HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I got shipping notification (Text message and email) on the Reverb from Best Buy. UPS.
Will be looking forward to what you have to say about this model. My best buy didn't even have any in stock in my area.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Thanks.

I got a notification from one of the VR headset reviewers on YouTube that the main buttons on the controllers for the Valve Index are designed wrong and he is telling everyone to get them replaced since they are near $300. :cry: The main buttons don't click and are hard to press when not near the center. Apparently, this makes them near impossible to use in certain popular games. Valve is saying that is the way they are designed but is being pressured to fix them.

Even the WMR controllers which aren't that great have the main buttons that do work correctly. I don't use them but for the price many aren't too happy with the Index controllers. It's amazing that these things are in development for so long and still slip through the cracks.

I hope you have a good experience this time!

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Everyone's in a big hurry to get their headset to market so they're compromising on QC in various areas. Ironically this is good thing for us in the long run, to know that so many manufacturers are so competitive to corner the market means there could be some really interesting products on the horizon.

A small pie is soon eaten

Personally I take that witha pinch of salt. I'll see for myself when mine arrives, but those who are using it as intended by Valve are saying they have no issues with the no clicking.

Anyway -as this is the Reverb thread, that's enough Index talk from me.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I've been pretty lucky with mine so far and I'm really happy with it. Haven't had any of the gremlins that you read about, and the clarity is just so good. I love the comfort of it compared to the Rift S, and the distant detail I see is the best I've experienced in VR. I have a little test mission that I use to compare performance, and there are planes I now see in the sky that I never even noticed before with the CV1.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Is it the Standard or Professional?

I've been pretty lucky with mine so far and I'm really happy with it. Haven't had any of the gremlins that you read about, and the clarity is just so good. I love the comfort of it compared to the Rift S, and the distant detail I see is the best I've experienced in VR. I have a little test mission that I use to compare performance, and there are planes I now see in the sky that I never even noticed before with the CV1.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

HP online store show in-stock couple of times this week. Still hesitant to order. Anyone get an improved version please tell us on this thread.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

If you pay the extra $50 for the Pro it is a 3 yr warranty. It just the hassle of boxing it up shipping it off and being without for a while. I have no doubt they will fix them.

Lets see what I get from Best Buy tomorrow as a second one. :joystick:

HP online store show in-stock couple of times this week. Still hesitant to order. Anyone get an improved version please tell us on this thread.

Exactly! I did a similar test with the Valve Index someone brought over. It's a big difference with the 2160 x 2160 resolution on the Reverb. You don't even know the planes are there (well maybe radar) with the lower resolution. I sat there and compared them back-to-back. For me with glasses the horizontal FOV's were very similar.

Edited by Secoda

One guy in our squadron ordered when they went In-Stock for a bit on the US HP Store and then got an email the next morning that they really weren't. LOL

thinking about the reverb. What will be better ? an RTX 2080 super of 8 GB or the RTX 2080Ti with 11 GB. The super must be approached very much in processing capacity .... but for the 4K of the reverb ... will those extra 3 Gb be necessary?

I would think the Ti is better although the difference in VR in DCS is minimal IMO. JayTwoCents (YouTube PC guru) claims the extra VRAM helps minimize stutter if app uses most of it like DCS. I don't really know if that is true. DCS seems to gobble up whatever is available - maybe as a cache.

UPS sent me an email a while ago on the 2nd Reverb that delivery between 2 pm and 6 pm tomorrow.

thinking about the reverb. What will be better ? an RTX 2080 super of 8 GB or the RTX 2080Ti with 11 GB. The super must be approached very much in processing capacity .... but for the 4K of the reverb ... will those extra 3 Gb be necessary?

I have a 2080Ti 11GB, the other day I checked and DCS used 9 ish GBs.

Clarity vise with the Reverb I bought a test room for SteamVR. Different tests for VR headsets. As I did the regular vision test I ended up with 20/20 vision at 4 meters. The perfect would be 5 meters. However, that is darn close. In DCS I have no problems seeing what I want to see. I have previous experience with Odyssey +. They were kind of acceptable with PD 1.8 etc and were really testing my system. Gave me around 30 FPS. Now I've PD 150% in SteamVR, 1.0 in DCS. and have FPS around 60.

What was the Odyssey Plus vision rating?

I have a 2080Ti 11GB, the other day I checked and DCS used 9 ish GBs.

Clarity vise with the Reverb I bought a test room for SteamVR. Different tests for VR headsets. As I did the regular vision test I ended up with 20/20 vision at 4 meters. The perfect would be 5 meters. However, that is darn close. In DCS I have no problems seeing what I want to see. I have previous experience with Odyssey +. They were kind of acceptable with PD 1.8 etc and were really testing my system. Gave me around 30 FPS. Now I've PD 150% in SteamVR, 1.0 in DCS. and have FPS around 60.

Edited by Secoda

Make sure you have the win 10 1903 update with the KB fix for blurriness. Really helps the Odyssey+ with Steam SS at 200%

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Is there any official statment from HP regarding the hardware issues??

:music_whistling::music_whistling:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Make sure you have the win 10 1903 update with the KB fix for blurriness. Really helps the Odyssey+ with Steam SS at 200%
I am seeing great improvements with the latest windows patch with the O+.

Steam SS at 200%? Now that is level I like to try and see with my average system.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Not a large US company. If this was regulated like food, medical, or safety issue then maybe. It would just be a spotlight on any issues by making some statement - even to the buyers. They issued a support bulletin if you look for it that kind of covers the issue but blames something else. Typical large corporation.

My first Lenovo Explorer nearly shorted out my MB. They had USB shorts and the plug got very hot. It was very common. A Rift S is really a Lenovo. :-) You won;t avoid this on a new product with any of them. Switching to a different one because you had a problem with another is likely not solving anything. One problem for another. They all have warranties and will be fixed. Go with what you think is the best unit for your needs.

I see my 2nd Reverb is "Out for Delivery" already on the UPS truck.

Is there any official statment from HP regarding the hardware issues??

:music_whistling::music_whistling:

Edited by Secoda

Here I go again. The cable looks identical to the first one.

ZOKQ61r.jpg

Here I go again. The cable looks identical to the first one.

brave man, and good luck! hope all is well! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Ok - first flight so to speak on Reverb #2.

1. The new Reverb works perfectly but then so did Reverb #1 for quite a while. Only time will tell. I think I will stabilize the connector with supports on each side and black electrical tape so it is like a cast and can't ever move. The USB plug does seem tighter (the first one moved up and down somewhat) in the PC port but I supported it anyways.

2. SteamVR Settings for video are completely changed with the various updates. To me it looks like WMR/SteamVR was not coded for the Reverb specifically before but now it is. See image below.

3. Clarity is spectacular. I will say there is a slight improvement in clarity but it was already so clear to begin with. A 10% improvement as was suggested for the 1903 fix seems reasonable. (I will try an eye chart test) To me looking at the main menu in DCS is just like looking at the monitor now in VR (also looking at the desktop in the cliff house is the same deal - very clear and no SDE. There was also a tiny bit of shimmer on the left wall in the cliff house when you first appeared there and now it is gone. Obviously, they improved some things but I think that is more WMR and SteamVR than a headset change). Flying the F-18 in Free Flight I am noticing that there is virtually no shimmer at all now but there was only a little before. I may try MSAA off instead of 2X in DCS with this slight change. I will check the carrier deck first. I changed no settings other than the resolution below in SteamVR. FPS is similar. I am still seeing 45 FPS reported by DCS with reprojection on (so you are always seeing 90 FPS). I will do some testing with it off.

4. SteamVR - I had it originally at 180%-188% to get it close to 2160 x 2160. Now it recommends 106% which gives it 2592 x 2536. Go figure. (I will try to lower it to 2160 x 2160 to see if there is any effect on performance and quality/clarity) I know that the headset only receives the native 2160 x 2160 with each frame to minimize processing according to how SteamVR used to be so I have a project to figure out what is happening between WMR, SteamVR, and DCS in terms of how it works by gathering some current info from the vendors. I just have not seen a good comprehensive write-up yet. Plus with so many updates it appears things have changed.

5. This baby really rocks in DCS! I hope it stays that way. :smilewink:

I guess the Standard Reverb has a bit different label than the Professional. The only noticeable difference between the two is the material on the face pad and missing the backpack cable. Both feel the same (cloth vs leatherette). Very comfortable. I loosened the straps way up right away and the fit is perfect with glasses. I tried it four separate times now and it always stays at 90 Hz so far. HP told me Steam was making a lot changes for the Reverb. I know the that passthrough camera is still not yet implemented in SteamVR but HP and the Reverb supports it. (It is in the Index but Valve developed/owns Steam) That may be a good reason to move away from SteamVR.

kSMvDn9.jpg

Edited by Secoda

giphy.gif
The gif says the whole wow experience.

Enjoy the wonders of VR in Reverb.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset