ENGINE SOUNDS KINDA DISAPPOINTING

itzdsay

Maybe things get bit better once the F-16 gets released so that those EG F110 sounds can be somehow used.

Our sounds are sounds directly sampled from a running F-14B. In a way it's ironic, because they're the most "authentic" samples we use today.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's an issue with the source, but more the levels and the effort put into, or lack thereof, mixing them.

Fixed it for you. And I haven't touched DCS sounds since the Lock-on days. If I, a relatively inexperienced sound modder can improve it, I'm sure you guys could have. :music_whistling:

I'll push it up to the community ASAP.

1. Corrected the intake sounds by replacing it with a custom one and increased the gain to better reflect a Tomcat.

2. Blended the Rear Close and Flyby sounds by decreasing their volume and increasing the cone on the Flyby Side sound to better match the new intake sounds.

3. Reduce the volume of the Front Flyby sound to better reflect not being able to hear the tail pipes so loudly as the aircraft approaches. The original was on all the time and loud at that. Not in the least what one would expect looking at the front of a taxiing Tomcat.

Like I said, it's a levels thing.

This is what a GE F-110 equipped Tomcat should sound like in DCS. At least as close as I could get it. I'm no sound modding expert. So, once I upload it, if anyone wants to take it and run with it, be my guest. Just mention me in the credits so I'll know to download it and replace my version with yours, as I'm sure someone can do a better job than me. I was just so fed up with it I gave it a try today and spent 6 hours dinking with it. I'm okay with the way it turned out. :)

Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

I agree. That screech or whistle is F-14 trademark, but it seems to be overwhelming. Otherwise, it is an improvement. The fly by isn’t Hornet quality, but it’s an improvement. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I don't think it's an issue with the source, but more the levels and the effort put into, or lack thereof, mixing them.

Fixed it for you. And I haven't touched DCS sounds since the Lock-on days. If I, a relatively inexperienced sound modder can improve it, I'm sure you guys could have. :music_whistling:

1. Corrected the intake sounds by replacing it with a custom one and increased the gain to better reflect a Tomcat.

2. Blended the Rear Close and Flyby sounds by decreasing their volume and increasing the cone on the Flyby Side sound to better match the new intake sounds.

3. Reduce the volume of the Front Flyby sound to better reflect not being able to hear the tail pipes so loudly as the aircraft approaches. The original was on all the time and loud at that. Not in the least what one would expect looking at the front of a taxiing Tomcat.

This is what a GE F-110 equipped Tomcat should sound like in DCS. At least as close as I could get it. I'm no sound modding expert. So, once I upload it, if anyone wants to take it and run with it, be my guest. Just mention me in the credits so I'll know to download it and replace my version with yours, as I'm sure someone can do a better job than me. I was just so fed up with it I gave it a try today and spent 6 hours dinking with it. I'm okay with the way it turned out. :)

That's a billion times better. LOVE IT!

How can I download it? :)

Having to compromise on the flyby view. The intake sounds cause a whistle. If I reduce the radius so that doesn't happen, then when you zoom out about 200 feet from the aircraft, the intakes go silent. Perhaps someone else with some knowledge of the sound engine can take it a bit further. It's a good start.

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

HOLY SMOKES - That's fantastic!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Bananimal, THANK YOU!! I've been waiting for a mod since day one.

F-14 is currently my favorite module, phenomenally well done in every respect except the sounds. Both in-cockpit and outside they are terrible, easily the worst in DCS (or at least the modules I own). The haphazard 3D implementation in-cockpit is particularly obnoxious.

The only thing I'll disagree with you on is that I doubt this is due to laziness. While the flight model and external textures have been claimed to be in various states of finish for over a year now, the sounds were explicitly stated to be temporary almost up until release in March. I get the impression that either the 'sound guy' did the best he could and just doesn't have the skills for this sort of development, or HB doesn't have an actual sound guy at all and it was a second hat worn by another member of the team. The poor state of the F-14 sounds is much more likely a consequence of budget and/or lack of skill than laziness.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

My only issue with the sound is that the flyby lacks punch. Your mod still retains the issue, which is the sudden drop in tone and volume as the plane passes the camera:

It should be the opposite. The sound should suddenly get much louder and more intense:

The interior sounds are the absolute best in the whole DCS lineup. But external sounds seem to be harder to nail down.

Also, @Hummingbird, the thread you linked contains this message:

Please keep in mind that third-party modules, like F-14 or MIG-19, are not within our competence and you should write them in a specific branch about your wishes.

Edited by Sergeant_Hamlet
corrected second video link

I'm actually quite impressed with HB's F-14 sounds compared to the rest, I say this because I know that it isn'tHB's fault that the external sounds are quite odd atm, it's a problem ALL DCS modules share. BUT it's important to note here that this is being worked on by ED!: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=237255

You’re impressed with HB’s sounds because it isn’t their fault that they suck? That’s...a little confusing but ok.

I see the [DCS BUG] label a lot here in the HB forums, and no doubt DCS has a ton of issues, but minus a technical hangup or two the poor sound quality, and especially the awful quality of the sound mix is very much a HB problem. And I’m not saying other modules and DCS in general don’t have sound issues, they obviously do. But the now hundreds of posts on multiple threads of “wtf is wrong with F-14 sounds” clearly shows that the Tomcat in particular has problems.

The link you provided deals almost exclusively with the returning sonic boom, which, good news of course, but contains no mention of any of the technical details which HB claim are limiting their sound profiles. Overall, of course ED is working on their own sound engine. They should be.

The interior sounds are the absolute best in the whole DCS lineup.
:megalol:

You may like them more than in other modules. You may think they’re more ‘fun’ or ‘interesting’ or ‘immersive’ or whatever, but if we’re using realism as the metric then HB missed the mark by a wide margin. Don’t believe me? Ask Victory205, former Tomcat pilot and one of HB’s own SME’s, if this is what it sounds like flying in a real Tomcat cockpit.

Less subjectively, what about the broken 3D implementation with jarring spatial changes of environmental sounds? (This is most obvious when using VR.) Or the lack of environmental changes at all with canopy opening/closing? Or if you lose your canopy in flight (Jester eject) and you can hilariously still hear your clickety-clack throttles clacking away?

I’m going to guess that you have no frame of reference at all what it’s like to be on, in, or near a combat aircraft. That’s ok, not everyone gets that opportunity. Or maybe you have and for some reason just really prefer an arcade-y approach to your simulations. Weird, but everyone is different.

But again, if realism is the metric then HB’s F-14 sounds, external and internal, fall far short.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Mod is available. Go get it.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Yes, the issue persists in my mod because I'm not familiar with how it all works. There's some things you can and can't do within the limitations of the DCS sound engine. But, at least the intakes now sound like and F-14B. It's a start.

Don't get me wrong, the intake mod sounds incredible. Great work on that. I was talking about the flyby sound in general, with or without the mod. I just used your video because it was an easy example :)

I did not mean to imply that it was your duty to fix it.

Edited by Sergeant_Hamlet

Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My only issue with the sound is that the flyby lacks punch. Your mod still retains the issue, which is the sudden drop in tone and volume as the plane passes the camera:

It should be the opposite. The sound should suddenly get much louder and more intense:

The interior sounds are the absolute best in the whole DCS lineup. But external sounds seem to be harder to nail down.

Also, @Hummingbird, the thread you linked contains this message:

I think he's refering to other sounds here, such as when close up to the aircraft. AFAIK the new sonic boom effect will apply to all the jets, or atleast allow the 3rd party devs to make their own as apparently we lost the sonic boom effect we previously had for ALL jets due to some issues with coding and performance.