles to every HMD and implement it here so this is not 100% exact values but giving 99% accurate values for accurate comparison. So if you compare these numbers with some true lens under the same condition comparison on several reviews on Youtube you can find.

This is just to help you imagine what difference could look like. Take these values just as one piece of the puzzle to get the picture of what to expect.

So far all my prediction based on such calculations was proven in the end by third part detailed reviews. If you don't trust check it out by your self for existing HMD's to confirm you can trust such calculation no matter it is not exact and official.

I really don't consider myself a serious simmer, but you can count me in on wanting the highest resolution/fidelity I can get. There is a $300.00 price difference between getting something that isn't much better than what I already have, and getting something that is at least twice as good. If it takes more horsepower under the hood to run it, so be it. You can upgrade your GPU and/or CPU, but you can't make an HMD have a higher resolution than what it comes with.

The cheaper of the two options is an example of the law of diminishing returns for me. Another great thing about the Reverb is that it appears to be built on a proven comfort concept, since it looks very much like a CV1 in its physical chracteristics. The only things I don't like about the comfort of my CV1 are the backstrap, and the face pad material, and it looks like the Reverb addresses both of those issues. It also looks like HP has been paying attention to the negative feedback from people who have purchased competitor's products, because they specifically mention the ease/reliability of the bluetooth connection between the HMD and the hand controllers. Although it seems as if their competition haven't listened to the gripes, it looks like HP has, and that's a good sign. I'm planning on keeping my CV1 too, so I'll still be able to use the Oculus store titles that I own. Very excited about what's coming in just a few short weeks.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

In my opinion Reverb's 600$ is the best to buy in way VR performances per $.

Pimax5K is not worth that money because to reach that level as a finished product you need to spend 1200$. It is too expensive for that level of quality Pimax provide.

Rift S is OK because will be cost in few months not more than 300$ so good as a starter. Better value per $ than Pimax as well. Solid for Starter.

O+ is still OK but Will be interesting to se real specs and price for Vive Cosmos.

HP Reverb caught my attention

It may be a winner .

Several testers online have good things

to say about it

1080 or 1080Ti is a must according to them

Intel i7-8086 @ 4.0 GHZ 32 GB RAM GTX 1080ti (x2)

I think you need to relax a small bit and be less of a snowflake in your efforts to stand up for oculus, unless you are on the payroll. They have PR people employed to do that job. I never mentioned the phrase "real simmers", I said "serious simmers". Serious simmers will always put hi-res/fidelity and sufficient tracking for seated vr above everything else. If the tracking and controls are also good for standing games etc. then all the better, but they will not be the priority. I`ll take the far higher res, built in headphones and proven design of the reverb over the inferior lenovo from oculus all day long.

Not happy with this. Do you have a $10,000 Stewart platform? Many well healed simmers do and do you think they view you as less serious than them?

You spend your cash in ways you can afford to do so, the hardware in no means defines the passion, skill or commitment.

Have you ever heard the phrase 'All the gear and no idea"?

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

As far as built in headsets, that's a no go for me, I rather have the choice of using my own high quality headset. Not as convenient, but certainly my personal preference.

The HP Reverb gives you that choice. The headset is included, but its adjustable and removable. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I for one am looking forward to seeing some reviews of how well DCS performs with the Reverb. I am hoping they have hit the sweet spot where we get some improved resolution while still being able to run it on a moderately high end system.

MD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I want this review from the HP reverb on DCS bad. Do we have a winner? or....Rift s or Vive Cosmos... In my opinion we have three headsets in the race. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Not happy with this. Do you have a $10,000 Stewart platform? Many well healed simmers do and do you think they view you as less serious than them?

You spend your cash in ways you can afford to do so, the hardware in no means defines the passion, skill or commitment.

Have you ever heard the phrase 'All the gear and no idea"?

Again, you may want to dial down you readiness to take offence and go all snowflake, and relax a small bit. I would class serious simmers as people who predominately play sim games such as DCS, IL2, racing games etc. Therefore mostly seated VR, and as such would prioritise the needs of same over the requirements for standing games etc. The need for seeing cockpit details etc. would require the need for fidelity as stated. As for your 10k/gear waffle, that`s exactly what it is.

Edited by Zoomer

I want this review from the HP reverb on DCS bad. Do we have a winner? or....Rift s or Vive Cosmos... In my opinion we have three headsets in the race. :D

For DCS Reverb and Cosmos should be quite equivalent.

With Cosmos, we have to see how much increases the tracking volume of the controllers, but that will affect other kind of games.

Rift S is gonna be much worst fpr DCS, with Reverb, even if you render at the same resolution that for Rift S, you'll have less SDE.

Only if the rumours about the resolution are true. There is no official specs for Vive Cosmos.

Rift S is gonna be much worst fpr DCS, with Reverb, even if you render at the same resolution that for Rift S, you'll have less SDE.

SDE depends on screen construction and optics more than on resolution. In fact, you can have higer res screen with worse SDE, because the total pixels area is smaller and there's more space between them.

Good news is so far testers said SDE on Reverb is barely noticeable.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Only if the rumours about the resolution are true. There is no official specs for Vive Cosmos.

I don't think there are many 4K displays ready for VR right now, so my guess is all HMDs comming this year with more than 1600p use that display, the Qualcom reference design too, the pico one too.

If PPD is the metric, then so far its the HP, noting official on the vive yet, but the general consensus is that it will likely have 2160 screens too. So, then its question of which optics design is better.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

With Cosmos, we have to see how much increases the tracking volume of the controllers, but that will affect other kind of games.

Just for DCS two more cameras will not be major difference.

Also, according to pictures Oculus Quest and Rift S have better coverage than Cosmos.

If PPD is the metric, then so far its the HP, noting official on the vive yet, but the general consensus is that it will likely have 2160 screens too. So, then its question of which optics design is better.

PPD = Pixel per Degree and it is imperial, not metric or maybe it is metric any way. Who knows. :music_whistling:

I'm curious about Cosmos pricing. if will be similar to Reverb 600 to 650$ will be OK everything higher hard for justified. Lower will be competitive and Vive will have great chance to replace Rift from Throne od PV VR HMD.

King is dead. Long live the King! The only question is who will win the throne of Enthusiast VR kingdom, Reverb or Cosmos?

Edited by wormeaten

MY biggest concern with the Reverb is the Company HP. Not the best at keeping customers happy and their software record with respect to updates is spotty. But who knows? This headset (reverb) looks more like an Oculus Product than the Rift S does :music_whistling: Kind of wonder about that.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

PPD = Pixel per Degree and it is imperial, not metric or maybe it is metric any way. Who knows. :music_whistling:

I'm curious about Cosmos pricing. if will be similar to Reverb 600 to 650$ will be OK everything higher hard for justified. Lower will be competitive and Vive will have great chance to replace Rift from Throne od PV VR HMD.

King is dead. Long live the King! The only question is who will win the throne of Enthusiast VR kingdom, Reverb or Cosmos?

Metric as in "measure" , not "unit of measure"....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

MY biggest concern with the Reverb is the Company HP. Not the best at keeping customers happy and their software record with respect to updates is spotty. But who knows? This headset (reverb) looks more like an Oculus Product than the Rift S does :music_whistling: Kind of wonder about that.

Yeah I posted earlier that I thought it was licensed from Occulus, but it does use WMR as the interface...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, metric has a few different meanings in english... BTW speaking of english I'm wondering about your screen name, maybe you were trying for Wormfood?

At any rate, the king is dead, long live the king! :thumbup:

I think the Rift S is going to be good for entry level VR, and a minor update for flight simmers. Hopefully the Reverb or someone else raises the bar a whole notch. My real hope is that 5 years from now someone will put on a Rift and go "People used to FLY with this??!!!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I think the Rift S is going to be good for entry level VR, and a minor update for flight simmers. Hopefully the Reverb or someone else raises the bar a whole notch. My real hope is that 5 years from now someone will put on a Rift and go "People used to FLY with this??!!!"

Rift S?! Definitely have its advantages and as entry level VR has its place and public on market. Realistic price for it is 300$ and you will see soon, even before Winter will drop on that price level. But to be honest it is not real step forward for CV1. It is cheaper but more to the Oculus in production cost than to the consumers.