HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Hello, my reverb arrived this week.

After some days expertimenting i cannot say that i am fully happy.

With the rift and rift s i had quite good performances and visual quality (With pd 1.3).

With the reverb i cannot mantain 45fps also if i lower my settings. I am often at 40/42 with a lot of dips and also very often the steamvr screen appears for a second and then DCS returns

I have to switch to 60hz setting to have a better experience but it is not optimal. I have dcs pixel density at 1.0

I see that at 100% steamvr puts the resolution quite higher then the reverb real resolution.

So i need to put the resolution for dcs at 78% to match the reverb res (roughly).

Can someone help me understand what is happening?

As you can see from the signature my pc is top of the line and also the gtx 1080ti should be ok for dcs (it is in 2d and it was with the rift s).

I deleted shaders etc etc.

Also i have a secondary issue (which i had with every vr headset i tried) when i press the vr center button, the visual is resetted but is not really centered is always a little offset.

Is there something i can do for this?

Thanks

Make sure both the steamVR video tab and application tab SS are both set to 100%. The SS does not appear in the application tab until DCS.exe is actually running. Even if you set the SS to 100% in the video tab, the application tab my still be at default of 140% for a 2080Ti. I recommend you get FPSVR from steam, it will tell you many bits of VR data on how your system is running with games. I thought just by checking the box in the video tab I would run all games at 100% SS but FPSVR told my I was running Global resolution at 100% and Application resolution at 140%.

Global 100% * Application 140% * DCS 1.0 PD = a ton of pixel greater than a 2080Ti can handle. Also make sure you activate "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector" to lock you in at 45 FPS at all times. Also set global illumination in DCS to off. You'll take a hit leaving it on for no known visual benefit IMO.

Took me a while to get set up for very smooth performance with my system and also learned SLI and a second monitor made DCS jittery even with great GPU and CPU usage around 12 - 18ms.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Make sure both the steamVR video tab and application tab SS are both set to 100%. The SS does not appear in the application tab until DCS.exe is actually running. Even if you set the SS to 100% in the video tab, the application tab my still be at default of 140% for a 2080Ti. I recommend you get FPSVR from steam, it will tell you many bits of VR data on how your system is running with games. I thought just by checking the box in the video tab I would run all games at 100% SS but FPSVR told my I was running Global resolution at 100% and Application resolution at 140%.

Global 100% Application *Application 140% Application * DCS 1.0 PD = a ton of pixel greater than a 2080Ti can handle. Also make sure you activate "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector" to lock you in at 45 FPS at all times. Also set global illumination in DCS to off. You'll take a it leaving it on for no known visual benefit IMO.

Took me a while to get set up for very smooth performance with my system and also learned SLI and a second monitor made DCS jittery even with great GPU and CPU usage around 12 - 18ms.

I am a long time VR user....i know everything you wrote...i also own fps4vr (i wrote that in my previous post).

I don't mean to be rude but these are all tries i already did.

I have steam video setting at 100% and dcs application setting at 100%.

I got 40/42 fps when nothing is loaded...36 over Dubai.

My GPU frame time is very often over 20ms but if i see the utilization% (from fpsvr) it is never at 100% but 70/80.

My CPU on the other side is almost every time at 12/13 ms often also under 11.7 (treeshold for 90fps) but as before in an empty mission offer dubai (f18 free flight in Persian gulf map).

If i put steam vr application ss at 70% for dcs i get decent performances but my visual is degraded. So for now i am stuck in the 60hz mode with motionvector option always on.

With the Rift S i really was having good performances and for now i regret the change.

It is probable that I will sell the reverb and buy the rift s again.

From the report here i tought the Reverb was easier on the GPU, and i have no intention to spend more then 1000 euros for the only card that is faster then mine, to get a 20% benefit.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Just bumping again.
Don't know i bought from HP directly

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Make sure both the steamVR video tab and application tab SS are both set to 100%. The SS does not appear in the application tab until DCS.exe is actually running. Even if you set the SS to 100% in the video tab, the application tab my still be at default of 140% for a 2080Ti. I recommend you get FPSVR from steam, it will tell you many bits of data on how your system is running with games. I thought just by checking the box in the video tab I would run all games at 100% SS but FPSVR told my I was running Global resolution at 100% and Application resolution at 140%.

Global 100% Application *Application 140% Application * DCS 1.0 PD = a ton of pixel greater than a 2080Ti can handle. Also make sure you activate "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector" to lock you in at 45 FPS at all times.

Took me a while to get set up for very smooth performance with my system and also learned SLI and a second monitor mae DCS jittery if will great GPU and CPU usage around 12 - 18ms.

That's good info. I think he's on the stable steam and wmr version though and he has a 1080ti so 100% should be fine for both global and application settings. But if it's the stable steam vr version 100% might be too much. Maybe try 80%?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I am a long time VR user....i know everything you wrote...i also own fps4vr (i wrote that in my previous post).

My GPU frame time is very often over 20ms but if i see the utilization% (from fpsvr) it is never at 100% but 70/80.

My CPU on the other side is almost every time at 12/13 ms often also under 11.7 (treeshold for 90fps) but as before in an empty mission offer dubai (f18 free flight in Persian gulf map).

If i put steam vr application ss at 70% for dcs i get decent performances but my visual is degraded. So for now i am stuck in the 60hz mode with motionvector option always on.

With the Rift S i really was having good performances and for now i regret the change.

From the report here i tought the Reverb was easier on the GPU, and i have no intention to spend more then 1000 euros for the only card that is faster then mine, to get a 20% benefit.

Anything over GPU 20ms is a jittery stutter fest in DCS and the only thing you can do is upgrade your video card or lower graphic settings if you want to get the MS lower. That's just how DCS is. Also forgot to mention you can try the VR terrain mod, it helps but breaks IC in multiplayer. Good luck.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

The sheer number of pixels being pushed seems to have knocked the DCS PD setting over a cliff with the Reverb and looks like an efficiency problem. Forget using DCS PD for now. Set it to 1.0 and start there using Steam to make any SS changes. Because of the high res of the displays you need very little super sampling to get a good image. As many have said over the last couple of pages set Steam to 100% as a starting point to tune and move it up from there. Even a bump from DCS PD 1.0 to 1.2 will grind everything to a halt. With reprojection off I am averaging 6o to 70 fps in most instant action scenarios with med to high game settings on the DCS beta. Which leaves plenty of headroon to use reprojection if I choose to. It kind of shocked me as my vive pro runs ok with DCS PD at 1.8 to 20 and steamSS at 140%. I am currently running Steam VideoSS @120 Steam application at 100% and getting great visuals. For a higher bump use Kegetys Shader mod. I have not tried these settings in the stable release so that may be where there seem to be some discrepancies in peoples performance as well.

Settings

F18_FPS_Gulf

Edited by Macka

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Don't know i bought from HP directly

today, booted up with low fps when I was consistently smooth on 45 fps yesterday. there's different ways of running dcs w/ reverb. few tries later i'm back to the same good performance. I just have to figure out which to boot up with the low fps again and confirm

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Are you in steam vr stable or beta? I think the beta with 100% raises the super sampling too much. The stable one people are using like 188% in steam super sampling to get closer to the native reverb resolution.

I also have a 1080ti and no plans on upgrading so this is sad news to hear. But I also remember seeing those with other 1080ti's here and the reverb and they mentioned it performed fine.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

anyone else have problem with shadows in a helicopter with reverb? portion of ground shadow disappear and appears as I move my view. it is like I have a giant eraser/mask attached to my view

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

anyone else have problem with shadows in a helicopter with reverb? portion of ground shadow disappear and appears as I move my view. it is like I have a giant eraser/mask attached to my view

Just jumped into the UH1 to test it and found that it was fine on open ground but shadow completely disappeared over the ramp area. Didn't get what you described but it may depend on what settings you have for shadows. Mine is set on Flat.

On the multiple DCS boot up methods the only one I found to cause issues was if I boot DCS from inside the Steam VR home using their wall VR menu. Booting direct from DCS desktop icon with VR autodetect set in steam VR and from the WMR virtual desktop seem fine and smooth.

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Just jumped into the UH1 to test it and found that it was fine on open ground but shadow completely disappeared over the ramp area. Didn't get what you described but it may depend on what settings you have for shadows. Mine is set on Flat.

On the multiple DCS boot up methods the only one I found to cause issues was if I boot DCS from inside the Steam VR home using their wall VR menu. Booting direct from DCS desktop icon with VR autodetect set in steam VR and from the WMR virtual desktop seem fine and smooth.

try morning setting with long shadows. I had mine set to default, high and visib ultra

Edited by Revs

Yeah....tried your shadow settings and got it magically disappearing as I move my view. It maybe not related to Reverb as looks like a shaders issue....Do you use kegetys shader? If I get time I might try with the Vive Pro later.

Ok tried Reverb in the Non Beta mainstream DCS and shadows are fine so it appears to only be a problem in in the Beta with or without the shader mod.

Edited by Macka

Whete do I find VR auto detect setting in Steam VR?

Its in Steam Developer settings.

With Steam VR open click Menu (top left). Open Settings. Select Developer (bottom menu). Tick first item "Start SteamVR when a VR application starts"

I have also added my non steam DCS to the Steam Game library. I don't know if that makes any difference to auto loading as I did it years ago but it did allow me to launch DCS using my Vive from the Steam home....but found if I do that with the Reverb I get a performance hit so only launch from desktop for the Reverb.....seems fine with the Vive pro.

Edited by Macka

Hi,

i've bought Reverb and i would like to know i need some other app than Mixed Reality Portal?

I.e. SteamVR or WMR for SteamVR?

Yep install the other two.....Steam VR and WMR for steam.

Good morning folks.

I'm currently using a Rift S but I have a new Reverb arriving on Monday. I use DCS Stand alone open beta over the Steam version.

I read that Wags was getting this headset over to the team for native support but I don't think I heard any status on that anywhere.

I have Win 10 1903, latest updates, WMR Portal, Steam VR, WMR for Steam VR and fpsVR installed.

I've been reading this; https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/01/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

My question;.

What will the steps be to get Stand Alone DCS working on the Reverb?

Will I have to run DCS through Steam even as a non Steam App or will I only need to run Steam VR to activate the Reverb? It's a little confusing. The Oculus Rift S was very straight forward, install Oculus Home, hook it up and run DCS in VR mode. The Reverb doesn't appear to be as simple to get up and running.

Thank you for any assistance.

Good morning folks.

I'm currently using a Rift S but I have a new Reverb arriving on Monday. I use DCS Stand alone open beta over the Steam version.

I read that Wags was getting this headset over to the team for native support but I don't think I heard any status on that anywhere.

I have Win 10 1903, latest updates, WMR Portal, Steam VR, WMR for Steam VR and fpsVR installed.

I've been reading this; https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/01/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

My question;.

What will the steps be to get Stand Alone DCS working on the Reverb?

Will I have to run DCS through Steam even as a non Steam App or will I only need to run Steam VR to activate the Reverb? It's a little confusing. The Oculus Rift S was very straight forward, install Oculus Home, hook it up and run DCS in VR mode. The Reverb doesn't appear to be as simple to get up and running.

Thank you for any assistance.

Make sure enable VR headset in dcs settings is ticked. Once you plug in your reverb you can just put the headset on and open the desktop app from within the cliff house then double click your dcs shortcut icon.

Or you can just start dcs normally and it will boot up steam vr and then put your headset on. Keep in mind that there is a windows bug where at least for me, launching dcs first then putting the headset on only worked once and not consecutively after closing everything down. Unless I used task manager to end steam vr processes or reboot the pc.

But launching from within the headset I have had no issues. I am still using the original odyssey until the Reverb comes in.

VirusAM, be patient. I know you ar VR veteran with a lot of experience, I'm reading your posts regularly.

You run on a unique problem as I notice you are the only one who needs to set up SteamVR on around 70%.

As I understand you, your problem is suddenly your top gaming CPU bottlenecking GPU. This 25 to 30% is exactly what is missing in FPS for smooth play. Question is what is the cause of this problem, some software or hardware conflict.

Try to set the dedicated CPU core to Reverb, maybe everything by default on first core what could cause that bottleneck. I don't know just trying to put it logically.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are in this on your own. You are the only one with such problem but I have full confidence in you will solve the problem just don't give up so easily. You can do it.

That is all I can do for you, give you some idea and moral support in this. I don't want to teach you, probably you know more then I do.

Good luck m8.

One more question. Do you have the same problem in some other titles too?

I've seen this. Its a DCS thing IMO not specific to the reverb.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The sheer number of pixels being pushed seems to have knocked the DCS PD setting over a cliff with the Reverb and looks like an efficiency problem. Forget using DCS PD for now. Set it to 1.0 and start there using Steam to make any SS changes. Because of the high res of the displays you need very little super sampling to get a good image. As many have said over the last couple of pages set Steam to 100% as a starting point to tune and move it up from there. Even a bump from DCS PD 1.0 to 1.2 will grind everything to a halt. With reprojection off I am averaging 6o to 70 fps in most instant action scenarios with med to high game settings on the DCS beta. Which leaves plenty of headroon to use reprojection if I choose to. It kind of shocked me as my vive pro runs ok with DCS PD at 1.8 to 20 and steamSS at 140%. I am currently running Steam VideoSS @120 Steam application at 100% and getting great visuals. For a higher bump use Kegetys Shader mod. I have not tried these settings in the stable release so that may be where there seem to be some discrepancies in peoples performance as well.

Settings

F18_FPS_Gulf

Not true for me. My first try with the Reverb was with my OLD PD of 1.8 and steam at 108%. It ran fine. I opted to drop it to 1.0 and use steam due to the draw distance issue with DCS and DCS PD and now run like 160% steam.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Cheers Harlikwin. Maybe the draw distance issue with DCS and DCS PD was my problem and by dropping DCS PD to 1.0 fixed my performance issue hence my results......Can you elaborate on this issue as there seem to be quite a few with performance issues that looking at their specs should not be the case.

Doesn't it also depends if you use steam vr or steam vr beta?

I'm also thinking when I get my reverb that I'll uninstall wmr for steam vr app from within app. I don't think it's needed.

I've stuck with stable steam vr and only tried the beta once with my Odyssey but I didn't like it.

VirusAM, be patient. I know you ar VR veteran with a lot of experience, I'm reading your posts regularly.

You run on a unique problem as I notice you are the only one who needs to set up SteamVR on around 70%.

As I understand you, your problem is suddenly your top gaming CPU bottlenecking GPU. This 25 to 30% is exactly what is missing in FPS for smooth play. Question is what is the cause of this problem, some software or hardware conflict.

Try to set the dedicated CPU core to Reverb, maybe everything by default on first core what could cause that bottleneck. I don't know just trying to put it logically.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are in this on your own. You are the only one with such problem but I have full confidence in you will solve the problem just don't give up so easily. You can do it.

That is all I can do for you, give you some idea and moral support in this. I don't want to teach you, probably you know more then I do.

Good luck m8.

One more question. Do you have the same problem in some other titles too?

Thanks for your words

Anyway i think that the issue is more gpu related that cpu related as my GPU is the one constantly above 16ms and often 22, causing the under 45 fps performance. While i have never seen the cpu over 16ms.

This morning I tried also the shader mod (which i cannot use as i fly multiplayer) but I had not many good results.

I don't know what to do, but i think that my 1080ti can handle the Oculus Rift S, but not the Reverb's resolution.

I have to play at 60hz or sell it and return to the Rift S