[NO BUG] LANTIRN - "RATES"

Jarlerus

Hello.

Trying (and failing) to get the LANTIRN pod to work.

(Low, clear conditions, A2G, all set).

When pressing "point track" nothing happens.

When I press "area track" it goes into "RATES" and it just "freezes" the position of the pod (basically holds heading and pitch of the pod seeker).

See attached screenshot.

What does RATES mean? I can't find anything on it in the manual.

//Jarl

Edit: All attempts where made in MP, with me as the Server - attempts where made with me in both Pilot and RIO seat. My mate can get POINT and AREA to work well in SP.

RATES.thumb.jpg.073c8681fd703e944c76d2d94bde20bd.jpg

Edited by IronMike

From my experience so far, you don't have enough contrast there to acquire or maintain a lock.

I assume you think I tried to lock the ground shown in the screenshot.

The screenshot does not illustrate what I tried to lock. I tried to lock those units and shelters to the right in the picture.

If you're using an axis to slew the LANTIRN TGP, make sure you have a sufficient deadzone to ensure no unintended movement. Its been noted that some joysticks are 'noisy' and any input at all will throw the pod back into RATES.

If you're using an axis to slew the LANTIRN TGP, make sure you have a sufficient deadzone to ensure no unintended movement. Its been noted that some joysticks are 'noisy' and any input at all will throw the pod back into RATES.

Interesting. Going to look into it. Thanks.

Rates just means the pod isn't tracking any point on the ground (or area) and the picture you get will move along as the aircraft as it moves. (Basically the camera isn't moving to track anything but instead is just pointing on one direction)

Make sure you enter A2G mode before trying to go AREA or POINT track and you're within 25nm of the target you want to look at.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Also make sure that the mission has clear weather. The pod won't track if there are clouds, dust or fog enabled in the mission editor, regardless of the density.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

;3858202']Rates just means the pod isn't tracking any point on the ground (or area) and the picture you get will move along as the aircraft as it moves. (Basically the camera isn't moving to track anything but instead is just pointing on one direction)

Make sure you enter A2G mode before trying to go AREA or POINT track and you're within 25nm of the target you want to look at.

OK, thanks. And check on A2G and distance. :)

Also make sure that the mission has clear weather. The pod won't track if there is dust or fog enabled in the mission editor, regardless of the density.

Hmm! Interesting. I'll double check the mission I'm testing in.

Thanks.

The devs already said they will be adjusting this behaviour.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 years later...

Just found this after looking for solution for my problem with Lantrin POD.

The "RATES" is displayed when you move the Lantrin IR head.

So if you continuously are getting "RATES" mode it is because your stick is noisy and you need to add the dead zone to prevent this from happening.

You can also not use analog and base on digital slew.

This is actually nasty that any slew switches the mode to "RATES" as for novice user it might seems as a Lantrin being stuck in some weird state while this is just analog input issue.

Edited by Rosly