Why only 3 Waypoints?

TheSauvaaage

Wasn't the viggen made in the same Era? How the hell did they fit so many waypoints then? Stop comparing this to the f5 which was a low budget plane, and the f18 which came like 15 years later.

Compare it to viggen. Same Era plane lol.

That being said, jester can reassign wp right?

I need to figure out how to do it from the map or whatever that option is.

• Like 1

The F-14 wasn't designed for low level/deep strike missions that might benefit from being able to follow a detailed flight plan e.g. to avoid threats. I'd guess this is why it doesn't have the ability to hold that many waypoints.

Pretty much this. As someone said earlier, its a 60's - 70's cold war jet designed for interception and fleet protection. Strike and deep strike capabilities were all 90's era modifications they attached to the airframe.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

How do you know the requested/required altitude for the next waypoint? Do you all check the F10 map? In the F-18 it is shown in the Data page on the HSI, but F-14?

Couldn't Jester call out the FL or Angels?

The information would be written on your kneeboard before the flight but if you plan e.g. in MP, the RIO can also check the altitude of waypoints using the CAP functions.

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X

AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 

G.Skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz

Wasn't the viggen made in the same Era? How the hell did they fit so many waypoints then? Stop comparing this to the f5 which was a low budget plane, and the f18 which came like 15 years later.

Compare it to viggen. Same Era plane lol.

That being said, jester can reassign wp right?

I need to figure out how to do it from the map or whatever that option is.

The original Viggen had a computer with a similar spec as the An/AYA-6 computer. The ck37 had a memory size of between 2Kb and 8kb.

But the Viggen Version in DCS has a computer that was introduced in the mid 70s and had a 128Kb memory, and is a generation newer than the original Tomcat computer.

Also, although the number of definable waypoints may be low just think about what the Tomcat system was trying to do with 16KB. Some of this space had to be reserved for creating the track files for the radar contacts, in essence it needed to be able to create 24 moving waypoints on the fly when a track is created.

I think is pretty impressive give the resources available.

Pretty much this. As someone said earlier, its a 60's - 70's cold war jet designed for interception and fleet protection. Strike and deep strike capabilities were all 90's era modifications they attached to the airframe.

Given its mission, I'm surprised it can do more than two waypoints

1) Home

2) Target