? Is it possible to download dcsworld 2.5 on my laptop and transfer it to my desktop?

G3

hello all, G3 here, it has been a while, quite a while, but I am back :)

hopefully a few of you may remember me :)

just scored a gtx1080 and keen to get dcsworld 2.5 running and check out how it looks these days.

here is my predicament:

I want to install dcs to my desktop,

I have no internet at home

I have a laptop that I can download dcsworld on via internet elsewhere

Question:

Is it possible to download dcsworld 2.5 on my laptop and transfer it to my desktop?

Please advise if you know a way to achieve my task, or just want to say hi :)

Brief history for reference:

big fan of the the f-15c and the BS,

I am just about to upgrade (tonight) from a roughly 10 year old tri-sli gtx280 setup, to a gtx 1080,

dare say I may see a slight improvement in performance,

and for reference I am putting it in an old e8600 @ 4Ghz with 8gig ddr3 and an ssd with the win10 x64

giddy with anticipation :thumbup:

Edited by G3
solved

You can download dcs on the laptop, just dont activate your modules on it. Then you copy the whole folder to the desktop ... however you will need internet to connect to dcs with your account and for activating the modules. Perhaps you can put a wifi adapter to your home pc and share internet from a smartphone?

Edit: 8 gb is very minimum, perhaps you should try to add another 8 once you are able to get dcs working on that pc ... also, the e8600 is too weak for dcs ... it will work, but the performance wont be good.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am just about to upgraded (tonight) from a roughly 10 year old tri-sli gtx280 setup, to a gtx 1080, dare say I may see a slight improvement in performance, and for reference I am putting it in an old e8600 @ 4Ghz with 8gig ddr3 and an ssd with the win10 x64

giddy with anticipation :thumbup:

I had to go that painful road on my secondary rig,also. (at least for now)

My open beta install is running on a E6750@3.1GHz, a GTX 970 and also 8GB RAM, WIN 10 64bit on SSD. (Too bad the P-35 chipst of the mainboard only supports 8 GB of DDR2 RAM).

It runs the A-10C module o.k'ish (maybe 35fps in medium quality) in the 1st instant action mission, even with a headtracking software in the background.

Had the impression, with Windows 10 now installed, it even runs a little bit smoother than with Windows 7.

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

Roal Bavarian Airforce all the way

NEW RIGRYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

yes, the old e8600 cpu seems to be struggling to feed the gtx1080 which i suspected would be the case.

funnily enough at present in other games the performance increased as i turned the graphics settings up, yes you read that right,

it turned out without vsync enabled the new card would have a very high fps and this was loading the old cpu @ 100% killing performance.

i found that turning up the graphics settings would load up the videocard reducing fps and increasing overall performance, i found that rather amusing :) ,

enabling vsync sorted all that out, but yes a slightly more modern pc is on the way :)

I have lined up a z170a motherboard, an i7 6700k and 16gig ddr4 3200

back to the point:

thanks, you have both given me the answer i was hoping for,

So it's really that simple, sounds too good to be true :)

DCS from laptop to desktop.

1. download/install on the laptop

2. copy entire folder from laptop to desktop

3. connect to internet via mobile phone to activate modules etc.

Q. how big is a fresh dcsworld 2.5 install these days?

Edited by G3

If you never run the installer on the desktop you may have some issues. I would run it on the desktop even though it can't download, just to try and build the /user folder structure and get the registry entries. Cancel out of it, and then copy over from the laptop. DCS also requires a handful of redistributable system files you may have to bring over.

Many modules now use account authentication as DRM. If you can never connect on that rig, they won't work. Those modules that still use the old DRM have already started being moved to the new system. This means in the near future DCS will require an internet connection, at least when you launch it each time. All updates are also delivered using the installer. This would also be a problem without a connection.

Size of your install depends on modules, with maps being the big disk users. I think even a base install is in the 30GB range.

Good luck.

Edited by Paganus

DCS from laptop to desktop.

1. download/install on the laptop

Yes, you download the installer, then run it to let it download the remainder of the game ... once the game finishes to install completely, dont run it .. or if it starts automatically then dont enter your user credentials ... that should be done once you've copied everything to your final PC.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Or, with luck, you will have a friend with Internet and you take your PC over and do it there. Be sure to take care of him with a new module, ;) You can fly without the internet, but you will be forced to log into the internet about once every two weeks or so to (verify accounts and DRM's) ensure things are on the up and up.

Update:

mission successful

at a friends place i downloaded dcsworld 2.5 to a usb stick with my laptop

once all the unpacking and installing was completed and without starting dcs, i then copied the dcsworld folder to my desktop

next i created a desktop shortcut for both the dcs and the updater then gave it a go

at first i got an missing file error but remembered from previous experience that it had something to do with one of two things: directx and/or the ms visual c++

so i headed to the included distro folder and ran dxsetup and both the ms visual C++ redistributable packages, after that everything started up just fine.

then to finish, hot-spot the phone to get internet, logged in and downloaded the F-15c

So in a nutshell:

download dcsworld on laptop

transfer dcsworld folder to desktop

run all files in the "distro" folder

get online, log in

download desired modules

enjoy!

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by G3

Glad to know that all went well, I had forgot about the runtimes :)

Cheers.