Settings for Pimax5k+ and 1080TI

Sunshadow

Hi,

I just got my Pimax and trying to find the best settings. There are many different tutorials, but I'm not sure where to begin.

What are the most important settings for clarity of cockpit panels? PD in DCS, render quality in Pitool or Steam Supersampling?

Update:

I found out that Steam Supersampling has the biggest impact on clarity. With normal FOV, PITool 1.0, Steam SS 90% and DCS PD 1.1 I get acceptable results of about 35FPS.

Edited by Sunshadow

I9 9900K @ 5Ghz | MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro | KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti | 64 GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD | Pimax 5K+ | Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Wheelstand Pro Flight

Hi,

I just got my Pimax and trying to find the best settings. There are many different tutorials, but I'm not sure where to begin.

What are the most important settings for clarity of cockpit panels? PD in DCS, render quality in Pitool or Steam Supersampling?

Update:

I found out that Steam Supersampling has the biggest impact on clarity. With normal FOV, PITool 1.0, Steam SS 90% and DCS PD 1.1 I get acceptable results of about 35FPS.

Which plane, which instant mission? It matters when you're talking about FPS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What are you doing about MSAA? Without it I get shimmering lines all over the place.

Also, I'm assuming you are running on "Normal" FOV?

I've also got a 1080ti, i7 7700, 32 G ram. I got my 5k yesterday, I'll keep you posted here on what I come up with.

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

What are you guys using to measure FPS in DCS?

I tried a Steam App that I paid for (forgot the name, FPS maybe?) and it just kept crashing so I ditched it.

I use the in game fps counter. Have assigned to a button and toggle it on and off.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I got my pimax few weeks ago.

I find that msaa cuts fps in half.

It's true without it there is a lot of shimmering.

Let's hope in some optimization from ED

That sounds about right.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I run 4X MSAA. Not that you need 4X but without MSAA its a mess. I am however running a 2080TI.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

My recommended setting is: start saving money for a 2080Ti ASAP.

Edit: also start praying for some DCS improvements to reduce CPU load.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Not sure if an upgrade from 1080 to a 2080ti is worth it for DCS?

Oh yeah it is. I came from a founders edition 1080 to the 2080Ti and DAAAAAAAAAM.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Oh yeah it is. I came from a founders edition 1080 to the 2080Ti and DAAAAAAAAAM.

Ya the 1080 to the 2080ti is a very good improvement but going from the 1080ti to a 2080ti is not worth the money. All the benchmarks from a 1080ti to a 2080ti saw mostly just a couple FPS gain. Again not worth 1100-1300 dollars for 5-10 FPS but hey if you got the money why not. Im hoping that the prices will fall soon or they release 20 series cards without RTX for a cheaper price or who knows in another year they may have the 3080ti.

Edited by A Hamburgler

Yeah, Id imagine your right on FPS. I did notice the image was sharper in VR but thats probably due to the higher settings the 2080Ti allowed. MSAAx4 is huge.

I always skip one gen. Bought the 1080, didn't buy the 1080TI, then of course they changed the pattern and released the 2080Ti day 1. Probably won't get next years model.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

No-one has mentioned it yet, but one of the biggest changes you can make is to install the VR Shaders Mod. It's a massive pain to install and keep updated (you have to wipe your shaders and reinstall the mod each update), but it lead to a huge performance increase for my 5K+/2080Ti/9900K - it took it from noticeably jerky to incredibly smooth at 1.5PD/72hz.

No-one has mentioned it yet, but one of the biggest changes you can make is to install the VR Shaders Mod. It's a massive pain to install and keep updated (you have to wipe your shaders and reinstall the mod each update), but it lead to a huge performance increase for my 5K+/2080Ti/9900K - it took it from noticeably jerky to incredibly smooth at 1.5PD/72hz.

Of course i dont play without it.

Last time I installed it there were artifacts around the edges of my rift. Beyond annoying. Is that fixed in the latest version?

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet