HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Guys, I have now spent around 2 or 3 hours with the Reverb, and I'm not going to post my thoughts yet, as compared to my Vive Pro, they wouldn't be too complimentary at the moment!

I need some time to consider the situation in more detail. I'll try and post tomorrow.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Guys, I have now spent around 2 or 3 hours with the Reverb, and I'm not going to post my thoughts yet, as compared to my Vive Pro, they wouldn't be too complimentary at the moment!

I need some time to consider the situation in more detail. I'll try and post tomorrow.

Why? Is it because of performance?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Take your time to get everything together. I remember my initial review for the 2080ti. It wasn't the complete game changer that one expected, it needed adjusting and rethinking.

My thoughts on that review was that if you had a 980ti or below, it was worth the upgrade. If you had a 1080ti, better wait for the next gen as it was not worth it.

Are you finding the same? Big improvement over gen one (Rift, Vive) but not as noticeable for those with gen1.5?

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Why not? Don't need a full review, but initial observations would be interesting as we are all dying for info, and if you are having an issue someone may be able to assist. Generally WMR has too many tradeoffs for me for my everyday HMD, but for DCS and flight sims I was beginning to think it might be better than Index (I have June 28 slot for Index). I am tired of running two HMDs, one for roomscale (rift), one for DCS (O+), but if Reverb is that good for sims, well, so be it. Doubt i'll be giving up Index, but maybe its an excuse for a sim rig next to roomscale area

Besides - we have similar specs (I'm identical to Wags just with a little better lottery luck), and my primary concern about Reverb was performance in DCS with that many pixels, having to drop MSAA to maintain acceptable FPS, introducing flicker and such, so I am very curious how well it runs.

The overarching metric for me is to determine the point where clarity at center is "good enough " to clearly read MFDs without zooming, such that other factors like edge to edge clarity, FOV, sound quality, comfort, build quality, and other factors come into play. My gripe with VR thus far is having to look around and center everything i'm looking at, especially with the bino effect. IRL I glance at my instrument rotation by quickly moving my eyes, not my whole head - then wait a second or two for ghosting to fade and image to become clear. Like in the f-14, I want to be able to read airspeed in my peripheral vision with my head up, looking outside the cockpit.

Also sound - how is the sound? Perceived FOV?

Wags if you are reading this as we run identical hardware I'd be curious about what type of FPS you were seeing and whether you had to adjust your settings. I assume you dropped MSAA down to 2 at least and lowered pd? Were you able to keep all textures/view distance maxed? Any jaggies of visual anomalies?

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Time to start saving for a Vive Cosmos...?

Guys, I have now spent around 2 or 3 hours with the Reverb, and I'm not going to post my thoughts yet...

What??? Is it a trend? Everything is getting postponed here...

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

What??? Is it a trend? Everything is getting postponed here...

Soon....

:lol:

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Soon....

You mean in 2 weeks.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Time to start saving for a Vive Cosmos...?

Or XTAL, and we could all have linebacker necks from wearing it a few hours a day...

But seriously, the actual competition is Index v. Reverb - but until all NDAs are lifted and both are shipped we aren't getting an unbiased/objective comparison. Even then, if 100% sim different than mixed use, and in that rare set of circumstances, Most seem compelled to defend the purchase decision, rather than provide objective insight

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Well maybe he forgot the warpsetting. Definitly about settings. Pc, dcs or wmr. Or issue with the new beta. We will see. I defenitly go for the reviews from Wags and Mrtv. No worries here. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Another factor is people that dont wear their glasses or contact lenses while in the headset. Not the most common but I've met a lit of people who said they couldn't see a difference in the odyssey vs Cv1 rift because they thought they didn't have to wear their prescription glasses or lenses while in VR. That's why the review can be subjective for every person.

So I just had time to set up the Reverb and have a quick blast before bedtime. First impressions very positive. For me much more comfortable than the Rift S, generally smaller and lighter, like a lighter leaner CV1. Visuals, very crisp indeed, about the same step up from the S as the S was from the CV1. I'd say it is on a par with my old 27" 1080p monitor, I can see the screen grid looking at a smooth white wall but it's not intrusive and barely noticeable in games. Sound is decent, maybe a slight notch below the CV1 phones, but a hundred times better than the S. They flip up nicely out of the way too. The lens sweet spot was easy to find, there is some chromatic aberration around the edges but nothing too distracting to me. FoV pretty much the same as CV1/Rift S.

Installation worked fine and I was up and running in about 10min.

Performance in DCS seemed fine, not massively different to the S in fact, running medium settings, I was getting reasonable fps, but that's without any tweaking, but I certainly found it playable. Cockpit detail was excellent and spotting distant aircraft was much better. I've not tried the lock to 60fps as I've only just found that in the software. I tried PC2, DCS World and Aerofly FS2 and all ran fine, so I'd imagine anyone with 1080ti spec PCs would easily be able to find playable settings. I couldn't get Dirt Rally going in VR, is that Oculus only?

I'll get some more time in over the weekend but so far I'm pretty pleased with it. If I had gone from CV1 to Reverb, I'd be amazed, but the Rift S does have a pretty good screen. It feels like a proper successor to the CV1 and is lighter and more comfortable by a large margin for me personally.

Also, even though I ordered and paid for a consumer version, they sent me the pro, with the leather face pad and the additional shorter cable.

Edited by John Hargreaves

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Thanks John

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Sounds good seeing as you have a 2080 so that doesn't worry me too much. One thing I would try is setting the main fps killer settings low like shadows/traffic and bumping the others up to see if it still plays smooth. With some tweaking I think it will still have decent performance.

So I just had time to set up the Reverb and have a quick blast before bedtime. First impressions very positive. For me much more comfortable than the Rift S, generally smaller and lighter, like a lighter leaner CV1. Visuals, very crisp indeed, about the same step up from the S as the S was from the CV1. I'd say it is on a par with my old 27" 1080p monitor, I can see the screen grid looking at a smooth white wall but it's not intrusive and barely noticeable in games. Sound is decent, maybe a slight notch below the CV1 phones, but a hundred times better than the S. They flip up nicely out of the way too. The lens sweet spot was easy to find, there is some chromatic aberration around the edges but nothing too distracting to me.

Performance in DCS seemed fine, not massively different to the S in fact, running medium settings, I was getting reasonable fps, but that's without any tweaking, but I certainly found it playable. Cockpit detail was excellent and spotting distant aircraft was much better. I've not tried the lock to 60fps as I've only just found that in the software. I tried PC2, DCS World and Aerofly FS2 and all ran fine, so I'd imagine anyone with 1080ti spec PCs would easily be able to find playable settings. I couldn't get Dirt Rally going in VR, is that Oculus only?

I'll get some more time in over the weekend but so far I'm pretty pleased with it. If I had gone from CV1 to Reverb, I'd be amazed, but the Rift S does have a pretty good screen. It feels like a proper successor to the CV1 and is lighter and more comfortable by a large margin for me personally.

Also, even though I ordered and paid for a consumer version, they sent me the pro, with the leather face pad and the additional shorter cable.

Very interesting and overall positive. Thank you John!

A small pie is soon eaten

So I just had time to set up the Reverb...

Thanks for the review! BTW, what is your IPD?

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

Thanks for this review. Sounds good so far; I'm interested to learn how it works for eye-glass wearers...

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some people are posting informative reviews while others are giving their verbal version of an unboxing video, which I always find moronic. Informative info for those of us waiting to purchase same and less waffle should be the order of the day.

Thanks for this review. Sounds good so far; I'm interested to learn how it works for eye-glass wearers...
Depending on how thick your glasses are you should be able to get it on your face with them on. I let a coworker borrow my CV1 and he said it was tight but he just got the rift S and said it was much easier. Seeing how the reverb has the velcro straps for adjustment, and also a much lighter headset with a bit of a swivel up, I don't see any issue trying it with glasses.

My main glasses are too thick in the frame but I only wear glasses at home, contact lenses outside. I'm sure pretty soon you will be able purchase prescription lense adapters that slide in the Reverb. I have them for the odyssey and they are great because I can come home, take out my contacts and not worry if I want to fly in dcs later in the day.

All the Shopblt.com preorders for the HP Reverb changed today from June 12 to June 21 ETA. So my preorder will be waiting. I'll have to research a new video card anyway as I have a 1080.

My 1920X Threadripper runs DCS pretty well. The reported 2080Ti failure rates are a bit of a concern.

The future should be great for the Reverb after VR map patches and then when native VR support arrives for it in DCS.

So I just had time to set up the Reverb and have a quick blast before bedtime. First impressions very positive. For me much more comfortable than the Rift S, generally smaller and lighter, like a lighter leaner CV1. Visuals, very crisp indeed, about the same step up from the S as the S was from the CV1. I'd say it is on a par with my old 27" 1080p monitor, I can see the screen grid looking at a smooth white wall but it's not intrusive and barely noticeable in games. Sound is decent, maybe a slight notch below the CV1 phones, but a hundred times better than the S. They flip up nicely out of the way too. The lens sweet spot was easy to find, there is some chromatic aberration around the edges but nothing too distracting to me.

Thanks for the info.

HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

For anyone with the headset, can you check what kind of FPS you get on the ground with the default VR setting? Let’s try to standardize a bit, say, by running the first tutorial mission with the planes that you have (Hornet, Tomcat, Hawg, etc.)

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Some people are posting informative reviews while others are giving their verbal version of an unboxing video, which I always find moronic. Informative info for those of us waiting to purchase same and less waffle should be the order of the day.

And yet look at the post directly above the one you posted. I believe I answered the question he asked as one of the more pressing ones for a lot of people who wear glasses.

What you see as waffle is a logical progression. Allow me to explain a logical progression...

People have different perspectives as to what is most important.

I was not going to comment at all, but on looking for reviews on this thread myself, I came across doubts as to whether this release was the genuine article or not. I was able to answer that question, so posted.

The "unboxing" part (mentioning a blue box) that you find moronic was qualifying my answer with actual hands on experience of the product.

The fit and feel part was me thinking I gotta toss them a bit more info than that, but no time to connect it up; maybe I can comment on spectacle wearers and the suitability of the Reverb for them, so I quickly took it out of its box and tried it on wearing glasses that would not fit in the Rift. Glasses question answered - it looks like the rift, but can accommodate glasses much better.

What other info can I offer while I have the headset on? General first impressions of comfort.

The bit about the wife was her pacing around downstairs impatiently with her coat on,waiting to go do the monthly shop and me hurriedly trying to explain why I had so little to offer you lot who must be hungry for information on here. I foolishly thought that any little scrap of info and any questions answered were better than none.

My posting style has always been more conversational, rather than bullet point factual. I will not change that.

However....

It seems I must try harder. :doh:

Edited by Tinkickef

Thank You John, I apperciate it and Your time to wrote this.

Some here just put info "I have it" and thats all (what do we have from this? Dont know, its only take our time) so thx John and it... looks promising. :)

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro