HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

This is not accurate.

Firstly it is the Valve Index, not HTC. HTC has nothing to do with it.

It has nothing in common with Oculus Quest which is a mobile stand alone unit (no PC connection).

From what has been disclosed the Valve Index is beyond what even the upcoming Rift S will be.

It will also use the new Knuckles Controllers which have been in development for some time.

There has been no official word yet on pricing.

Being Valve it will obviously use Steam VR rather than WMR.

Pre-orders are supposed to open sometime in May for June delivery.

I will likely be all over this one.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/29/valve-is-building-its-own-high-end-vr-headset-called-index/

My bad, I put the wrong name for HTC Focus I write Index what is completly wrong. Sorry for that mistake. But in essence now you know what I was trying to say. Anyway, for Valve Index we still don't know much to judge at all.

What headset did you have before the Explorer that you're comparing it to for tracking lag?

There is no problem with any WMR tracking at all. Some problem appears if there is not a good condition so bad light could cause a problem with tracking or large empty surface without something to orienteering movement. This is easily fixed by increasing light or add some posters on the wall if they are single color large and empty.

In this case, the problem could be that large flat one color surface or too many movements around players and glass walls.

So all this problem is easily fixed and it is similar like if you got something to interrupt between you and sensors on Rift/Vive. Actually, it is not a problem but could happen if you made it possible to happened and not prevent it.

There is no problem with any WMR tracking at all. Some problem appears if there is not a good condition so bad light could cause a problem with tracking or large empty surface without something to orienteering movement. This is easily fixed by increasing light or add some posters on the wall if they are single color large and empty.

In this case, the problem could be that large flat one color surface or too many movements around players and glass walls.

So all this problem is easily fixed and it is similar like if you got something to interrupt between you and sensors on Rift/Vive. Actually, it is not a problem but could happen if you made it possible to happened and not prevent it.

Thanks for that, but I was asking the question of the person I quoted. Having to mess with lighting and putting posters on the wall to compensate for WMRs shortcomings isn't something I would be interested in.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks for that, but I was asking the question of the person I quoted. Having to mess with lighting and putting posters on the wall to compensate for WMRs shortcomings isn't something I would be interested in.

I don't mess with posters on the wall, either, but I do turn on the light in the room at night. No issues with tracking whatsoever with my O+. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• ED Team
I don't mess with posters on the wall, either, but I do turn on the light in the room at night. No issues with tracking whatsoever with my O+. :thumbup:

Same for me, as long as the room has the light on I never have any issues tracking with WMR

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

What headsets did you guys have before your current ones?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

What headset did you have before the Explorer that you're comparing it to for tracking lag?

I used to run an Oculus Rift and jumped in the WMR ecosystem to have a slight increase in clarity. I never used my Rift in a room scale environment, I obviously cannot compare it to the WMR room scale experience. The fact is that I never got tracking issues in a seated position.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I used to run an Oculus Rift and jumped in the WMR ecosystem to have a slight increase in clarity. I never used my Rift in a room scale environment, I obviously cannot compare it to the WMR room scale experience. The fact is that I never got tracking issues in a seated position.

Cool! A comparison to the Rift is exactly what I was looking for. I just don't want to end up with a headset that lags/keeps moving after my head stops. If it tracks like the Rift, then its definitely worth looking at. Thanks 33-DFTC! :D

HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

Never had a single tracking issue with the O+, actually preferred it to my Rift CV1 tracking. Seated experiences only, exclusively DCS. Only thing I ever did special for it, as noted above, was turn on the light in the room when it was dark outside/in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Same for me, as long as the room has the light on I never have any issues tracking with WMR

so you need to have a light on in the room in order to get good tracking with WMR?

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

• ED Team
so you need to have a light on in the room in order to get good tracking with WMR?

Seems that way, I notice tracking issues if my light is not on or I don't have good daylight.

I think it is due to it using the front cameras for mapping.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Seems that way, I notice tracking issues if my light is not on or I don't have good daylight.

I think it is due to it using the front cameras for mapping.

Hmmm, ahh ok, I was really excited about the resolution bump with this HMD but if the tracking isn't very good without a light on then it may be time to think again. Or maybe just take the plunge and get it. This is the first main stream HMD with actually good resolution, I dont consider the Pimax a contender as I know people who have had many issues with it

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmmm, ahh ok, I was really excited about the resolution bump with this HMD but if the tracking isn't very good without a light on then it may be time to think again. Or maybe just take the plunge and get it. This is the first main stream HMD with actually good resolution, I dont consider the Pimax a contender as I know people who have had many issues with it

Just remember, the Pimax 5K+ has lower vertical resolution than the Vive Pro or O+, as it's vertical res is 1440 compared to 1600 for the Vive Pro and O+.

The Pimax has more pixels, but I would think that is because of the larger FOV, 170 degrees compared to 110.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So you play in the dark ? XD that's a bit creepy.

I don't think that a light is a big investment next to the headset

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Why would you need a night on in the room when you normally have the monitor light and also when your head is in the HMD you cannot see the room anyways

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When wearing a VR headset a light source becomes an non issue. And the 5W led will not make an impact on your electricity bill. Best purchase the headset from a company with a consumer friendly return policy.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Heh, I don't think there's anything creepier for your neighbors than walking by your patio and seeing some guy wearing a strange looking piece of headgear and pushing a stick back and forth. That would happen if you're having to open curtains to make your VR gear happy. :D

Having to tweak the lighting conditions is just another PITA thing to deal with. Kinda like the old days of having to get lighting conditions just right for your TrackIR.

Just remember, the Pimax 5K+ has lower vertical resolution than the Vive Pro or O+, as it's vertical res is 1440 compared to 1600 for the Vive Pro and O+.

The Pimax has more pixels, but I would think that is because of the larger FOV, 170 degrees compared to 110.

Having gone from an O+ directly to a Pimax 5K+, numbers and pixel count aside, I can confidently say the 5K+ is much clearer and the text in cockpit is much easier to read (fully legible).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Pixel count is half the story, Pimax uses RGB displays, Vive and Odyssey have pentile screens.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

recent impressions of hands on with the Reverb, including through the lenses pictures:

This IPD thing seems like a problem. However, I’m confused, I thought the IPD was adjustable by software in the HP Reverb, or am I just making that up?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team
This IPD thing seems like a problem. However, I’m confused, I thought the IPD was adjustable by software in the HP Reverb, or am I just making that up?

It is adjustable with software, I think the main issue is the sweet spot, on WMR headsets can be a challenge as they are smaller than some headsets, but I have got used to that with mine. Hopefully with the reverb we will see some improvement in that department.

It is adjustable with software, I think the main issue is the sweet spot, on WMR headsets can be a challenge as they are smaller than some headsets, but I have got used to that with mine. Hopefully with the reverb we will see some improvement in that department.

Reviews seem to suggest that a small sweet spot is still an issue.

• ED Team
Reviews seem to suggest that a small sweet spot is still an issue.

That is a shame, but not a stopper for me, I have made do with the sweet spot being small already