Wait....seriously!!!???!!! The HUD doesn't show airspeed????

gmelinite

I took the F14 up to 35k and did mach 2.0, looked and the map speed it was at ~1150. Calculated for temp it would have to be -70F... burr, is that correct?

That's about right. Look up Adiabatic Lapse Rate. Report your findings here.

Viewpoints are my own.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I miss on the HUD on the Tomcat is a velocity vector/flight path marker. In T/O and Landing HUD mode there's too much information since I'm already used to glance at the gauges in that thing.

Try using the declutter switch next to HUD mode switches.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

That's about right. Look up Adiabatic Lapse Rate. Report your findings here.

Very cool, yeah I edited my post to show a second test with the map temp set to 38c vs -12.5c with the first, Mach 2.0 went up 50knots at the higher map temp. Thanks

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

No, no! It's impossible to fly without airspeed on the HUD, just like it is impossible to drive across town without Google Maps on your iPhone!

The Spitfire has airspeed on the HUD right? That's how the RAF won the Battle of Britain... ;)

You sir are my spirit animal. That is all.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Mach number is nothing more than a ratio of an object's actual dynamic pressure related to the speed of sound at a particular air density. Speed of sound varies primarily with temperature, so it really doesn't tell you precisely what you need for maneuvering per se. .7 Mach at SL is a lot more maneuvering energy than .7 Mach at 50,000 feet.

Go sample this, you have a simulator in your hands. Report back at the difference in G capability in those two situations.

Yeah, think I got it. Does make sense now.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

something like that.

Here are the corner speeds assuming a 5.5G limit and a figher loadout (4SW+4SP)

5000ft

M 0.45 260 KIAS

10000ft

M 0.52 290 KIAS

15000ft

M 0.59 295 KIAS

30000ft

M 1.0 340 KIAS

As you can see both numbers increase significantly, but especially mach number at high altitudes.

Thank you, this is extremely helpful.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

No, no! It's impossible to fly without airspeed on the HUD, just like it is impossible to drive across town without Google Maps on your iPhone!

The Spitfire has airspeed on the HUD right? That's how the RAF won the Battle of Britain... ;)

This. I was driving to lunch following a car, pondering my existentiality and the fact that I didn’t need to know what speed I was driving or how fast the car in front of me was driving to maintain an exact distance.

In fact the only reason I need to know what speed I’m going is not to get a ticket. I can tell from experience and the buffeting sounds when I’m about to understeer cornering. I don’t need to know how fast I’m going to know how much distance I need to brake sufficiently. I’m not going to check a chart before hitting them. All of this comes with experience, practice and learning your vehicle.

The hardest transition I had to make from sims to real A/C was to get my head out of the cockpit and look outside. I had one instructor cover the panel with a sun visor to prove a point. Stop trying to fly the instruments and fly the plane.

Lack of "features" on the part of the A/C, is no excuse basic Airmanship. And before someone tells me this isn’t real life and lack of G-Forces equals the need for artistic license in how we interact and experience this A/C in the air, I concur with the suggestion to go have fun on some arcade AC7 or whatever.

And that ASI is used in other A/C from that era, so its not unique to the Tomcat either. More likely they were used because pilots had become familiar with the corresponding position of the needle to IAS.

Its an accurate representation of the HUD, probably more accurate than its RL counterpart actually, but the soapbox go fly ace combat or you don't need to know airspeed learn to fly stuff isn't necessary.

I've never flown an F-14 of any variant, but i've flow a lot of different aircraft - fixed and rotary. Gauges are hard to read in VR, in RL its a quick eye movement to check. Analogue gauges are fine, pilots learn a pattern during different phases of flight that you glance and check. In sims its much less convenient to check, you've either got to look down and lean forward, or if not VR switch your view. Worse, in every sim you are missing the most important instrument of all - your ass. I can't feel the plane float, or feel when its uncoordinated, feel sweep angle change or feel control pressures through the stick, G load, or the thunk of various mechanical functions like DLC - so my ability to know what's going on with the jet depends on those gauges. I certainly do NOT want them to add airspeed or anything not realistic to the module, but I definitely understand why people might struggle. During flight the velocity vector seems more of an indication of attitude, as evident by the large vertical speeds when you put it on the horizon (and no ghost, etc)

I do hope HB makes a D, and would gladly pay for it. I'd still fly the B because I personally enjoy it, sometimes I prefer glass cockpits other times old school vacuum. However, DCS seems to be focusing in on a turn of the century era focused sim. The D was an impressive upgrade, first fighter with IRST (side question - is this why so much is classified?), APG71 that was quit effective at range, particularly if datalinked with other cat, vastly improved defense and nav. It would fit nicely with the hornet and 16CJ, but that's a whole different conversation.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Its an accurate representation of the HUD, probably more accurate than its RL counterpart actually, but the soapbox go fly ace combat or you don't need to know airspeed learn to fly stuff isn't necessary.

I've never flown an F-14 of any variant, but i've flow a lot of different aircraft - fixed and rotary. Gauges are hard to read in VR, in RL its a quick eye movement to check. Analogue gauges are fine, pilots learn a pattern during different phases of flight that you glance and check. In sims its much less convenient to check, you've either got to look down and lean forward, or if not VR switch your view. Worse, in every sim you are missing the most important instrument of all - your ass. I can't feel the plane float, or feel when its uncoordinated, feel sweep angle change or feel control pressures through the stick, G load, or the thunk of various mechanical functions like DLC - so my ability to know what's going on with the jet depends on those gauges. I certainly do NOT want them to add airspeed or anything not realistic to the module, but I definitely understand why people might struggle. During flight the velocity vector seems more of an indication of attitude, as evident by the large vertical speeds when you put it on the horizon (and no ghost, etc)

I do hope HB makes a D, and would gladly pay for it. I'd still fly the B because I personally enjoy it, sometimes I prefer glass cockpits other times old school vacuum. However, DCS seems to be focusing in on a turn of the century era focused sim. The D was an impressive upgrade, first fighter with IRST (side question - is this why so much is classified?), APG71 that was quit effective at range, particularly if datalinked with other cat, vastly improved defense and nav. It would fit nicely with the hornet and 16CJ, but that's a whole different conversation.

That pretty much sums it up. :)

Shagrat

Regarding the speed, I too dont want anything unrealistic on the hud. If thats how it is, then thats how it is. I would suggest one compromise, in Dave Baranek's 'Top Gun Day's', he mentions when at Top Gun, his pilot requested he make speed calls ever few seconds or so, so he knew his energy state, but could keep his head out the cockpit. Maybe that would be an interesting option to ask Jester? If he isnt too busy making witty epiphets or telling you that you are about to die that is. I accept that would be a big update, but think, you are only talking about a narrow speed range between 400 and 200 knots, maybe about 5 knot increments. Just a thought.

Hmmm, great thought. It would be cool if, as pilots, we could have a personal Jester configuration that we worked out with him before jumping into the cockpit.

I'd certainly appreciate certain airspeed callouts, some absolute and some relative. Obvious these would be situation dependent, e.g., you're getting slow.... I think somehow Heatblur has modeled this is well into the cockpit shake, but Jester could certainly help here.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Check out the Orlando F-14 demonstration on YouTube that is inside the cockpit with the RIO...

He's constantly giving altitude, speed, wing sweep calling for "cans" all kinds of info. I know some thinks it's TMI but it sure seemed it helped. One point he called out that he was losing altitude in the minimum radius circle slightly and you see the back angle change.

All about teamwork! :D

Check out the Orlando F-14 demonstration on YouTube that is inside the cockpit with the RIO...

He's constantly giving altitude, speed, wing sweep calling for "cans" all kinds of info. I know some thinks it's TMI but it sure seemed it helped. One point he called out that he was losing altitude in the minimum radius circle slightly and you see the back angle change.

All about teamwork! :D

Had a buddy do the call outs while i flew the Demo the other day, was SUPER helpful and made it a lot easier to manage.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

My wife and I are both in our early fifties. Two years ago, after a quarter of a century driving minivans and Suburbans, she bought a Honda Civic Si with a manual transmission. And next year I am planning to buy a new Mustang GT with a manual, also. Why? Because we both prefer the experience of driving manual transmission cars.

However, if I was going to race seriously, I would drive a car with a dual clutch transmission and paddle shifters. Why? Because the goal would be winning races and I believe that would give an advantage over manual transmissions.

I love flying the F-14B in DCS. Certainly, the cockpit and other technologies are products of their time and come up lacking when compared to more modern jets, but it is fun as hell to fly. It really is more of a pilot's aircraft.

That being said, if I didn't need the specific capabilities of the F-14B, I would prefer to go to war in a jet with a HUD, modern sensors and displays, and, yes, even a FBW system.

My wife and I are both in our early fifties. Two years ago, after a quarter of a century driving minivans and Suburbans, she bought a Honda Civic Si with a manual transmission. And next year I am planning to buy a new Mustang GT with a manual, also. Why? Because we both prefer the experience of driving manual transmission cars.

However, if I was going to race seriously, I would drive a car with a dual clutch transmission and paddle shifters. Why? Because the goal would be winning races and I believe that would give an advantage over manual transmissions.

I love flying the F-14B in DCS. Certainly, the cockpit and other technologies are products of their time and come up lacking when compared to more modern jets, but it is fun as hell to fly. It really is more of a pilot's aircraft.

That being said, if I didn't need the specific capabilities of the F-14B, I would prefer to go to war in a jet with a HUD, modern sensors and displays, and, yes, even a FBW system.

Yeah, I'd prefer photon torpedoes and a cloaking device, that that wasn't reality way back when.

As far as war, it's someone else's turn...

Viewpoints are my own.

You wouldn't be able to race a dual clutch transmission with paddle shifters against a manual transmission car, since when you wanna race seriously you have to meet a set of regulations for the type of car and class you try to attend. It was between 1989 (first introduction of semi auto gearbox with paddle shifters in f1) and i think 1993 or 1994(where everybody was using paddle shifters and semi-/automatic gearboxes) the last time when paddle shifters raced against h-gated manual shifter cars.

And as a soldier, as far as i know, you cannot choose your equipment and have to use what has been provided to you. ;)

Racing is competition with an equal chance for everybody to win, within a given set of rules and marshals and race control watching every move of every driver during a race.

War on the other side isn't a fair competition for every participant. ;)

Make the best from what you've got. A motto for a lot of situations in life. :)

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

You wouldn't be able to race a dual clutch transmission with paddle shifters against a manual transmission car, since when you wanna race seriously you have to meet a set of regulations for the type of car and class you try to attend. It was between 1989 (first introduction of semi auto gearbox with paddle shifters in f1) and i think 1993 or 1994(where everybody was using paddle shifters and semi-/automatic gearboxes) the last time when paddle shifters raced against h-gated manual shifter cars.

Racing is competition with an equal chance for everybody to win, within a given set of rules and marshals and race control watching every move of every driver during a race.

War on the other side isn't a fair competition for every participant. ;)

Make the best from what you've got. A motto for a lot of situations in life. :)

True as far as it goes. If you race under those rules it is out of your hands. There are, however, unofficial races such drag strips and track days where being the fastest, i.e. "winning", might be just as important to a person. As a rule, no such rules exist and it is come as you are.

And as a soldier, as far as i know, you cannot choose your equipment and have to use what has been provided to you. ;)

Yeah, those days of bringing your own rifle or photon torpedoes are long past.;) You go to war with the gear you got.

That would pretty much be the F-14D ?

Even though I admit that, the F-14A and B HUDs symbols and logic were clearly not as innovative as the F-15 Eagle one's (which came out soon after the F-14A), personally I would prefer "to go to war" in the F-14.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Hmmm, great thought. It would be cool if, as pilots, we could have a personal Jester configuration that we worked out with him before jumping into the cockpit.

I'd certainly appreciate certain airspeed callouts, some absolute and some relative. Obvious these would be situation dependent, e.g., you're getting slow.... I think somehow Heatblur has modeled this is well into the cockpit shake, but Jester could certainly help here.

Yep. They do already have an option where Jester can give altitude readouts when landing after all, and I find that very helpful. As we can see from interviews, its not as if it would be unrealistic or gamey, they really did this kind of thing. Its perfectly true you can get some idea of speed from the aircraft (or at least, angle of attack) and the noises it makes. But someone acting as a phonic speed readout would be useful in ACM I think. Im getting there I might add, but using vr its helpful to have as many ques as you can get. Its not THAT easy to read the speedo when you are in vr, even less so when your F14 start shaking like a belly dancer in protest at your poor flying. :D