Wait....seriously!!!???!!! The HUD doesn't show airspeed????

gmelinite

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I told a friend of mine, " Now we really need to learn flying an aircraft.“

Was a good laugh, but the good thing is, the F-14 gives you all the cues from visual to sound, to fly it seat-of-the-pants. So a quick glance to the instrument block and remember the needle position representative for certain speeds etc. is not too difficult.

The most important thing for me is to put instrument lighting on...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

gauges are very hard to read especially alt and speed

i hope they will add speed and alt to hud

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

gauges are very hard to read especially alt and speed

i hope they will add speed and alt to hud

Have to always zoom in close to read airspeed and altitude.

Like a fellow has suggested, turning instruments lighting help somewhat.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The two situations where I find reading the analog speed dial difficult are when trying to maintain corner speed, or when trying to maintain speed in a sustained turn. Even then the only reason I find it difficult is the resolution; with the FOV I need to fly the numbers are incredibly small and fuzzy.

No, no! It's impossible to fly without airspeed on the HUD, just like it is impossible to drive across town without Google Maps on your iPhone!

The Spitfire has airspeed on the HUD right? That's how the RAF won the Battle of Britain... ;)

Viewpoints are my own.

No, no! It's impossible to fly without airspeed on the HUD, just like it is impossible to drive across town without Google Maps on your iPhone!

The Spitfire has airspeed on the HUD right? That's how the RAF won the Battle of Britain... ;)

The sarcasm is strong with this one. Hahahaha I was thinking the same thing.

"Chops"

I hope they will not, it is not realistic.

Fly the F18 if you want alt and ias on the hud...

Why the FA-18, if I look closely, the f-18 is not the only module in dcs that has airspeed and altitude indicators on the HUD.

I kind of see this as being cynical to the f-18.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The Spitfire has airspeed on the HUD right? That's how the RAF won the Battle of Britain...

OUCH!

We have been spoiled and pampered with some of the modern aircraft at our disposal...… With the limited time I've been able to devote to the cat, I am LOVIN IT!!

This southern winter is going to be filled with many flight hours.

| FC3 | KA-50 | A-10C | MIG-21Bis | F-86F | UH-1H | HAWK T.1A | F/A-18C | AV-8B N\A | F-14B | F-16C | AJS-37 | CA | NEVADA | PERSIAN GULF | SUPER CARRIER | SYRIA

I hope they will not, it is not realistic.

Fly the F18 if you want alt and ias on the hud...

not able to read the gauges also is not realistic

and i think they (b models) got a hud update later, so speed info added. i don't think tomcat pilots complained because it wasn't realistic...

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

The two situations where I find reading the analog speed dial difficult are when trying to maintain corner speed, or when trying to maintain speed in a sustained turn. Even then the only reason I find it difficult is the resolution; with the FOV I need to fly the numbers are incredibly small and fuzzy.
Do not "read" the numbers, memorize needle positions. 10k ft and below 7 o'clock equals about 350 it's IAS. The machine numbers are quite ok.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

not able to read the gauges also is not realistic

and i think they (b models) got a hud update later, so speed info added. i don't think tomcat pilots complained because it wasn't realistic...

Correct

The sim world is so different from the real would in flight sim. I am sure real pilot were able to see the flight instruments with ease. A little contrast would help those who equally love this aircraft and want to fly it.

It's tough without at least track IR and some zoom. When in doubt, spend money. ;)

This!!

Do not "read" the numbers, memorize needle positions. 10k ft and below 7 o'clock equals about 350 it's IAS. The machine numbers are quite ok.

And so much this!! :D

Seriously, no one needs to know he is going 320 or 335 KIAS, just remember the most important needle positions. That is most definitely visible w/o zoom.

If you need to absolutely see details on any given gauge: lean in and maybe add a bit of zoom, done.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Why do you want the speed in the HUD? Why is it so important to you?

Honestly, I need the speed only for informational purpose from time to time.

And I think everyone is refering to the F-18 because people are coming from her, are used to all her comfort and thought they could now fly that cool plane from Top Gun in the same way.

It is just simply not... The F-14 is a granny. A real cool one, but still a granny. F14D - Super Tomcat is what you are looking for, but that has not anymore much to do with a "real" F-14...

Wait for the A version (which was used for more then 80%(?) in RL) and then whining will really start...

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Correct

The sim world is so different from the real would in flight sim. I am sure real pilot were able to see the flight instruments with ease. A little contrast would help those who equally love this aircraft and want to fly it.

Equally flying based on feel/"seat of your pants" IRL rather than looking at speed/alt gauges is probably much more doable because the seat of your pants is actually getting some feedback.

And as you note, an awful lot of things in the cockpit are between quite and incredibly hard to read. I'm reminded of doing the cold start training mission and struggling to make out (even on full zoom) with certainty the markings of the position on the BIT dial on the RH console. Although i'll try an earlier suggestion someone made of sticking the console lighting on to see if it improves things.

Why do you want the speed in the HUD? Why is it so important to you?

Honestly, I need the speed only for informational purpose from time to time.

And I think everyone is refering to the F-18 because people are coming from her, are used to all her comfort and thought they could now fly that cool plane from Top Gun in the same way.

It is just simply not... The F-14 is a granny. A real cool one, but still a granny. F14D - Super Tomcat is what you are looking for, but that has not anymore much to do with a "real" F-14...

Wait for the A version (which was used for more then 80%(?) in RL) and then whining will really start...

Speed is important when your are flying in formation (rpm also), refueling, landing (aoa also), dive bombing.

Anyway everyone has different thoughts. Consequenlty i am having difficulties because of blurry fonts and its location in the cockpit despite i have trackir. and i will be happy if it's done

happy flights

Youtube

Regarding the speed, I too dont want anything unrealistic on the hud. If thats how it is, then thats how it is. I would suggest one compromise, in Dave Baranek's 'Top Gun Day's', he mentions when at Top Gun, his pilot requested he make speed calls ever few seconds or so, so he knew his energy state, but could keep his head out the cockpit. Maybe that would be an interesting option to ask Jester? If he isnt too busy making witty epiphets or telling you that you are about to die that is. I accept that would be a big update, but think, you are only talking about a narrow speed range between 400 and 200 knots, maybe about 5 knot increments. Just a thought.

Personally I don’t see the need for it but if you do then surely that highlights something you need to work on.

The day you say “I’m as a good pilot as I can ever be” is the day you should stop flying. Every flight you should be looking to improve and waiting for a gadget to solve a shortcoming is self defeating.

Just my opinion of course.