HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

The way Ebuyer are dragging their feet with my 2080TI RMA, I reckon I will still see the Reverb before I see a replacement GPU.

It's been a long three weeks...

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Also, I think going for higher and higher res is not the way forward. XTAL, albeit at a crazy price, demonstrates very well the levels of clarity you can get at mere Pimax 5K res even without supersampling, as long as your optics are on point. I think the res race is about as silly as the megapixel race that the digital cameras are subject to. In the end, visual clarity is what counts and the less resolution you achieve that with, the better. Because GPUs can only do so much.

All this res race is basically trying to shift the burden of making up for imperfect optics by brute forcing it with raw GPU power. That can only go so far.

Those (Norm-Tested) that have tried all the new HMD`s inc. the Valve Index and the Reverb have said the Reverb surpasses all, and is the benchmark in clarity/fidelity as of today.

Those (Norm-Tested) that have tried all the new HMD`s inc. the Valve Index and the Reverb have said the Reverb surpasses all, and is the benchmark in clarity/fidelity as of today.

Curious as to where there is an actual comparison?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I watched the last couple videos from Tested and while they said the Reverb was the headset giving the best clarity, they never mentionned the XTAL but only the Rift and Index.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Guessing the Australian release will not be for the next few weeks either. Will be good to see what the reviews are. Currently have the CV1 and was going to get the Pimax 5 but they took so long I cancelled. Roll on reviews :book:

I watched the last couple videos from Tested and while they said the Reverb was the headset giving the best clarity, they never mentionned the XTAL but only the Rift and Index.

They never had hands on with XTAL as far as I know.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Tempting. Very tempting. I reckon the two camera tracking should be perfectly adequate for seated games, although some over at r/oculus are a bit sniffy about it.

If Rift S had the same screens.....

We can't play DCS :D

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

I am currently running the Odyssey with a very high supersampling rate (about 200% as suggested in the forums): that would correspond to the native HP reverb resolution! So am I right in assuming that the reverb will run at the same performance (roughly) without any supersampling? The main difference would then be no SDE and very readable instruments.

If you add the 50% perf increase patch + upcoming VUlkan (I have a 8th core cpu so a lot of room for multi-core improvements), my ryzen1800x+1080ti+SSD+32Gb3200Mhz RAM system should be able to handle the Reverb pretty decently (I enforce permanent motionreprojection with WMR so the target is 45fps). I will probably buy it once tested by other simmers.

99% of DCS VR users are not going to be paying ~5000 euro for the XTAL. Therefore it`s an non issue and exists outside the norms of such use. When you pick up yours you can get back to us with a review to see if it`s worth the price.

I am currently running the Odyssey with a very high supersampling rate (about 200% as suggested in the forums): that would correspond to the native HP reverb resolution! So am I right in assuming that the reverb will run at the same performance (roughly) without any supersampling? The main difference would then be no SDE and very readable instruments.

If you add the 50% perf increase patch + upcoming VUlkan (I have a 8th core cpu so a lot of room for multi-core improvements), my ryzen1800x+1080ti+SSD+32Gb3200Mhz RAM system should be able to handle the Reverb pretty decently (I enforce permanent motionreprojection with WMR so the target is 45fps). I will probably buy it once tested by other simmers.

I believe it would run the Reverb`s native resolution easier than using supersampling which is more taxing on the GPU resources. Personally I have a 2080 and expect it to be fine with the Reverb.

99% of DCS VR users are not going to be paying ~5000 euro for the XTAL. Therefore it`s an non issue and exists outside the norms of such use. When you pick up yours you can get back to us with a review to see if it`s worth the price.

It would still be cool to see a comparison review done on the XTAL, if for no other reason than to see how badly people are getting ripped off if they buy an XTAL.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

It would still be cool to see a comparison review done on the XTAL, if for no other reason than to see how badly people are getting ripped off if they buy an XTAL.

Calling the XTAL a ripoff isn't really fair. It's a small production run from a small company. HP is huge and has capital to invest in projects that may not be successful. I doubt XTAL is getting rich selling their headset.

I wonder what the price of an XTAL would be if produced in quantities.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Calling the XTAL a ripoff isn't really fair. It's a small production run from a small company. HP is huge and has capital to invest in projects that may not be successful. I doubt XTAL is getting rich selling their headset.

I was trying to make a joke. Looks like I failed. :doh:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I just "ordered" the Reverb from Amazon. Out of stock, so not sure when it will ship. I'll check the HP site at midnight since it says available on the 6th.

Can' wait to compare it to my P5K+. The narrower FOV concerns me, but we'll see.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just "ordered" the Reverb from Amazon. Out of stock, so not sure when it will ship. I'll check the HP site at midnight since it says available on the 6th.

Can' wait to compare it to my P5K+. The narrower FOV concerns me, but we'll see.

If you have tried the Odyssey I would like to get your review and comparison on it.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

You do realize I was replying to someone else claim right ? Reading all the comments posted in the thread before quoting some random post could be useful. Just sayin'

And for what it's worth, the XTAL will be available at a later date in a consumer version. They announced it several months ago when they unveiled that SweViver, VoodooDE and MRTV were involved in the development. Don't worry you won't spend $5.000 on the headset, just a mere $1.000/2000 (pure speculation of my own).

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Whoa there. There will be none of this "checking sites at midnight", waiting for the site to go live and none of the eager anticipation.:)

What is going to happen is everyone will show a little restraint and hold off for a few weeks, till the headset will arrive in the UK.

Then when the day arrives where I can get my hands on it, I shall get home from work and wash all the old engine oil and axle grease out of my hair in a leisurely shower.

I shall then eat a leisurely meal in front of the TV, having a relaxed conversation with the missus,before sauntering upstairs to fire up my PC and decide which vendor to order the Reverb from.

Once I have pulled the trigger, then everyone else can order theirs. I want a little decorum and civilised behaviour this time, not a load of people shouting, kicking and gouging like low rent stock and share traders in a trading pit.

I don't think my nerves could take another Oculus CV1 type pre order debacle.:cry:

:lol:

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

If you have tried the Odyssey I would like to get your review and comparison on it.

I've never tried the Odyssey+, just the Odyssey. I think you were talking about the O+?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Crap. I guess it's not May 6th Eastern time. So either it's Pacific (likely) or in the morning.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I've never tried the Odyssey+, just the Odyssey. I think you were talking about the O+?
Nope I meant the original odyssey, its what I have. On paper the odyssey seems to have higher resolution than the rift S but I'm curious to see how it compares.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

@hansangn - I own the o+. Its good. Like a solid b good. Good resolution, deep blacks. My only complaint is the softness for objects in the distance. SDE is low but the trade off is that general softness. I have an index on preorder to see if it is better.

Edited by Nagilem
Mistype

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Nope I meant the original odyssey, its what I have. On paper the odyssey seems to have higher resolution than the rift S but I'm curious to see how it compares.

I purchased Odyssey the week it came out, I think. But to my tired 53 year old eyes with astigmatism, I just didn't see any improvement. In the WMR home page, things seemed clearer, but it wasn't "oh wow!" clear. It may have been placebo effect. So after testing for about week, I decided to return it. However, others said that they saw a clear difference from CV1.

At this point, there is no reason to buy CV1. Rift S is around the corner, O+ is getting good reviews, Index/Reverb is also coming out.

CV1 was *VERY* good to me. No issues, works out of the box, tracking is good. But the resolution, once I tried P5K+, is something I can't go back to.

If you're thinking of the Odyssey, I would say go to Odyssey+. Or wait to see how Index/Reverb's of the world pan out. Again, there is a price difference, and I realize it has to factor in. Have fun.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I purchased Odyssey the week it came out, I think. But to my tired 53 year old eyes with astigmatism, I just didn't see any improvement. In the WMR home page, things seemed clearer, but it wasn't "oh wow!" clear. It may have been placebo effect. So after testing for about week, I decided to return it. However, others said that they saw a clear difference from CV1.

At this point, there is no reason to buy CV1. Rift S is around the corner, O+ is getting good reviews, Index/Reverb is also coming out.

CV1 was *VERY* good to me. No issues, works out of the box, tracking is good. But the resolution, once I tried P5K+, is something I can't go back to.

If you're thinking of the Odyssey, I would say go to Odyssey+. Or wait to see how Index/Reverb's of the world pan out. Again, there is a price difference, and I realize it has to factor in. Have fun.

Since I have the Odyssey already I don't think I would go to the odyssey +. I also have the first rift. I have astigmatism as well but only in my right eye.

I used to think things were blurry in both headsets until I wore my contacts and then the odyssey was the winner in resolution. Now I just got prescription lense adapter for it.

I will wait for reviews on rift S and reverb.