ENGINE SOUNDS KINDA DISAPPOINTING

itzdsay

The internal button / throttle noise is down right irritating in my single opinion and breaks immersion, very unrealistic which drives me round the proverbial pole. Rather than complaining about it I wouldn't mind finding a way to disable them.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The internal button / throttle noise is down right irritating in my single opinion and breaks immersion, very unrealistic which drives me round the proverbial pole. Rather than complaining about it I wouldn't mind finding a way to disable them.

I would have to second that - I know Cobra mentioned that you can 'hear' the AB detent click when moving the throttle. I don't know about anyone else - but I hear a whole litany of clicks and clacks as I move the throttle so have no idea which one of those is the AB detent lol.

I would love to get rid of some of the clikity-clacks from the throttle. Super annoying when flying formation/refuelling etc.

The button noise in general is pretty loud also - probably a good representation of what they sound like in a quiet cockpit in the hangar, but not in a running aircraft.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem with throttles is the wide variety of controllers. It is a quandary. You need feedback for the burner detent, which was outboard for us.

There are other very cool things in development that will help immersion. You guys were screaming for the module to release and fighting about the sidereal definition of winter, so...

Viewpoints are my own.

The problem with throttles is the wide variety of controllers. It is a quandary. You need feedback for the burner detent, which was outboard for us.

There are other very cool things in development that will help immersion. You guys were screaming for the module to release and fighting about the sidereal definition of winter, so...

:lol:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Interesting post form the guy that did the Hornet sound mod.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3857775&postcount=36

I've been poking around with it, and made some good progress: couple of things HB needs to address before I even think about a release of any kind;

Most of the external samples are played at any speed, even when the aircraft is stationary, like the "Flyby" sounds for both front/rear. These need to be activated past a certain speed threshold, like the Hornet's. Otherwise things sound overpowered - not to mention not very immersive. I had this issue in ArmA; I overcame this by activating a threshold at which the audio would play. I guarantee that this can be done in DCS - because I've delt with it before, but I don't have the ability to make such changes myself (nor does the rest of the modding community).

Sound load times: the aircraft seems to take several seconds before loading the external sound sets in-game while switching between internal/external cameras. Say you are in-cockpit and switch to F3/F11 views, it will take the sim a few moments to load these samples (unlike the Hornet where it is pretty instantaneous).

If HB can polish up how the sim handles these samples I would be happy to assist in getting things polished more/more immersive sounding, but there's not much I can do when you can hear flyby sounds as the aircraft is taxing around the apron.

I wish I can do more, but until these things are addressed - I am a bit stuck, unfortunately.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

:lol: that shitshow was awful and hilarious at the same time.

Personally I find it hilarious in general how you folk up there refer so heavily to 'seasons' for the release of everything and anything. I wouldn't have a clue (or care) when one finishes and another starts..it just gets hotter or colder as the year progresses.

I can only assume it allows for a rather large 'leeway' in a release.."Coming this fall (that's autumn for everyone else on the planet BTW)..." - right, so release sometime in a 3 month window :lol:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not much will change on the sound front- I think we're close to final. I'm pleased with where we are at present, especially inside. Expecting a Hornet howl from a Tomcat is somewhat unfeasible.

Fly-by sounds may see some improvement down the line- but again- we can't give it some sort of special sound that it didn't have in reality.

So it is intended that closing the canopy makes no difference at all to outside engine sounds? ... thats reallly disappointing...... the most basic dcs module has at least some variation. :(

tbh it seems as though there has been a reduction in external sounds for all aircraft. There for example no longer being any clearly defined sonic boom anymore.

Noticed that several patches ago. Thought it was just me.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Not much will change on the sound front- I think we're close to final. I'm pleased with where we are at present, especially inside. Expecting a Hornet howl from a Tomcat is somewhat unfeasible.

Fly-by sounds may see some improvement down the line- but again- we can't give it some sort of special sound that it didn't have in reality.

Whoa, final?! I thought sounds have greatest need for improvement. It all sounds like wip or very amateur as it is now, inside cockpit and outside. Please rethink the final status or at least make the fixes that’ll allow mods to be created re:

What about the F-14 always sounding like its blowing past at full mil? the sounds are probably like most others have said a weak point, everything else exceeds even the highest expectations but sound handling, the engines should bleed well over the ECS with the canopy open also.

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

I mean this with respect, but that’s exactly what you’ve done with the interior sounds. You may have recorded every dial and switch in a real F-14, but the mix is so intentionally skewed it bares little resemblance to what flying a Tomcat actually sounds like. I personally hope the “final” state of the sounds is reconsidered.

Interesting post form the guy that did the Hornet sound mod.

I have noticed the same delays he has

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

tbh it seems as though there has been a reduction in external sounds for all aircraft. There for example no longer being any clearly defined sonic boom anymore.

I think sonic boom was gone over a year ago.

I've been reading this forum's F-14 discussion for about 6 months now and HB sounds pretty arrogant firm, when compared to ED's Hornet for example. They just think it's okay like this and not listen to paying customers. Kind of bad business to me.

I know the sounds were called out early and often as needing improvement and I don't know why HB's so stubborn about maintaining the status quo, but there's definitely no need for accusations or name calling. Cobra and crew have been friendly and open to suggestions from the start, even in the face of a sometimes hostile community. Just today they said they'd modify the SW tone that was giving people fits, among many many other suggestions they've listened to.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Noticed that several patches ago. Thought it was just me.

Yeah, I only just noticed it with the launch of the F-14 as I've been out of the game for about year.

Was very sad to discover the degradation in sound for all aircraft.

So it doesn't seem like it's a HB issue.

Found a cockpit video on Youtube without music. Sound quality is not the best but I cannot hear any engines at all once canopy is closed. I imagine it comes quite close to what Victory205 described.

Good lord the air con in that thing is freaking loud. It's no wonder Victory wore ear plugs under his helmet.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

The Tomcat ECS was exceptionally loud, I have permanent hearing damage from flying it. The helmet alone wasn’t enough protection.

I don’t remember ever hearing the engines with the canopy closed. If they were audible, it had no affect on my ability to fly it.

On the ground, the GEs had a very distinctive high-pitched whine in front of the jet. The Tomcat was strange in that it was louder in front of it than behind it. When it turned away, the high pitch whine gave way to a low rumble that was much easier on the ears. I didn’t notice this with any other jet.

So it is intended that closing the canopy makes no difference at all to outside engine sounds? ... thats reallly disappointing...... the most basic dcs module has at least some variation. :(

No.

That will be corrected.

Regarding engine whine not being audible in the real tomcat due to the ECS; we know. We intentionally kept the whine audible as a feedback cue.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I think sonic boom was gone over a year ago.

I've been reading this forum's F-14 discussion for about 6 months now and HB sounds pretty arrogant firm, when compared to ED's Hornet for example. They just think it's okay like this and not listen to paying customers. Kind of bad business to me.

Probably the first time I've heard that said about us. Tomcat fame must be getting to our heads :D

The crux of the matter is that I won't say; "Yes- that will improve!" when we have no plans to revisit or revise.

That would just end up being a lie. We're not going to rip apart the entire sound gamut and re-mix everything. We're close to final.

Those who are unhappy with our design choices to provide sound feedback and skew the mix have the option of very simple .sdef or sample edits to adjust. It's a sucky answer, but we're knee deep in subjectivity on that front.

Expecting vast improvements in all facets of a module just because there is an Early Access tag on it is not quite the expectation I'd hope you have. If we're satisfied with something, we won't revise it just because it's EA.

That said, close to final does not mean final. Flyby sounds will see some improvements, so will wind noise with the canopy jettisoned, or appropriate volume changes based on canopy status.

But by far and wide, we feel that both external and internal sounds are in a good place. Even moreso, we're proud of them and feel that it sounds great.

We'll try to do what we can to alleviate for those who don't agree, but never at the expense of honesty through false promises of some future overhaul that won't happen.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/