HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

The only thing that I will miss about the Rift is using the touch controllers in DCS. I’ve gotten used to having one by each hand to grab and manipulate switches, much more convenient.

My understanding is that DCS doesn’t support WMR controllers yet, so it’ll be back to trying to hold my head steady to click that tiny switch with the mouse.

Worth it for the resolution though, I think.

I wonder if it would be possible to use both a WMR headset and the Touch controllers in the same environment. Not in a dedicated VR game that doesn't allow for multiple controller types, but maybe in DCS. I'm not planning on getting rid of my Rift stuff when I upgrade, so I'll have to try that out.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yeah obviously they are targeting the Rift S market, with the Rift S having no hardware IPD adjustment and the smaller FOV.

They have certainly perked my interest.

Going to have some nice devices soon to choose from. Rift S starting to tumble toward the bottom in that consideration on my end.

Yup. Its a wait and see kind of thing. I have a feeling though that if they had significantly improved on display resolution, they would be trumpeting that as well. As for IPD adjustment on the Reverb, I still don't see HP making any official mention of IPD on their Reverb Pro page, so we'll have to wait and see there too. I know that bloggers who attended a tech convention refer to HP reps telling them how IPD is handled, but I'll take that with a grain of salt. Whatever HMD I decide on (proably the HP Reverb, just for the resolution and comfort), I'll make sure to buy mine from a place that has a good return policy. My recent experience with another manufacturer's WMR headset taught me that it is definitely a wise choice to go that route.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Tested has put one through its paces.......

A much more in depth and informative review than previously seen.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Tested has put one through its paces.......

A much more in depth and informative review than previously seen.

No mention of SDE?

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Yeah, I think SDE will be minimal given the resolution. But its mostly what we already know. Its good to hear the sweet spot is large.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, I think SDE will be minimal given the resolution. But its mostly what we already know. Its good to hear the sweet spot is large.

Ummm-that's not what i heard . Perhaps i misunderstood

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Ummm-that's not what i heard . Perhaps i misunderstood

Which part?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Which part?

Oh , sorry , sweet spot . One of the reviewers found it definitely lacking . The other , i'm still not sure despite reviewing the vid again :)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Having finally got my hands on the Stable branch F14 Tomcat and tried the startup tutorial, it is clear that the reverb will be essential.

I can't read some of the placards clearly enough to be quick finding the switches and the tutorial page fades out....

Particularly the test switches on the right rear console.

And that's with rift running PD at 2.2....

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

About SDE. A major factor for SDE is lens magnification and PPI of the display.

So magnification factor for Vive, Rift or WMR is same. Pimax5K/8K got smaller magnification factor.

So to compare look at Vive and Vive PRO. Vive displays have around 430PPI and Vive PRO around 530PPI. I took Vive to compare because it is only in displays differences.

Similar is if you compare with Samsung O, Rift and Rift S now.

Pimax is even better not just because 5K have around 530PPI but as well smaller magnifications what reducing SDE as well.

Pimax8K display got around 800PPI that is why SDE on (k is lowest possible.

My point is, Reverb display is much smaller so to stretch it to 114FOV lenses need much higher magnification factor what increasing size of the pixel. So 2160x2160 is effecting on PPD, not on SDE. As I remember when they announcing production on such displays two years ago they also say they have 3000PPI what is for SDE more important spec than resolution.

Now when you take into consideration higher magnification factor it will look like if Vive or Rift will have displays with around 1200PPI.

Practically there is no SDE. Of course display without SDE is not existing but this is now near normal monitor experience according to SDE.

Reverb/Cosmos will also have the best PPD, around 21. To remind you aimed PPD for near monitor experience in VR is above 30. Just to give you clear values in numbers so you can imagine how this will look like.

Oh , sorry , sweet spot . One of the reviewers found it definitely lacking . The other , i'm still not sure despite reviewing the vid again :)

Yeah, I think its gonna matter on each individuals IPD too. Hard to say what theirs were, probably that guy had his IPD away from the perfect 64.

Having finally got my hands on the Stable branch F14 Tomcat and tried the startup tutorial, it is clear that the reverb will be essential.

I can't read some of the placards clearly enough to be quick finding the switches and the tutorial page fades out....

Particularly the test switches on the right rear console.

And that's with rift running PD at 2.2....

For now, go with the VR cockpit mod. It helps immensely as we await further tech... ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I do not wish to knock anyone's choice here . I hope none of us need suffer from buyer's remorse . But having said that , the Reverb's numbers do not add up , i think , in DCS .

Consider the Pimax . People running 4.8 ghz Intel and 1080 ti nvidea (or higher in both cases) are reporting frames in the mid to upper 30s solo AT ALTITUDE . This with very low DCS settings , pds at 1 , steam (down) sampling at 30% and fov of 150 as opposed to 170 . The Reverb has 1.4x the pixels of a Pimax at 150 fov !

I fear that anyone running a Reverb in DCS even on the very best systems available will be experiencing something akin to running a Rift on a 960m , even with the upcoming 50% performance increase . If the increased resolution is that important to you , by all means get the Reverb , but do so with your eyes wide open :) - and mindful of the fact that a headset designed primarily for enterprise applications finds performance considerations much less relevant .

Yeah, I think its gonna matter on each individuals IPD too. Hard to say what theirs were, probably that guy had his IPD away from the perfect 64.

Well , 90+% of us do....:)

Well i saw a first review on YouTube. A gamebreaker that i saw was the tracking. Latency was very noticable. I don’t see this in my rift. It seems that’s related to Windows mixed reality. The hp worker said that’s not related to hp but Microsoft. So this one i can drop already before it’s out. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I would *love* to get the Reverb. But the reviewer basically said that the FOV is the same as the Rift. Or slightly better but not noticeable.

That may make it a non-contender. The Normal FOV of Pimax5K+ really spoiled me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I would *love* to get the Reverb. But the reviewer basically said that the FOV is the same as the Rift. Or slightly better but not noticeable.

That may make it a non-contender. The Normal FOV of Pimax5K+ really spoiled me.

Sadly probably the same deal for me. The high resolution sounds really great, but I find the wide FOV of the Pimax to be comparable to how I felt when I first tried VR, in terms of “I can never go back”...

First I could never go back to 2D flying on a monitor.

Now I can’t go back to scuba mask VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

It's funny, when I put on my Pimax 5K+, I was quite disappointed. I thought to myself, "this is what all the fuss was about?" Granted the higher FOV is better, but isn't exactly Earth shattering. I think it also had to do with the 5K+ isn't as nearly sharp/clear as I was hoping for. And there are a ton of god-rays.

It really doesn't look any better than a Vive Pro etc. I think the Reverb with that high of resolution with RGB stripe is going to blow other headsets out of the water. Especially since you get can Vive controllers working with WMR now.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Interesting comments here - I am on Rift and considering a change - I read the 5K+ as giving a second to none FOV- a game changing feature. There are also a few drawbacks around 5K+, but I am missing a comment on 5K+ resolution compared to the Rift, ideally from a former Rift user and now having been on 5K+ for some time. Can anyone contribute?

The resolution is better than rift, but not mind blowing. Similar to other gen. 1.5 headsets. Bigger FOV is nice, but the performance hit is massive and the software is immature.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Qith the current SOT you basically have to pick between good ppd or good FOV. For me its PPD...

Qith the current SOT you basically have to pick between good ppd or good FOV. For me its PPD...

Noticed your sig >>>> Rift CV1 (yes really). Wow man! :megalol:;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Give me clarity/ppd over a small bump in FOV any and every day. No point in having a 150 or 200 degree fov if everything is barely legible. I`m in the Reverb corner looking at Valve. If the valve index is the same as the vive pro res, then it`s a non runner for me. If it matches or is superior to that of the reverb, then it`s a definite buy. Even if it`s around the 800 euro mark, with included knuckles and lighthouses etc. I spent similar money for my 2080 so to maximise my VR experience.

Edited by Zoomer

HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

Give me clarity/ppd over a small bump in FOV any and every day. No point in having a 150 or 200 degree fov if everything is barley legible

^ THIS

you can work around FOV issues by turning your head a bit. really easy to do.

you can’t fix resolution/clarity no matter what you do. even if when you pray and squint.