F-20 Tigershark project

"A shame they never introduced her into service."

Not really. The USAF did way better buying the Viper. It could carry more payload farther, the Viper also shared some parts with the Eagle, keeping costs. down. F-20 was designed initially for a Hornet engine, one of the main reasons that the USAF went with Viper over the YF-17. they would have looked like fools asking for money from Congress for the F-20 after having said they wanted the F-16 because of shared engines.

I know that it has been written that the F-20 may have been the best fighter never put into production, but from a sales standpoint it was doomed. The Viper could out-everything it, and it was also proven weapons system with sales all over the world.

That said, I'd fly it!!!

Ok, can I buy a beer for you? Will really love to fly a F-20 in DCS, hope you have succes and wish I could help you somehow, so many skin possibilities... Notice all the antenas on the plane, and the USAF style receptacle for the boom, while the Kiwi bird got a refueling probe.

9q2E5KZ.jpg

FvNUnbF.jpg

ZDCnfG7.jpg

J6mW29s.jpg

ixPWmb0.jpg

QOUhqO8.jpg

• Like 1

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I will do very dirty, morally questionable things for this.

But seriously, I have some more free time coming down the pipes in the next few months. I'd love to help in some way. What kinds of skills are you looking for?

I'm curious if anyone who lives near Los Angeles could take a trip to the California Science Center to get footage of the only surviving example. It's dangling from the roof next to its T-38 cousin.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

@nibbylot - i'd be interested in working only external 3D model for this one but only if i had good blueprints, including cross-sections, else it would last longer and i'm limited in free time... If you need accurate blueprint for the side panels let me know, i found some on the internet.

"A shame they never introduced her into service."

Not really. The USAF did way better buying the Viper. It could carry more payload farther, the Viper also shared some parts with the Eagle, keeping costs. down. F-20 was designed initially for a Hornet engine, one of the main reasons that the USAF went with Viper over the YF-17. they would have looked like fools asking for money from Congress for the F-20 after having said they wanted the F-16 because of shared engines.

I know that it has been written that the F-20 may have been the best fighter never put into production, but from a sales standpoint it was doomed. The Viper could out-everything it, and it was also proven weapons system with sales all over the world.

That said, I'd fly it!!!

actually in the short term the F20 had some advantages the F16 did not.

More modern electronics: IEGlass cockpit and up front controller ( when comparing to F16A) , ANti shipping missiles, and Aim7 sparrows. Not even F16C's had Sparrow implemented ( except for the F16A ADF modification in the late 80s) and they didn't get BVR capability until AMRAAMS got integrated in a post gulf war in the early 90s.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

As I recall, another big advantage that the F-20 had over the F-16 was the navigation suite. I think it was an INS that utilized solid state gyros which allowed it to be initialized within a minute or so. This was a big selling point (or so they thought) for an interceptor standing by for a quick launch.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will do very dirty, morally questionable things for this.

But seriously, I have some more free time coming down the pipes in the next few months. I'd love to help in some way. What kinds of skills are you looking for?

I'm curious if anyone who lives near Los Angeles could take a trip to the California Science Center to get footage of the only surviving example. It's dangling from the roof next to its T-38 cousin.

Someone took a bunch of close up photos of the one in Los Angeles here:

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/northrop-f-20-tigershark/

@nibbylot - i'd be interested in working only external 3D model for this one but only if i had good blueprints, including cross-sections, else it would last longer and i'm limited in free time... If you need accurate blueprint for the side panels let me know, i found some on the internet.

PM me

Edited by nibbylot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd love to see this become a thing for sure.

978508-26441-75-720.jpg

Also, I recall claims that the maintenance cost would have been much better compared with the F-16A. While the F-20 may not have been suited for USAF squadrons, I think it would have been a great export fighter.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3