HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Hey everyone,

As mentioned earlier, I had an HP Reverb loaner coming this week and it arrived yesterday. Wow! This is truly a banner year for VR and the Reverb is a huge part of that. I can’t and won’t compare to other products, but here are some of my impressions after about an hour in the device:

• As expected, the resolution of the displays really sets it apart. Even in cockpits with very small texts, it is possible to read. Clarity is approaching 2D monitor levels and I could see no evidence of SDE. It is a GREAT VR device for DCS World. I personally did not notice any god rays and the blacks were quite deep.

• I’m personally a big fan of inside-out tracking. I don’t really “do” room-scale VR, so the ease of setup, maintenance of tracking, and freeing up USB ports is a huge plus for me.

• Even with the higher resolution, I did not notice any appreciable performance loss outside of my expectations given the nature of VR. Performance was quite good.

• I really can’t comment on the hand controllers because I don’t use them.

• Comfort was very nice and I felt very “at home”. There was also very little light bleed through the nose area which I appreciate.

• I have a rather narrow IPD (59), but I was still able to get a great setting.

Later this month I will send the device to our team to allow native support (no SteamVR requirement)

There are a growing number of outstanding VR options this year, and I believe it will come down to your budget available and the features you prize most. If outstanding resolution, inside-out tracking, and comfort rank high for you, I can certainly give the Reveb my stamp of approval.

Well done HP!

Thanks,

Wags

giphy.gif

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Great news. Mine arrives tomorrow.

I'm new to WMR-Bit confused as to what PD I should set in game and what SS to set in Steam VR.

Any suggestions?

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Hey everyone,

As mentioned earlier, I had an HP Reverb loaner coming this week and it arrived yesterday. Wow! This is truly a banner year for VR and the Reverb is a huge part of that. I can’t and won’t compare to other products, but here are some of my impressions after about an hour in the device:

• As expected, the resolution of the displays really sets it apart. Even in cockpits with very small texts, it is possible to read. Clarity is approaching 2D monitor levels and I could see no evidence of SDE. It is a GREAT VR device for DCS World. I personally did not notice any god rays and the blacks were quite deep.
  • I’m personally a big fan of inside-out tracking. I don’t really “do” room-scale VR, so the ease of setup, maintenance of tracking, and freeing up USB ports is a huge plus for me.
  • Even with the higher resolution, I did not notice any appreciable performance loss outside of my expectations given the nature of VR. Performance was quite good.
  • I really can’t comment on the hand controllers because I don’t use them.
  • Comfort was very nice and I felt very “at home”. There was also very little light bleed through the nose area which I appreciate.
  • I have a rather narrow IPD (59), but I was still able to get a great setting.

Later this month I will send the device to our team to allow native support (no SteamVR requirement)

There are a growing number of outstanding VR options this year, and I believe it will come down to your budget available and the features you prize most. If outstanding resolution, inside-out tracking, and comfort rank high for you, I can certainly give the Reveb my stamp of approval.

Well done HP!

Thanks,

Wags

Looks like it's gonna be a fun weekend then, CV1 > Reverb is gonna be one hell of a jump!:joystick:

Wags, was the version you tested with the VR improvement or without?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Wow what an endorsement! How does the whole native (non steamvr) thing work and what bonus does that give?

Not sure, but it could be like the native occulus support for WMR. Just one less thing to run/have overhead for. Probably will performance some at a guess.

Does this mean I have to run DCS from within Steam for VR to work with the Reverb? Bit confused here. :/

Yes, all WMR headsets currently have to do this with DCS. Check some of the Oddesey+ posts to see how to set it all up. Its a bit clunky from what I've read, but you basically do it once. I sure hope someone posts an idiots guide to how to do it before I get mine...

Great news. Mine arrives tomorrow.

I'm new to WMR-Bit confused as to what PD I should set in game and what SS to set in Steam VR.

Any suggestions?

Would like know myself. Can you tell me where they are available from? Can't find em online at all.

Yes, all WMR headsets currently have to do this with DCS. Check some of the Oddesey+ posts to see how to set it all up. Its a bit clunky from what I've read, but you basically do it once. I sure hope someone posts an idiots guide to how to do it before I get mine...

Yeah, this idiot will definitely need some guidance.

Still excited though :)

A small pie is soon eaten

So here is a thread that has alot of good stuff from the o+ for initial configs - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239020&highlight=odyssey+consolidated

@Harlikwin - I think it will be pretty easy to setup. You way want to remove all of the occulus software if you can. Other than that, plug in the headset, which should start up WMR. You download and install the SteamVR for WMR installer. When that finishes, you should be able to crank up DCS. The only thing left will be to start configuring your various settings to get the visuals where you want them. I suspect I will turn everything low, crank down SS to 100% and start with PD at 1.0 before trying anything else.

@Sohei - just be clear - you DO NOT NEED the steam version of DCS. I run SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality with a non Steam version (I bought it from digitalcombatsimulator.com) of DCS Open Beta. I think you could run either DCS version fine, but its not required.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Not sure, but it could be like the native occulus support for WMR. Just one less thing to run/have overhead for. Probably will performance some at a guess.

Good performance jump, aka frametimes will be much better. Steam vr slows things down with WMR and dcs. Seen this since ive had my OD+ Hence why Rift piping straight to dcs is a much efficient system. Thats great Wags and company will do the same for WMR as its very much needed.

:thumbup:

With reverb i would start with steamvr set to 100 percent on resolution and dcs world PD at 1.0 Thats some pixels you are pushing in that baby

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Sadly, the move to the 2.5.5 branch broke the VR optimization, so I've been unable to test that.

Thanks

I'm confused by that statement. All we've heard prior to this was that the VR optimisations were being tested on 2.5.5 and their release would have to wait till 2.5.5! Not quite sure how 2.5.5 'broke the VR optimisations' given that. Maybe I read wrongly!

Oh well.... patience again required.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm confused by that statement. All we've heard prior to this was that the VR optimisations were being tested on 2.5.5 and their release would have to wait till 2.5.5! Not quite sure how 2.5.5 'broke the VR optimisations' given that. Maybe I read wrongly!

Oh well.... patience again required.

I was under the same impression. This is a bit confusing.

Anyhew I'm now downloading DCS for Steam, which I haven't used in a good few years.

So here is a thread that has alot of good stuff from the o+ for initial configs - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239020&highlight=odyssey+consolidated

@Harlikwin - I think it will be pretty easy to setup. You way want to remove all of the occulus software if you can. Other than that, plug in the headset, which should start up WMR. You download and install the SteamVR for WMR installer. When that finishes, you should be able to crank up DCS. The only thing left will be to start configuring your various settings to get the visuals where you want them. I suspect I will turn everything low, crank down SS to 100% and start with PD at 1.0 before trying anything else.

@Sohei - just be clear - you DO NOT NEED the steam version of DCS. I run SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality with a non Steam version (I bought it from digitalcombatsimulator.com) of DCS Open Beta. I think you could run either DCS version fine, but its not required.

Hmm. Removing the occulus software... Thats seems odd, why would I have to? I can't run both? (not at the same time mind you)

Wow - I missed so much in the last five minutes!

@wags - thanks for the updates and Reverb impressions. That is awesome news! It would be great not having to use SteamVR for WMR anymore.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Sadly, the move to the 2.5.5 branch broke the VR optimization, so I've been unable to test that.

Thanks

Thanks. Thats good news, should work even better with the optimization then.

Can you post "approximate" settings you used? PD, trees, shadows, MSAA?

I was under the same impression. This is a bit confusing.

Anyhew I'm now downloading DCS for Steam, which I haven't used in a good few years.

You don't need to DL DCS for steam. Just steam VR.

From my understanding of statements on forums and discord the vr optimization when brought into the new build aka 2.5.5 well it broke or no longer works. So not sure if patch is released today or tomorrow that any vr optimizations exist....

More clarification would probably help

Ah that's great. Thank you so much for instruction. I'm glad I don't have to download DCS for Steam, my internet connection is pretty rubbish, stuck as I am out in the barren wilds of London, SMH.

@Harlikwin - I guess there really isn't a reason to unless the two products have some overlap with drivers or shared code in Windows10. You could probably try it first and see if anything strange happens.

For me, strange happenings = doubt in my mind in the voracity of my installation :). As such, I tend to be WAAYYY too careful and remove unneeded software.

From my understanding of statements on forums and discord the vr optimization when brought into the new build aka 2.5.5 well it broke or no longer works. So not sure if patch is released today or tomorrow that any vr optimizations exist....

More clarification would probably help

Mind you, if as Wags say there is no noticeable performance difference we can live without it for a bit longer anyway.

Mind you, if as Wags say there is no noticeable performance difference we can live without it for a bit longer anyway.

sorry but not everyone has his top system and weather you think so or not Gpu usage will increase dramatically running those resolutions in the reverb compared to others. 2080ti probably no problem with no increase in PD but since Wags didn't list his exact settings he used with the Reverb its all speculation.:thumbup: