Funny fact: Am I the only one who starts all missions from cold start?

Frag

320 members have voted

1. 1. Funny fact: Am I the only one who starts all missions from cold start?

• Yes, the cold start is my way to get in the mood.
    • Pfff no, it's a lost of time.

I used to be a hard-core dedicated study sim guy and wanted to always do cold-starts. But after having started up thousands of times in the real thing (military helicopter pilot), it gets a bit old (it's the same thing over and over again)! Plus my attention span in my old age (39) is getting the best of me.
LOL I am known in my group for always wanting a hot Aircraft. I am 55 and life is too short. Spent 10 years waiting for my back seater to align the INs, I cant afford to waste any time at my age.

Too each his own tho thank goodness ED gave us the option.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

To each his own tho thank goodness ED gave us the option.

Amen brother, amen.

Like all the others, when I'm testing or fiddling with new things I do air- or runway starts. When I'm doing "real flying" the cold start is an indispensible bit of foreplay :music_whistling:

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

• 3 weeks later...

I always cold start and generally shut down to cold as well. Sometimes I even watch the rest of my flight land and park. Assigning them a parking spot helps there.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

My definite preference is for Cold Starts -- for several reasons.

1> I'm flying several different modules (F15, F18, Sabre, Huey, Frogfoot, Free Mustang), so I have 4x6 index cards I use as checklists for each eaircraft, and I find that more immersive and realistic (magically appearing in the sky just feels weird) for me, so going thru the appropriate start procedures and checklists just feels right, and it helps reinforce the various procedures for each of those birds.

2> Air / Hot starts are, for me, straight up annoying. NEVER is the particular aircraft set-up the way I would set it up when I fly it, so I'm trying to figure that stuff during spawn-in (not good), I have virtually NO SA for the situation I'm literally thrown into, and of course, almost by definition, the sh*t is hitting the fan the moment you spawn... A recipe for almost pure irritation and frustration (ymmv).

3> Cold Start also lets me (usually) set a load-out I'm comfortable with for the mission, which oftentimes, isn't what the default is.

4> As a PPL holder, I *enjoy* the entire flying experience. Sure, the combat / furball / wanton destruction is all fun and good, but I truly enjoy the whole flight process, and it feels to me, more like flying a real mission when I go thru the briefing, make notes on my mission card, and then go out to the aircraft, load it up, and fly it by the checklists... and, I enjoy the scenery and whatnot on the way to the IP while building up my SA enroute. Afterwards (if I live thru it), I enjoy the decompress of flying home, setting up my approach, trap or landing, and taxiing back to the ramp and shutting down after a mission well (hopefully) flown.

So, definitely Cold Starts for me...

Cheers,

4 ~S!~

All the missions I do are in multiple form.

Cold Start or Quick Start. That is made so if I know I don't have a 30-60 min time before I get on the mission area, then I can do it quickly in 10-15 minutes and do it couple times even for training purposes.

And then other versions like weather, so I don't always need to fly with that terrible weather if I just want to do it once in nice weather.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 10 months later...

Cold start forever! :)

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Depends on my mood. After doing 6 or so cold starts, I now do maybe 1/5th cold starts on the training servers. otherwise, auto start. For testing in editor I'm usually going to start a few minutes away from the test, not on ground.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Why would any hardcore simmer not cold start their jet? That's part of the fun, but to each his own.

Edited by BoneDust

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Cold start for all my missions. I only do air starts etc if I want to quickly test something, such as a mod working correctly or a testing for a bug.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Cold start is part of the fun. It's one of the reasons I really want the F-15 to go full fidelity, as much as I use it right now, airport operations are a bit dull compared to full aircraft. Though I will say the lack of a kneeboard checklist for startup with new modules is something I feel missing. Would be a nice addition.

All the missions I do are in multiple form.

Cold Start or Quick Start. That is made so if I know I don't have a 30-60 min time before I get on the mission area, then I can do it quickly in 10-15 minutes and do it couple times even for training purposes.

Just FYI if you're saving missions with different start times, you might be able to do it in just one mission file if you use a master timing trigger. I use Flag 1 as this trigger. It goes off just after the mission starts, and then all AI spawns and startups are set to go off a certain time since this flag. For testing I make the time small so I can start on the runway or in the air, while for real missions I set the timer to fit in a cold start + preparation on the ground.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I try to cold start as often as I can but I have limited game time; usually 45 minutes or an hour here and there. So if I end up crashing or shot down, I’ll restart and take off from runway in the interest of time. But if time wasn’t a problem, I’d cold start every time. That’s where I get immersed

I try to cold start as often as I can but I have limited game time; usually 45 minutes or an hour here and there. So if I end up crashing or shot down, I’ll restart and take off from runway in the interest of time. But if time wasn’t a problem, I’d cold start every time. That’s where I get immersed

If you're flying with other friendlies about, you can jump into other aircraft like your wingmen. I think it's R Alt + J while looking at a plane in F2. You can do this after being shot down too if you don't want to restart a mission.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Same here...I would like but time...

As long as time isn´t an issue (i.e. on weekend) i do always cold start the mission. I simply love taxi to the runway, especially on large and populated airbases. Only if time is limited or during ME mission testing i start from the runway.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I scoff at hot starts unless I’m trying to quickly practice something. Other than that it’s cold starts and alls the comms calls...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Todd1215

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

I would even say that I do not like missions that starts in mid air ... this is such a buzz killer for me.

Don't ask me why I don't know, but I DO have to start that thing by myself to get into it.

No, your not the only one. I too live dangerously by starting cold and dark every time. :D

Simply put: 99% HOT start.

When the A-10C arrived, what...10 years ago... i went for cold start but since i can put DCS aside for sometimes like 6 months, at my age, i tend to forget stuff. So most of the time it's a hot start now and in everthing else then the A-10C it's always a hot start (or cold but with the auto sequence doing it for me) simple because of the fact i can't be bothered to learn it since i might get offline next week and i forget what i've learned and have to redo it again when catching DCS again. So, all credits to hot start for me!!

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I'm middle ground, if the missions puts me in a cold start, I'll go through it, but I've owned this game for years, and cold started a thousand times. After clicking all the switches, sitting there for 3.5 minutes watching my CDU virtually count to 4.0 has lost its luster. I thoroughly enjoy it when I purchase a new module to get a really firm understanding of where everything is and what it does so when things hit the fan in the air, I know what to do and where to look. Like others have said, I'm happy it provides the option and I get value out of both options.

It's interesting how some folks feel one is more "hardcore" than others. I distinctly remember some of my friends back in the day would setup a long haul US -> Australia flight for example in FS9/X and after hitting autopilot, they'd go to sleep, wake up, and complete the remainder of the flight. It always made me laugh TBH... wow, you let you PC crunch some imaginary numbers and consume a bunch of power overnight and somehow in the morning this feels more satisfying than just slewing to where it would have been anyway and taking over from there. To each there own...

Also a PPL, and for what it's worth for those who haven't had a chance to fly a real plane, I would say IMHO and from my experience, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, flying the real thing is a lot easier than a sim. You lose so much sensation and sensory input in a sim, you end up chasing needles and it's quite difficult to get a sense of what is going on. I see a lot of folks for example get a gimbal roll or accidentally recenter their TGP, and they can't for the life of themselves immediately find the target area. Believe me, in the real thing, you'd be looking out the window 90% of the time, not in a TGP snapview, and you would know exactly where you are, where they are, and what's going on. Can be quite difficult in the sim, with virtual horse blinders on and your face smashed up to the TGP screen trying to read the font and identify a vehicle.

A car simulation is a good example... in the real world your brain is practically on autopilot, and you maintain 100kph and stay within the lines without effort, sometimes blinking 2km down the road and magically there's a different vehicle in front of you and you're asking yourself, holy $#@! how did I get here and did I miss my exit lol. Hop into a car "simulator", and just maintaining speed let alone staying right between the lines is a chore and a half, a real PITA. In the real thing, you can immediately sense the deceleration in your body and you automatically adjust with the gas pedal. I find the same in the real plane, as soon as my ass dips in the seat my brain is countering with the yoke immediately.

Lastly, for those who haven't gone up and flown, from my experience, pretty much every flying club out there has a intro special... you're looking at about $65 - $100 for an hour of flying. It will be the best $65 you ever spent, and you'll likely get your rear end out of your sim pit and find yourself with a PPL shortly after, it's like a drug. My instructor allowed me to taxi, take-off, fly and land my first time up. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for weeks.

Hot pit ready to go here!! Being ex-aircrew the novelty certainly wears off after 6 years of starting the engines and systems everytime after a 1.5hr pre-flight.

It used to be the ultimate luxury taking over from another crew with a hot pit - just get in and get on to the serious flying stuff lol.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]