HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Now my Reverb seems to be stuck in 60 Hz mode even though I have the WMR control panel set at 90 Hz. What the heck!

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Reboot. I had this happen with my first Reverb once in a while. From what I read SteamVR looks at some things (takes a snapshot) as it loads to determine what to do but stopping it and restarting never changed it to 90 Hz. Only rebooting seemed to work.

Now my Reverb seems to be stuck in 60 Hz mode even though I have the WMR control panel set at 90 Hz. What the heck!

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Reboot. I had this happen with my first Reverb once in a while. From what I read SteamVR looks at some things (takes a snapshot) as it loads to determine what to do but stopping it and restarting never changed it to 90 Hz. Only rebooting seemed to work.

Ah ya, man these things are finicky!

So I think I found out my reason for the lower clarity. It's the non-perfect/native being used by SteamVR.

Test it. Just open only WMR portal. Inside, press the Windows button on the WMR controller. This will bring up the options menu. Here you will see the menu is pretty clear and you don't have any weird "waviness" or distortions, especially around the edges of the menu boxes.

Now at 188% scaling in SteamVR (as close to the native resolution as you can get), launch a SteamVR game. Once in, do the same thing above. Notice how it is not as clear and you can see way more distortion/waviness of the edges of the boxes.

We need to find a way to get SteamVR to do pixel perfect.

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Are you using WMR for SteamVR? THe SteamVR room for me looks crystal clear.

So I think I found out my reason for the lower clarity. It's the non-perfect/native being used by SteamVR.

Test it. Just open only WMR portal. Inside, press the Windows button on the WMR controller. This will bring up the options menu. Here you will see the menu is pretty clear and you don't have any weird "waviness" or distortions, especially around the edges of the menu boxes.

Now at 188% scaling in SteamVR (as close to the native resolution as you can get), launch a SteamVR game. Once in, do the same thing above. Notice how it is not as clear and you can see way more distortion/waviness of the edges of the boxes.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Well ideally when ED implement native support for the Reverb in DCS we'll be laughing.

A small pie is soon eaten

Are you using WMR for SteamVR? THe SteamVR room for me looks crystal clear.

You have to run the steam plug-in "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" to get any SteamVR game working with the Reverb.

My point is if you run just WMR portal by itself with no Steam, it will be clearer than using anything that gets processed through SteamVR and that wacky non-native resolution re-sampling that IS occurring.

Wags mentioned trying to get rid of SteamVR at some point. With VR popularity "taking off" so to speak maybe sooner than later. :music_whistling:

You have to run the steam plug-in "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" to get any SteamVR game working with the Reverb.

My point is if you run just WMR portal by itself with no Steam, it will be clearer than using anything that gets processed through SteamVR and that wacky non-native resolution re-sampling that IS occurring.

If you're on Windows 1903, make sure you have the KB that fixes the WMR bug (won't let you take full advantage of higher resolution of Reverb). On my 1903 system, it didn't download the fix automatically. It's KB4507453. You should see it in your update history as that KB.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you're on Windows 1903, make sure you have the KB that fixes the WMR bug (won't let you take full advantage of higher resolution of Reverb). On my 1903 system, it didn't download the fix automatically. It's KB4507453. You should see it in your update history as that KB.

I have it.

I'll go into more detail later since it is bed time, but I am quite disappointed overall in the Reverb. :cry:

Try a Valve Index and Rift S. I did before I got my second Reverb. No doubt the Reverb takes a while to get tweaked. :noexpression:

I don't use the controllers.

I have it.

I'll go into more detail later since it is bed time, but I am quite disappointed overall in the Reverb. :cry:

Edited by Secoda

Try a Valve Index and Rift S. I did before I got my second Reverb. No doubt the Reverb takes a while to get tweaked. :noexpression:

I don't use the controllers.

This. Reverb is certainly not a plug and play device, it is a pain to set up software wise and hardware wise.

Once you have it right though.... wow.

Vega is going through the Reverb growing pains currently.. ;)

Excitement.

Oh it doesn't work.

Yey it's working.

Oh it's gone off.

Yey it's fixed.

It's uncomfortable.

I may send it back.

I'll give it one more go.

Wow the clarity is amazing.

What happened to my mouse cursor.

Wow the clarity is amazing but why is the tracking jumping.

What happened to my audio.

What happened to my clarity.

I may send it back.

I will give it one more chance.

So that's why it felt so uncomfortable. Ok now.

Why is it doing that.

Finally.... it's just like the Rift CV1 with high res screens. Yey. :)

I have to go through it all again with my new build...:huh:

Edit:

Just ordered this expansion card to run Reverb from in the new build, again it gets its power directly from the PSU or failing that via a sata connector. Also ordered a usb type C to type A adapter to see if Reverb will be happy with running through a straight pass through connector.

If so, running from type C will get me an extra half amp of power over the type A socket. Since Reverb only draws enough for a type A plug to handle nominally, should be no problems with things getting hot in the hardware. I'm hoping the extra power is available if needed, just as a little stability insurance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073NZZ6TG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I have an Index inbound too so will compare it directly with the Reverb.

I couldn't have said it more eloquently myself. :)

I really have not heard any complaints from DCS players on the WMR controllers (because they are all still in the boxes :lol:). If you play games (especially movement games) with controllers get a Valve Index (with external tracking) but understand the clarity limits. If clarity is paramount get a Reverb or Ojo if they release them on the consumer side. 1600 x 1440 is never going to be very clear no matter how they manipulate the image to hide the SDE as best they can. The Reverb cable is stiff and heavy and dancing around with it just isn't optimum IMO. WMR controllers are well WMR controllers. They need a WMR 2.0 IMO.

Yes - as the 2nd Reverb arrived there were also software updates (1903 fix to WMR and SteamVR) it was was a few steps back. Now it is rockin' again. My hope is it just keeps working with the cable issues since I would bet on the 2nd one also being a Gen 1. I have 41 days left to return it to Best Buy for another. Who knows what will happen by then. :thumbup: Right now it is a 45 day loaner unless it proves otherwise. We are the extended beta testers.

I am trying to do about two hours of DCS VR a day on #2 and should get to eight hours today. With the updates I was able to turn off MSAA totally in DCS which had been at 2X and that helps it stay butter smooth most of the time. I just don't like any judder or stutter or unrealistic movement.

I think the Reverb has/had several new product issues. Some connector/plug related and some heating up/open circuit related. From what HP told me all were identified by the engineering team in Houston some time ago now but the overseas retooling and manufacturing and testing on the changes are time consuming. As of last Friday I was told that they were looking at mid-August before the "fixed" units would be available. All of that said I was also told that some of them are actually working and not having problems. Acer on the other hand is taking the approach to putting them in the commercial side first. They said it is much easier to get them back if new product problems develop. I had a personal HP support contact on the first one and spoke to him about half a dozen times.

I think the Reverb is pushing the limits on the power usage and data flow. I thought about putting a short USB extension on the first one since it seemed like the plug was loose. I don't think I ever had a power issue on the 3.1 Gen 2 USB port on the ASUS Z390-E Gaming MB. The visionaries are now talking about large FOV and 8k in two years and the DisplayPort standard (1.4) has already been released. I think that will need quite a boost in the current PC hardware. The new high-speed SLI might help. The old SLI was pretty inefficient. Of course a large FOV can mean more motion sickness.

This. Reverb is certainly not a plug and play device, it is a pain to set up software wise and hardware wise.

Once you have it right though.... wow.

Vega is going through the Reverb growing pains currently.. ;)

Excitement.

Oh it doesn't work.

Yey it's working.

Oh it's gone off.

Yey it's fixed.

It's uncomfortable.

I may send it back.

I'll give it one more go.

Wow the clarity is amazing.

What happened to my mouse cursor.

Wow the clarity is amazing but why is the tracking jumping.

What happened to my audio.

What happened to my clarity.

I may send it back.

I will give it one more chance.

So that's why it felt so uncomfortable. Ok now.

Why is it doing that.

Finally.... it's just like the Rift CV1 with high res screens. Yey. :)

I have to go through it all again with my new build...:huh:

Edit:

Just ordered this expansion card to run Reverb from in the new build, again it gets its power directly from the PSU or failing that via a sata connector. Also ordered a usb type C to type A adapter to see if Reverb will be happy with running through a straight pass through connector.

If so, running from type C will get me an extra half amp of power over the type A socket. Since Reverb only draws enough for a type A plug to handle nominally, should be no problems with things getting hot in the hardware. I'm hoping the extra power is available if needed, just as a little stability insurance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073NZZ6TG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Secoda

Just past 10 hours on the new Reverb and it is going strong. Is everyone running reprojection on like I am?

I just upgraded to a lightning NVMe 1 TB SSD (6X faster than the EVO SSD) and cloned my EVO 860 SSD bootable to it and made the EVO 860 1 TB the second data drive for photos, videos, etc. Windows 10 boots nearly instantaneously (less than 5 seconds) once It gets past the bios pause. DCS loads to the menu quickly but is still not an instant load on modules even now. What is it doing? Must be checking back across the big pond for things?

EE58viD.png

Edited by Secoda

Well... there's a LOT to load...

If you're certain that load time is your preference I think turning down the pre-load radius will help... but there are benefits and drawback either way you go.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I was actually going to try higher to minimize any game stutter/hesitation from game time loads.

Update: Maxed Preload Radius out. It loads pretty quickly maxed. No impact on FPS. With an NVMe M.2 and 32 GB ram I think it makes sense. I read the DCS grabs a bunch of ram anyways regardless of this setting and just uses more of it when it is higher.

Also looking to test Visibility Range with the Reverb clarity and side effects but I read visibility distance doesn't affect visibility of planes but does hit performance. It is set to High now.

It appears ED has done a lot to try to increase spotting and visibility in the past.

Well... there's a LOT to load...

If you're certain that load time is your preference I think turning down the pre-load radius will help... but there are benefits and drawback either way you go.

Edited by Secoda

Good to hear about the effects of the 1TB M.2 NVMe drive over SSD.

I have one sitting among a large and rapidly growing pile of boxes in my man cave that will all come together into a glass box containing machinery specially designed to cause much cursing and consternation; and being a faster upgrade, cause this angst much more rapidly than ever before.

Looks like this weekend is going to be wet, before a red hot and sunny week after that, so hopefully there will be no demands much on my time this weekend. The dogs will have to make do with short, wet and miserable walks.

Just waiting for my 360mm radiator to arrive and it's time to get the screwdrivers out.

Just past 10 hours on the new Reverb and it is going strong. Is everyone running reprojection on like I am?

I just upgraded to a lightning NVMe 1 TB SSD (6X faster than the EVO SSD) and cloned my EVO 860 SSD bootable to it and made the EVO 860 1 TB the second data drive for photos, videos, etc. Windows 10 boots nearly instantaneously (less than 5 seconds) once It gets past the bios pause. DCS loads to the menu quickly but is still not an instant load on modules even now. What is it doing? Must be checking back across the big pond for things?

EE58viD.png

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Hope it helps ....I got one and still had the flickering .

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Is anyone running the Reverb in DCS with a "modest" GTX 1080 Ti ?

It seems I only spot RTX 2080 (Ti) serie...

I was...I mean with a slight OC but not much,,,,,, pretty much locked at 45fps running reprojection.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I was...I mean with a slight OC but not much,,,,,, pretty much locked at 45fps running reprojection.
As long as you drop down on shadows like other people have mentioned, you should be fine. There are 2-3 people here with 1080ti's including me. But I don't have a reverb yet. Another person with a 2080 which is similar.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have to say that this almost sold me the Reverb:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3982198&postcount=5

This was the assumption I made a while ago, I'm glad to see it confirmed.

The problem is build quality/ cable connectivity. :(

Can't wait for batch 2...

Thanks for the return :thumbup:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

That does it for me, then. I can get my 2060 up to just over standard 1080 speeds, but that's the lot. Reverb was my second choice if the Index didn't cut it, but looks like I'd have to go for the Quest and rely on Steam streaming.

Shame.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2