F-14 Tomcat general questions thread

Mike Busutil

Can we make this a sticky to help keep track of all the general F-14 questions about functionality?

My 1st question is where is the canopy switch?

I found the description of the canopy control handle in the manual on page 103 that states "The handle is mounted downwards beneath the box containing the handle mechanism and the handle position texts" however when I am in the cockpit & using Track IR I am unable to see or click on the canopy handle. Is this switch currently modeled and I am missing it or is it not implemented just yet? (Ctrl+C) works however I like clicking buttons. Thanks!

c3jyPnm.png

I have a General question.

What does flicking up the ACM cover actually do?

According to the manual: "Lifting the ACM (Air combat maneuver) cover actives the ACM mode".

But you can already access all the radar lock modes, PAL, VSL hi/lo and set missiles to boresight for close fights without flicking that cover.

So aside from accessing the jettison button, why would you flick it? What does the manual mean?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

I am not sure, I go from memory. But I think I read that flipping the cover. Makes it so that the phoenix are ready to go active of the rail and can be launched after a 2sec trigger press instead of the longer trigger press of normal mode

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I think it is neither possible in the sim nor in the real aircraft, as the mechanism is interlocked. This wing configuration was made possible specifically for the test flight to test the airworthiness in the case of an emergency due to severe damage to the wing sweep mechanism for example.

Is it possible to do this in the sim? I'm mostly interested in how this can be done and how they did it during the real test. Thanks.

That was done in testing by mechanically bypassing some of the locks that are supposed to prevent that to prove the aircraft could fly and even land with asymmetric wing sweep if I recall correctly. Hopefully you do not break a wing sweep screw or other wing sweep parts.

Salute,

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I think it is neither possible in the sim nor in the real aircraft, as the mechanism is interlocked. This wing configuration was made possible specifically for the test flight to test the airworthiness in the case of an emergency due to severe damage to the wing sweep mechanism for example.

It was deemed impossible. So it happened twice. God Bless the Fleet Naval Aviator.

Viewpoints are my own.

In the real Tomcat, did you indeed have to push the VDI display to put it into night (red) mode?

If I remember right, it was a red filter we carried to the jet and it snapped in over the screen. That was done for NVGs as well.

In the real Tomcat, did you indeed have to push the VDI display to put it into night (red) mode?

No, I was just describing to The Geniuses how there were two filters that snapped onto the VDI and HSD. They would fly off sometimes on the cat shot, and hit you in the chest. The problem was that you were blinded by the display.

I used to tape them on and carried the same little roll of masking tape for three cruises.

I love the way HB has modeled it.

Viewpoints are my own.

No, I was just describing to The Geniuses how there were two filters that snapped onto the VDI and HSD. They would fly off sometimes on the cat shot, and hit you in the chest. The problem was that you were blinded by the display.

I used to tape them on and carried the same little roll of masking tape for three cruises.

I love the way HB has modeled it.

Duh! :lol:

Now I ask myself how long it would have taken me to figure out that a simple plastic filter could have been used.

Anyway, nice insights, thanks!

BTW: Is there a thread/post/blog/whatever of you detailing your military bio?

NATOPS takeoff checklist (page 7-28 ) says :

Controls – Free, 33° Aft Stick …

I only get around 28° full aft stick (from trimmed at 0). Differential (left/right inputs) does get up to around 33°, but shouldn’t just the aft stick get up to 33°?

How do I know when Phoenix goes active?

Thanks!

The number next to the target, the seconds to impact, is supposed to start flashing. But this is not implemented yet so for now you don't know. You can guess based on rage, if it's <10nm from target it's probably active. 10nm is the target range at which it goes active from launch.

VC

I have a couple.

On turning dog fights should wings be extended...?

Saw a guy on youtube who had flaps on and wings extended in close dog fighting. Claimed it makes the aircraft turn better.

I tried it I still got my ass kicked by AI 3rd gen aircraft...

I also noticed there is the full flaps level and the partial flaps thumb thing? I guess the partial flaps is for take off and the full flaps is for landing...?

Partial flaps for dogfighting?

Iam havign a hard time dog fighting with the F14. Where as with the F18 its so much easier to handle and even use. I do like the aircraft but I do break it a lot and it handles like a bus. Where as the F18 seems more agile and nibble and the wings don't fall off. Yes I know its smaller/lighter. I guess Iam still getting use to the F14 but I do like it.

Do any of you jump to the RIO instead of using Jester? I am wondering if there might be an advantage to jumping in both seats. This bird is complicated. Its like learning two birds.

Edited by budguy68

I have a couple.

Saw a guy on youtube who had flaps on and wings extended in close dog fighting. Claimed it makes the aircraft turn better.

I tried it I still got my ass kicked by AI 3rd gen aircraft...

I also noticed there is the full flaps level and the partial flaps thumb thing? I guess the partial flaps is for take off and the full flaps is for landing...?

Iam havign a hard time dog fighting with the F14. Where as with the F18 its so much easier to handle and even use. I do like the aircraft but I do break it a lot and it handles like a bus. Where as the F18 seems more agile and nibble and the wings don't fall off. Yes I know its smaller/lighter. I guess Iam still getting use to the F14 but I do like it.

Do any of you jump to the RIO instead of using Jester? I am wondering if there might be an advantage to jumping in both seats. This bird is complicated. Its like learning two birds.

Having wings extended absolutely makes the aircraft turn better. Thing is, without fly-by-wire monitoring your AoA it's too easy to hold high AoA and lose all your speed, or snap your wings off from turning too hard at high speed. It's a plane you need to work constantly in a dogfight to maintain your energy state. If all you've flown is modern digital jets I'm not surprised it catches people out. Try watching your speed, best turn is at 300 knots, work the throttle and speedbrake to keep it there as you loop. The plane absolutely loves fighting in the vertical, don't just flat turn.

The "thumb flap thing" is for whenever you feel you need it, but if you're dogfighting those manouever flaps and slats extend and retract automatically based on AoA so you can feel free to ignore it too. Full main flaps in a dogfight though? Hmm... nope.

If you really take the time to master the RIO seat, a human RIO will always be better than Jester. But hot-seating as a newbie, when you have other problems, I would say is asking for trouble. Learn the Jester menu, it's nowhere near as complex as learning to do that stuff yourself.

VC

Flying As Rio, do you always need to input WP1 - WP3 manually?

From my limited experience so far, it looks like if you begin the mission from cold start you have to input coordinates manually. For anything else - takeoff from ramp, runway, or in flight, the coordinates are already entered.

I have a couple.

I would think leaving the wings in auto and allowing the CADC (Central Air Data Computer) to calculate the wing, slats & flap position via the wing sweep program would be the best option. That is what it is designed to do based on your airspeed.

The "the partial flaps thumb thing" is the maneuver flap system in which the CADC uses the flaps and slats automatically to improve aircraft performance. In this mode the flaps extends to 10° maximum and the slats to 7° maximum and the innermost flap section is disabled.