HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

So I've spent some time now with the Reverb. As stated earlier my fantastic FPS vanished maybe with the update last week or with SteamVR switching from 60Hz to 90Hz. I haven't had a blackout for a long time although I've spent several hours with the headset. I still have flickering on the right eye from time to time, last only a couple of minutes. And a stuck/dead pixel on the right eye. The intermittent sound I've probably fixed by tightening the screws that fix the headphones to the headset. The visuals are stunning and I love flying DCS now. The only thing missing is the new Hornet stick and all the HOrnet gadgets...

I called HP support Scandinavia for an update on my inquiry. I was too optimistic after my first chat with them and the two days express shipping of a gen 2 wasn't real. Now we're looking at 24th of July and probably gen 1. But, I don't mind as the ones I have kind of works.

I have a fully functional Reverb and am loving it. After much tweaking over the past month I have got the framerate to a reasonably stable 45 fps and although performance is not as smooth as my CV1, the increased clarity and SDE reduction more than makes up for the slightly juddery game play. My IPD is 63 and to me the sweet spot is a significantly improved over the CV1.

I have only experienced the image flickering issue once and have since not been able to replicate the conditions that caused it - I hope it stays that way! I planning to keep hold of my Reverb for now as the other gen 1.5 HMDs simply cannot compete with it in terms of resolution.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone notice any difference in clarity with the Windows update on the Reverb?

July 9, 2019—KB4507453 (OS Build 18362.239)

Applies to: Windows 10, version 1903 Windows Server version 1903

Release Date:July 9, 2019

Version:OS Build 18362.239

Note Follow @WindowsUpdate to find out when new content is published to the release information dashboard.

Note This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 18362.1024) released July 9, 2019. Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability on Microsoft HoloLens that have not updated to this most recent OS Build.

For more information about the various types of Windows updates, such as critical, security, driver, service packs, etc., please see the following article.

Highlights

Updates an issue with a tilted world some Mixed Reality users may see after connecting their headsets.

Updates the visual quality issues some users may have when using Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets with Steam®VR content.

Updates an issue with BitLocker encryption recovery mode.

Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, wireless technologies, and Microsoft Office products.

Improvements and fixes

This update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:

Addresses an issue that may cause BitLocker to go into recovery mode if BitLocker is being provisioned at the same time as updates are being installed.

Addresses an issue that may cause Mixed Reality users to see a tilted world after connecting their headsets.

Addresses visual quality issues some users may have seen with Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets and Steam®VR content.

Security updates to Windows Wireless Networking, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Server, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Kernel, Microsoft HoloLens, Internet Explorer, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Virtualization, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Microsoft Edge, and Windows Cryptography.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Win 1903 issues are now fixed. My Reverb just rocks...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1640915206497451607/

Stop it :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Got my refund today from HP, so their support/returns process has been pretty damn efficient to be fair to them.

But I've got no VR, and going back to flying in 2d is just downright depressing. I'll use the time to do some CDU training I guess.

A small pie is soon eaten

Stop it :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Got my refund today from HP, so their support/returns process has been pretty damn efficient to be fair to them.

But I've got no VR, and going back to flying in 2d is just downright depressing. I'll use the time to do some CDU training I guess.

Eh I'm there waiting along with you. Haven't put on my odyssey in months. Now that the bug for wmr is fixed maybe I'll continue the enemy within 3.0 campaign one day. Was really hoping the new hmd would help me out with clarity and stuff. Looks like we will see what happens by September.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Anyone know when the Reverb will become available/in stock again? Desperate to get my hands on one

General consensus now is that we're probably in for a 2 month wait.

The Acer conceptd OJO headset has the same resolution displays and perhaps we'll hear something about that soon.

Anyone know when the Reverb will become available/in stock again? Desperate to get my hands on one

ShopBLT just moved most of their expected stock to mid September.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

How is the 3d effect in the Reverb? I know this question has been brought up before, but a lot more people have these headsets now and I would like to hear multiple opinions.

I remember hearing the 3d effect wasn't as good as the Rift and more like strapping an lcd panel to your face.

I have CV1, S and Reverb. Can’t see any 3D effect differences.

How is the 3d effect in the Reverb? I know this question has been brought up before, but a lot more people have these headsets now and I would like to hear multiple opinions.

I remember hearing the 3d effect wasn't as good as the Rift and more like strapping an lcd panel to your face.

It's awsome, like being there. After landing I sometimes raise tha canopy and "step" out of the cockpit to look around the bird, it blows my mind every time...

This is certainly not my experience with the Reverb. As a CV1 owner I can confirm that the 3D effect of the Reverb is no different from the Rift. In fact, if anything the 3D effect of Reverb is improved because of the amazing clarity and ability to make out distant objects.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is certainly not my experience with the Reverb. As a CV1 owner I can confirm that the 3D effect of the Reverb is no different from the Rift. In fact, if anything the 3D effect of Reverb is improved because of the amazing clarity and ability to make out distant objects.

I found no discernible difference in the 3d effect between the Reverb and the Rift CV1. Looked amazing to me. When it worked :(

I just got notified that Best Buy has the consumer version is stock and is shipping. Delivery this Saturday July 13th to me. It's listed at 599.99 but I can get it for 539.99 because it's my birthday month (10% off). Also, I am an Elite Plus Best Buy member so I have a 45 day no question return policy and 12 month interest free payment plus I get some additional Best Buy Rewards as an Elite Plus member.

I just ordered it for Saturday delivery. Is that funny or what?

Now I will have one that hopefully works most of the time through nearly the end of August. Lets see what happens then. The negative is it is only a one year warranty. I saved about $100 over the Pro cost direct to HP without the discount only I didn't pay out a penny.

Best Buy

Ship to Home Items

Thanks for your order on 07/10/19

HP - Reverb Virtual Reality Headset for Compatible Windows PCs

Model: 5QB37AA#ABA

Qty Price

1 $539.99

Sat 7/13

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

I just got notified that Best Buy has the consumer version is stock and is shipping. Delivery this Saturday July 13th to me. It's listed at 599.99 but I can get it for 539.99 because it's my birthday month (10% off). Also, I am an Elite Plus Best Buy member so I have a 45 day no question return policy and 12 month interest free payment plus I get some additional Best Buy Rewards as an Elite Plus member.

Now I will have one that hopefully works most of the time through nearly the end of August. Lets see what happens then. The negative is it is only a one year warranty. I saved about $100 over the Pro cost direct to HP without the discount only I didn't pay out a penny.

Best Buy

Ship to Home Items

Qty Price

1 $539.99

Sat 7/13

Nice! Keep us posted!

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Are there still issues with connectivity with the reverb?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Best Buy

Ship to Home Items

QtyPrice

1$539.99

Sat 7/13

Why would this consumer version be different than the first wave of units that were shipped out? Anyway I wish you luck. I'm guessing best buy may have got old stock?

If anything happens after the 15 day return window I don't know if you get the same warranty perks as the pro model from HP.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Consumerl Reverb came in stock at Best Buy online today from a email notification and when I clicked on the link I put it in the cart for turds and giggles, it was already sold out. Sure its version one and expect to see more complaints on reddit soon. Some of them Best Buy poor folks are in for a surprise.

edit: Just saw Secoda post above say the same thing and he got one from Best Buy, so how did you already leave a review for the reverb with 4 stars that was practically glowing after you sent your first one back? Don't you think your review should reflect you sent it back too so other people looking to buy know?

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I have an HP Reverb on order from Shop BLT since 3 June. Last week the order status changed ship dates to the end of August and early September. Today I checked and one shipment is coming in on 7/20. Hopefully, I will finally get to try it out. I want one ... even if I have to secure the cable at the headset and at the PC. I missed the Best Buy "in stock" window as well.

What is wrong with this review? I think it is accurate. It is from a week ago and you cannot update reviews. I will post another one on the unit I receive on Saturday from Best Buy and mention the first one went back to HP because it ran out of refund days with no ETA for the fix but only after I have used it for a few weeks and at least twenty hours if it works. It took a while for a problem to show up on the first one. This review is dead on IMO. :thumbup:

There is a lot of pent up demand for the Reverb. I ordered it within fifteen minutes of receiving the Best Buy email. I am considering it a free 45 day loaner until it proves otherwise. On the Best Buy page it says that people "People ultimately bought" a Rift S (with the Reverb Sold Out).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-reverb-virtual-reality-headset-for-compatible-windows-pcs/6346254.p?skuId=6346254

4/5 stars

Great But Some Early Flaws To Fix

Posted 1 week ago.

I purchased the HP Reverb Pro directly from HP and received it on 6/10. One of the lucky few. Nothing currently touches it for resolution and clarity. Not the Pimax 5K or Valve Index Or Hive Pro. SDE is basically gone with the Reverb. IMO if you are using this for a sit down sim (I use it for DCS World where clarity is king) this is currently the best headset available or coming out at the moment. (Things change quickly in the VR space) The big positives are clarity/high resolution and light weight. It works well with glasses and some of the others don't (tight on sides or glasses hit lenses requiring adjusting). The negatives are the heavy cable and the first batch is having some issues (flickering/screen blacking) that HP is working through which is why they were delayed. It does not have a physical adjustable IPD so if your IPD is far out of the "normal" range that might be an issue. It uses inside tracking which may or may not work well for your application (I prefer it over external bases for tracking). Great for sit-down sims but not as good for stand-up games where motion is involved. The controllers are the standard WMR units which are not as good as some of the others. I don't use them at all for DCS. The colors are decent for LCD lenses but not as great as OLED if that is important to you. The blacks aren't bad.

Consumerl Reverb came in stock at Best Buy online today from a email notification and when I clicked on the link I put it in the cart for turds and giggles, it was already sold out. Sure its version one and expect to see more complaints on reddit soon. Some of them Best Buy poor folks are in for a surprise.

edit: Just saw Secoda post above say the same thing and he got one from Best Buy, so how did you already leave a review for the reverb with 4 stars that was practically glowing after you sent your first one back? Don't you think your review should reflect you sent it back too so other people looking to buy know?

Edited by Secoda

You sent yours back........4/5 stars :doh:

What is wrong with this review? I think it is accurate. It is from a week ago and you cannot update reviews. I will post another one on the unit I receive on Saturday from Best Buy and mention the first one went back to HP because it ran out of refund days with no ETA for the fix but only after I have used it for a few weeks and at least twenty hours if it works. It took a while for a problem to show up on the first one. This review is dead on IMO. :thumbup:

There is a lot of pent up demand for the Reverb. I ordered it within fifteen minutes of receiving the Best Buy email. I am considering it a free 45 day loaner until it proves otherwise. On the Best Buy page it says that people "People ultimately bought" a Rift S (with the Reverb Sold Out).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-reverb-virtual-reality-headset-for-compatible-windows-pcs/6346254.p?skuId=6346254

4/5 stars

Great But Some Early Flaws To Fix

Posted 1 week ago.

I purchased the HP Reverb Pro directly from HP and received it on 6/10. One of the lucky few. Nothing currently touches it for resolution and clarity. Not the Pimax 5K or Valve Index Or Hive Pro. SDE is basically gone with the Reverb. IMO if you are using this for a sit down sim (I use it for DCS World where clarity is king) this is currently the best headset available or coming out at the moment. (Things change quickly in the VR space) The big positives are clarity/high resolution and light weight. It works well with glasses and some of the others don't (tight on sides or glasses hit lenses requiring adjusting). The negatives are the heavy cable and the first batch is having some issues (flickering/screen blacking) that HP is working through which is why they were delayed. It does not have a physical adjustable IPD so if your IPD is far out of the "normal" range that might be an issue. It uses inside tracking which may or may not work well for your application (I prefer it over external bases for tracking). Great for sit-down sims but not as good for stand-up games where motion is involved. The controllers are the standard WMR units which are not as good as some of the others. I don't use them at all for DCS. The colors are decent for LCD lenses but not as great as OLED if that is important to you. The blacks aren't bad.

But I bought another one immediately (just a change in terms of the sale). :D The Reverb is that good for DCS after I tried a Valve Index and Rift S. I would not buy one of them unless they were the only game in town. The old adage - you can't un-see it after you've seen it. ;-)

You sent yours back........4/5 stars :doh:

Edited by Secoda

But I bought another one immediately (just a change in terms of the sale). :D The Reverb is that good for DCS after I tried a Valve Index and Rift S. I would not buy one of them unless they were the only game in town. The old you can't un-see it after you've seen it. ;-)

I really hope you get a version two since it looks like BB must have just got these from HP.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

That would be nice but I am not holding my breath on that. I am more taking advantage of my Elite Plus status at Best Buy and treating a new product defect as an opportunity.

I talked to a Geek Squad guy I know and he liked what I was doing. I put in a home theater in late winter 2019 and had spent a goodly sum at a Magnolia Best Buy (their home theater stores). I did some fancy discounting, returns, and swapping back then too. I saved a few grand.

The markup on electronics is pretty crazy (like furniture) so I try never to pay full price unless the item is in very short supply and high demand like the Reverb is. $650 is high for a VR headset and controllers IMO. $1000 for an Index at 1600 x 1400 res is a bit as you say. :doh:

With discounts, Rewards, and no interest payments over 12 months I figure the Reverb is just below about $500 now. $400 would be better. If it has some "issue" still Best Buy is much more able to discount it for a repair on a new item from my past experiences with them than HP is willing to do. I got a huge discount on a laptop from BB that way. I could not get HP to budge on anything.

QUOTE=Naruto;3975646]I really hope you get a version two since it looks like BB must have just got these from HP.

Edited by Secoda

I got shipping notification (Text message and email) on the Reverb from Best Buy. UPS.

Edited by Secoda