Suspension / tire pressure / ground mass

Falkaroth

x

Edited by Falkaroth

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

I think I get what he's saying. Taxiing in real airplanes isn't nearly as smooth as it appears in DCS. Taxiways are bumpy and you definitely feel it in the plane. Modeling that would add a bit more to the immersion of the sim. Necessary, no. Nothing wrong with putting it on the wishlist, though.

Matthew 'Mags' Maclauchlan

Oculus CV1, Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS/Pedals

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Ground handling is modeled in some of the aircraft, right? Taxi turn to quickly and you can ground loop and/or strike a wing?

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Doesn't seem that much different to me than the other jets in the game. Doesn't feel on rails at all however now that I've seen that video maybe the suspension could be "loosened" up a little bit? (The tires are not the cause of the wobbling, the suspension is)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Feels like something's missing here. If I'm not completely mistaken, the Viggen has all this modelled. So my guess is as usual: Early Access.

On the other hoof though, the Tomcat also shares something with the other modules HB made so far, which is that strange alternating left/right roll bumping at higher speeds when still on the ground which gradually builds up that much that the plane eventually loses a wing due to this. Had that already in the Tomcat and didn't like it.

Another feature shared across the modules is the constant need for a little bit of left rudder to stay on track when taxiing. And yes, I've double checked my rudder pedals thrice and didn't touch my rudder trim at all and having absolutely no wind on my testing maps. They all do it. MiG-21 (now M³), Viggen and F-14B. Not a biggie though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Another feature shared across the modules is the constant need for a little bit of left rudder to stay on track when taxiing. And yes, I've double checked my rudder pedals thrice and didn't touch my rudder trim at all and having absolutely no wind on my testing maps. They all do it. MiG-21 (now M³), Viggen and F-14B. Not a biggie though.

Im not having that last one, straight as an arrow for me when keeping her at taxiing speeds (NWS engaged).

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we need input from an actual F-14 pilot before we can comment whether this is unrealistic or not. Remember this is a carrier aircraft and as such will have a very differently setup suspension system for coping with carrier landing rather then being deployed from rough airfields etc.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL. I think someone has had enough of something :).

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Anyway, to get back on the original "topic , here is a good video showing the Tomcat's suspension and ground "physics" in action.

3HgUJT2zdYs

Great example Airhunter...shows that the HB Tomcat should be a little more "bouncy" on the ground.

Off topic, but the video also shows that the vapor effects could be improved/added to as well.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Yes, that maybe too but it also depends on various external factors. As for the suspension the current tomcat is way too stiff (like a formula 1 car) and the suspension does not really react to tight turns, ordenance or fuel tanks being loaded or short brake applications. Something that can surely be improved in the future, however for me it's quite low priority right now.