HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

It's funny, when I put on my Pimax 5K+, I was quite disappointed. I thought to myself, "this is what all the fuss was about?" Granted the higher FOV is better, but isn't exactly Earth shattering. I think it also had to do with the 5K+ isn't as nearly sharp/clear as I was hoping for. And there are a ton of god-rays.

It really doesn't look any better than a Vive Pro etc. I think the Reverb with that high of resolution with RGB stripe is going to blow other headsets out of the water. Especially since you get can Vive controllers working with WMR now.

Lmao.

Give me clarity/ppd over a small bump in FOV any and every day. No point in having a 150 or 200 degree fov if everything is barley legible. I`m in the Reverb corner looking at Valve. If the valve index is the same as the vive pro res, then it`s a non runner for me. If it matches or is superior to that of the reverb, then it`s a definite buy. Even if it`s around the 800 euro mark, with included knuckles and lighthouses etc. I spent similar money for my 2080 so to maximise my VR experience.

Why is it barely legible? Are you talking in the hypothetical? I too thought FOV was a nice to have. After having used P5K+, I no longer think that.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Why is it barely legible? Are you talking in the hypothetical? I too thought FOV was a nice to have. After having used P5K+, I no longer think that.

I`m saying give me clarity and the advantages it naturally brings over the small bump in fov. If you compromise on ppd then you are stuck with it. Coming from the rift I`ll take ability to see detail as the dictating factor in my choice of upgrade.

Noticed your sig >>>> Rift CV1 (yes really). Wow man! :megalol:;)

I even got a whole thread on how to best run it with a low end rig... but sig will change in the next few days :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I even got a whole thread on how to best run it with a low end rig... but sig will change in the next few days :thumbup:

I thought I saw somewhere you're upgrading your GPU. Cool! :thumbup:

But still, running the CV1, you sold out to "da man!" You kissed the ring... :lol:;)

Live long and prosper brother. ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

^ THIS

you can work around FOV issues by turning your head a bit. really easy to do.

you can’t fix resolution/clarity no matter what you do. even if when you pray and squint.

I’m pretty excited about the new and upcoming HMD options, including the Pimax 5k+. I’m going to make a pretty careful decision because I’ve put my neck out, literally, while dogfighting in the Hornet. 110 degrees FOV suuuuucks! Usually your peripheral vision will easily pick up something that is precisely on your six, the CV1 will not unless you really put some twist on your neck and I’m 45 and it’s not as easy as it used to be. Even twisting my hips makes it difficult.

Even an extra 10 degrees would go a ling way toward fixing the issue, I’m going to have to be very patient.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I thought I saw somewhere you're upgrading your GPU. Cool! :thumbup:

But still, running the CV1, you sold out to "da man!" You kissed the ring... :lol:;)

Live long and prosper brother. ;)

Well, I'm perpetually upgrading stuff. The upgrade for the rift will be the Reverb most likely.

The only reason I went with the rift in the first place was because I didn't think the 980m could run anything else. And I took the queens shilling, so I must do her bidding I guess.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I’m pretty excited about the new and upcoming HMD options, including the Pimax 5k+. I’m going to make a pretty careful decision because I’ve put my neck out, literally, while dogfighting in the Hornet. 110 degrees FOV suuuuucks! Usually your peripheral vision will easily pick up something that is precisely on your six, the CV1 will not unless you really put some twist on your neck and I’m 45 and it’s not as easy as it used to be. Even twisting my hips makes it difficult.

Even an extra 10 degrees would go a ling way toward fixing the issue, I’m going to have to be very patient.

Its the perpetual upgrade cycle. Eventually we will get 200+ degree FOV at 30ppd or more. Its just gonna take time. Your current choices are 200 deg FOV with 18ish PPD or 114 FOV with 25 PPD... For me its PPD over FOV, I'm an "old" man too.

I'm still waiting to hear what the cosmos and the index turn out to be before committing to the verb tho.

Its the perpetual upgrade cycle. Eventually we will get 200+ degree FOV at 30ppd or more. Its just gonna take time. Your current choices are 200 deg FOV with 18ish PPD or 114 FOV with 25 PPD... For me its PPD over FOV, I'm an "old" man too.

I'm still waiting to hear what the cosmos and the index turn out to be before committing to the verb tho.

For sure, same. Here’s a pretty good review of the HP Reverb too.

The product manager indicates that they’re looking at this being a worldwide release too. Perhaps Australia can be brought in to the the 21st century this time and they could send us some.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

The Reverb seems like a natural fit for DCS with very high res screens allowing visualization of finer details. I doubt that the Valve Index will have comparable PPD since Valve is probably aiming for mass adoption—would be happy if proven wrong since I do prefer outside-in tracking.

Too bad they didn’t improve the Reverb’s tracking over 1st gen WMR devices, but if you mostly play DCS then there isn’t much to complain about.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Not in the next 10 years. For that, you will need a display with minimum 4500x2500 native resolution and to run it GRTX 6080ti TURBO.

Unless they find a viable solution for foveated rendering.

According to those who using Fixed Foveated Rendering gain is just 10 to 15%. There is some other technology already available like this SLI/CF stuff wherein VR you can use GPU per eye.

Problem is on gamers developer side because it is not implemented yet in any game because game developers are still behind new technologies.

In DCS case maybe Vulcan will make things better on that field.

Imagine that, today's best GPU RTX 2080ti cant run DCS in VR more than 45 fps without sacrificing details and it costs 1200$. New Navi 10 should be with performances between RTX 2070 and 2080 for just 250$. So 2x Navi 10 for 500$ should outperform single 2080ti in more than half price and reach stable 45 FPS what means full smooth picture in ASW with full details. Or if you don't ask for money, now will have the sense to buy two RTX 2080ti for full details 60FPS or 90 FPS with some sacrifices in details.

Edited by wormeaten

Yeah I will always take resolution over FOV.

Right now I am leaning heavily toward the new Valve Index, will see when full specs revealed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I will always take resolution over FOV.

Right now I am leaning heavily toward the new Valve Index, will see when full specs revealed.

I've gotta say, now that I have seen the leaked resolution specs on the Index, I'm leaning that way too. The IPD adjustment isn't of major importance to me, but I like the fact that the Index will still be using its own controllers and sensor package. I'd rather not deal with the tracking lag of WMR headsets with inside-out tracking after all these years of having my Rift. When one of the reviewers of the Reverb expressed concern about the tracking lag, and the HP rep's answer was "That's a Microsoft thing.", that definitely knocked it out of the top slot. Really trying to avoid another finger-pointing situation between tech companies. When the HMD manufacturer is responsible for the entire solution, I think we're much more likely to get quick resolutions to issues that might come up. Besides, Steam/Valve have been the biggest promoters of VR gaming, so they know things the other companies don't know. I'll wait to see what their official specs are, but if they turn out to be what was leaked, or turn out to be even better, I think its a no-brainer. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

As an exclusive seated VR player on a Lenovo Explorer WMR headset I can say without a doubt that I never experienced any lag. Is this lag related to the use of the VR controllers ? If so, it will not be a problem for exclusive sim use.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I`m saying give me clarity and the advantages it naturally brings over the small bump in fov. If you compromise on ppd then you are stuck with it. Coming from the rift I`ll take ability to see detail as the dictating factor in my choice of upgrade.

Ah, I get it. That seems to be the direction that Reverb is going. P5K+ is much better than Rift. But I tell you what, you do get spoiled by FOV super fast! :D

I do like that Pimax allows you to change the fOV from three different settings.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Not in the next 10 years. For that, you will need a display with minimum 4500x2500 native resolution and to run it GRTX 6080ti TURBO.

Well, who knows...

I think I'll personally define "Generation" by PPD... Currently the HP Reverb is the only one in the 20's so its gen2. Once one gets into the 30's and a card can run it its gen3. Once you hit 30 ppd, its gonna be harder and harder to tell the difference between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 ppd. 70ppd being the retinal limit. Honestly its the GFX cards and procs holding us back.

Ah, I get it. That seems to be the direction that Reverb is going. P5K+ is much better than Rift. But I tell you what, you do get spoiled by FOV super fast! :D

I do like that Pimax allows you to change the fOV from three different settings.

The different FOV's will probably be a "feature" in all future high FOV headsets, until cards/procs catch up.

Well, I'm perpetually upgrading stuff. The upgrade for the rift will be the Reverb most likely.

The only reason I went with the rift in the first place was because I didn't think the 980m could run anything else. And I took the queens shilling, so I must do her bidding I guess.

As of right now, the Reverb is on my list too. But I presume I'll have to pull the trigger on a 2080Ti, I don't think my GTX1080 will do it justice. But at this point, I'll observe what others start to report back with their Reverb's and performance.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

As of right now, the Reverb is on my list too. But I presume I'll have to pull the trigger on a 2080Ti, I don't think my GTX1080 will do it justice. But at this point, I'll observe what others start to report back with their Reverb's and performance.

Not decentrally. With Pimax5K+ we have a significant increase of pixels but mostly because of increasing FOV what is additional pixels for rendering and need for SS is stay the same as with Rift/Vive.

Reverb is increasing pixels native resolution so this is decreasing need for SS so I believe you will have a great picture with 1.0 SS or better say without SS at all and with the better end result than old Rift/Vive with SS to reach the same level of render. Even if you downgrade SS for better performances should be some benefit in clarity and complete SDE removal.

As so far information reveal Reverb is my favorite in front Cosmos and Pimax5K+. Why?

Let's see what these competitors offering.

Pimax5K+ is offering. Larger FOV and that only benefits over Reverb. For 700$ you got only HMD without tracking and controllers, lover quality display with lower PPD, Lover quality production parts. For reach tracking and controllers you will need to invest additional 400$ what will increase total price to minimum 1100$ almost two Reverb.

Personally, I will always go for clarity over FOV especially in siting games like sims like DCS. This FOV is not worth double price. No thank you Pimax.

Cosmos is not fully revealed yet but from what we know it is in essence WMR just like Reverb but with 2 additional cameras for tracking. Now there is HTC Index VR similar to Oculus Quest but announced price is 800$ twice as much than Quest. I'm afraid how Cosmos could cost only more than Index so will be 900 to 1000$ for sure and that is put questions those two cameras worth this 300 too 400$ increase of the price? Everything else will be similar as Reverb just minimum difference in design and comfort what we couldn't know before first proper testing but specs are the same.

That is why Reverb will be my favorite already, the only real competitor will be SO+ because of OLED display and lower price. It is lowe clarity but OLED displays will give some benefits especially in games where you need more natural colors and black as it is in Elite Dangerous. Even in DCS that color superiority gives some advantage in spotting targets but losing clarity with less readable instruments.

I believe Reverb will prove it self as best options for DCS soon as will be released and properly tested in real gaming especially in DCS.

Edited by wormeaten

Cosmos is not fully revealed yet but from what we know it is in essence WMR just like Reverb but with 2 additional cameras for tracking. Now there is HTC Index VR similar to Oculus Quest but announced price is 800$ twice as much than Quest. I'm afraid how Cosmos could cost only more than Index so will be 900 to 1000$ for sure and that is put questions those two cameras worth this 300 too 400$ increase of the price? Everything else will be similar as Reverb just minimum difference in design and comfort what we couldn't know before first proper testing but specs are the same.

This is not accurate.

Firstly it is the Valve Index, not HTC. HTC has nothing to do with it.

It has nothing in common with Oculus Quest which is a mobile stand alone unit (no PC connection).

From what has been disclosed the Valve Index is beyond what even the upcoming Rift S will be.

It will also use the new Knuckles Controllers which have been in development for some time.

There has been no official word yet on pricing.

Being Valve it will obviously use Steam VR rather than WMR.

Pre-orders are supposed to open sometime in May for June delivery.

I will likely be all over this one.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/29/valve-is-building-its-own-high-end-vr-headset-called-index/

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As an exclusive seated VR player on a Lenovo Explorer WMR headset I can say without a doubt that I never experienced any lag. Is this lag related to the use of the VR controllers ? If so, it will not be a problem for exclusive sim use.

What headset did you have before the Explorer that you're comparing it to for tracking lag?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: