HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

That does it for me, then. I can get my 2060 up to just over standard 1080 speeds, but that's the lot. Reverb was my second choice if the Index didn't cut it, but looks like I'd have to go for the Quest and rely on Steam streaming.

Shame.

Does quest even work with DCS? I thought it's an all in one type of headset without a way to connect it to the PC?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The Oculus Quest and Oculus Go are standalone. They have a fraction of the processing power necessary to run DCS and run on internal cell phone chips (Snapdragons). The big plus is they are totally mobile.

https://www.oculus.com/quest/?locale=en_US

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Same deal. I am getting better performance out the the Reverb than my Lenovo Explorer 1440 x 1440 and without suffering through the poor image quality on the Lenovo. Basically, it is awful next to the Reverb. Immediate eye strain just using it for very long. I only paid $200 USD for the Lenovo and is the Reverb worth 3X the price of the Lenovo (which is now unavailable). Heck yes - the Reverb is night and day better. The difference in clarity is huge! Imagine going from a CV1 1280 x 1200 to the Reverb 2160 x 2160 with no performance hit. :thumbsup:

HP needs to get their poor new product release behind them. Of course Valve Index is replacing every set of controllers so new product releases can be rough.

I have to say that this almost sold me the Reverb:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3982198&postcount=5

This was the assumption I made a while ago, I'm glad to see it confirmed.

The problem is build quality/ cable connectivity. :(

Can't wait for batch 2...

Thanks for the return :thumbup:

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Does quest even work with DCS? I thought it's an all in one type of headset without a way to connect it to the PC?

You can fly in DCS using a streaming program like ALVR or Virtual desktop. The sim runs on your PC just like any other VR game, but it is streamed to the headset via 5GHz WiFi (so you have to have a good router).

Some have had issues with it, some haven't. Those who try it usually say it's pretty awesome.

There can be restrictions, of course, based on battery life (though some say you can just keep it plugged in the charger/USB). It wouldn't be ideal, but would be about the only option left.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

You can fly in DCS using a streaming program like ALVR or Virtual desktop. The sim runs on your PC just like any other VR game, but it is streamed to the headset via 5GHz WiFi (so you have to have a good router).

Some have had issues with it, some haven't. Those who try it usually say it's pretty awesome.

There can be restrictions, of course, based on battery life (though some say you can just keep it plugged in the charger/USB). It wouldn't be ideal, but would be about the only option left.

We are off topic, but why don't you go for the Rift S instead ?

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Same deal. I am getting better performance out the the Reverb than my Lenovo Explorer 1440 x 1440 and without suffering through the poor image quality on the Lenovo. Basically, it is awful next to the Reverb. Immediate eye strain just using it for very long. I only paid $200 USD for the Lenovo and is the Reverb worth 3X the price of the Lenovo (which is now unavailable). Heck yes - the Reverb is night and day better. The difference in clarity is huge! Imagine going from a CV1 1280 x 1200 to the Reverb 2160 x 2160 with no performance hit. :thumbsup:

HP needs to get their poor new product release behind them. Of course Valve Index is replacing every set of controllers so new product releases can be rough.

Guys you made my day :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Don't get too excited - it is kind of a rough road to get the new headsets working optimally with lots of settings scattered across the various software layers. :helpsmilie:

If nothing else HP's customer service has been very good. They just called me again to let me know that they had received the 1st HP Reverb Pro return and was processing the refund. I was going to check on it tomorrow but they beat me to the punch.

I just passed twelve hours on the 2nd HP Reverb which is still going strong. I am still tweaking on it a bit and turned MSAA back on 2X in DCS and off (Anti-aliasing) in NVIDIA. The clarity is great but I like to minimize any shimmering or other artifacts with a minimal performance impact. With Settings scattered across WMR, SteamVR, NVIDIA, and DCS there are a multitude of combinations to try.

The inside head tracking on the Reverb is very solid. No idea on the controller tracking but I don't use it. I was playing around with lighting to see if it made any difference with the inside head tracking but I am guessing that it uses infrared emitters and doesn't rely on any external lighting source?

A very recent review (Windows Central) on the Reverb given the launch availability/technical issues. IMO it is right on the money just like my review was on Best Buy.

As he said they modified the shape of the lenses so that you see readable clarity along the periphery although it still fuzzes out a bit but not unreadable like my Lenovo Explorer. I would suggest that if you don't see that (like I keep reading on some posts) something is not setup right or your IPD or other dimension is off in some way. As I said before most of my FOV is pretty clear with the Reverb but my IPD is 64 mm. It only fuzzes out a bit in maybe the outer 15% along the edge. By contrast the clearest area on the Lenovo is maybe 60% of the screen vs 85% on the Reverb and the closer your get to the edges it becomes totally unreadable. When I first got it the jump in sweet spot was really the big surprise. I expected great clarity.

HP Reverb headset review: Windows Mixed Reality meets higher resolution (4.5/5.0)

https://www.windowscentral.com/hp-reverb-2019-review

Guys you made my day :thumbup:

Edited by Secoda

that is good news.... I'm ready to hand them my money if they would send me one :)
Let them fix the bad cable design first before you give them any money.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

that is good news.... I'm ready to hand them my money if they would send me one :)

As stated above, wait until they are fully fixed. It will be worth the wait and you don't want the frustrations some of us have had to put up with the first iteration of the reverb.

It's hard to describe the frustration of having DCS crash just as you're about to execute some super nifty manoeuvre or deploy a cluster bomb on a formation of armour with perfect precision.

A small pie is soon eaten

Should I cancel my Amazon order, or assume all will be well when they ship?
If your Amazon order is shipping in September or October you are probably ok. That's when I expect the fixed headsets to be done production and ready to sell.

If your Amazon order is shipping in September or October you are probably ok. That's when I expect the fixed headsets to be done production and ready to sell.

Yep, I can swap the new one end this month. The new reverb aren't even in store. HP swaps first the old ones with the new ones. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

As stated above, wait until they are fully fixed. It will be worth the wait and you don't want the frustrations some of us have had to put up with the first iteration of the reverb.

It's hard to describe the frustration of having DCS crash just as you're about to execute some super nifty manoeuvre or deploy a cluster bomb on a formation of armour with perfect precision.

I am - not really a choice, it's backordered everywhere

Even though I already have mine from HP, I was still on Amazon's notification list, so I got an e-mail from them this morning to say they had them in stock, ready to ship. Wasn't going to buy a second one or anything, but I clicked on the link to see if it was true. Instead of the usual "Add to cart" button though, there was a "See all buying options" button, so I clicked on that to see what came up. It lists one thrid-party vendor, called FieldyStore, who is selling one in "Used-Like New" condition, for $300.00 MORE than what they go for brand new. Amazon should be ashamed of themselves. :doh:

My Reverb Pro from HP is still going strong, and the intermittent audio problem was fixed by tightening the screws that attach the phones to the HMD. HP leaves them pretty loose for some reason.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I just got the Amazon email at 2:39 am CT @ $599 as well. LOL

That is the third one I could have had so far. I ended up paying was $522 for a standard from Best Buy after various discounts I had at BB plus taxes. My refund on the Pro from HP was like $676 I think ($650 plus taxes). I may return the 2nd one for a replacement before the 45 return/refund days ends just to get the latest and greatest version at the end of August. I have a Best Buy about ten minutes away and the Geek Squad guy said just bring it in. With the fiasco on the new product release I could see there being a lot of refurbished ones eventually at a nice discount.

Edited by Secoda

Now it says 12 left in stock. (more on the way) An hour ago they were sold out.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Reverb-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B07R768KJP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hp+reverb&qid=1563546102&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Edited by Secoda

This is strange. I got a email last night asking if I still wanted my Reverb Order, and stated that they had no date for availability. I just pulled up the order and it says shipping soon, but I did't get a notification email that they were in stock?

Whats up, and are these updated models? If not, where did they come from?

Edited by Wmacky

I highly doubt it. From what I was told it will be a month from now before a revised unit is out but only HP knows. These are probably heavily tested units but the heat related issues may take a while to reveal themselves as I found out with my first one. I would count on returning them. The reasons I picked up the Best Buy 2nd one was:

1. I wanted to keep using one because nothing else comes close in clarity right now. (and I tried both the Rift S and Valve Index)

2. I am an Elite Plus Best Buy member and have 45 days to return for a full refund no questions asked which puts it at the end of August when the revised ones should be available.

3. I got various discounts at Best Buy that lowered the price significantly.

4. I have a Best Buy about 10 minutes away and they said just bring it in if I want a refund or whatever before the 45 days.

Are these fixed units ?

Edited by Secoda

Surely they would not release more HMD's unless they were sure they had resolved everything? Perhaps these were "fixed" in house, and the longer delay will be for revised factory units? A boy can hope!

It had to be a fairly large amount to cover all the back orders and have 12 left over?

Edited by Wmacky

LOL. We have really tested and reviewed the heck out of the Reverb at this point. :smilewink:

Just make one that keeps on working.

I spoke with Acer USA myself last week and both the commercial side first and then the consumer group. The good news is the Acer Ojo ConceptD (2160 x 2160 with adjustable IPD) was released on the commercial side. The bad news is they won't even give any hint on when it might be released on the consumer side which makes me think it is either before the holiday's sometime near the end of the year or even next year. Who knows. Then again we have no idea what it is like other than the photos which make it appear pretty large/heavy. That prototype from last year actually used a cell phone at CES so it not representative of the final PC product that got delivered.

4 left - I guess we will have additional reviews soon..........

Wow. Amazon sold out quickly. lol

No still 2 left! Grab them while you can, and hope for the best!

Secoda - Will I want to sell my 5K+ or the the large FOV worth keeping for flight / racing sims ?

Edited by Wmacky