HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

In VR is different. the real resolution you got in PPD (Pixel Per Degree) so divide horizontal resolution with FOV on the single eye.

In this case, theoretically, Rift S got slightly better PPD (12.8 than Index (12.5) due to a higher FOV of Index. PPD is basically the same but Index got significantly higher FOV what is an added bonus to immersion but the picture clarity should be the same. Full RGB LCD both.

They say that FOV in the Index depends on your head shape and how close you can get the screen to your eyes. Overall I dont think its going to be a significant difference. From DCS standpoint Index and RIft S screens will be very similar as you pointed. Im not ordering anything untill HP will be tested with DCS. Has anyone done the math on the PPD for Reverb?

Intel i9-9900k 5.0GHz · Gainward RTX2080Ti 11GB Phoenix GS · AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate · Benq 4K 32" PD3200U · Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe · 2x Seagate ST2000DX002 2TB · 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 · SoundBlaster ZX · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · SAITEK Pedals · RIFT S

That's true about any headset and it's a reason why it's hard to really calculate PPD. Even in the original rift I can gain extra 5-10 degrees FOV by just pushing the headset against my face.

PPD comparisons down to decimal places are meaningless. All 1.5 gen headsets except reverb are in the same ballpark and the rest depends more on optics, screen type and user's head shape than just basic resolution comparisons.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

They say that FOV in the Index depends on your head shape and how close you can get the screen to your eyes. Overall I dont think its going to be a significant difference. From DCS standpoint Index and RIft S screens will be very similar as you pointed. Im not ordering anything untill HP will be tested with DCS. Has anyone done the math on the PPD for Reverb?

PPD should be mid 20s.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yes, true but this is not affecting on PPD because with head position to the lens how you lose part of FOV you lose part of horizontal resolution if display which will stay out of the FOV.

Using same principles to calculate approximate, not exact PPD, you just need to use this formula "FOV per eye/horizontal resolution per eye".

In that case, Reverb will have bestPPD on the market and will be approximately 21 using the same principles as we use for Rift S and Index in this case.

This is just to get a picture in numbers what you can expect. For more precise PPD we will need more precise measured specifications and there is no one who is providing it so we are using basic information in the same way for all HMD's.

Edited by wormeaten

No hardware IPD. What? So close yet so far.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

No hardware IPD. What? So close yet so far.

Honestly I'm tired of hearing this. The developers presumably know wtf they are doing, and if there is no hardware IPD adjustment it probably works well enough without it, supposedly the eyebox sweetspot is much larger than current headsets so it should work for most. As there are no good reviews out yet I'll hold off on being too judgy.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Ya, when they first released the initial specs on the Index as using an old/slow Displayport 1.2 connection, I knew it was not going to be good. I will be using the Reverb with the new Index controllers and lighthouses.

So the best HMD + the best controllers/tracking.

Well I`d hoped the "Displayport 1.2" was just a placeholder, alas no. Valve have just seemingly strived for the last few years to produce a vive pro clone at a slightly cheaper price and a year and half late. So much for original thought. Like yourself I may pick up the index controllers/lighthouses when they have reduced significantly in price, otherwise I`ll give them a miss. I`m mostly a simmer and can use the rift for the occasional standing game if needs be.

Edited by Zoomer

Ya, when they first released the initial specs on the Index as using an old/slow Displayport 1.2 connection, I knew it was not going to be good. I will be using the Reverb with the new Index controllers and lighthouses.

So the best HMD + the best controllers/tracking.

I'm not at all sure what you mean. Steam lighthouses will not work with Reverb. Reverb is a totally different tracking solution to the steam lighthouse system.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I'm not at all sure what you mean. Steam lighthouses will not work with Reverb. Reverb is a totally different tracking solution to the steam lighthouse system.

You can get the vive controllers to work with a Windows Mixed Reality headset so it should work with the reverb.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Honestly I'm tired of hearing this. The developers presumably know wtf they are doing, and if there is no hardware IPD adjustment it probably works well enough without it, supposedly the eyebox sweetspot is much larger than current headsets so it should work for most. As there are no good reviews out yet I'll hold off on being too judgy.

It’s a huge issue. What is the iPd range this headset will fit? If they don’t have official specs on that then it’s a huge risk buying a headset for those on the extremes of iPd sizes. Have any reviewers stated iPd range for this one. I’m about to buy it but holding off due to no physical iPd adjustments.

My iPd is 61.7, the odyssey + just barely works and that has a physical adjustment. So I may be on the smaller scale.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

It’s a huge issue. What is the iPd range this headset will fit? If they don’t have official specs on that then it’s a huge risk buying a headset for those on the extremes of iPd sizes. Have any reviewers stated iPd range for this one. I’m about to buy it but holding off due to no physical iPd adjustments.

My iPd is 61.7, the odyssey + just barely works and that has a physical adjustment. So I may be on the smaller scale.

The ipd mean is 62 , so i don't think you will have a problem...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Its a huge issue on current gen sets because they were designed that way with small sweet spots/eyeboxes, presumably because it was cheaper to do it. Better optics and wider eyeboxes cost more. But at the end of the day you are wise to wait since no one knows how big of an issue it will be one way or another.

Everyone Is concerned about the lack of ipd adjustment, but I wonder: have you ever used a cardboard? It has cheap fixed lenses but I never experienced something bad using It. Sure It Is not a high-end device, but new hmds such as reverb or rift s have better lenses and higher resolution so this can compensate for the lack of ipd adjustment in terms of visual clarity.

I don't mind a lack of IPD adjustment for myself (having a bog standard 64mm), but knowing my social circles, a lot of people will want to try that thing out and not being able to adjust them to the user will cost VR some reputation. While I originally planned to get a Reverb, I am waiting for more info on Acer's ConceptD OJO which will have the same panels but physical IPD adjustment on top of that. Let's see if they have different lenses as well.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

As I have said before, it does concern me that everyone keeps talking about the new higher res (in the case of the Reverb) sets but hardly anyone seems to talk about how we are going to push these extra pixels around.

I mean, I have trouble with my 2880x1600 Vive Pro in DCS with a fairly top end piece of kit, so I have no idea what will happen when trying the Reverb's additional pixels. So, how the majority of users with lesser PCs will fare, I really don't know.

(Yes, I know about the VR improvement ED have promised, but we still haven't seen anything concrete on that.)

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Also, I think going for higher and higher res is not the way forward. XTAL, albeit at a crazy price, demonstrates very well the levels of clarity you can get at mere Pimax 5K res even without supersampling, as long as your optics are on point. I think the res race is about as silly as the megapixel race that the digital cameras are subject to. In the end, visual clarity is what counts and the less resolution you achieve that with, the better. Because GPUs can only do so much.

All this res race is basically trying to shift the burden of making up for imperfect optics by brute forcing it with raw GPU power. That can only go so far.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Also, I think going for higher and higher res is not the way forward. XTAL, albeit at a crazy price, demonstrates very well the levels of clarity you can get at mere Pimax 5K res even without supersampling, as long as your optics are on point. I think the res race is about as silly as the megapixel race that the digital cameras are subject to. In the end, visual clarity is what counts and the less resolution you achieve that with, the better. Because GPUs can only do so much.

All this res race is basically trying to shift the burden of making up for imperfect optics by brute forcing it with raw GPU power. That can only go so far.

Agreed. In fact, I am perfectly happy with the res of my Vive Pro, it's the screen door effect I would like to see reduced/removed. Samsung tried a solution with the Odyssey +, but that led to loss of clarity compared to the VP.

So, I agree, it's not so much about resolution, it's about quality of lenses and optics. Only time will tell if these up and coming HMDs will be a step forward.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

As I have said before, it does concern me that everyone keeps talking about the new higher res (in the case of the Reverb) sets but hardly anyone seems to talk about how we are going to push these extra pixels around.

I mean, I have trouble with my 2880x1600 Vive Pro in DCS with a fairly top end piece of kit, so I have no idea what will happen when trying the Reverb's additional pixels. So, how the majority of users with lesser PCs will fare, I really don't know.

(Yes, I know about the VR improvement ED have promised, but we still haven't seen anything concrete on that.)

I agree, in fact I plan to change my CV1 with a Rift s, since I believe it's the right spot between resolution and performance and I can handle it with my 2070. Wags words on how it behaves with DCS and my tests with CV1 IPD slider (I barely notice any difference if I change it during game, and my IPD is 70 mm) have completely cleared my mind.

I have ordered both an Index and a Rift S, so I'll be set in any case. I hope the Index will do half of the gloriousness that the XTAL does in terms of optics, albeit with a smaller FOV. The Rift S is just the easy thing for my travels and should be doing fine when hooked up to my laptop.

I have an odyssey right now and I'm not buying any new headset until we get some reviews on how they will run in DCS as that's what I'll mainly be using it for. When I used my Oculus I played some other games because the software was more intuitive.

I'm really concerned about the resolution of the Reverb and what it will take to run it smoothly. I don't want to spend $1300 on a 2080ti just for the headset when my 1080ti handles every other game I may play on my 3440x1440p monitor with pretty much max settings. I told myself I'll wait for the next iterations of Ti cards after the 20 series reviews came out.

Wags mentioned the rift S made everything clearer to read and I already thought cockpits were clear enough for me with the Odyssey so I'm wondering if it's actually better. I know a lot of people on here preordered the S so I'm waiting on their reviews. Hopefully some of them have also tried the Odyssey.

Then it will just be more waiting to see how the Reverb does. To me it feels like it will be better but you can't really say that based on resolution alone if it's gonna run like crap.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I think for most stuff, you'll be fine with the 1080Ti. The benefit of the 2080Ti over the 1080Ti is nowhere near worth the price (SweViver did a comparison for that exact scenario and came out quite disappointed). The only nice stuff the new RTX GPUs can do is foveated rendering in hardware, which the most recent PiTool actually implements, albeit fixed to the center of the viewpoint since there is no eyetracking.

I trust Wags so much that I blindly ordered a Rift S for my travel setup since he said he can read everything in the cockpit (which is my baseline for desirability of a HMD), since the self-contained design lends itself well to that. I just wish Oculus would have given the Quest an option for tethering instead of making it a walled garden with standalone only. I hope Quest 2 delivers on that someday. Also, I hope Oculus drops the whole Walled Garden mentality altogether.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I think for most stuff, you'll be fine with the 1080Ti. The benefit of the 2080Ti over the 1080Ti is nowhere near worth the price (SweViver did a comparison for that exact scenario and came out quite disappointed). The only nice stuff the new RTX GPUs can do is foveated rendering in hardware, which the most recent PiTool actually implements, albeit fixed to the center of the viewpoint since there is no eyetracking.

I trust Wags so much that I blindly ordered a Rift S for my travel setup since he said he can read everything in the cockpit (which is my baseline for desirability of a HMD), since the self-contained design lends itself well to that. I just wish Oculus would have given the Quest an option for tethering instead of making it a walled garden with standalone only. I hope Quest 2 delivers on that someday. Also, I hope Oculus drops the whole Walled Garden mentality altogether.

I think so too. It would be nice if the rift S is clearer than the odyssey as it's cheaper than the Reverb so I'd go that route. One thing I hate about the odyssey is that it's not as comfortable to wear as my Oculus. I'm hoping the reverb is more comfortable in that regard. Looks like reverb will be out may 6th so we should be getting some reviews later in the month.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz