HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Do any of you leave your computer off with the Reverb connected to it?

I've been working like crazy lately and haven't had time to do any flying.

Anytime I turn on my PC after it's been off, I have to unplug the reverb and plug it back in because it's unresponsive.

I have to unplug after SteamVR updates, which are pretty frequent.

Make sure you cover the lenses when not in use, I use the bag.it came with, as you want to prevent dust and light

My PC powers down/sleep when pressing power button so I tend to 'turn it off' when I'm not flying

Oh if I'm not using it I just turn the PC off which turns off anything connected to the pcie usb card.

But for me it seems anytime I turn the PC back on and I end up wanting to use the headset, picking it up doesn't activate the wmr portal.

My Odyssey always remained in sleep mode even if the PC was on and anytime I would touch it, it would wake up and launch wmr portal.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Anytime I turn on my PC after it's been off, I have to unplug the reverb and plug it back in because it's unresponsive.

I leave mine connected and regularly sleep my PC.

It wouldn't wake when I had it connected to the native Intel USB ports but plugging it into the onboard ASMedia 3.1 ports resolved that issue for me.

Gentlemen, very good evening to you. I’d like to share my happiness with you) I’ve recently received renewed HP Reverb Pro and it’s awesome even comparing to my previous Rift S.

Got some performance issues at the beginning and problem with headset awakening, but everything has been solved by using action steps from this link.

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/08/moving-from-oculus-to-reverb/

So if someone has some extra money to get a nice picture in the Sim, Reverb is highly recommended!

I leave mine connected and regularly sleep my PC.

It wouldn't wake when I had it connected to the native Intel USB ports but plugging it into the onboard ASMedia 3.1 ports resolved that issue for me.

That's odd that the pcie card would not wake it up for me unless I unplug it.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I leave mine connected, but close down both the Steam VR, and Windows Mixed Reality portal programs. This seems to turn off the headset, and I haven't had any problems with it not working when picked up.

The only problem I have had is with lateral movement not working correctly sometimes. ie side-to-side or up-down movement. Looking left, right, up or down all work fine, but lateral movement makes the cockpit move as well.

Rebooting the computer seems to correct this, so it's mostly just annoying.

I leave mine connected, but close down both the Steam VR, and Windows Mixed Reality portal programs. This seems to turn off the headset, and I haven't had any problems with it not working when picked up.

The only problem I have had is with lateral movement not working correctly sometimes. ie side-to-side or up-down movement. Looking left, right, up or down all work fine, but lateral movement makes the cockpit move as well.

Rebooting the computer seems to correct this, so it's mostly just annoying.

I will have to keep an eye on this and if it keeps occurring maybe talk to the HP about this. Because the odyssey behaved exactly like you described. I also close out of the steam vr and wmr portal. The headset is fine if I pick it up after I close out of wmr and steam, it turns on.

It just doesn't do this if I turn off the PC and turn it back on later.

So having finally had the time to try out my reverb (been sat in the box for nearly a week) I must say I’m not sure it’s a keeper for me sadly. If I’d got the reverb instead of the rift s I would have been blown away by the clarity, but I didn’t. It is certainly clearer than the S but imho not by an awful lot (I’m gonna have a go on the S again tonight just to make sure.)

Performance wise it’s not too bad but not as smooth as the S at pd 1.4 and 2x aa (no aa in the reverb and 100% SS.) it judders quite a bit though I have followed the instructions on how to turn on what I’m going to call “steams asw” (delete the // in notepad) though interestingly it doesn’t come up as on in the steam vr settings that it is on.

All of this stuff I’m sure could be improved with some tinkering but the big one for me is how uncomfortable the reverb is, jeez it’s grim in there if you have a nose like mine! No matter how I shift it about it presses on the bridge of my nose and becomes really rather sore after a short while. For me that is the major issue combined with not really seeing £600 worth of improvement over the rift S.

obviously these won’t be issues for most people, but the nose pain is really putting me off the reverb

I leave mine connected all the time and works perfectly every time I turn on the PC. Connected to a Motherboard 3.1 USB (TUF Z370 Pro)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

@Digitalvole - my Reverb doesn't even touch my nose; have you adjusted the head-strap so it sits a little higher? Just a thought...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I leave mine connected all the time and works perfectly every time I turn on the PC. Connected to a Motherboard 3.1 USB (TUF Z370 Pro)
Maybe that's why because I have it connected to the pcie usb 3.0 card? All my Mobo ports are full.
So having finally had the time to try out my reverb (been sat in the box for nearly a week) I must say I’m not sure it’s a keeper for me sadly. If I’d got the reverb instead of the rift s I would have been blown away by the clarity, but I didn’t. It is certainly clearer than the S but imho not by an awful lot (I’m gonna have a go on the S again tonight just to make sure.)

Performance wise it’s not too bad but not as smooth as the S at pd 1.4 and 2x aa (no aa in the reverb and 100% SS.) it judders quite a bit though I have followed the instructions on how to turn on what I’m going to call “steams asw” (delete the // in notepad) though interestingly it doesn’t come up as on in the steam vr settings that it is on.

All of this stuff I’m sure could be improved with some tinkering but the big one for me is how uncomfortable the reverb is, jeez it’s grim in there if you have a nose like mine! No matter how I shift it about it presses on the bridge of my nose and becomes really rather sore after a short while. For me that is the major issue combined with not really seeing £600 worth of improvement over the rift S.

obviously these won’t be issues for most people, but the nose pain is really putting me off the reverb

That's unfortunate, yea the headset itself is a bit more comfortable than the Odyssey but I feel like overtightened it.

In order to see if steam asw is working, there is also a line you uncomment it's motionreprojectionIndicator.

Never tried the rift S but I know I always need to wear my contacts with any headset. The clarity is very big coming from the Odyssey.

@rrohde Some of us have more nose than others ;) but I will try again with the straps

@sze5003 Yeah bummer, but so it goes, and it’s mainly my faces fault rather than the reverb. I will try what you suggest RE the indicator to see if it is actually on. And to be honest if money was not an issue and my honker wasn’t quite so big I’d probably keep it, and if I can sort out this stuff in the next day or two I will. :)

I

@rrohde Some of us have more nose than others ;) but I will try again with the straps

@sze5003 Yeah bummer, but so it goes, and it’s mainly my faces fault rather than the reverb. I will try what you suggest RE the indicator to see if it is actually on. And to be honest if money was not an issue and my honker wasn’t quite so big I’d probably keep it, and if I can sort out this stuff in the next day or two I will. :)

I

I think my nose could be big but I just feel a lot of pressure on the forehead. What rhode mentioned could help out. I didn't even mess with the top strap because I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Either way if it's not comfortable for you, no one can fault you for that.

I think this has to do with win10 not shutting down fully then waking up with messed up start up and services. look up "fully shot down win10".

I shutdown with Win+X, U, U keys. I thinks you can also hold "Shift" before clicking shutdown

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Although I know that the comfort factor makes it a no-go for you at the moment, you can get rid of the juddering by setting DCS PD to 1.0. It won't decrease the clarity of the Reverb.

For setting up motion reprojection in SteamVR for WMR, have a look at this link if you want to give it another shot.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks for the link eaglecrash867, I will check it out. I’ve just spent another couple of hours with the reverb and done a little tinkering and it’s great apart from the nose thing. I got the reporojection working with the indicator on and the little boxes were in the blue for 90% of the time and it felt nice and smooth, I really don’t want to part with it now.

But I’ve got to sort out the comfort aspect somehow, the nose bit pushes on the left side of my nose (how much are nose jobs these days?)

One thing I did notice tonight was a pinkish smudge on the far right side of the right lens, just about to google that and see if it’s normal or not

I think this has to do with win10 not shutting down fully then waking up with messed up start up and services. look up "fully shot down win10".

I shutdown with Win+X, U, U keys. I thinks you can also hold "Shift" before clicking shutdown

Yea this may have something to do with it. I'll try your suggestion next time.

Thanks for the link eaglecrash867, I will check it out. I’ve just spent another couple of hours with the reverb and done a little tinkering and it’s great apart from the nose thing. I got the reporojection working with the indicator on and the little boxes were in the blue for 90% of the time and it felt nice and smooth, I really don’t want to part with it now.

But I’ve got to sort out the comfort aspect somehow, the nose bit pushes on the left side of my nose (how much are nose jobs these days?)

One thing I did notice tonight was a pinkish smudge on the far right side of the right lens, just about to google that and see if it’s normal or not

A pinkish smudge? Hopefully you didn't end up making the same mistake I did. When I got mine, I didn't see the protective film on the lenses. It was so thin and looked transparent in lower light, that the only way I knew it was there was when I was wondering why there was this strange distortion of focus and color in one spot on the screen.

Because of how the Reverb settles into my face, the main problem I had after getting the protective film removed was with a blue halo around the edges of the display, most visible at the bottom. It turns out that my eyes were just a little too close to the lenses, so my solution was to put a cheap piece of self-adhesive foam weather stripping on the face pad to push it just a tiny bit further from my eyes. Something like that may help with your nose issues. It would be really cool as VR progresses if someone came up with a phone app or something that lets you take biometric measurements of your face and have a custom facepad made for you.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I see very little discussion anymore about Mura. Mine seem pretty bad. Am I the only one

BTW, mines from batch 2

Mine is from batch 2 and has poor mura/DSE but I rarely notice it so doesnt really affect me. Although I might call support in case there has been an improvement but as its a function generally of LCDs and panels I am not expecting much. TVs have been suffering it for years and only really high end panels through cherry picking/binning seem to diminish it. :cry::huh:

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Oh there was no missing the lens covers on my one, they were very blue. :)

Just got off the phone with HP and they are going to be replacing it (hopefully at any rate, the guy wasn’t sure about stock levels.)

I was wondering if the heavy cable is pulling it down on the left side and that it why it’s pushing against the side of my nose. If so that must be fixable with getting the wires arranged better when I wear it.

I also notice the mura more than I thought I would, but it’s not game breaking and only really an issue for me in missions where it’s very bright.

Thanks for all the advice, it really helps :)

It turns out that if I plug my Reverb into my motherboard USB 3.0 port it I can shutdown the PC, turn the PC back on and I notice windows mixed reality portal boots up which means Headset wakes up if I pick it up.

If I plug the reverb into my startek USB 3.0 card and I turn off the pc and turn it back on, the wmr portal does not pop up and the headset will not awake unless I manually open windows mixed reality app.

This is weird, the last reverb headset had no issues waking up by being picked up when it was plugged into my pcie USB card.

I know it's not an issue with the pcie card because I have a small USB extension that is plugged in there too and when I turn on the PC the light on the extension lights up meaning it provides power without issue once the computer is on.

@Digitalvole are they sending you a replacement first? Or do you have to send yours in first ?

@sze5003 I’ve got to send it back first and then they will send a replacement, it says reverb pro on the box but I don’t mind :) my one was activating wmr when I put it on but now when I shutdown my computer it takes quite a bit longer to actually turn off.

On a side note did you see much performance gain from OCing your cpu? I’m considering it but last time I did it my temps were getting up into the 90s and I don’t know how much difference 0.3ghz will make

Edit. I had mine plugged into the inatek usb card that oculus recommended

Oh there was no missing the lens covers on my one, they were very blue. :)

Just got off the phone with HP and they are going to be replacing it (hopefully at any rate, the guy wasn’t sure about stock levels.)

I was wondering if the heavy cable is pulling it down on the left side and that it why it’s pushing against the side of my nose. If so that must be fixable with getting the wires arranged better when I wear it.

I also notice the mura more than I thought I would, but it’s not game breaking and only really an issue for me in missions where it’s very bright.

Thanks for all the advice, it really helps :)

For the cable issue, I usually just sit on my cable while leaving enough slack in it to allow for unrestricted head movement. Since the cable is so stiff, it pretty much stands on its own and doesn't pull down on the HMD when I have it set up like that. That has the added benefit of relieving mechanical stress on the connector. Unfortunately, DP connectors are very fragile, unreliable, and cheesy, so they need all the help they can get. Wish the manufacturers would have gotten that figured out before forcing it on everybody as the new standard.

I know your question about OCing was directed at Sze, but as for me, I didn't have any noticeable improvement in performance going from 3.7GHz to 4.7GHz. It might make a difference on the FPS counter, but I figure if I can't see it with my eyes, it doesn't matter what the FPS counter says. I just left mine at 4.7 though, because it does seem to make a pretty big difference in other applications, such as video encoding.

For the cable issue, I usually just sit on my cable while leaving enough slack in it to allow for unrestricted head movement. Since the cable is so stiff, it pretty much stands on its own and doesn't pull down on the HMD when I have it set up like that. That has the added benefit of relieving mechanical stress on the connector. Unfortunately, DP connectors are very fragile, unreliable, and cheesy, so they need all the help they can get. Wish the manufacturers would have gotten that figured out before forcing it on everybody as the new standard.

I know your question about OCing was directed at Sze, but as for me, I didn't have any noticeable improvement in performance going from 3.7GHz to 4.7GHz. It might make a difference on the FPS counter, but I figure if I can't see it with my eyes, it doesn't matter what the FPS counter says. I just left mine at 4.7 though, because it does seem to make a pretty big difference in other applications, such as video encoding.

:thumbup:

Wise words.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|