Heatblur any word on the Pilot Lantirn Mod?

Neuse

"It's very much against the design principle we've had when developing the aircraft where whatever is in the backseat is handled by the backseater (be it JESTER or a human RIO) and we will make sure that "purity" is kept as much as we can.

That said, we realize that launching sans Jester operating the TGP is a bit of a pain right now, especially in MP - so we're not doing anything on this until we get Jester to learn the LANTIRN, which shouldn't be long. :)"

"It's very much against the design principle we've had when developing the aircraft where whatever is in the backseat is handled by the backseater (be it JESTER or a human RIO) and we will make sure that "purity" is kept as much as we can.

That said, we realize that launching sans Jester operating the TGP is a bit of a pain right now, especially in MP - so we're not doing anything on this until we get Jester to learn the LANTIRN, which shouldn't be long. :)"

Thank you

Was just curious what it all about...

I'll probably never understand the whole reddit / hoggit thing. There's a link to a comment... on what? Just has that "So a thing happened on GAW tonight" title above it and a tiny little thumbnail of a pic, but can't find out how to get anywhere to see what it's all about. Clicking it just opens a page that loads forever without anything actually opening up.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Hmmm, don't like the "Purity" when it comes to being able to switch the backseat in multiplayer. I hope that desire is realized soon. I am not a backseater and I really don't know that many that want to just be the RIO. It is a dream come true, this F-14B. My very first sim was Fleet Defender so...

I'll go with whatever but people are actively working on mods for this issue.

I'm on Heatblurs side here. The main reason for the backseat RIO when they designed the F14 was to take a load off the pilot's shoulder and allow him/her to focus on flying the plane. Allowing the pilot to have front seat control of backseat operations completely betrays that principle. To me, it feels like I'm not doing anything in the front seat, and always want to fiddle with buttons, but that's the tomcat. Pilot maneuvers and the RIO gets to play with all the toys. However, I would like to see the Iceman AI get better the ability to switch to the back seat on multiplayer; but, I'd rather see Heatblur continue refining the Jester and Iceman AI rather than implementing a front seat mod that allows RIO functionality from the front seat.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Was just curious what it all about...

I'll probably never understand the whole reddit / hoggit thing. There's a link to a comment... on what? Just has that "So a thing happened on GAW tonight" title above it and a tiny little thumbnail of a pic, but can't find out how to get anywhere to see what it's all about. Clicking it just opens a page that loads forever without anything actually opening up.

Link to a comment in a thread. The question I was answering was identical to this one. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I'm curious to see how HB plans on implementing Jester's LANTIRN capability. I have no idea how they can possibly do this. Will Jester simply target anything in a given waypoint area? Will you be able to tell him what kind of targets to to lock? Issue targets on the F10 map?

I have no idea...

I'm on Heatblurs side here. The main reason for the backseat RIO when they designed the F14 was to take a load off the pilot's shoulder and allow him/her to focus on flying the plane. Allowing the pilot to have front seat control of backseat operations completely betrays that principle. To me, it feels like I'm not doing anything in the front seat, and always want to fiddle with buttons, but that's the tomcat. Pilot maneuvers and the RIO gets to play with all the toys. However, I would like to see the Iceman AI get better the ability to switch to the back seat on multiplayer; but, I'd rather see Heatblur continue refining the Jester and Iceman AI rather than implementing a front seat mod that allows RIO functionality from the front seat.

I agree with you here. I'm a single player and don't have the time commitment to a multiplayer squadron etc. I don't want the simulation to be compromised by the pilot being able to do unrealistic things. That doesn't sit right with me.

The key, like you say is to get Iceman to be more cerebral.

I'm curious to see how HB plans on implementing Jester's LANTIRN capability. I have no idea how they can possibly do this. Will Jester simply target anything in a given waypoint area? Will you be able to tell him what kind of targets to to lock? Issue targets on the F10 map?

I have no idea...

I can only (ONLY) imagine that you have to set it to fixed coordinates that you command to Jester like you can do with steering points currently. Otherwise, I also have no clue... :huh:

Please make PILOT/RIO seat swapping in multiplayer like single player a server configurable option. Multiplayer is very boring now, especially when there isn't any qualified RIOs that are willing to play.

I will make my own server with this feature ENABLED if need be, only if had I this option available.

The problem is that it is a limitation of the multicrew code by eagle dynmics and they have told that they would have to rewrite big parts of multicrew and multiplayer netcode, to make it happen. Combine it with the fact that multiplayer is a small part of the playerbase and it is not financially liable to do such thing (but I would love to see it happen)

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd ressurect this thread as there is an interesting question that I haven't found an answer to - what is the current plan for making Jester use the LANTIRN?

Basing his behaviour on the AWG-9 you'd have things like 'lock target ahead' but that would assume that Jester would scan an area (how do define said area?) and that you'd have to press a 'lock' button as he panned over a target.

If its based on F10 map / coords then that sounds more like JDAM delivery, albeit supporting the bomb post drop.

Would Jester default to some kind of snowplough mode?

I appreciate that this may all be some ways off in terms of implementation so I'm really asking about what the planned course of action is to meet the goal of "the backseater is the backseater"

The goal is more or less full Lantirn capability for Jester. And it will work similar as with waypoints, so even placing map markers will help and so forth. I don't want to go too much into detail for now, because things can still change. We'll make an update on this, once it is further along. As you can imagine, it is rather complicated to achieve, but we are getting there.

As for the pilot mod, it will stay active until we are finished with Jester Lantirn, as we promised. From that point on, whether we want or not, "reachback mods" (means mods allowing the pilot to mod in RIO inputs), will not be possible anymore. This is something owed to some changes we need to do to Multicrew, which we are currently holding back, so that you can continue to use these mods until Jester lantirn is done. After that, we simply have no choice.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Ok that clears up how we get into a general search area reasonably well. If I understand right it’s more or less make sure you have suitable waypoints defined and then you can tell Jester to slew the pod towards a waypoint much like pressing the relevant button on the side stick.

Once we are in that general area will Jester automatically point track a target based on some kind of prioritisation logic or is there a plan for pilot input in a next target last target sort of manner?

I assume there would be input wheel selection for laser codes similar to manual radio frequency entry? Similarly the little quality of life selections like white hot and black hot modes?

It seems like this process is a little more complicated to simulate than the AWG9 interactions because even with 2 human operators in real life the pilot was part of the process in locating targets on his repeater screen in a way that’s hard to tell an AI.

The goal is more or less full Lantirn capability for Jester. And it will work similar as with waypoints, so even placing map markers will help and so forth. I don't want to go too much into detail for now, because things can still change. We'll make an update on this, once it is further along. As you can imagine, it is rather complicated to achieve, but we are getting there.

How will that work in MP. I'm assuming/hoping you'll be able to command Jester to search a particular heading and range and what type of targets?

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I don't own the Viggen so the only thing I could do to try and figure this out was read through Chuck's guide. Are you referring to the data cartridge import from the F10 map?

This again feels more like a JDAM delivery to me and even assuming the kneeboard can present that kind of dynamically generated target list + selection options.....why use it? The jester wheel already exists.

Do we expect something like

Jester Menu- A/G -> LANTIRN -> Select waypoint -> 1

[fly over target area]

[wait]

Jester Menu (preselect A/G LANTIRN) - Wheel of found targets within the general area -> select target

[fly delivery]