HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43948-reverb-new-offering-from-hp/page/10/

Dear customer,

I’d like to give you an update on the backorder for the HP Reverb. Unfortunately, the time it takes for HP to replace all cables is longer than expected. In the systems, it says now that production wil be restarted mid August, which means we will receive stocks no sooner than end of August.

on the bright side, this means they are fixing it, so that is good

(I'm also hoping to hear something about the Cosmos... in particular it's price point)

Edited by USA_Recon

As shipped from HP, the package is 9 pounds actual weight, 13 pounds dimensional weight (20" X 18" X 7").

Thanks, you’re a gentleman. :thumbup:

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43948-reverb-new-offering-from-hp/page/10/

on the bright side, this means they are fixing it, so that is good

(I'm also hoping to hear something about the Cosmos... in particular it's price point)

As much as I miss having my Reverb around, I'm happy to think I'll eventually reorder and have a fixed cable and various other gremlins sorted so it will be a much smoother experience (fingers crossed).

A small pie is soon eaten

I have to send mine back Tuesday .....I may have to go outside till' Sept ....WTF! :D

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I received mine last week from Amazon (ordered back in April). It worked for about 30 minutes. Cord came unplugged twice. Tried it again and WMR said the video cable needed to be connected. Couldn’t get it to work. For the few minutes I did use it I found it to be clear in the sweet spot, but the peripheral was noto only more blurry than the rift S. It looked nice, but thought it felt uncomfortable and cheap. I debated keeping it and just “making it work” but I want something that i don’t have to jimmy rig to get to work properly if I’m going to spend that much money when I was content with the Rift S. Reverb is on it’s way back to Amazon and I can’t recommend it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the guys who had some others headset before, what do you think of Reverb’s sweet spot please ?

And do you know your IPD for reference ?

Thanks.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

1440 x 1700 resolution per eye.

https://www.vive.com/us/cosmos/

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

There are some of them in the US. I am on my 2nd one.

Amazon has it hidden until HP gets their act together on shipping quantities and dates Amazon told me a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Reverb-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B07R768KJP/ref=pd_ybh_a_39?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W3YP9QJP11W8TVRY6JJH

I think he's the only one in the US with one. Amazon is out BB, HP, and shopBLT is showing September for availability.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

For the guys who had some others headset before, what do you think of Reverb’s sweet spot please ?

Thanks.

My IPD is 65.5 It's a little off center, to be accurate: meaning my left and right IPD is slightly different.

I've had Rift, Vive, Original Odyssey, P5K+ and now Reverb.

I don't know that there is a huge problem with the sweet spot. I haven't tried my P5K+ ever since I got the reverb, and I don't want to try it again. I've "forgotten" about the wider FoV and don't want to be reminded of it, just to test the sweet spot. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks.

Sweet spot was no better than my Vive Pro, i.e. not great!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks.

having owned DK2, CV1, Pimax 4K, Odyssey+, Pimax 5k+

Plus having an IPD of 65 I find the sweet spot better in the Reverb than all but the CV1. I think a lot of that is down to IPD. I never really noticed a sweet spot at all in the CV1 but that maybe down to the screen door that covered it. It was great but it seems old now compared to the Reverb.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Thanks guys.

About the sweet spot in CV1: in the M-2000C, looking through the HUD, by reflex I look down at the radar screen just with the eyes. But doing so I can’t really read the numbers, I have to move down the head to put the radar screen in the middle of the lens to be able to read.

That being said, if Reverb has roughly the same sweet spot as CV1, it isn’t great but I can live with that if it gives me longer range vision.

CV1 gives me the impression to be have myopia :(

I’ll just wait they fix their cable issue...or maybe Acer Ojo ! But 2160p seems the way to go for flight sim.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Thanks.

I have an IPD of 63 and to me the sweet spot of the Reverb is noticeably better than the CV1. I think the increased resolution of the Reverb almost makes this a given; Areas of image outside the sweet spot on the Reverb are slightly out of focus, but still readable due to the high resolution / low SDE of the display. However, in the case of the CV1, areas outside the sweet spot are very out focus, blurry and difficult to read due to the much lower resolution and high SDE of the display.

For example, with the Reverb I can read text on the Hornet's left and right DDIs and lower AMPCD without moving my head. The lower AMPCD is on the fringes of the Reverb's sweet spot and the text is less sharp, however it's still legible. This was not possible at all with the CV1.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The sweet spot on the Reverb is much better than my Lenovo Explorer for me but there are variables and settings involved and no two folks and machines will be the same. It's not just your IPD but also the distance from your eyes to the front of your face where the headset face pads rest. (both of these settings are adjustable on the Valve Index so the sweet spot should be better for more folks on it if set correctly IMO) Also, I am finding that the SteamVR resolution setting affects the periphery clarity more than the center with how SteamVR works. For me the Reverb sweet spot is large. Someone else who tried my headset with a very large IPD says it is smaller for him. His other facial dimensions may be different as well. He also doesn't wear glasses in the headset like I do. Everything can influence it. I don't think generalities apply too much. I will say that if your IPD is like 63 or 64 mm (mine) it will tend to be larger from everything I have experienced with the Reverb.

Edited by Secoda

I have an IPD of 63 and to me the sweet spot of the Reverb is noticeably better than the CV1. I think the increased resolution of the Reverb almost makes this a given; Areas of image outside the sweet spot on the Reverb are slightly out of focus, but still readable due to the high resolution / low SDE of the display. However, in the case of the CV1, areas outside the sweet spot are very out focus, blurry and difficult to read due to the much lower resolution and high SDE of the display.

For example, with the Reverb I can read text on the Hornet's left and right DDIs and lower AMPCD without moving my head. The lower AMPCD is on the fringes of the Reverb's sweet spot and the text is less sharp, however it's still legible. This was not possible at all with the CV1.

Thank you very much for your return. :thumbup:

Thanks to Secoda too.

Mirage fanatic !

The sweet spot on the Reverb is much better than my Lenovo Explorer for me but there are variables and settings involved and no two folks and machines will be the same. It's not just your IPD but also the distance from your eyes to the front of your face where the headset face pads rest. (both of these settings are adjustable on the Valve Index so the sweet spot should be better for more folks on it if set correctly IMO) Also, I am finding that the SteamVR resolution setting affects the periphery clarity more than the center with how SteamVR works. For me the Reverb sweet spot is large. Someone else who tried my headset with a very large IPD says it is smaller for him. His other facial dimensions may be different as well. He also doesn't wear glasses in the headset like I do. Everything can influence it. I don't think generalities apply too much. I will say that if your IPD is like 63 or 64 mm (mine) it will tend to be larger from everything I have experienced with the Reverb.

And do you manage to maintain at least around 45 fps please ?

And guys, do you have to use super sampling to improve clarity or playing around native résolution is good enough ?

Many thanks :thumbup:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

More testing...

I have been changing the SteamVR settings again and am revising my observation. I moved the video resolution from a low of 20% to the maximum of 500% then then back to the recommended 106 to 108% to observer and compare each.

At 20% the picture is degraded across the entire screen but it is more noticeable on the periphery with is a bit fuzzier to begin with. From 108% to 500% is don't see much clarity change but the performance become unusable at 500%. From 20% to 108% is the huge increase in clarity but the improvement stops beyond about their recommendation so I am leaving it there. That does seem to be the best clarity/performance balance.

I really see no effect on sweet spot from the changes. When set at 108% and looking at the center of the DCS main menu I can still clearly read the text down the right side but it is not in perfect focus like the greater center area is. My Lenovo gets much fuzzier sooner approaching the periphery. I still say the Reverb sweet spot for me is 15-20% larger than the Lenovo.

In single player with the F-18 module in Free Flight I see 45 FPS most of the time with motion reprojection on (DCS reports 45 but you see 90) using the Reverb headset. With it off I see about 58-62 FPS with terrain in view and 90 FPS with mainly the sky in view.

I can do things to slow that down like shoot the gun near the ground or water and fly by it or through it. DCS doesn't seem to handle that very well.

And do you manage to maintain at least around 45 fps please ?

And guys, do you have to use super sampling to improve clarity or playing around native résolution is good enough ?

Many thanks :thumbup:

With motion reprojection on

bx3Ju6t.png

Little or no terrain in view with motion reprojection off

xZyV3VB.png

Terrain in view with motion reprojection off

5IeojAL.png

Edited by Secoda

Can you try downtown Dubai flying low?, kind of curious to see what kind of frame rate you can get there. That would be a good stress test for the headset and PC system.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Well got my Amazon Reverb in. Something doesn't "feel" right. Everything seems "soft", like it's not using native 2160x2160x2.

Under Windows Mixed Reality, I have "Visual Quality" - Very High (beta) and resolution set to 4320x2160 (best quality).

It still doesn't look super clear in mixed reality. And steam resolution is all over the place:

100% custom resolution in SteamVR = shows each eye at 1968x1932 and SteamVR seems to keep resetting it to 100%.

124% gets me the closest - 2192x2152.

188% gets me - 2700x2648, not sure why people were recommending 188% earlier in the thread.

And the controllers seems to glitch all over the place... so far not too impressed. I have a RTX Titan so performance is not the issue.

Any thoughts?

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I will try it this evening. I just finished another two hours in the headset doing lots of crazy stuff. :cry: lol

Yes - the Persian Gulf map low in Dubai is resource intensive. I understand they are using a third party terrain engine (I forgot the software vendors name) and I am not that keen on it but I don't know if there is anything better out there.

Can you try downtown Dubai flying low?, kind of curious to see what kind of frame rate you can get there. That would be a good stress test for the headset and PC system.

This was done really fast with reprojection on so 45 reported is 90 seen

GzI4in5.png

I am sure in between buildings next to the ground it will drop. Again reprojection is on here.

0KimMYv.png

Edited by Secoda

It looks like you are missing some updates but I am not familiar with your video card in benchmarks on DCS. I know they are expensive with tons of VRAM. Can you post your SteamVR video dialog box and the recommendation? SteamVR does some sophisticated testing to determine how the video card will perform in VR. It used to be pretty bad at guessing but it is vastly improved I was just told.

Like this

kSMvDn9.jpg

Well got my Amazon Reverb in. Something doesn't "feel" right. Everything seems "soft", like it's not using native 2160x2160x2.

Under Windows Mixed Reality, I have "Visual Quality" - Very High (beta) and resolution set to 4320x2160 (best quality).

It still doesn't look super clear in mixed reality. And steam resolution is all over the place:

100% custom resolution in SteamVR = shows each eye at 1968x1932 and SteamVR seems to keep resetting it to 100%.

124% gets me the closest - 2192x2152.

188% gets me - 2700x2648, not sure why people were recommending 188% earlier in the thread.

And the controllers seems to glitch all over the place... so far not too impressed. I have a RTX Titan so performance is not the issue.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Secoda

Ohh woops I'm not paying attention (long day at work). I was changing the scaling under "applications" and not "video".

Trying again...

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

It looks like it should do a bit better than an RTX2080 Ti. I wonder how much of that 24 GB :thumbup: of VRAM DCS might gobble up in some intensive use.

Ohh woops I'm not paying attention (long day at work). I was changing the scaling under "applications" and not "video".

Trying again...

Edited by Secoda