HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Hmm to Reverb, or not to Reverb. That is the question.

Just not sure I would see enough of a gain in image clarity to justify it.

Plus with my Rift S I can run pretty high graphics settings and still get good performance, would hate to give some of that up.

Will have to ponder a bit...

Performance with the reverb is far better than anyone expected. I literally ran it with my old rift settings (PD 1.8) and it worked fine. I've since then reduced to PD 1.0, turned up shadows and other stuff since it still looks fine and use steam SS 160% (PD 1.2 equivalent or so). I'm pulling like 50-60fps online without issue.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Performance with the reverb is far better than anyone expected. I literally ran it with my old rift settings (PD 1.8) and it worked fine. I've since then reduced to PD 1.0, turned up shadows and other stuff since it still looks fine and use steam SS 160% (PD 1.2 equivalent or so). I'm pulling like 50-60fps online without issue.
I think it's safe to say if you have a 2080ti. Anything less I think you have to turn things down. There was one guy with a 1080ti who couldn't even use 100% steam sampling on the steam vr beta and had to go to 70% which isn't native resolution. Not sure why that was the case but performance seems to vary for everyone at least what I gathered from reading this thread.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I'm running a Reverb with a 1080ti FTW3 (OC'd a bit more too) 8700k at 4.8.

RAM matters a LOT - be sure it's XMP enabled and you have 32 gig. I also have a swap file at 2x ram - because, ya.

I have no MSAA (not needed) no SSAA. Anisotropic at 16x.

Textures - Terrain - HIGH

Water & Visb Range - HIGH

Shadows - Medium

Res Cockpit 1024

Terrain Obj shadows - FLAT

Trees 65%

Clutter Grass 1500

Reload Radius 150,000

I get 70-90 fps on/over the Tarwa

65-85 fps on the ground at Al Dhafra

Frametimes in the mid to low teens.

Steam is set to 100% Video and 100% App for DCS

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

I got myself a Reverb as well. Coming from O+. Yes a significant clarity boost in reading text and stuff. I think I see some SDE, what I find somewhat irritating in my field of vision I have something on the lower part. As if looking at some wide screen film on a normal telly. Is the FOV in Reverb maybe vertically smaller than in O+? I tried adjusting the straps and stuff but it does not go away, maybe I get used to it.

I was wondering, first trials I still had 1.4 PD in DCS. Looked great and run great as well, did not bother to look at fps. I went to 1.0 and it did not look that great anymore, so I increased it. What's the general take? PD 1.2 or what? Is there any real difference doing it in Steam or in DCS?

I'm running a Reverb with a 1080ti FTW3 (OC'd a bit more too) 8700k at 4.8.

RAM matters a LOT - be sure it's XMP enabled and you have 32 gig. I also have a swap file at 2x ram - because, ya.

I have no MSAA (not needed) no SSAA. Anisotropic at 16x.

Textures - Terrain - HIGH

Water & Visb Range - HIGH

Shadows - Medium

Res Cockpit 1024

Terrain Obj shadows - FLAT

Trees 65%

Clutter Grass 1500

Reload Radius 150,000

I get 70-90 fps on/over the Tarwa

65-85 fps on the ground at Al Dhafra

Frametimes in the mid to low teens.

Steam is set to 100% Video and 100% App for DCS

That makes me feel better. I'm in the process of finishing some other titles in my backlog then I'll get back into dcs and get a Reverb at one point.

I'm assuming you are using steam vr beta if you are setting steam sampling to 100%?

I have 32gb of ram too which I noticed helped in general for VR.

I got myself a Reverb as well. Coming from O+. Yes a significant clarity boost in reading text and stuff. I think I see some SDE, what I find somewhat irritating in my field of vision I have something on the lower part. As if looking at some wide screen film on a normal telly. Is the FOV in Reverb maybe vertically smaller than in O+? I tried adjusting the straps and stuff but it does not go away, maybe I get used to it.

I was wondering, first trials I still had 1.4 PD in DCS. Looked great and run great as well, did not bother to look at fps. I went to 1.0 and it did not look that great anymore, so I increased it. What's the general take? PD 1.2 or what? Is there any real difference doing it in Steam or in DCS?

You should follow the VR guide linked up above of the reverb. You should also adjust your steam VR super sampling to match native res of the reverb and keep dcs PD at 1.0.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I think it's safe to say if you have a 2080ti. Anything less I think you have to turn things down. There was one guy with a 1080ti who couldn't even use 100% steam sampling on the steam vr beta and had to go to 70% which isn't native resolution. Not sure why that was the case but performance seems to vary for everyone at least what I gathered from reading this thread.

Don's rig is better than mine.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The big difference is spotting. Increasing the PD will decrease the spotting range for aircraft if you do it in DCS as I understand it. Use steam, I'm currently running 160% Which is PD 1.2 or 1.3 territory.

I see amazon has the reverb in stock. It's not labeled as pro or standard. Not sure if it's the latest model either but when I order I'm going to do it through HP.

I just found out that there's also a beta for WMR for steam and is different than steamVR beta. I had the 188% at 2160 res. with only steamvr beta. when I opt for WMR beta for steam as well, that's when it shows aprox. 70% to get to 2160 res. looks the same but feels like I got a bit more smoother.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Yeah the whole implementation with WMRforSteamVR and SteamVR isn't exactly what I'd call smooth. And yes there are betas of both. I think I opted out of both of them at the moment.

Yeah the whole implementation with WMRforSteamVR and SteamVR isn't exactly what I'd call smooth. And yes there are betas of both. I think I opted out of both of them at the moment.
I have done the same, seems better performance with the Reverb with the stable release at the moment.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I have done the same, seems better performance with the Reverb with the stable release at the moment.
So if you stay on stable for both what should the sampling slider be set to in steam? 100%?

As if looking at some wide screen film on a normal telly. Is the FOV in Reverb maybe vertically smaller than in O+? I tried adjusting the straps and stuff but it does not go away, maybe I get used to it.

Looks like you have whatever facial issue it is that I have. For some reason, where the Reverb naturally settles into my face, it gets the lenses too close to my eyes and I end up seeing this distorted blue halo which is the most visible at the bottom. I tried adjusting the straps too, and it only helped a little bit. My solution ended up being adhesive-backed foam weather stripping. It was a cheap solution that was really easy to apply. Try loading up DCS in the Reverb and then slowly pull the Reverb straight away from your eyes. If your problem is the same as mine was, you'll see the distortion at the bottom go away, and will probably see the whole image get even clearer than it already was by a small amount.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

So if you stay on stable for both what should the sampling slider be set to in steam? 100%?
I set it to 188%, this is close to native which is about the equivalent of 74% with the WMR beta running. It could probably go a bit higher but looks good and performs well at this amount.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Looks like you have whatever facial issue it is that I have. For some reason, where the Reverb naturally settles into my face, it gets the lenses too close to my eyes and I end up seeing this distorted blue halo which is the most visible at the bottom. I tried adjusting the straps too, and it only helped a little bit. My solution ended up being adhesive-backed foam weather stripping. It was a cheap solution that was really easy to apply. Try loading up DCS in the Reverb and then slowly pull the Reverb straight away from your eyes. If your problem is the same as mine was, you'll see the distortion at the bottom go away, and will probably see the whole image get even clearer than it already was by a small amount.
I feel like the odyssey is similar, but the fov might be bigger than the reverb. The lenses come very close to your eyes so shifting the headset a bit further does make the viewpoint clearer but the odyssey straps have the same issue. You can't get it loose enough so that it stays in that position yet also tight enough so that it doesn't move when you shift your head around.

Yes, if I pull it away from my face the effect is reduced. It looks a bit like looking through a tube, otherwise. I am still busy tweaking.

I get now ok performance, but I tried using Steam SS (160%) and the motion reproduction - I flew the first mission of the new UH-1 campaign and got huge stutters once the bullets were flying. I recall that I was not too happy experimenting with that option back with O+ either, so I'll switch it of and see if I remain stutterfree.

One question please, new in HP reverb... I must run SteamVR, WMR for steam or both before launch DCS?
It should all start up automatically when you start DCS in VR mode

One question please, new in HP reverb... I must run SteamVR, WMR for steam or both before launch DCS?

yes:)

look here

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/19/preflighting-wmr-steamvr-for-dcs/

AMD 7800X3D | Asus TUF Gaming X670E Plus | Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 64GB @6000MHz| NVIDIA 4090 FE | DCS only @ M.2 WD SN850X 1TB | Quest 3 & Virtual Desktop | TM Warthog | TM Pedals | | My F-18 Rogers SimPit

I guess you have the consumer edition not the pro. I had the pro (now consumer) and compared to the consumer your eyes are a bit more off the lenses.

I'm using foam from https://vrcover.com (Odysee+ fits well)

Edited by Hafer

7700k@5.0, 2080Ti OC, 960Pro M2, 32GB 3600 RAM, Virpil T-50CM stick, Virpil T-50 throttle, Trustmaster TPR rudder, HP Reverb consumer

My settings so far 100% ss on steamvr (beta) which means 2224x2180/eye (close to native). And in DCS PD to 1.1

Everything on high

shadows both on flat

no msaa

It runs very smooth (enabled reprojection in steamvr)

7700k@5.0, 2080Ti OC, 960Pro M2, 32GB 3600 RAM, Virpil T-50CM stick, Virpil T-50 throttle, Trustmaster TPR rudder, HP Reverb consumer

With the new revision finally available from HP directly, I am very, very tempted to pull the trigger on the Reverb right about now.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I was able to return my HP Reverb to HP for a new model replacement, I'm assuming since directly from HP it will be a revised model.

I should be getting it tomorrow

Interesting Hafer, I have similar setup - I'm curious why "1.1" and not just "1.0" - do you notice a difference ? I run 1.0 with MSAA 2x, perhaps running 1.1 without it is achieving the same end goal ?

I guess you have the consumer edition not the pro. I had the pro (now consumer) and compared to the consumer your eyes are a bit more off the lenses.

I'm using foam from https://vrcover.com (Odysee+ fits well)

I returned my consumer edition and getting pro tomorrow.

Is this because of the leather vs. cloth - I assumed they were identical outside of that ?